Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 Miyata Grand Touring 1000

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1981 Miyata Grand Touring 1000

Old 05-06-20, 08:09 PM
  #1  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
1981 Miyata Grand Touring 1000

Unbelievably happy to pick up this old girl for $75! Best Buy of my life! She’s a beauty!
‘Note that I have the original front rim, the front tire was flat so I installed this one temporarily.
surprised to see 2 listed on eBay one for $1000 and the other for $1,600.

Did I just score?
was it a home run!

super excited to share









Rdrett is offline  
Likes For Rdrett:
Old 05-06-20, 08:13 PM
  #2  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,747

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 156 Posts
dunno. looks kinda huge and unrideable.

Great score.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Likes For USAZorro:
Old 05-06-20, 08:47 PM
  #3  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
dunno. looks kinda huge and unrideable.

Great score.
she is a big girl, biggest that I can handle and I can handle some big girls, 6 foot tall.
I just picked her up today and switch out the front wheel and she rides like a dream.
but she needs a lot of work to make her rideable.
Rdrett is offline  
Likes For Rdrett:
Old 05-06-20, 09:22 PM
  #4  
bargo68
Senior Member
 
bargo68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fairfax, California
Posts: 225

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 1979 Miyata Gran Touring, 1983 Miyata Ridge Runner, 1997 Serotta Atlanta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Nice score! She looks like she could use a bath, among other things, but they've got strong bones!
Here's my 79 Gran Touring:


bargo68 is offline  
Likes For bargo68:
Old 05-06-20, 09:57 PM
  #5  
bikeaddiction1
Senior Member
 
bikeaddiction1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 244

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Nice! Very good deal.
bikeaddiction1 is offline  
Old 05-07-20, 04:26 AM
  #6  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,191

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 80 Posts
Yes, that's a very nice bike. You're lucky to have gotten the front rack--they ride extremely well with a front load. The crankset is non-original.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 05-07-20, 07:48 AM
  #7  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Yes, that's a very nice bike. You're lucky to have gotten the front rack--they ride extremely well with a front load. The crankset is non-original.
i suspected that the crank wasn’t original, `the seller did mention something about the crank.i could of swore that it had the rear rack the first time I seen it. There was a bolt sticking out the hole without a nut on it for the rear rack and 2 screws that was hand tight so it was on there not long ago.


The seller said that it has thousands of miles on it, he said it was all over Australia and the US.

i am surprised to see the original 40 spoke rear rim with that many miles on it.
Rdrett is offline  
Old 05-08-20, 04:16 PM
  #8  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 12,255

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett View Post
Unbelievably happy to pick up this old girl for $75! Best Buy of my life! She’s a beauty!
‘Note that I have the original front rim, the front tire was flat so I installed this one temporarily.
surprised to see 2 listed on eBay one for $1000 and the other for $1,600.

Did I just score?
was it a home run!

super excited to share
Excellent Score!!!

These bikes are really cool- there's so many ways to take the build and still end up with an ultra classy machine! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for it!


As far as those prices- Those are HUGELY inflated. Keep in mind, anyone can list whatever they want at whatever price they want- it doesn't mean anyone is buying it. To get a better idea of what people would be paying is to change the search terms under 'advanced' to 'sold' or 'completed.' A mid 80s-early 90s M1000 would tend to be more desirable, thus command more money. These days tourers are going for much less than they were 5-10 years ago. You still got a hell of a score.

Best!
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 05:23 AM
  #9  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,191

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett View Post

i am surprised to see the original 40 spoke rear rim with that many miles on it.
Not so surprising--in my experience, the original Araya rims are as close to indestructible as any rim can possibly be. Especially the 40-spoke ones. The 27-inch rims do limit your tire options, though, especially with regard to width.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 06:44 AM
  #10  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,107

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Not so surprising--in my experience, the original Araya rims are as close to indestructible as any rim can possibly be. Especially the 40-spoke ones. The 27-inch rims do limit your tire options, though, especially with regard to width.
My thoughts exactly. Great score, Rdrett ! That bike is one for which I am always on the lookout. If I had that, I'd do a 700c or maybe 650b conversion. The latter wheel size might be problematic based on the location of your cantilever studs, but there are ways around that also.
__________________
Most powerful nation on Earth, and we failed to come up with something better than these two.

J.Higgins is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 07:01 AM
  #11  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,191

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
...I'd do a 700c or maybe 650b conversion. The latter wheel size might be problematic based on the location of your cantilever studs, but there are ways around that also.
Not to hijack the original thread, but is there really a way to go from 27" to 650B without having a framebuilder reposition the cantilever studs? I found it challenging enough to convert my 1000 from 27" to 700C.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 07:16 AM
  #12  
SurferRosa
Señor Member
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 2,919

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 571 Posts
That poor Cyclone rear mech looks like it's in some serious pain.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 07:19 AM
  #13  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 1,580

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, ‘86 Miyata 710, ‘91 Cannondale ST600, ‘84 Trek 610, 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 150 Posts
Yeah, $1,400.00 for a miyata 1K is dreamland, but I think the late ‘80s and early ‘90s models are worth between 4-600 or there abouts, at least to me, who really likes touring bikes AND Miyata’s.

But dude, 75 bucks is a SCREAMING deal! I’ve seen those old Sears bikes go for 75! I don’t think Myata was using their own tubing yet, but I bet it rides really sweet. I’d love to take a spin on a pre-80’s GT.
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 07:23 AM
  #14  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 1,580

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, ‘86 Miyata 710, ‘91 Cannondale ST600, ‘84 Trek 610, 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett View Post
i suspected that the crank wasn’t original, `the seller did mention something about the crank.i could of swore that it had the rear rack the first time I seen it. There was a bolt sticking out the hole without a nut on it for the rear rack and 2 screws that was hand tight so it was on there not long ago.


The seller said that it has thousands of miles on it, he said it was all over Australia and the US.

i am surprised to see the original 40 spoke rear rim with that many miles on it.
Ask the seller if he has that rear rack, it’d be worth it to have the original one.
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 08:39 AM
  #15  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly View Post
Ask the seller if he has that rear rack, it’d be worth it to have the original one.
the seller has a lot of sentimental value for the bike. He asked me to send him some pictures when I get it on the road.
The rack was definitely on there not long ago judging by the bolt without a nut on it just sitting in the hole and the 2 side bolts there and just hand tight. I could of swore I seen that rack on there when I went there in the morning to fix his refrigerator but by the time I got back at the end of the day to pick the bike The rack was gone.

I was planning on sending him some pictures after I get it back on the road like he requested and at that time mentioning the rear rack to him.
Rdrett is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 08:43 AM
  #16  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
My thoughts exactly. Great score, Rdrett ! That bike is one for which I am always on the lookout. If I had that, I'd do a 700c or maybe 650b conversion. The latter wheel size might be problematic based on the location of your cantilever studs, but there are ways around that also.
Is it your size? I think that it might be a little bit too big for me or my son.
i can just barely stand over the bike.
Rdrett is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 09:34 AM
  #17  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,107

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett View Post
Is it your size? I think that it might be a little bit too big for me or my son.
i can just barely stand over the bike.
Did you measure it? It looks like a 58 to my uncalibrated eyeballs. A 58cm is about as tall as I want to go nowadays, what with my own shrinking issues. I got shrinkage I tell ya!
__________________
Most powerful nation on Earth, and we failed to come up with something better than these two.

J.Higgins is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 09:39 AM
  #18  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Did you measure it? It looks like a 58 to my uncalibrated eyeballs. A 58cm is about as tall as I want to go nowadays, what with my own shrinking issues. I got shrinkage I tell ya!
From center of crank to top of frame where the seat post goes in is 25 inches.
stand over height is 35 inches
Rdrett is offline  
Likes For Rdrett:
Old 05-09-20, 09:44 AM
  #19  
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 19,938

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 154 Posts
Nice score! I love sport touring bikes of that general vintage
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324
Capo: 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 09:47 AM
  #20  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,107

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett View Post
From center of crank to top of frame where the seat post goes in is 25 inches.
stand over height is 35 inches
That's 63cm. No wonder its big! Guess I'll have to re-calibrate my eye with a cup of coffee!
__________________
Most powerful nation on Earth, and we failed to come up with something better than these two.

J.Higgins is offline  
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 05-09-20, 09:51 AM
  #21  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,107

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Not to hijack the original thread, but is there really a way to go from 27" to 650B without having a framebuilder reposition the cantilever studs? I found it challenging enough to convert my 1000 from 27" to 700C.
I have used these successfully, but I'm still leary of them. Mavic also used to make some horseshoe-looking device that raised or lowered your canti posts, but I believe they are hard to source now. Perhaps Mavic stopped making them.
__________________
Most powerful nation on Earth, and we failed to come up with something better than these two.

J.Higgins is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 10:57 AM
  #22  
jonwvara 
Senior Member
 
jonwvara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington County, Vermont, USA
Posts: 3,191

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
I have used these successfully, but I'm still leary of them. Mavic also used to make some horseshoe-looking device that raised or lowered your canti posts, but I believe they are hard to source now. Perhaps Mavic stopped making them.
Assuming the Promax folks are right about the extenders adding 16mm of reach, that that should suffice for a 700 to 650B conversion, but would be well short of what you'd need to go from 27 to 650B. Or maybe I'm doing the math wrong. Have you actually used these to go all the way from 27 (630) to 650B (584)? It would be cool if they did work.
__________________
www.redclovercomponents.com

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
jonwvara is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 01:01 PM
  #23  
BikeWonder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Calgary
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 46 Posts
I have an '82.
I switched from 27 inch to 700c a while back. It looks like the stays were spread to 126mm by the previous owner.
I had no issues doing the wheel conversion. I will note the 40 spoke rear wheel is strong, but heavy. However, I have no doubt that the wheel will last a long time! The bike goes well with brown and silver accents, much like mine. Only downside is the lack of braze-ons, which ultimately may affect the value.

BikeWonder is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 01:46 PM
  #24  
Rdrett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder View Post
I have an '82.
I switched from 27 inch to 700c a while back. It looks like the stays were spread to 126mm by the previous owner.
I had no issues doing the wheel conversion. I will note the 40 spoke rear wheel is strong, but heavy. However, I have no doubt that the wheel will last a long time! The bike goes well with brown and silver accents, much like mine. Only downside is the lack of braze-ons, which ultimately may affect the value.

beautiful bike. When you say lack of braze-ons are you referring to the shifter levers? Any other braze-ons besides the shifter levers missing?
i thought about putting bar end shifters on like bargo’s bike if I keep it.
Rdrett is offline  
Old 05-09-20, 02:36 PM
  #25  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,107

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara View Post
Assuming the Promax folks are right about the extenders adding 16mm of reach, that that should suffice for a 700 to 650B conversion, but would be well short of what you'd need to go from 27 to 650B. Or maybe I'm doing the math wrong. Have you actually used these to go all the way from 27 (630) to 650B (584)? It would be cool if they did work.
I've only used them for a 27" to 700c conversion. Most of the downsizing conversions I do lately, I just get a longer-reach brake. The Paul Racer is excellent for that, and you can get them for braze-on bosses. Money well spent imho.
__________________
Most powerful nation on Earth, and we failed to come up with something better than these two.

J.Higgins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.