Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are these french threaded?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are these french threaded?

Old 09-20-20, 04:46 PM
  #1  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Are these french threaded?

Sorry to start yet another thread relating to my Motobecane build woes- but it's almost done! These pedals were given to me off of what I was told was an early 70s Pugeot. However, the spindle ends say L and R not D and G. They need to go on stronglight 93 cranks. Is there an easy way to test without risking damage?



polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-20-20, 04:52 PM
  #2  
SurferRosa
Seńor Member
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,033 Posts
The axles should be standard thread and the cones should be french.
SurferRosa is offline  
Old 09-20-20, 04:53 PM
  #3  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
The axles should be standard thread and the cones should be french.
Ah, meaning they wont work, correct?
polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-20-20, 05:00 PM
  #4  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 10,765
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 652 Posts
-----

pedals are model 36

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 09-20-20, 05:06 PM
  #5  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela View Post
-----

pedals are model 36

-----
What does this indicate? Some research shows that before 1977 this model had screw on caps, which these do. Would these french pedals not be french threaded pre 1977? Is L and R a dead giveaway that they wont work?
polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-20-20, 06:13 PM
  #6  
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears
 
Charles Wahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,935
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 122 Posts
If you screw a French (one of the two standards: M14 x 1.25) into an Imperial (the other standard: 9/16-20) crank, it will be a bit wobbly, because while the thread pitch is close, the Imperial has about a 2% larger diameter. Threads (both internal and external) should be clean when you try this. You shouldn't be able to screw an Imperial-threaded pedal into a French-threaded crank without brute force. A French-threaded crank can be retapped easily for an Imperial-threaded pedal, but not vice-versa (obviously).
"The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from".
Charles Wahl is offline  
Old 09-20-20, 10:04 PM
  #7  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,345
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Are you sure your crankset is French threaded? Not all 93’s were.
due ruote is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 04:14 AM
  #8  
ltokuno
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 107

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I just took a measurement from some French threaded Lyotard pedals and they are .639". For contrast a pair of Look pedals measured .654" The French threaded pedals will tread into a bsc crank loose then appear to tighten up at the end of the thread, but I wouldn't ride on them that way. The Look pedals won't go into the french (stronglight 93) crank at all.
ltokuno is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 05:07 AM
  #9  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote View Post
Are you sure your crankset is French threaded? Not all 93’s were.
Hm, I didn’t know this. Im not sure how to measure the threads to find out.
polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 06:23 AM
  #10  
rustystrings61 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Greenwood SC USA
Posts: 1,505

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1974 Allegro No. 76, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1973 Raleigh GS, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 293 Posts
How about - gently - taking a known set of English pedals and seeing if they'll fit the Stronglights? If they don't go on at all, fine, the cranks are French threaded. As far as these Lyotard pedals go, I would suspect the L and R indicate 9/16/BSC/ISO threads, because the comparable Lyotards on my outrageously French Liberia are marked D and G. You can gently thread these Lyotards into a known BSC crank and see if they feel loose nor not.

FWIW, the only Stronglight 93s I've owned that were French-threaded were on Peugeot PX-10s; all the others had English threads either because (a) someone decided bikes sold in the Anglosphere markets should have 9/16 threads or (b) someone ran some 9/16 taps through to convert them.
rustystrings61 is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:09 AM
  #11  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61 View Post
How about - gently - taking a known set of English pedals and seeing if they'll fit the Stronglights? If they don't go on at all, fine, the cranks are French threaded. As far as these Lyotard pedals go, I would suspect the L and R indicate 9/16/BSC/ISO threads, because the comparable Lyotards on my outrageously French Liberia are marked D and G. You can gently thread these Lyotards into a known BSC crank and see if they feel loose nor not.

FWIW, the only Stronglight 93s I've owned that were French-threaded were on Peugeot PX-10s; all the others had English threads either because (a) someone decided bikes sold in the Anglosphere markets should have 9/16 threads or (b) someone ran some 9/16 taps through to convert them.
This is all good info, thank you. I tried threading these on gently and couldn’t even get one rotation in, though I’ll try with some other pedals. If they happen to be English threaded I’ll be very happy.

If not, this A08 is near me and I can pick it up for $20 and use the pedals if they look like they’ll clean up alright.Anybody have an idea if they’d be French threaded? Looks like a 75-76ish model.


polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:15 AM
  #12  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 22,558

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 767 Posts
QUOTE=polymorphself;21704262]Ah, meaning they wont work, correct?[/QUOTE]

Stronglight crank arms were marked with thread spec on the back side. "14 x 125" is metric (aka "French") thread; 9/16 x 20F is English. Unless you are the original owner, it is possible that a metric-marked arm has been re-tapped to English thread.
Attached Images
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:25 AM
  #13  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
QUOTE=polymorphself;21704262]Ah, meaning they wont work, correct?
Stronglight crank arms were marked with thread spec on the back side. "14 x 125" is metric (aka "French") thread; 9/16 x 20F is English. Unless you are the original owner, it is possible that a metric-marked arm has been re-tapped to English thread.[/QUOTE]

Ah! Well that solves it then. These are metric. 14x125 stamped on them. The Japanese pedals I have just barely begin to go in and then stop, as expected.

Thank you! Hopefully the pedals on the above A08 are French and work out for me...
polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:39 AM
  #14  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 3,442

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander MTB, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself View Post
If not, this A08 is near me and I can pick it up for $20 and use the pedals if they look like they’ll clean up alright.Anybody have an idea if they’d be French threaded? Looks like a 75-76ish model.
I'm pretty sure those pedals with have English threads. I have a similar mixte (from '70), and I replaced the cottered crank and spindle with a square taper spindle and a Sugino crankset, and I'm using the original pedals. The threads don't have a loose fit, and they've been in there for over a year now (I think they'd have backed out by now).
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:56 AM
  #15  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I'm pretty sure those pedals with have English threads. I have a similar mixte (from '70), and I replaced the cottered crank and spindle with a square taper spindle and a Sugino crankset, and I'm using the original pedals. The threads don't have a loose fit, and they've been in there for over a year now (I think they'd have backed out by now).
Dangit!
polymorphself is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 08:33 AM
  #16  
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 19,620

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21107 Post(s)
Liked 4,012 Times in 2,940 Posts
.
...I have asked this question before of someone, but ever adventurous, I will ask again. Is there some specific reason you don't want to rethread these cranks a little larger, to the now standard 9/16 ? As already stated above, it's easily done, and the only person who will be able to tell looking at the bicycle is you.

I have some French threaded pedals I will never use, if you want them. But they are not those flat platform Lyotards. I'm of the opinion that retapping to 9/16" makes a lot of practical sense in 2020, unless you enjoy the adventure of shopping on the French ebay site.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 09-21-20 at 08:36 AM.
3alarmer is online now  
Old 09-21-20, 09:18 AM
  #17  
polymorphself 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,316
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
.
...I have asked this question before of someone, but ever adventurous, I will ask again. Is there some specific reason you don't want to rethread these cranks a little larger, to the now standard 9/16 ? As already stated above, it's easily done, and the only person who will be able to tell looking at the bicycle is you.

I have some French threaded pedals I will never use, if you want them. But they are not those flat platform Lyotards. I'm of the opinion that retapping to 9/16" makes a lot of practical sense in 2020, unless you enjoy the adventure of shopping on the French ebay site.
Definitely nothing against it! I just don't know how to do it, or quickly I could find a shop to do it. I'm very pressed for time on finishing this. and basically need to figure out the pedal solution by today or have some on the way to me that will arrive before end of week. Will any good shop be able to do this?
polymorphself is offline  
Old 04-21-21, 02:51 PM
  #18  
QcJohnyGo
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Us SPD pedal to FRENCH threaded ADAPTER

Originally Posted by polymorphself View Post
Hm, I didn’t know this. Im not sure how to measure the threads to find out.
Hi! First post, and I saw a lot of discussion about that topic, but I haven’t found anything about this:

On the internet, Amazon, etc, I can see extender adapter for pedals. Are there US to FRENCH threaded pedal adapters? Not too long and weak.....

if not, It would be easy to do ( for someone who knows how!!!!!) It already exists for 1/2 to 9/16.

I love my “new” 1987 Px10 Peugeot, but it’s reAly awkward to pedal without SPD pedals....

thank you!
QcJohnyGo is offline  
Old 04-21-21, 03:41 PM
  #19  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 238 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by QcJohnyGo View Post
Hi! First post, and I saw a lot of discussion about that topic, but I haven’t found anything about this:

On the internet, Amazon, etc, I can see extender adapter for pedals. Are there US to FRENCH threaded pedal adapters? Not too long and weak.....

if not, It would be easy to do ( for someone who knows how!!!!!) It already exists for 1/2 to 9/16.

I love my “new” 1987 Px10 Peugeot, but it’s reAly awkward to pedal without SPD pedals....

thank you!
Worse comes to worse, you can get a Stronglight 106 or 107 crankset with BSC threading, then you will open up the option for all sorts of modern pedals for your bike. Stronglight did make those two cranksets with BSC pedal threading, but the problem is, everyone wants them, so they will be harder to find and more expensive to buy, if you do find them.....
__________________
72 Line Seeker
83 Davidson Signature
84 Peugeot PSV
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 04-21-21, 05:23 PM
  #20  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Point Reyes Station, California
Posts: 3,459

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 1,138 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by QcJohnyGo View Post
Hi! First post, and I saw a lot of discussion about that topic, but I haven’t found anything about this:

On the internet, Amazon, etc, I can see extender adapter for pedals. Are there US to FRENCH threaded pedal adapters? Not too long and weak.....

if not, It would be easy to do ( for someone who knows how!!!!!) It already exists for 1/2 to 9/16.

I love my “new” 1987 Px10 Peugeot, but it’s reAly awkward to pedal without SPD pedals....

thank you!
1. Are you sure the cranks on your Peugeot are French threaded?
As a check you could try threading your SPDs into the cranks. If the cranks are French thread you won't get very far.

2. As mentioned above, you can tap out French threaded cranks to 9/16". To find someone who can do this for you look for the oldest bike shop in your area, or let us know your location and one of us might be able to help out.
Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Old 04-22-21, 08:17 AM
  #21  
Sluggo
Senior Member
 
Sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Left bank, Knoxville TN
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself View Post
Definitely nothing against it! I just don't know how to do it, or quickly I could find a shop to do it. I'm very pressed for time on finishing this. and basically need to figure out the pedal solution by today or have some on the way to me that will arrive before end of week. Will any good shop be able to do this?
Yes, any good shop will be able to do this. Pedal taps are something every shop should have.
Sluggo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.