Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Geared Down

Old 03-20-21, 10:05 PM
  #1  
T Pascal Parham
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Encinitas, CA, USA
Posts: 10

Bikes: 1990 Concorde Gavina, 1970s Gitane Professional Tour de France, 1970s Peugeot Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Geared Down

I always rode a corncob, nearly straight cog - you know, each gear 1 tooth from the last, the largest two maybe an extra tooth apartb. They were a joy to ride, looked right on my racing bikes, and never kept me from ascending the steepest climbs. However, lately, I found I was really dragging behind on hills, behind cycle mates pushing much lower gears. Well, as the old saying goes, I ain't proud! Mind you, I was proud, but at this point, I'm proud to still ride, still hauling Columbus steel and Campy alloy, and if I want the numerical advantage of lower gears, well, I can't hide it, so go ahead and smirk at my new 11-28 cluster. See you at the top!
T Pascal Parham is offline  
Likes For T Pascal Parham:
Old 03-20-21, 10:19 PM
  #2  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,308

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,628 Posts
Yup, since 2015 my steel road bike has gone from the original 7-speed 13-24 freewheel to 13-25 and now 13-28. And the chainrings have gone from 52/42 to 52/39 and now 50/38.

One of my carbon fiber bikes still has the 52/39 and 11-25 setup, but it's much lighter and tolerable on climbs. Otherwise there's little difference. The Centurion Ironman is still generally more comfy.
canklecat is offline  
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-21-21, 06:56 AM
  #3  
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 21,198

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 572 Posts
Understood. I rode the 1972 Los Angeles Wheelmen Double Century on 54-44/14-24 1.5-step gearing, then used a 50-47/14-16-18-20-23 half-step for flats and swapped in a 42 for 1.5-step gearing for hills.

For a long time I have used 42/26 low gears on my road bikes, but the Capo Modell Campagnolo just got 46-38/13-15-17-19-22-25.

As I have been putting more miles on my mountain bike, I am enjoying having the lower gears (down to 28/28 on 26" tires) available and contemplating going down another 10% on the road bikes, equipment permitting.
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Likes For John E:
Old 03-21-21, 08:17 AM
  #4  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,876

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,Klein Quantum II

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yup, since 2015 my steel road bike has gone from the original 7-speed 13-24 freewheel to 13-25 and now 13-28. And the chainrings have gone from 52/42 to 52/39 and now 50/38.

One of my carbon fiber bikes still has the 52/39 and 11-25 setup, but it's much lighter and tolerable on climbs. Otherwise there's little difference. The Centurion Ironman is still generally more comfy.
Finishing up the Ochsner and want to put a new 7 speed cassette on it. It's sitting at 13-26 right now but I'm thinking a 13-28 might make it more appealing to others. Pretty sure as I focus on downsizing this bike will be moved on too. Now to just find one in stock somewhere.

Not to mention my old man legs and knees need all the help they can get these days too. Add me to the gearing down crowd!
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 03-21-21, 09:14 AM
  #5  
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab
 
cocoabeachcrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newport RI
Posts: 608

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Finishing up the Ochsner and want to put a new 7 speed cassette on it. It's sitting at 13-26 right now but I'm thinking a 13-28 might make it more appealing to others. Pretty sure as I focus on downsizing this bike will be moved on too. Now to just find one in stock somewhere.

Not to mention my old man legs and knees need all the help they can get these days too. Add me to the gearing down crowd!
My AD Superleight project coming together... 11-48t microshift cassette with advent x RD with a 46t chainring. no idea how this is going to ride, but beer and covid season can produce some weird things!




cocoabeachcrab is offline  
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 03-21-21, 09:20 AM
  #6  
Fahrenheit531 
my bikes have chrome
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,963

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by T Pascal Parham View Post
I always rode a corncob, nearly straight cog - you know, each gear 1 tooth from the last, the largest two maybe an extra tooth apartb. They were a joy to ride, looked right on my racing bikes, and never kept me from ascending the steepest climbs. However, lately, I found I was really dragging behind on hills, behind cycle mates pushing much lower gears. Well, as the old saying goes, I ain't proud! Mind you, I was proud, but at this point, I'm proud to still ride, still hauling Columbus steel and Campy alloy, and if I want the numerical advantage of lower gears, well, I can't hide it, so go ahead and smirk at my new 11-28 cluster. See you at the top!
You'll find a lot of that around here.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Likes For Fahrenheit531:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.