Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is this C.Itoh?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is this C.Itoh?

Old 04-08-21, 01:49 PM
  #1  
okoweq
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
What is this C.Itoh?

Could you help me pinpoint the model/year of this C Itoh that was discarded in my friend's garage? As far as I can tell it's early 70s but I can't tell where it falls in the lineup. It's very rusty, spent a couple winters outside, but looks salvageable and I'm going to give it a good scrub to be a beater commuter.






okoweq is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 02:43 PM
  #2  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 10,920

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 969 Times in 587 Posts
Several have come my way, over the years. None were particularly impressive, as far as I was concerned. The one shown by the OP is, probably, the nicest one that I have seen. None of the ones I acquired sported any chrome on the frame and/or fork.
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 02:49 PM
  #3  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 9,716

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 846 Posts
It certainly looks salvageable, and with the "Italian ends" one could definitely make it into a good-looking commuter.
__________________
The Upsetter is gone ... too late to check him out








non-fixie is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 03:21 PM
  #4  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,646
Mentioned: 569 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,600 Times in 1,148 Posts
That looks like a boom era C. Itoh Tripping (yes, that's the actual model name). It was 2nd in the line-up. Typically, these were manufactured by Bridgestone, in which case the serial number should reveal the year.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 06:48 PM
  #5  
uncle uncle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,747

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
I'm going to guess a 1973 model, based on styling cues and parts... when the original poster comes back with a year verification from the frame serial number, we'll see how close I am.
uncle uncle is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 07:11 PM
  #6  
okoweq
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Found it below the gunk: 8253. Where do you look up serial numbers?

Originally Posted by uncle uncle View Post
I'm going to guess a 1973 model, based on styling cues and parts... when the original poster comes back with a year verification from the frame serial number, we'll see how close I am.
okoweq is offline  
Old 04-08-21, 07:18 PM
  #7  
uncle uncle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,747

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by okoweq View Post
Found it below the gunk: 8253. Where do you look up serial numbers?
Here...
Asian Serial Number Guide
uncle uncle is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 05:07 AM
  #8  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,646
Mentioned: 569 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,600 Times in 1,148 Posts
C. Itoh of this era were typically manufactured Bridgestone, whose serial number format starts with an alpha character and has more than four characters. 8235 sounds more like a JIS Standard than a serial number.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 10:02 AM
  #9  
okoweq
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This was below the BB, I can't find any other serial on the frame. Any particular area I should be looking at?

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
C. Itoh of this era were typically manufactured Bridgestone, whose serial number format starts with an alpha character and has more than four characters. 8235 sounds more like a JIS Standard than a serial number.
okoweq is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 10:50 AM
  #10  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,646
Mentioned: 569 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,600 Times in 1,148 Posts
I guess that could be the S/N or at least part of it. It sounds incomplete. My next dating tool would be component codes. The Sugino Maxy crankset is era correct and is likely OEM. It should be old enough to be using the Japanese Imperial Calendar, so the codes should look like 4x-(x)x, where x is a number. There should be a date code on the back of each crankarm.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 11:03 AM
  #11  
degan 
Mote of Dust
 
degan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I'd say putting as little work into it to get it serving your purposes is about the best that this bike can ask for at this point.
__________________
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift.
degan is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 11:04 AM
  #12  
okoweq
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
47-11 and 47-9 on the back of the crank arms. I haven't been able to find much on the C Itoh Tripping online (I'm impressed by your knowledge!), do you know if it has any specs of interest?

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
I guess that could be the S/N or at least part of it. It sounds incomplete. My next dating tool would be component codes. The Sugino Maxy crankset is era correct and is likely OEM. It should be old enough to be using the Japanese Imperial Calendar, so the codes should look like 4x-(x)x, where x is a number. There should be a date code on the back of each crankarm.
okoweq is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 11:46 AM
  #13  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,646
Mentioned: 569 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,600 Times in 1,148 Posts
Originally Posted by okoweq View Post
47-11 and 47-9 on the back of the crank arms. I haven't been able to find much on the C Itoh Tripping online (I'm impressed by your knowledge!), do you know if it has any specs of interest?
OK, the crankarms are dated September and October of Showa year 47, which was 1972. That's late enough in the calendar year that it's almost certainly a 1973 model.

I'm not sure what you by "specs of interest". The Tripping was a mid-range recreational touring model. There's not too much interest in C Itoh, even the top models.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 03:52 PM
  #14  
uncle uncle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,747

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
OK, the crankarms are dated September and October of Showa year 47, which was 1972. That's late enough in the calendar year that it's almost certainly a 1973 model.

I'm not sure what you by "specs of interest". The Tripping was a mid-range recreational touring model. There's not too much interest in C Itoh, even the top models.
I'M THE WINNER!!!!!! No need to send a prize, I'll grab my prize outa my own fridge, pop the top of a brewsky, and cheer myself and my obscure (some say nearly worthless) bicycle dating skills.

To the Okoweq... it's an early 70's, Japan built, probably high tensile steel, bicycle. It's a serviceable ride, with neutral steering, middle-of-entry-pack ride characteristics. There are still many parts out there, if you need them, to get it up and going, and keep it running. It's value lies in 1) getting you from here to there, and back, 2) it's easy to work on and understand, if you want to wrench on a bicycle, 3) it's not rare, or particularly special in any way, so you can do whatever to it you want, and lastly 4) it's yours. All four of those values makes it a greater commuter contender, in at least my eyes.
uncle uncle is offline  
Old 04-09-21, 03:58 PM
  #15  
okoweq
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nicely done! Thank you for your educated guess and for your comment, 1/2/3/4 is exactly what I'm looking for, especially 2 - already having some fun on the bike. Bonus: if it's not attractive, it might not get stolen during the errands. And if it does, I'll pick up another old bike to work on.

Originally Posted by uncle uncle View Post
I'M THE WINNER!!!!!! No need to send a prize, I'll grab my prize outa my own fridge, pop the top of a brewsky, and cheer myself and my obscure (some say nearly worthless) bicycle dating skills.

To the Okoweq... it's an early 70's, Japan built, probably high tensile steel, bicycle. It's a serviceable ride, with neutral steering, middle-of-entry-pack ride characteristics. There are still many parts out there, if you need them, to get it up and going, and keep it running. It's value lies in 1) getting you from here to there, and back, 2) it's easy to work on and understand, if you want to wrench on a bicycle, 3) it's not rare, or particularly special in any way, so you can do whatever to it you want, and lastly 4) it's yours. All four of those values makes it a greater commuter contender, in at least my eyes.
okoweq is offline  
Likes For okoweq:
Old 04-09-21, 04:00 PM
  #16  
okoweq
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you T-Mar! Appreciate your insights

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
OK, the crankarms are dated September and October of Showa year 47, which was 1972. That's late enough in the calendar year that it's almost certainly a 1973 model.

I'm not sure what you by "specs of interest". The Tripping was a mid-range recreational touring model. There's not too much interest in C Itoh, even the top models.
okoweq is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.