Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First time going vintage - should I buy this?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

First time going vintage - should I buy this?

Old 01-23-23, 10:12 PM
  #26  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 9,646

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked 2,663 Times in 1,625 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetUser23 View Post
Great, thanks for the info. I can't say I have definitive plans - other than a wheel change to 700c since the owner says it likely needs new wheels. For all I know, I will love the friction shifters on the frame. I'm not looking to replicate a bike I already own, just looking to learn more about bikes and have one that I have put some love and time into.
Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-24-23, 02:47 AM
  #27  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 5,279

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex View Post
Heck, if you're gonna change the wheels out to fit fatter tires, why not go all the way and get a 650b wheelset!*

*but of course, take all the necessary measurements to figure out what you'll need as far as brake reach, etc, etc.
Treks with 27s are usually very easy to put 700cs on. 650b not so much. Now if it came with 700c, 650b is usually pretty straightforward. I only know this because I enjoy banging my head against a wall.
52telecaster is offline  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 01-24-23, 03:13 AM
  #28  
icemilkcoffee 
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 536 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr View Post
Updating to brake lever shifters causes a big domino effect.
Going from stock to anywhere like 8sp thru11sp means several other upgrades/changes:
* cassette/freewheel
* derailleurs front & rear
* chainrings
* chain
* spread rear dropouts from 126 to 130
* possibly replacing brakes
People always forget that there are 7 speed brifters. All you need to do is change the freewheel from 6 speed to 7 speed. No need to change wheels. No need to spread frame.
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-24-23, 07:11 AM
  #29  
ehcoplex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,166

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ’97 Cannondale T900, '98 Peugeot Appalaches, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Herc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 440 Posts
Just as an additional 'data point'- I picked up an '87 Trek 400T (main tubes Reynolds 531) for $60 last summer, and since then have seen several pop up with asking prices usually between $100-$200. $250 seems a tad high to me, particularly if the intent is to 'upgrade', but proximity and convenience can be worth a lot, so YMMV...
ehcoplex is offline  
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 01-24-23, 08:13 AM
  #30  
daverup 
Senior Member
 
daverup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 673

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 264 Posts
I will agree with squirtdad , just ride it.
There will be plenty of little things to do, and you can take your time deciding on mods.
For recreational riding, there is nothing wrong with 27" wheels. No rush to 700c.
daverup is offline  
Likes For daverup:
Old 01-24-23, 08:50 AM
  #31  
AdventureManCO 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Front Range CO
Posts: 624

Bikes: '88 Novara Randonee, 1981 Trek 957, 1968 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raliegh Super Course, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, 1987 Trek 560 Pro Series, 1972 Dawes Galaxy, 1996 Schwinn Homegrown, 1996 Trek 990

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 169 Posts
@nlerner wow thanks for that fascinating bit of history with your sales receipt. That would have been $1000 in ‘todays’ money.

OP, for what it is worth, the Trek 400 series came up several times in the ‘best bike you’ve ever had’ research project. It is obvious that some people adore them.

I haven’t seen the link yet, but $250 for that bike when the owner says it needs new wheels, sounds on the higher end. However, it could be your ‘gateway’ bike and therefore worth the price of entry. And whom among us hasn’t overpaid for a bike we really want and love? So I’m going to say that if you are comfortable with the price, go for it! I do think similar options will come along that are cheaper if you are patient, but if you’ve fallen for that one I won’t try to talk you out of it. I have a Trek 560, 600, and 957. Treks budget offerings were everyone else’s mid-tier offerings. I also like the suggestion of picking up an Ironman as well, as those are sleepers (price wise) in the bike world for what you get.

Make sure any bike you get will fit you well, good luck, and do please share pictures when you get it home
AdventureManCO is offline  
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-24-23, 08:52 AM
  #32  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 800

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
People always forget that there are 7 speed brifters. All you need to do is change the freewheel from 6 speed to 7 speed. No need to change wheels. No need to spread frame.
Minor quibble: if it's from prior to about 1986 and has the original RD, it might also need a new RD as well as possibly new shift cable housing (new shift cables should come with the brifters, but new housing might not). If I recall correctly, STI didn't show up until the 1985 model year with DA7400. Earlier RDs and cable housing - even from Shimano - may or may not "play nice" with indexed shifting.
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 01-24-23, 09:19 AM
  #33  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 5,472

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,843 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetUser23 View Post
Hey, that's it! Yep, I've considered the frame set option, which is actually what led me here. I don't need/want to immediately radically alter everything, but the owner did mention that it will need new wheels. It seems like 700c is a great way to go since there are lots of tire options, so that would be the only immediate change I'd plan. Other than that, I can't say I have terribly firm plans since this will be my first vintage purchase. I'm open to all suggestions and input, thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-35435b93fa95
​​​​​​


https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-35435b93fa95

​​​​​​

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3-afa0f9177e15
​​​​​​


https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-e6311ba09dc8

​​​​​​
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, 1996ish Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe (most not finished of course), 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba...I...am...done....






jdawginsc is offline  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-24-23, 09:48 AM
  #34  
sfazio 
Junior Member
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
If the seller thinks it needs new wheels he should be charging you much less than $250 for that bike. That's about what it cost new. Talk him down.
If the bike speaks to you don't get too hung up on what others think it might be worth, where it is in the line, etc. In reality the time, effort and money we all spend on these vintage bikes isn't a great business model , we do it because we love it. My two cents is that's a great looking bike, cool color with good looking paint. If it really needs new wheels I agree that $250 might be a little steep, I would probably mention that it's going to cost you at least $100 to put new wheels on the bike and see if he will come down a bit.
sfazio is offline  
Likes For sfazio:
Old 01-24-23, 02:25 PM
  #35  
machinist42
mycocyclist
 
machinist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Monkey Junction, Wilmington, NC
Posts: 2,062

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 349 Posts
Raleigh in Raleigh, Really.

Raleigh competition - $250 (Downtown)

Posted 2023-01-24 13:10







https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...582056265.html
machinist42 is offline  
Likes For machinist42:
Old 01-24-23, 02:40 PM
  #36  
sfazio 
Junior Member
 
sfazio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5, 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 1970 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42 View Post

Raleigh competition - $250 (Downtown)

Posted 2023-01-24 13:10







https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...582056265.html
Wow, do you think it's possible that frame is a little small for its current rider??
sfazio is offline  
Likes For sfazio:
Old 01-24-23, 03:33 PM
  #37  
Jeff Neese
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 210 Posts
That's a decent bike, but the frame is NOT full chromoly and it's got lower-end components. If you have $250 to spend on a vintage bike, you can do much better as a starting point for upgrades. No matter what kind of upgrades you do, it will always be a lower-end frameset. Since you're just getting started with vintage, start with something worthwhile. Be patient.
Jeff Neese is offline  
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 01-24-23, 03:57 PM
  #38  
machinist42
mycocyclist
 
machinist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Monkey Junction, Wilmington, NC
Posts: 2,062

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 349 Posts
Really?

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese View Post
That's a decent bike, but the frame is NOT full chromoly and it's got lower-end components. If you have $250 to spend on a vintage bike, you can do much better as a starting point for upgrades. No matter what kind of upgrades you do, it will always be a lower-end frameset. Since you're just getting started with vintage, start with something worthwhile. Be patient.
Yes, it is "full 531." (Technically not "chromoly" but rather Manganese-Moly,)



"Lower-end component."
<sarcasm glyph>


Last edited by machinist42; 01-24-23 at 08:28 PM.
machinist42 is offline  
Likes For machinist42:
Old 01-24-23, 04:18 PM
  #39  
retroshifter
too many bikes
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I love vintage Treks and while $250 is not an unreasonable price for a nice 412, I agree with others that suggest that you pass on this one. Trek sold a lot of bikes in the 1980s, so they come up for sale pretty often if you are patient (if you are lucky you can get a deal) The 500 and 600 series are full cromoly, and I would look for one of those for your first vintage trek. That said I have a 412 frame that I bought for $50 that I built into sort of a version of a Raleigh Sports for commuting. Good luck

Last edited by retroshifter; 01-24-23 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo
retroshifter is offline  
Likes For retroshifter:
Old 01-24-23, 05:22 PM
  #40  
brewerkz 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mason Ohio
Posts: 135

Bikes: 1985 Schwinn Madison, 1946 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1985 Trek 660, 1983 3Rensho Export

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 37 Posts
You can pick up clean treks well below $250, if your patient, at least in my market a 412 wouldnt sell at $250.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-ef823ea8bc94
brewerkz is offline  
Likes For brewerkz:
Old 01-24-23, 07:53 PM
  #41  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,017

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6 View Post
Minor quibble: if it's from prior to about 1986 and has the original RD, it might also need a new RD as well as possibly new shift cable housing (new shift cables should come with the brifters, but new housing might not). If I recall correctly, STI didn't show up until the 1985 model year with DA7400. Earlier RDs and cable housing - even from Shimano - may or may not "play nice" with indexed shifting.
Nice thing about Shimano SIS is that decent RD's both new and used are cheap and plentiful. He's also not limited to road derailleurs on the rear, lots of decent used Deore LX RD's around at very reasonable prices. NOS Shimano brifters can be quite pricey but I have a couple bikes with MicroSHIFT brifters and I'm quite happy with them. One is a 3 X 8 drop bar MTB running Shimano 105 derailleurs and the other is a 3 X 9 road bike running full MicroSHIFT. The brifters are a little "klunky" at first but quickly smooth out. I think the brifters are only available in all black now, they did have 2/3 X 7 sets at one time.




__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."

Last edited by Murray Missile; 01-25-23 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
Murray Missile is offline  
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 01-24-23, 09:54 PM
  #42  
Jeff Neese
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42 View Post
Yes, it is "full 531." (Technically not "chromoly" but rather Manganese-Moly,)



"Lower-end component."
<sarcasm glyph>
We are apparently talking about two different bicycles. The references I see for the 412 show Ishiwata 022 main tubes, and hi-ten rear triangle and fork. If it's a full 531 frame, that changes things but I don't think it's a 412.
Jeff Neese is offline  
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 01-25-23, 04:58 AM
  #43  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 800

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile View Post
Nice thing about Shimano SIS is that decent RD's both new and used are cheap and plentiful. He's also not limited to road derailleurs on the rear, lots of decent used Deore LX RD's around at very reasonable prices. NOS Shimano brifters can be quite pricey but I have a coupe bikes with MicroSHIFT brifters and I'm quite happy with them. One is a 3 X 8 drop bar MTB running Shimano 105 derailleurs and the other is a 3 X 9 road bike running full MicroSHIFT. The brifters are a little "klunky" at first but quickly smooth out. I think the brifters are only available in all black now, they did have 2/3 X 7 sets at one time.




Nice bikes.

Just pointed out the possible RD replacement requirement so the OP would know it might be required.

No argument re: Shimano RDs. Shimano 6-9 speed indexed RDs - and road 10-speed - all share the same actuation ratio (Dura Ace 6-8 speed excepted), so they should generally be interchangeable. (Dura Ace 6-8 speed will also reportedly work with non-Dura Ace shifters using alternate cable routing.) And as you note, they're readily available and anywhere from inexpensive to whoo boy! expensive.

Only possible issue I can see would be trying to use a very early SIS RD to shift 8-10 speed. Some of the earliest Shimano indexed RDs might not have enough lateral travel capability to shift the wider 8-10 speed cassettes. If I recall correctly, I've read accounts indicating that some do and some don't.

Existing FD might be a bit touchy as well. Brifters are indexed for front shifting also. I've read accounts of people making them work with older FDs. Haven't tried that yet personally, so I can't say how difficult that might be.

FWIW: new MicroShift 2x7 and 3x7 brifter sets are apparently still available. Unfortunately, they're also now about the same price as Shimano's Tourney brifters (between about $80 and $97 per set, plus tax and possibly shipping, Amazon or eBay).

There are also a similar line of brifters sold under the "MicroNew" brand that are generally significantly cheaper. However, with these caveat emptor may well be in order.

Elsewhere on Bike Forums, it's been posted that MicroShift says the MicroNew versions are unauthorized counterfeits of theirs. (Comparing the products' physical appearance and markings lend credence to this claim IMO.) The quality control also may not be as good. I personally would be hesitant to buy MicroNew for those reasons.

Last edited by Hondo6; 01-25-23 at 05:01 AM.
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 01-25-23, 05:32 AM
  #44  
Murray Missile 
Senior Member
 
Murray Missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 700 Ft. above sea level.
Posts: 3,017

Bikes: Not as many as there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6 View Post
Nice bikes.

Just pointed out the possible RD replacement requirement so the OP would know it might be required.

No argument re: Shimano RDs. Shimano 6-9 speed indexed RDs - and road 10-speed - all share the same actuation ratio (Dura Ace 6-8 speed excepted), so they should generally be interchangeable. (Dura Ace 6-8 speed will also reportedly work with non-Dura Ace shifters using alternate cable routing.) And as you note, they're readily available and anywhere from inexpensive to whoo boy! expensive.

Only possible issue I can see would be trying to use a very early SIS RD to shift 8-10 speed. Some of the earliest Shimano indexed RDs might not have enough lateral travel capability to shift the wider 8-10 speed cassettes. If I recall correctly, I've read accounts indicating that some do and some don't.

Existing FD might be a bit touchy as well. Brifters are indexed for front shifting also. I've read accounts of people making them work with older FDs. Haven't tried that yet personally, so I can't say how difficult that might be.

FWIW: new MicroShift 2x7 and 3x7 brifter sets are apparently still available. Unfortunately, they're also now about the same price as Shimano's Tourney brifters (between about $80 and $97 per set, plus tax and possibly shipping, Amazon or eBay).

There are also a similar line of brifters sold under the "MicroNew" brand that are generally significantly cheaper. However, with these caveat emptor may well be in order.

Elsewhere on Bike Forums, it's been posted that MicroShift says the MicroNew versions are unauthorized counterfeits of theirs. (Comparing the products' physical appearance and markings lend credence to this claim IMO.) The quality control also may not be as good. I personally would be hesitant to buy MicroNew for those reasons.
All valid points,, no arguments here. I installed a set of MicroNew 3 X 7's for someone else. Felt and looked a bit rougher than microSHIFT. Skeptical of their longevity, may try a set for myself just to see but I have a good set of RSX 3 X 7 AND 105 3 X 8 so may mot have an opportunity anytime soon.
__________________
".....distasteful and easily triggered."
Murray Missile is offline  
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 01-25-23, 07:48 AM
  #45  
ehcoplex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,166

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ’97 Cannondale T900, '98 Peugeot Appalaches, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Herc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 440 Posts
If you haven't ridden with DT friction shifters in a long time (if ever), I'd council giving them a try. My 'serious cycling 1.0' era ended just as brifters were coming on the scene, and I never rode a bike with them back then. When I got back into cycling a couple years ago the first bike I got had Shimano 7-speed STIs. I was skeptical, not least out of retro-grouchie aesthetic bias, but I quickly got used to them and thought, 'sure, they're fine..' Then I restored an old PX-10 and wondered if I'd find DT friction shifting a PITA after using a brifter bike- but I have to say, I find friction shifting more fun and satisfying in a tactile way. I don't know exactly what it is, but now I have little interest in STI/indexing now. Got bar-ends on 2 bikes, DT shifters on 2, and the STI-equipped bike gets almost no use at all. Anyway, point is, give the DT friction shifters a try before you ditch 'em- you may actually like them!
ehcoplex is offline  
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 01-25-23, 11:56 AM
  #46  
InternetUser23
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 14

Bikes: Canyon Grail, Surly Midnight Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input! Unfortunately, I couldn't respond for 24 hours. I actually didn't end up going with the Trek, but I might still do so in the near future. I did go with a locally listed '87 Bianchi Sport SX that is in good riding shape and I'll be using it as a project bike.
That being said, I've kept in touch with the seller of the Trek and am keeping my eye on it! I've definitely got the itch to work on a bike; I ride plenty, but feel like I could know a lot more than I do! I'll be on here quite a bit, I think
InternetUser23 is offline  
Likes For InternetUser23:
Old 01-25-23, 12:51 PM
  #47  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 8,939

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetUser23 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input! Unfortunately, I couldn't respond for 24 hours. I actually didn't end up going with the Trek, but I might still do so in the near future. I did go with a locally listed '87 Bianchi Sport SX that is in good riding shape and I'll be using it as a project bike.
That being said, I've kept in touch with the seller of the Trek and am keeping my eye on it! I've definitely got the itch to work on a bike; I ride plenty, but feel like I could know a lot more than I do! I'll be on here quite a bit, I think
congrats.

Pic required, asap
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
(looking for Torpado Super light frame/fork or whole biked 57,58)


squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-25-23, 12:54 PM
  #48  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 5,472

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,843 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetUser23 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input! Unfortunately, I couldn't respond for 24 hours. I actually didn't end up going with the Trek, but I might still do so in the near future. I did go with a locally listed '87 Bianchi Sport SX that is in good riding shape and I'll be using it as a project bike.
That being said, I've kept in touch with the seller of the Trek and am keeping my eye on it! I've definitely got the itch to work on a bike; I ride plenty, but feel like I could know a lot more than I do! I'll be on here quite a bit, I think
Is it the blue one I listed above?
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, 1996ish Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe (most not finished of course), 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba...I...am...done....






jdawginsc is offline  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 01-25-23, 02:29 PM
  #49  
InternetUser23
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 14

Bikes: Canyon Grail, Surly Midnight Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
Is it the blue one I listed above?
It sure is, thanks for the link!

I ended up purchasing for $200, which I was happy with, considering it was in good shape and I was able to ride it.

I took it by my favorite local bike shop today and we put the project together. Very little of the bike is original, so we're going to modify it with a longer stem, a flat bar, and some friction micro shifters on the bars. It should make for a fun bike to ride around. I'll update once those parts come in and I'm able to get them on the bike.
InternetUser23 is offline  
Old 01-25-23, 03:18 PM
  #50  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 5,472

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,843 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetUser23 View Post
It sure is, thanks for the link!

I ended up purchasing for $200, which I was happy with, considering it was in good shape and I was able to ride it.

I took it by my favorite local bike shop today and we put the project together. Very little of the bike is original, so we're going to modify it with a longer stem, a flat bar, and some friction micro shifters on the bars. It should make for a fun bike to ride around. I'll update once those parts come in and I'm able to get them on the bike.
Sounds like a fine plan. Not sure what brakes were on there, but some dual pivots will give you some strong all weather confidence.
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, 1996ish Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe (most not finished of course), 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba...I...am...done....






jdawginsc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.