Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Old 03-07-19, 03:56 PM
  #2051  
MRiedel86
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Welcome to the forums. It appears to be a 1981 model but based on the colour I think it may be a Royale, which was a couple of models above the Custom Sport. What size (diameter) is the seat post?
I havenít any idea what the size is. Iím relatively new to cycling and this bike is now my rainy day commuter. The color is a dark sea foam green Iíd describe it. Canít post pictures yet since I donít have enough posts on here.
MRiedel86 is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 04:14 PM
  #2052  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MRiedel86 View Post


I havenít any idea what the size is. Iím relatively new to cycling and this bike is now my rainy day commuter. The color is a dark sea foam green Iíd describe it. Canít post pictures yet since I donít have enough posts on here.
If you remove the size post and clean it off, you may find the size stamped on it. It could be anything between 25.4 to 27.2. This is the diameter in millimetres. I was able to see your pictures in your album. I thought it looked grey, which was used on the 1981 Royale.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-07-19, 07:08 PM
  #2053  
MRiedel86
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
If you remove the size post and clean it off, you may find the size stamped on it. It could be anything between 25.4 to 27.2. This is the diameter in millimetres. I was able to see your pictures in your album. I thought it looked grey, which was used on the 1981 Royale.
No such luck finding the stamped size. It does measure exactly one inch on the outside edge of tube.
MRiedel86 is offline  
Old 03-08-19, 05:50 AM
  #2054  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MRiedel86 View Post
No such luck finding the stamped size. It does measure exactly one inch on the outside edge of tube.
A 1" post is indicative of a hi-tensile steel. As such it should be a Custom Sport, as you originally suggested. Circa 1981, the Custom Sport was the only hi-tensile model with chrome on the lower fork blades.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-08-19, 06:06 AM
  #2055  
MRiedel86
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
A 1" post is indicative of a hi-tensile steel. As such it should be a Custom Sport, as you originally suggested. Circa 1981, the Custom Sport was the only hi-tensile model with chrome on the lower fork blades.
Thanks for the help! Iíve found the 1981 Nishiki Catalog online and donít see this color as an option for the Custom Sport. Though it does look similar to the second color option for the Royale (bike not pictured, just a little swath) so itís hard to say. I do see a sticker under the seat post that says high tensile tubing.
MRiedel86 is offline  
Old 03-08-19, 07:34 AM
  #2056  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MRiedel86 View Post


Thanks for the help! Iíve found the 1981 Nishiki Catalog online and donít see this color as an option for the Custom Sport. Though it does look similar to the second color option for the Royale (bike not pictured, just a little swath) so itís hard to say. I do see a sticker under the seat post that says high tensile tubing.
That sticker confirms it is not a Royale., which used a CrMo tubing. Of the hi-tensile models only the Custom Sport depicts chrome on the lower fork blades like yours. So, a Custom Sport is definitely the best candidate.

Regarding the colour, specifications sometimes change after the catalogue is issued. Or it could be a non-USA model, as foreign models often exhibit variation from their USA counterparts. It could even be a simple painting error. Initially, I had thought the catalogue might be for the 1982 model year, as it indcates a 1981 copyright date and the new model year catalogues are typically issued late in the preceding calendar year. However, it doesn't mention any of the SunTour derailleurs that were new for the 1982 model year, so it does appear to be a 1981 catalog.

Regardless, it a circa 1981, entry level model and almost certainly a Custom Sport. Enjoy your new acquisition.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-08-19, 08:49 AM
  #2057  
dfrench52 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Too far from the beach in Wake County, NC
Posts: 15

Bikes: Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Medalist

Medalist, serial number KC36581.
Frame: Champion #1 , Range Industries, Kawamura decal.
61cm, C-C, top tube 57cm C-C (my measurements)

dfrench52 is offline  
Old 03-08-19, 09:02 AM
  #2058  
dfrench52 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Too far from the beach in Wake County, NC
Posts: 15

Bikes: Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Medalist

Oops. That should be " Tange" frame material. (That, and remember to correct the autocorrect.&#128545
dfrench52 is offline  
Old 03-19-19, 02:21 PM
  #2059  
Gavin1010
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I purchased this new in 1978,. Been in storage for years. Had my local shop in Phoenix (Landis) do a major tuneup. Rides like a dream!









Gavin1010 is offline  
Old 03-25-19, 08:10 PM
  #2060  
Hummer
Senior Member
 
Hummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rupert's Land
Posts: 805

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MRiedel86 View Post
Hello,

I’ve browsed this forum a few times but haven’t seen any serial numbers that fit the format of mine.

S1 1A133

Picked it up a few weeks ago from a bike store in Nashville. It’s been converted to single speed and has some other aftermarket parts. The model decal has been rubbed off but after some research my guess is that it’s a Custom Sport. It has the older eagle emblem on front tube. Trying to figure out how old this thing is. Any help is appreciated!

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Welcome to the forums. It appears to be a 1981 model but based on the colour I think it may be a Royale, which was a couple of models above the Custom Sport. What size (diameter) is the seat post?
This serial number format is consistent with the Custom Sport or Olympic 12 models only. The Custom Sport was Toshiba High Tensile tubing. The Olympic 12 was Chrome molybdenum tubing. The Royale model had a different frame manufacturers serial number.

Last edited by Hummer; 03-26-19 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fix quote
Hummer is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 04:24 AM
  #2061  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice bike!
bopone is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 04:25 AM
  #2062  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fresh and clean, very cool!
bopone is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 04:26 AM
  #2063  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
very cool!
bopone is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 04:28 AM
  #2064  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice!
bopone is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 04:28 AM
  #2065  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
bopone is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 06:46 AM
  #2066  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)






KG57668
Nishiki Competition reporting for duty.
Mr. 66 is online now  
Old 03-27-19, 08:23 AM
  #2067  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bopone View Post
Nice bike!
Welcome to the forums. Your frameset is a 1984 Nishiki Master. The stamping on the bottom bracket is actually a Danish bicycle identification number indicating that the bicycle was manufactured for Taarnby a/s in 1984. The year is corroborated by the February 1984 manufacturing date code on the Tange steering column. I'm not sure if Taarnby's market was restricted to Denmark or included wider regions, such as Scandanavia or other European countries


The "10 speed" on the top tube indicates an entry level model, as mid-range and higher models would have been 12 speed by the mid-1980s. Entry level status is further substantiated by the Tange Hi-Tensile decal of the fork blades.There is a possibility that the main tubes may be a slightly higher grade. This is best established by determining what diameter of seat post properly fits the frame.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 08:52 AM
  #2068  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
KG57668

Nishiki Competition reporting for duty.
Based on the serial number, the frame was manufactured by Kawamura in 1977, for the USA market. While it could be a 1978 model manufactured in late 1977, I don't believe that to be the case. It is a good match for the 1978 model but for four exceptions. I'm assuming that two of those, the Avocet saddle and brake hoods, are aftermarket replacements. However, for 1978 the model name was abbreviated to "Comp". More importantly, the 1978 model was spec'd with a 700C wheelset, while the presence of Schraeder valves on the subject bicycle would seem to indicate 27" wheels and a 1977 model.

Passed inspection. Carry on, soldier!

Seriously, nice clean-up. There's only some minor chips and very light rust. Enjoy your new acquisition and thank-you for posting.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 09:49 AM
  #2069  
Mr. 66
Senior Member
 
Mr. 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Based on the serial number, the frame was manufactured by Kawamura in 1977, for the USA market. While it could be a 1978 model manufactured in late 1977, I don't believe that to be the case. It is a good match for the 1978 model but for four exceptions. I'm assuming that two of those, the Avocet saddle and brake hoods, are aftermarket replacements. However, for 1978 the model name was abbreviated to "Comp". More importantly, the 1978 model was spec'd with a 700C wheelset, while the presence of Schraeder valves on the subject bicycle would seem to indicate 27" wheels and a 1977 model.

Passed inspection. Carry on, soldier!

Seriously, nice clean-up. There's only some minor chips and very light rust. Enjoy your new acquisition and thank-you for posting.
I do think it is a '77 but the wheels, Araya on Shimano hubs 5 speed, are 700. The rear rim appears to drilled to Shrader, the front is Presta. I've looked at the Diacomp G brakes, they do not appear to ever been repositioned for different wheels. The brake hoods are supple the levers are Diacomp. The saddle made me think it was '80s is beat up, do you recall what saddle came with? With the rims being metric it makes me wonder if it is a '78, but I could not find a picture of a gold '78, the ones I found were black.

I did see a few gold lower level Nishiki pictures and found, what is advertised as a competition, a gold '77. That one had 27" Araya rims that the same style as my 700. That bike had centerpull brakes.

It rides great!

And by chance do you know what the msrp was?



Mr. 66 is online now  
Old 03-27-19, 10:45 AM
  #2070  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mr. 66 View Post
I do think it is a '77 but the wheels, Araya on Shimano hubs 5 speed, are 700. The rear rim appears to drilled to Shrader, the front is Presta. I've looked at the Diacomp G brakes, they do not appear to ever been repositioned for different wheels. The brake hoods are supple the levers are Diacomp. The saddle made me think it was '80s is beat up, do you recall what saddle came with? With the rims being metric it makes me wonder if it is a '78, but I could not find a picture of a gold '78, the ones I found were black.

I did see a few gold lower level Nishiki pictures and found, what is advertised as a competition, a gold '77. That one had 27" Araya rims that the same style as my 700. That bike had centerpull brakes.

It rides great!

And by chance do you know what the msrp was?

Champagne was a colour option in 1978, along with red and black.

Spec wheels in 1978 used Sanshin hubs laced to Araya 20A rims. I couldn't identify the hubs from your pictures but thought the transition to the sidewall looked too square to be a 20A. It reminded me more of a U-section, single wall, 16A.

Spec saddle in 1978 was Elina, padded suede.

Sorry, in this case I don't have the MSRP but my educated guess would be $300-$350 US, depending on the year. I can tell you that it was the 2nd from the top bicycle in 1978. I qualify that by saying bicycle, as there was also a higher grade frameset that was catalogued.

I'm still leaning towards a 1977 model based on the full "Competition" model name. The 1978 literature clearly used the abbreviated "Comp". I can't recall if I've seen an actual "Comp" but I know we've had a few of the slightly later "Comp II". If you want to increase your confidence one way or the other, you can always purse the component date code route. If you do, please post your findings. TIA.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-27-19 at 10:51 AM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-28-19, 05:03 AM
  #2071  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nishikimaster

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Welcome to the forums. Your frameset is a 1984 Nishiki Master. The stamping on the bottom bracket is actually a Danish bicycle identification number indicating that the bicycle was manufactured for Taarnby a/s in 1984. The year is corroborated by the February 1984 manufacturing date code on the Tange steering column. I'm not sure if Taarnby's market was restricted to Denmark or included wider regions, such as Scandanavia or other European countries


The "10 speed" on the top tube indicates an entry level model, as mid-range and higher models would have been 12 speed by the mid-1980s. Entry level status is further substantiated by the Tange Hi-Tensile decal of the fork blades.There is a possibility that the main tubes may be a slightly higher grade. This is best established by determining what diameter of seat post properly fits the frame.
Hello T-Mar, Iím littel confused it sounds like you answered my question but I wasn't able to upload it.
bopone is offline  
Old 03-28-19, 06:39 AM
  #2072  
T-Mar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,355
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bopone View Post
Hello T-Mar, Iím littel confused it sounds like you answered my question but I wasn't able to upload it.
Pictures do upload prior to 10 posts but they do not display with the text. Instead, they get routed to a separate repository where members can view them, if they're willing to take the time and do a bit of searching. For instance, here's one of your pictures. So, I don't have a crystal ball and wasn't making things up. I just knew where to look and was willing to invest a little more time to find them.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-28-19 at 06:43 AM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-28-19, 07:42 AM
  #2073  
bopone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Iam very convinced by the quick response and that you took the time to search. Your answer is perfect and answers exactly my question, thank you very much. The size of the seat post is 26.4 mm.
bopone is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.