Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 11-08-15, 08:26 PM
  #11276  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a "Trak" brand bike made in Belgium at an antique shop for $10 last week. I can't find much about the brand, but it looks like an old Peugeot. It has Simplex componenents and I think the brakes say "Aldenberger." The tubing sticker says "Bonderized R.C. tubing stays and forks." I'd love more info on this bike. I haven't been able to find much online. I can't find anything about that type of tubing. Heavier than ChroMo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (101.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (97.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (97.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (97.8 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by lancer3000; 11-09-15 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add photo
lancer3000 is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 04:11 PM
  #11277  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,788

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,764 Times in 1,283 Posts
Those are the early dual pivot Altenburger brakes.
curbtender is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 05:43 PM
  #11278  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,926

Bikes: too many

Liked 250 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer3000
The tubing sticker says "Bonderized R.C. tubing stays and forks."
Bonderized, James Bonderized. Love bikes like this... if it were mine, I would start a separate thread. In that way, in the future, bike forum C&V people in the know will search google using "Trak+Bike+Forums" and be able to find your post quickly, just in case they can ad something to it's history. I got nothing, by the way, other than a strange love for these brand orphans that seemed to be a product of the 60's-70's bike boom, when many businesses slapped on foils stickers to no name frames and propped them in a corner of the store to rake in their part of juggernaut of bike sales at the time.
uncle uncle is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 06:44 PM
  #11279  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,373

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,126 Times in 656 Posts
Your bike was most likely made by Superia and has lots of company with many companies selling them during the 70's.

Mine was called Rapidix and sold by Belgique. Nice riders and unique among the regulars.

What are your plans for it ? Welcome to the Forum !
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 06:51 PM
  #11280  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,373

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,126 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer3000
I found a "Trak" brand bike made in Belgium at an antique shop for $10 last week. I can't find much about the brand, but it looks like an old Peugeot. It has Simplex componenents and I think the brakes say "Aldenberger." The tubing sticker says "Bonderized R.C. tubing stays and forks." I'd love more info on this bike. I haven't been able to find much online. I can't find anything about that type of tubing. Heavier than ChroMo.
I would like more pictures of the whole bike please.
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 08:15 PM
  #11281  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
2 bikes- a 1979 Raleigh Record Ace and a 1986 Fuji Regis. Should be fun getting these fixed up. The Raleigh was hastily and poorly spray painted and I've already taken quite a bit of it off. The Fuji just needs to be cleaned and have the usual stuff replaced.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleigh.jpg (97.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg
fuji.jpg (96.1 KB, 180 views)
arcocelli is offline  
Old 11-09-15, 10:34 PM
  #11282  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on fixing it up as close to original as I can. Somebody put ugly mtb handlebars on it. I'll get rid of those and replace the saddle, tires and cables as well. Not sure if I will keep or sell. Not really sure what it is worth either. I added more pics of the whole bike to my original post.
lancer3000 is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 07:54 AM
  #11283  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,373

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,126 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer3000
I plan on fixing it up as close to original as I can. Somebody put ugly mtb handlebars on it. I'll get rid of those and replace the saddle, tires and cables as well. Not sure if I will keep or sell. Not really sure what it is worth either. I added more pics of the whole bike to my original post.
Sourcing original parts would put you into the negative coloum if you decide to sell. Better to look for period correct or "what looks like the original" parts for the rebuild.

You paid 10, another paid the same for his bike. I traded parts for my frame. Worth will be in fixing it up to be a good rider. If you are loaded with parts and time, good.

hey, it's from Belgium! How cool is that. Grease it, make the wheels better, nice saddle, worthy shifting DRs, drop bar cockpit and fenders you are ready for the road.

when you are finished post this in the Belgian bike thread.

Mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (93.4 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by 3speedslow; 11-10-15 at 07:56 AM. Reason: pic included
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 08:26 PM
  #11284  
Senior Member
 
Pgavindonnelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Paoli, PA
Posts: 54

Bikes: 1969 Motobecane Grand tour, 2006 Specialized Sequioa, Park Pre Hammer / Cycle morph tandem, 2003 Klein pulse comp Bianch project 3, Bianchi board walk 1993 celeste

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any pics of the bike cleaned up? I have a black project 3
Pgavindonnelly is offline  
Old 11-10-15, 08:53 PM
  #11285  
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 9,373

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,126 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgavindonnelly
Any pics of the bike cleaned up? I have a black project 3
To which bike are you referring.
3speedslow is offline  
Old 11-11-15, 11:17 AM
  #11286  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,753

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Picked this 1990 Trek 7000 last night.

All original, right down to the tires even.



Almost no wear on the rims, the pads are pretty hard. Tires are dry and need to be changed.

Completely original and everything works. Shifts well on the stand. Looking forward to riding it soon.

Last edited by zjrog; 11-12-15 at 02:37 PM.
zjrog is offline  
Old 11-11-15, 04:37 PM
  #11287  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Liked 180 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Picked this 1991 Trek 7000 last night.

All original, right down to the tires even.



Almost no wear on the rims, the pads are pretty hard. Tires are dry and need to be changed.

Completely original and everything works. Shifts well on the stand. Looking forward to riding it soon.
If mine wasnt in my Garage i would swear its mine, But its not ive replaced the tires ..a couple times. I have the same bike even with the same waterbottle cage on it. and FWIW its a 1990 model, the 1991 had a green splatter paint instead of white as it appears yours has. I have owned mine since new in 1990.

Heres mine a couple years ago with my daughter in tow. Its been a great bike and do not plan on selling it ever

fleslider is offline  
Old 11-11-15, 04:48 PM
  #11288  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,753

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
If mine wasnt in my Garage i would swear its mine, But its not ive replaced the tires ..a couple times. I have the same bike even with the same waterbottle cage on it. and FWIW its a 1990 model, the 1991 had a green splatter paint instead of white as it appears yours has. I have owned mine since new in 1990.

Heres mine a couple years ago with my daughter in tow. Its been a great bike and do not plan on selling it ever

Wow, no kidding. I like the black wall tires on yours, might go that route. I was gauging the age off the vintage trek site, so I stand corrected. Nice bike!
zjrog is offline  
Old 11-12-15, 12:17 AM
  #11289  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Liked 180 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Wow, no kidding. I like the black wall tires on yours, might go that route. I was gauging the age off the vintage trek site, so I stand corrected. Nice bike!
Thanks. It was my first Aluminum Bike. and my 2nd real Mountain bike

from the looks of yours it looks to be completely originl. if those are foam grips on it i would say its completely original. the pedals were basic plastic with metal cage bolted on.
fleslider is offline  
Old 11-12-15, 10:35 AM
  #11290  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,753

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
Thanks. It was my first Aluminum Bike. and my 2nd real Mountain bike

from the looks of yours it looks to be completely originl. if those are foam grips on it i would say its completely original. the pedals were basic plastic with metal cage bolted on.
Nope. No foam grips, the plastic pedals are without cages. So, not 100% original.
zjrog is offline  
Old 11-12-15, 12:14 PM
  #11291  
Senior Member
 
Kobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schwenksville, Pa
Posts: 2,782
Liked 358 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Nope. No foam grips, the plastic pedals are without cages. So, not 100% original.
Addition by subtraction on 2 out of the 3. Foam grips are just plain nasty and with plastic pedals I am always waiting for the inevitable failure.
__________________
80 Mercian Olympic, 92 DB Overdrive, '07 Rivendell AHH, '16 Clockwork All-Rounder
Kobe is offline  
Old 11-12-15, 02:35 PM
  #11292  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,753

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
Addition by subtraction on 2 out of the 3. Foam grips are just plain nasty and with plastic pedals I am always waiting for the inevitable failure.
I agree on the foam, and I've broken more plastic pedals than I can count. But, I am not the monster I used to be, so as long as they are smooth, I will ride them.

I had been looking for other vintage MTBs in my size, I plan to keep this at work to ride when I can. There are others with bikes to ride with. Work is 50 miles and a mountain pass from home, so chance commuting.

Last edited by zjrog; 11-12-15 at 02:40 PM.
zjrog is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 05:32 AM
  #11293  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deluxe 3000

bought it yesterday for a 90$
last of the Era 1989 Panasonic DX-3000
Triple butted Tange tubing
Shimano Exage Action, missing hubs
CT Sakae handlebar
SR Sakae Fluted Seatpost
Sakae Custom Stem
Avocet R1 saddle
and missing also araya wheelset
needs a lot of cleaning and lubing and she's good to ride




Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF45022.jpg (88.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF4501.jpg (59.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF4503.jpg (89.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF4504.jpg (57.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF4505.jpg (53.8 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by 7oss El Leel; 11-24-15 at 04:51 PM.
7oss El Leel is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 09:44 AM
  #11294  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,788

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Liked 2,764 Times in 1,283 Posts
Had a kid, who was home from college, doing a local garage sale. His parents were doing a timely sale to encourage him to purge items from their storage. I think he had better things to do at the prices he was selling. The score: Trek 970, Fender bass guitar and this unmarked fixie project. Palo Alto?
curbtender is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 10:26 AM
  #11295  
Senior Member
 
toavii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Prior Lake
Posts: 558

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Picked up 1994 Bridgestone RB-T this morning. As purchased below.



Didn't have the rack sadly but the frame will clean up very nicely. Will be a nice project to tinker on this winter.
toavii is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 10:42 AM
  #11296  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by toavii
Picked up 1994 Bridgestone RB-T this morning. As purchased below.



Didn't have the rack sadly but the frame will clean up very nicely. Will be a nice project to tinker on this winter.
Nice addition.

I have extra Blackburns if you decide to go in that direction.

I think they are both black.

How much tire can you fit do you suppose?
gomango is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 10:54 AM
  #11297  
Senior Member
 
toavii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Prior Lake
Posts: 558

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Nice addition.

I have extra Blackburns if you decide to go in that direction.

I think they are both black.

How much tire can you fit do you suppose?
I'd probably be interested in the racks. The original owner is going to look around though. I'll measure but it looks like a lot of clearance at first blush.
toavii is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 10:55 AM
  #11298  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,491
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by toavii
I'd probably be interested in the racks. The original owner is going to look around though. I'll measure but it looks like a lot of clearance at first blush.
You have all winter to think about it.
gomango is offline  
Old 11-15-15, 06:49 PM
  #11299  
Senior Member
 
toavii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Prior Lake
Posts: 558

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
You have all winter to think about it.
Pretty sure it'll fit 35s without fenders. Any bigger and it'd probably be pushing it. At this point I'm not planning on running fenders on it.

Any recommendations?
toavii is offline  
Old 11-19-15, 02:24 PM
  #11300  
low end rider
 
riva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 780

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Here is a pic of that trash find RS. Its the one in the back. Had a 1 3/8" tire jammed into the frame. I'm guessing that is why it ended up in the trash.

The one in the front is a Le Mans I picked up for $40 probably ten years back. Eldest is finally tall enough to ride it so I pulled it down from the rafters. Wrapped the bars, still have to true and lube, but both ride well!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
le mans rs.jpg (103.9 KB, 121 views)
riva is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.