Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Storage

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bicycle Storage

Old 05-09-10, 06:03 AM
  #1  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
Thread Starter
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 17,225

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 170 Posts
Bicycle Storage

This might not be the right forum for this question, but I don't know where else to ask. How do you store your bikes so as to maximize space and minimize wife/girl friend annoyance?

My future Mrs. Snake heard about a system of hooks on railings, sort of like a clothes hanger, and I don't know where to look for what she's talking about.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 06:37 AM
  #2  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 902 Posts
It's always a problem in my garage. Right now, mine are on wall mounts or gravity racks.
Our agreement was "none" on the floor, so I only have 3 there.

I'm big on space in the garage, so eventually, they will all be on lifts to the ceiling. Wal-Mart and Lowe's sell a lift kit that's a lot cheaper than the bike box stores, so I'll probably get them there and mount them the most efficient way, which will have the bikes side by side, facing alternating directions.

Whenever you store bikes close together, they find a way to hit each other, and storage damage is always an issue. I simply won't consider storage damage for a couple of bikes, so they get their own wall/wheel hook in another area of the garage.

I've seen ingenious uses of PVC pipe and shelving brackets to make a long rod that stores bikes in a row, rows of hooks on a wall, ceiling lifts, and one of those multiple bike lifts that stores 4-5 together and uses a garage door opener to raise and lower. There's an infinte variety of ways, because we all have multiple reasons we can/cannot store bikes.

Once I get done with my ceiling lifts, I'll probably sell my 14' floor-ceiling rack (3 bikes), my gravity rack (2 bikes), and a 1-bike wall mount to offset the costs. There are always guys like me who need to "do something about those bikes, dear!"
__________________

BLDMAMTAOLD


RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 06:48 AM
  #3  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,414

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 557 Posts
How many bikes do you have to store and how much space?
wrk101 is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 06:51 AM
  #4  
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 29,138

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked 2,081 Times in 1,173 Posts
I like these two teir racks. they take up alot of wall space but considering they make great living art I don't really mind looking at them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SANY0325.jpg (94.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg
SANY0313.jpg (97.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
SANY0311.jpg (95.6 KB, 46 views)
__________________
One morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 07:01 AM
  #5  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
Thread Starter
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 17,225

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
How many bikes do you have to store and how much space?
For now...we have 8 that are "house" bikes and 4 more that are for sale. That number isn't firm and is likely to grow. I have about 10 x 10 of basement space as my bike room, but it has a low ceiling.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 07:08 AM
  #6  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,209
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 134 Posts
Happy Mother's Day.

I am already in the doghouse before 8 am this morning. I got up early to clean bikes, and I violated Mrs. Gomango's rule #102 that states there shall be no road bikes, or parts of road bikes, in her living room.

Guilty as charged. I brought up the portable stand from the basement early this morning and was gleefully finishing up a cleaning of my De Rosa SLX when I heard her stir. There was no use in thinking up excuses, as there are bikes everywhere. Not to mention the tell-tale odor of Simple Green.

As for storing these, I have some nice racks that I made a year ago that kept everything off the floor. I saw a pic in the forums here, and I wish I could remember the thread, but it really allows the tight packing of bikes in a hanging by the front wheel system. You can really pack 'em in if you loosen the handlebar stem and twist it sideways.

The problem right now is we are remodeling our basement and that was my former hideaway for red racing bikes.

I think I am going to band together with a few of my riding cronies and rent a deserted storefront. We found one on the outskirts of DT St. Paul that is right off the Shepherd Road bike path. Second floor has a view of the mighty Mississippi. This would make a dandy off site solution and would be a perfect spot to collect our overflow. Not to mention a great spot for our CL sales efforts. I have two buddies that are selling car parts and this would be a good solution for them as well. All we need is a security system for this site and we are good to go. The owner of the site is in a bike club with her husband so maybe we'll catch a break on rent.

Yep, a bike clubhouse. That's the ticket! I think I'll put this idea in the Mother's Day card that I am going to purchase in two or three minutes!
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 07:14 AM
  #7  
Grim
Senior Member
 
Grim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,992

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a simular rack as Bianchigirll for my Daily drivers that live in the foyer. They keep the bikes reasonably tight to the wall Only thing of warning is you need to get a short bunge to keep the front wheel straight and off the wall.
The one I have is sold as "Bikes Aloft at Performance. There is a set of optional short hangers that alow you to expand that style rack to hold 4 bikes but you would have to be a good ways off the wall to allow access to all the bikes.

I'm tossing around the idea of ripping some of the sheet rock off the ceiling of my garage to allow access to the roof joists so that I can slip the bikes up between the ceiling joists to get some head room. My buddy stores his bikes that way in his detached 3 bay shop and has about 6.5 feet of clearance to walk under them.


www.rei.com and /www.performancebike.com show quite a few storage options on their sites.

With your low ceilings in your store room might want to look a a row of these on one wall. You could alternate the height so the handle bars do not tangle and get quite a few bikes on one wall.
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400007_400245

Last edited by Grim; 05-09-10 at 07:22 AM.
Grim is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 07:48 AM
  #8  
auchencrow
Senior Member
 
auchencrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,327
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I have packed the garage to the gills, and as they spilled over into my basement (below) I created a mini version of the racks I've used in my garage.

They are simple and ultra-cheap to construct, can be rearranged and positioned wherever there is a little floor space, and I suppose (if you stick with treated lumber) they could be stacked outside like cord wood as you trim down the bike population within your domicile. (Haven't had occasion to try that myself though. )

You'll need a drill-driver, a miter saw, and the following parts:

(2) 16" lengths of 2x4 lumber
(3) 19" lengths of 2x4 lumber
(4) deck railing slats, cut to 34" lengths
(20) deck screws
I position the slats at 3-1/2" on center, to capture the front/rear road wheels. (That also seems to be a viable spacing even for my MTB).

__________________
- Auchen
auchencrow is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 07:52 AM
  #9  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,209
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
I have packed the garage to the gills, and as they spilled over into my basement (below) I created a mini version of the racks I've used in my garage.

They are simple and ultra-cheap to construct, can be rearranged and positioned wherever there is a little floor space, and I suppose (if you stick with treated lumber) they could be stacked outside like cord wood as you trim down the bike population within your domicile. (Haven't had occasion to try that myself though. )

You'll need a drill-driver, a miter saw, and the following parts:

(2) 16" lengths of 2x4 lumber
(3) 19" lengths of 2x4 lumber
(4) deck railing slats, cut to 34" lengths
(20) deck screws
I position the slats at 3-1/2" on center, to capture the front/rear road wheels. (That also seems to be a viable spacing even for my MTB).

Thank you for this design. I was looking for an inexpensive, thoughtful design for my sons' bikes.

Eureka. This is it!
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 08:07 AM
  #10  
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 14,086
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
I have a hooks on rails system in my garage. I bought it at Sears. I'll look for pics.....
miamijim is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 08:32 AM
  #11  
BigPolishJimmy
Senior Member
 
BigPolishJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Posts: 1,561

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
...

+1

This is very nice, I can't believe I haven't thought of this. My bikes are just parked side-by-side in the barn however they go in. The regular riders are parked with their front wheel under a workbench that I don't use much. I have a taller workbench that I built for my height. I often have problems with pedals getting caught in spokes, or several bikes tipping over together, not tipping all the way but leaning enough to tangle up so that removal is a pain. I have a bunch of scrap lunber, so a bike rack it is.
BigPolishJimmy is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 11:27 AM
  #12  
Soma Roark
Senior Member
 
Soma Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 378

Bikes: Trek 600 Series, Miyata 610, Palo Alto Touring, Schwinn Paramountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's best if they don't see it... so 1.) dedicated bike shack if you have space in the yard 2.) outside storage rental
Soma Roark is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 01:38 PM
  #13  
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic
 
pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: An Island on the Coast of GA!
Posts: 12,325

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, Aero Lotus & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
For now...we have 8 that are "house" bikes and 4 more that are for sale. That number isn't firm and is likely to grow. I have about 10 x 10 of basement space as my bike room, but it has a low ceiling.
Even with a low ceiling, try hanging the bikes from one hook and one wheel. If you carefully space the hooks and hang the bikes in an up and down sequence, you should be able to almost store 8 bikes across a 10 foot span.
__________________
Bob
Enjoying the GA coast all year long!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com





pastorbobnlnh is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 01:47 PM
  #14  
RFC
Senior Member
 
RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,466

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
It's always a problem in my garage. Right now, mine are on wall mounts or gravity racks. Our agreement was "none" on the floor, so I only have 3 there.

I'm big on space in the garage, so eventually, they will all be on lifts to the ceiling. Wal-Mart and Lowe's sell a lift kit that's a lot cheaper than the bike box stores, so I'll probably get them there and mount them the most efficient way, which will have the bikes side by side, facing alternating directions.

Whenever you store bikes close together, they find a way to hit each other, and storage damage is always an issue. I simply won't consider storage damage for a couple of bikes, so they get their own wall/wheel hook in another area of the garage.

I've seen ingenious uses of PVC pipe and shelving brackets to make a long rod that stores bikes in a row, rows of hooks on a wall, ceiling lifts, and one of those multiple bike lifts that stores 4-5 together and uses a garage door opener to raise and lower. There's an infinte variety of ways, because we all have multiple reasons we can/cannot store bikes.

Once I get done with my ceiling lifts, I'll probably sell my 14' floor-ceiling rack (3 bikes), my gravity rack (2 bikes), and a 1-bike wall mount to offset the costs. There are always guys like me who need to "do something about those bikes, dear!"
That sounds about right.
RFC is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 01:49 PM
  #15  
RFC
Senior Member
 
RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,466

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow View Post
I have packed the garage to the gills, and as they spilled over into my basement (below) I created a mini version of the racks I've used in my garage.

They are simple and ultra-cheap to construct, can be rearranged and positioned wherever there is a little floor space, and I suppose (if you stick with treated lumber) they could be stacked outside like cord wood as you trim down the bike population within your domicile. (Haven't had occasion to try that myself though. )

You'll need a drill-driver, a miter saw, and the following parts:

(2) 16" lengths of 2x4 lumber
(3) 19" lengths of 2x4 lumber
(4) deck railing slats, cut to 34" lengths
(20) deck screws
I position the slats at 3-1/2" on center, to capture the front/rear road wheels. (That also seems to be a viable spacing even for my MTB).

Yes, just what I've been looking for.
RFC is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 10:28 PM
  #16  
brockd15 
Senior Member
 
brockd15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 1,624
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Veloglide

There's a system made by Veloglide that has hooks that slide on crossbars, and the crossbars in turn slide on two fixed bars. You can see a demo of it on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVVjzbb8aQ.

I wanted that system but didn't want to spend the money on it, so I built something similar. It's a little embarrassing how long it took me to figure out just how to do it, but I've been using it for quite a while now and it's great.

I bolted two garage door rails to the rafters in my garage and bought a bunch of garage door rollers on ebay for cheap. I used conduit for the crossbars and put a roller in each end so they could roll forward and back on the rails. For the hooks, I bought aluminum straps, cut them into pieces, and bent them into hooks. Then I put some clear plastic tubing over the hooks and hung the bikes up. I can get 9 on there I think. Here's what it looks like...




brockd15 is offline  
Old 05-09-10, 11:38 PM
  #17  
jamesj
Senior Member
 
jamesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 927

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
I would buy that system but i had no luck looking for it online, even at the website it listed. Lame!


Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
There's a system made by Veloglide that has hooks that slide on crossbars, and the crossbars in turn slide on two fixed bars. You can see a demo of it on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOVVjzbb8aQ.

I wanted that system but didn't want to spend the money on it, so I built something similar. It's a little embarrassing how long it took me to figure out just how to do it, but I've been using it for quite a while now and it's great.

I bolted two garage door rails to the rafters in my garage and bought a bunch of garage door rollers on ebay for cheap. I used conduit for the crossbars and put a roller in each end so they could roll forward and back on the rails. For the hooks, I bought aluminum straps, cut them into pieces, and bent them into hooks. Then I put some clear plastic tubing over the hooks and hung the bikes up. I can get 9 on there I think. Here's what it looks like...




jamesj is offline  
Old 05-10-10, 12:52 AM
  #18  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 27,766

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,585 Posts
That looks like a bicycle clothes rack - push this or that to the side and take your pick.

-Kurt
__________________







cudak888 is offline  
Old 05-10-10, 04:15 AM
  #19  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
Thread Starter
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 17,225

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
That looks like a bicycle clothes rack - push this or that to the side and take your pick.

-Kurt
That's exactly what my fiancee was envisioning, except we were thinking something that just hung from one wheel.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 05-10-10, 05:52 AM
  #20  
miamijim
Senior Member
 
miamijim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 14,086
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 86 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
That's exactly what my fiancee was envisioning, except we were thinking something that just hung from one wheel.
I bought this system at Sears. Gladiator GarageWorks. The row of bikes picture spans 1/2 of the bachwall of my garage. You cany slide them like they're on a clothesline or rollers but you can move the hooks closer together by hand to more tightly pack the bike that aren't geing ridden. As you can I have still have 1 slot left on the left. No worries though, I have 3 bikes upstairs and 2 in garage not pictured!!

I was going to paint the back wall with some of that kids proof paint but the lady at Home Depot recommended a semi-gloss latex. Tires makes clean right up!!



miamijim is offline  
Old 05-10-10, 05:55 AM
  #21  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
Thread Starter
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 17,225

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 170 Posts
That's EXACTLY what we're looking for! Thanks!
Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
I bought this system at Sears. Gladiator GarageWorks. The row of bikes picture spans 1/2 of the bachwall of my garage. You cany slide them like they're on a clothesline or rollers but you can move the hooks closer together by hand to more tightly pack the bike that aren't geing ridden. As you can I have still have 1 slot left on the left. No worries though, I have 3 bikes upstairs and 2 in garage not pictured!!

I was going to paint the back wall with some of that kids proof paint but the lady at Home Depot recommended a semi-gloss latex. Tires makes clean right up!!



KonAaron Snake is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DeadGrandpa
General Cycling Discussion
116
01-06-19 01:07 PM
frantik
Classic & Vintage
46
02-22-13 05:28 PM
robo
General Cycling Discussion
13
05-06-12 04:46 AM
surgtech1956
General Cycling Discussion
40
10-11-10 05:02 PM
nocondorfx
Road Cycling
54
02-26-10 05:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.