Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 12-11-15, 10:26 PM
  #1401  
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,317

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Similar frame being offered locally:

https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/bik/5298389697.html
That is what I will be looking for in the spring. Good to know they are out there.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-11-15, 10:36 PM
  #1402  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It just means you have done your job Robbie. You spread the word and people listened.
Now my pump peg system is not reliable because it varies from brand to brand. The wife's 52 Team Miyata has a peg.
Here is a question that someone can answer for me. I know that Centurion sponsored some pro teams/riders. Did they ever have a bike with a number hanger on it?
Reportedly they raced on a facet, I presume like this one. I dont see one in this pic. However you being the king of most unique Ironman, you would know better than anyone not to be surprised with what they did.
R.T. owned one at some point. This was taken from a Houston CL a while back. I was going to post it but it appears they sold it fairly quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
00707_ns2A0B3WUi_600x450~2.jpg (64.5 KB, 86 views)
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 12:22 AM
  #1403  
The Freewheeler
 
the_freewheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ATL/CHI
Posts: 225

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by attylah
Just bought this gem on San Francisco C.L. Awaiting shipment from an LBS to me here in Oregon. LBS says the paint is immaculate! So excited to build up my first Ironman.
Found this model for sale on CL as a complete build for $300

Centurion Ironman


Last edited by the_freewheeler; 12-12-15 at 12:26 AM.
the_freewheeler is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 12:38 AM
  #1404  
The Freewheeler
 
the_freewheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ATL/CHI
Posts: 225

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another Centurion Ironman!

the_freewheeler is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 06:20 AM
  #1405  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by bowermb
Found this model for sale on CL as a complete build for $300

Centurion Ironman

This is a Great deal. All upgraded. I'm not familiar with the components though, hopefully someone here will know. The stem and seat post are Not original. I think it is a 9 speed ultegra, however difficult to tell with these pics. What crank set is that? Paint obviously is Not in excellent condition but hey its a Miami Vice. Man, thanks for posting.
BTW this would be labeled a 54cm by centurion. And if I lived in the Atlanta area I would get this.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-12-15 at 07:52 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 06:32 AM
  #1406  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It just means you have done your job Robbie. You spread the word and people listened.
Now my pump peg system is not reliable because it varies from brand to brand. The wife's 52 Team Miyata has a peg.
Here is a question that someone can answer for me. I know that Centurion sponsored some pro teams/riders.

Did they ever have a bike with a number hanger on it?
I don't know. They raced pink Facets at one point.
I believe a steel bike with custom paint at another.

Go ahead, tell her where to hang her number....


Fairly wide range of frame sizes....


I like the jerseys.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:28 AM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 06:45 AM
  #1407  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Reportedly they raced on a facet, I presume like this one. I dont see one in this pic. However you being the king of most unique Ironman, you would know better than anyone not to be surprised with what they did. This was taken from a Houston CL a while back. I was going to post it but it appears they sold it fairly quickly.
There's been one for sale here for quite a while, looks all beat to heck.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Reportedly they raced on a Facet.
R.T. owned one at some point.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:28 AM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 05:09 PM
  #1408  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,508
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,505 Times in 1,509 Posts
The jerseys are pretty sweet. But what about one of those zebra saddles!
seypat is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 06:38 PM
  #1409  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
This is a Great deal. All upgraded. I'm not familiar with the components though, hopefully someone here will know. The stem and seat post are Not original. I think it is a 9 speed ultegra, however difficult to tell with these pics. What crank set is that? Paint obviously is Not in excellent condition but hey its a Miami Vice. Man, thanks for posting.
BTW this would be labeled a 54cm by centurion. And if I lived in the Atlanta area I would get this.

According to the picture and 2 what i see only thing original is the seatpost , Stem and Headset, ohh and the BB apparently. The rest is newer stuff with looks to be 9 speed 105 with Brifters and Tektro Brakes.

The Cranks are FSA not sure which model though
fleslider is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 06:40 PM
  #1410  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Big Bend region of TX
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found on CL like this, for real cheap.

Slowly building it up like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150806_154843.jpg (89.1 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg
20151212_170739.jpg (94.5 KB, 373 views)
mowillie is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 07:19 PM
  #1411  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
According to the picture and 2 what i see only thing original is the seatpost , Stem and Headset, ohh and the BB apparently. The rest is newer stuff with looks to be 9 speed 105 with Brifters and Tektro Brakes.

The Cranks are FSA not sure which model though
That's what he said. And I can understand why you would think that. However the stem is too long to be OEM for that size frame. Also the seat post was fluted not smooth (as that one appears to be) for that year model.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-12-15 at 07:29 PM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 07:41 PM
  #1412  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by mowillie

Found on CL like this, for real cheap.

Slowly building it up like this.
Amazingly Awesome. Congratulations and welcome to the forum. We're always happy to meet someone as smart and good looking as we think we are. We know youre intelligent cause you bought a CIM and that also improves your looks by at least 50 percent.
I'm pretty sure RobbieTunes will be around shortly to make you official.
It would be awesomer to keep us updated with pics on your build. Later you good looking smart person you.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 07:44 PM
  #1413  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Seems like a lot of those in Texas.
Just goes to show you, Texans confident enough to ride pink and yellow, no problem.

Not only are we good looking and smart, our kids are above average according to all government tests.

Originally Posted by mowillie

Found on CL like this, for real cheap.



Slowly building it up like this.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-12-15 at 07:47 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 08:20 PM
  #1414  
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,885

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I am taking from the front page and posting it to the current last just because well.... seafoam fade. yes.

jetboy is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 10:48 PM
  #1415  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
That's what he said. And I can understand why you would think that. However the stem is too long to be OEM for that size frame. Also the seat post was fluted not smooth (as that one appears to be) for that year model.
Sharp Eye Tex, then maybe the Headset and Bottom Bracket are OE, But its a Miami Vice, So its got my vote!
fleslider is offline  
Old 12-12-15, 10:50 PM
  #1416  
Senior Member
 
fleslider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,506

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
I am taking from the front page and posting it to the current last just because well.... seafoam fade. yes.

My Second favorite color scheme for CIM's someday i will get that color combo. and it think its needs to be a 1988 like that one since i already have a 87 and a 89
fleslider is offline  
Old 12-13-15, 05:57 AM
  #1417  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
I am taking from the front page and posting it to the current last just because well.... seafoam fade. yes.

I didn't want to comment after your post just so this pic could stay up longer.
Although it's the same color as Tealman, it reminds me more of your R/W fade. I wonder if this was your inspiration.
I can see why you would repost it, it just made it into my top 10 CIM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-13-15, 08:08 AM
  #1418  
Newbie
 
triitout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: long island, n.y.
Posts: 47

Bikes: Viscount: Pro, GP, Gran Touring, Gran Sports, custom single speed. Vitus 979, Trek Madone 5.2, Motobecane Le Champion SL Ti, Kona Koa, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I dodged a bullet. Started rebuilding my Vice with the headset overhaul and found out why the bike arrived with the locknut loosened. The damm thread was a bit chewed up by what I suspect was a bad locknut since the top race was manageable though tight at one point. Dropped the bike off at a local frame builder who mercifully said "YES" it can be repaired. Not like there's a lot of magenta forks to be had. The joy of remote CL finds. Holding my breath... I'll see how it goes by the end of the week.
triitout is offline  
Old 12-13-15, 08:38 AM
  #1419  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by triitout
I think I dodged a bullet. Started rebuilding my Vice with the headset overhaul and found out why the bike arrived with the locknut loosened. The damm thread was a bit chewed up by what I suspect was a bad locknut since the top race was manageable though tight at one point. Dropped the bike off at a local frame builder who mercifully said "YES" it can be repaired. Not like there's a lot of magenta forks to be had. The joy of remote CL finds. Holding my breath... I'll see how it goes by the end of the week.
Yikes! Didn't see that coming. However the frame builder sounds optimistic, and I'm gonna go with that. Hang in there ,good luck, and keep us posted.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 10:33 AM
  #1420  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Here's another problematic CIM. I currently have an excellent condition 56cm MV Ironman . However it's just a bit too big as I prefer 54cm in CIM. So when this 54 came up despite its condition I got it. This is how it came.
The seat post and stem are stuck (in the words of jetboy) Hard. This will be my first time removing a stuck seatpost/stem and also removing/reinstalling BB,well after overhauling it. It's gonna take some time as I don't have the BB tools yet. Good luck to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20151214_095242~2.jpg (89.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg
20151214_095252~2.jpg (103.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
20151214_095314~2.jpg (86.7 KB, 84 views)
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 05:51 PM
  #1421  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I can lend you the tools.....you know why.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 12-14-15, 10:19 PM
  #1422  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Maybe I just get post happy. I'm not that keen on the fact it's a single speed,and it's too big to consider purchasing. But dang check out the colors. I don't know maybe it's the camera or lighting , but WOW! That bike makes me think of summer, which currently seems so far,far away.
R.T. you're a class act, but tomorrow I'm headed to the LBS and the last time I was in there they had old BB tools in the discount bin for vintage bikes. If they're still there I'll probably pick them up.
Fixed gear 58 cm aluminum frame Centurion
Check out the guys first sentence. We already know.
I do wonder what it stops like.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-15-15 at 05:26 AM.
texaspandj is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 07:12 AM
  #1423  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
That is one color I've not seen on an Ironman....'89 graphics. We may have to add that to the db.





Originally Posted by texaspandj
Maybe I just get post happy. I'm not that keen on the fact it's a single speed,and it's too big to consider purchasing. But dang check out the colors. I don't know maybe it's the camera or lighting , but WOW! That bike makes me think of summer, which currently seems so far,far away.
R.T. you're a class act, but tomorrow I'm headed to the LBS and the last time I was in there they had old BB tools in the discount bin for vintage bikes. If they're still there I'll probably pick them up.
Fixed gear 58 cm aluminum frame Centurion
Check out the guys first sentence. We already know.
I do wonder what it stops like.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 11:10 AM
  #1424  
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,317

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
How difficult will it be for me to find an Ironman Master frameset for my spring build? Should I broaden the scope to include the Expert?
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-15-15, 12:08 PM
  #1425  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,238

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
How difficult will it be for me to find an Ironman Master frameset for my spring build? Should I broaden the scope to include the Expert?
No too difficult. It's just like your other bikes. Depends on size and location. And if your particular about color or year. And FYI the Ironman had a short life span 85-89. And the master or expert was only available 87-89. 85-86 were just Ironman. One more point the difference in master/expert was components not tubing. Members post for sale ads here from time to time. What are you looking for?

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-15-15 at 12:13 PM.
texaspandj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.