Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Breezer Radar Cafe vs Fuji Absolute 1.3

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Breezer Radar Cafe vs Fuji Absolute 1.3

Reply

Old 01-11-18, 02:48 AM
  #1  
Millstone
Member
Thread Starter
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 44

Bikes: PGN10T, '84 Gazelle Tour de L'Avenir, and some more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Breezer Radar Cafe vs Fuji Absolute 1.3

Hi all,


I am looking for a new commuter bike and I think I nailed it down to these 2.
I really like the steel from the Breezer (I think, will testride tomorrow), but the Fuji is quite nice too.
Discbrakes are mandatory, I want to be able to halt the bike when it's wet.
I dont have to 'race' to my work, if I want that I'll take a small backpack and my racingbike.


It's quite flat over here, so gearing should suffice. I commute 20 kms each day (10+10), I'll use the bike on weekends too. So that's another 20km at least. Fenders are a must, wheels should be 700 ranging from 28/32 in summer, perhaps 40ish in winter.
A rear rack is mandatory too: I need a place to hang a bag or 2.
Half of the route is just for bikes, the other half is citytraffic. I need an upright position, drops wont do.


I like the LBS that sell these bikes/brands, so if there are any other contenders (Fuji/Breezer) I'd like to hear those too.
Budget will be 1000,= or a tad less. Just exchange US$ 1:1 . I suppose...


Can anyone shed a bit of light on this? Most bikes I bought in my life were (very good) 2nd hands, this is quite a sum for me. I dont mind upgrading later on the drivetrain, if needed.


Cheers,


Jan
Millstone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 08:20 AM
  #2  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 2,214

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Those two options don't seem to line up with your requirements. I would be looking at city/commuting bikes that come with fenders, rack, dynamo lighting, and probably internal gears. The flat-bar road bike doesn't make any sense to me.
kingston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 02:54 PM
  #3  
corwin1968
Senior Member
 
corwin1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,385
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
If you ride the Radar Cafe, please share your thoughts on it. That bike meets almost all of my requirements if I were looking to buy a complete bike.
corwin1968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 01:45 AM
  #4  
Boye
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think both look pretty good for flatbar bikes. Make sure they have clearance for fenders and mountings for a rack.

Also, there is no need to go for more narrow tyres during the summer - a supple wide one will be wonderful (eg. Randonneur Hyper or Schwalbe Almotion).

I don't think frame material makes the biggest difference but I really like the look of many steel frames with the small diameter tubes compared to alu.
Boye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 10:00 AM
  #5  
Sullalto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,186

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
Those two options don't seem to line up with your requirements. I would be looking at city/commuting bikes that come with fenders, rack, dynamo lighting, and probably internal gears. The flat-bar road bike doesn't make any sense to me.
Going to have to completely disagree with you there.

Derailleurs aren't some horrid cesspit of maintenance, IGH is definitely an acquired luxury not a requirement.

Dynamo lighting is pretty uncommon, especially stock. While I definitely want dynamo lighting, I've never found charging lights while at work onerous enough where I make the financial plunge.

Wanting a rack to come with the bike seems like unnecessarily limiting your options. Fitting a rack isn't some outlandish adventure. Personally, I love my topeak trunk bag, so I'm tied to the proprietary mounting rail for it(why I love the bag, actually). So even if a bike comes with a rack, I'm immediately swapping it.

What would you suggest with dynamo, fenders, IGH and a rack for around $1k?
Sullalto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:20 PM
  #6  
kingston 
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 2,214

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sullalto View Post
Going to have to completely disagree with you there.

Derailleurs aren't some horrid cesspit of maintenance, IGH is definitely an acquired luxury not a requirement.

Dynamo lighting is pretty uncommon, especially stock. While I definitely want dynamo lighting, I've never found charging lights while at work onerous enough where I make the financial plunge.

Wanting a rack to come with the bike seems like unnecessarily limiting your options. Fitting a rack isn't some outlandish adventure. Personally, I love my topeak trunk bag, so I'm tied to the proprietary mounting rail for it(why I love the bag, actually). So even if a bike comes with a rack, I'm immediately swapping it.
My perspective may be a little different than yours because I would never use the same bike for commuting and weekend rides. Although it would never be something I would chose for myself, I suppose a flat-bar road bike could fill both of those needs adequately well.


Originally Posted by Sullalto View Post
What would you suggest with dynamo, fenders, IGH and a rack for around $1k?
There are lots of options available, especially in the Netherlands. I bought my wife a used Gazelle Omafiets for $600 that would make a good commuter. I also like most of the Breezer city bikes better than the Radar Cafe for commuting.

I built this townie last year that I like a lot and would be just about perfect for me a 10k commute. I spent a bit more than $1k, but I could have easily done it for that budget.
kingston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 03:02 PM
  #7  
Millstone
Member
Thread Starter
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 44

Bikes: PGN10T, '84 Gazelle Tour de L'Avenir, and some more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi,


Thanks for the comments!


1st: I want to ride something different. At the moment I ride a 7-speed, internal speed Batavus Lento.
It's ... kinda boring. Decent enough but I want to ride something different.


Not having a rear pannier or fenders isnt a problem, if I can fit something on a Peugeot 1983 carbolite 'race' bike, I can do that to either bike (Breezer or Fuji) also.


Weekend rides here is most of the time just with the kids from the town I live to the next one. They are 10 and 8, so it's a slow ride
Idf I want to go far, I'm probably on my own... I'll probably use my racingbike then. Also steel.


Wich brings me to both bikes. I've tested a 21" frame Fuji 1.1 absolute and I found it kinda boring. It didnt do it for me. No idea why, but if I bought an old MTB/ATB 'fixed' and put decent wheels on it, I'd think it would feel the same or perhaps better. Didnt feel (for me!) as a 'fun' bike to ride.


The Breezer... I've tested a Radar Expert in 'M', and while it's far from the same bike, the frameset is the same.
It looked very good, nice workmanship. I really do like steel I think the tires are too wide (45? come on..) though, but that's an easy fix.


Kinda curious how a 'flat bar' bike will feel/steer, but I think it'll be okay. Do like the brakes, havent had a discbrake bike before. Kinda nice, we do get a fair amount of rain here so rimbrakes on a daily commuter is possible, but this ( the discs) should be better.


BTW, I put battery-lights on my bike(s), they are recharable and I always have at least 1 spare set in my saddlebags. Even in The Netherlands, light on your bike is pretty essential.


I havent made up my mind completely yet, but I'll probably go for the Breezer. Nice 'classic' lines, nice (red!) colour, decent prize...


Anything out there in the same class that I am missing?


Again, thanks for all the comments! It does help, really!
And thanks for reading!


Best regards,


Jan
Millstone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 01:12 AM
  #8  
Weisswurst20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Millstone, did you buy the Breezer? I am also interested in this bike and in the breezer doppler pro, so if you have ride it, can you share your experiences?
Weisswurst20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 03:00 AM
  #9  
Millstone
Member
Thread Starter
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 44

Bikes: PGN10T, '84 Gazelle Tour de L'Avenir, and some more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi,


No --> I wanted to use it for a small bike-packing holiday with the family, but I am afraid the bike wont be available for that in time. We'll be leaving at the end of April, bike wont be here before the first half of April, or a tad later... I cant really risk that.


I've transferred an old steel Giant MTB for this in the meantime, that will be our travelbike. The other ones will be the kids' bikes, and my 'normal' one.


HOWEVER: I still want that Breezer and I will probably buy it either in August or something (if it's still available in my size), or order a new one for 2019. Because it tickes (almost?) all the boxes I want from a bike.


Hope this helps,


Jan
Millstone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 07:49 AM
  #10  
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master
 
Darth_Firebolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,102

Bikes: 2017 Breezer Radar Pro, 2017 Trek 920, 2011 Specialized Tricross Sport, 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1992 Mongoose IBOC Comp, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 1987 Bridgestone 550, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the comments!

Wich brings me to both bikes. I've tested a 21" frame Fuji 1.1 absolute and I found it kinda boring. It didnt do it for me. No idea why, but if I bought an old MTB/ATB 'fixed' and put decent wheels on it, I'd think it would feel the same or perhaps better. Didnt feel (for me!) as a 'fun' bike to ride.

The Breezer... I've tested a Radar Expert in 'M', and while it's far from the same bike, the frameset is the same.
It looked very good, nice workmanship. I really do like steel I think the tires are too wide (45? come on..) though, but that's an easy fix.

Again, thanks for all the comments! It does help, really!
And thanks for reading!

Best regards,

Jan
Jan, how tall are you and how did the Breezer fit? I'm about to purchase a Breezer, but nobody around me keeps them in stock. I'm looking at a Radar Expert in the 51 (M) size. Thanks!
Darth_Firebolt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 08:22 AM
  #11  
Millstone
Member
Thread Starter
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 44

Bikes: PGN10T, '84 Gazelle Tour de L'Avenir, and some more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Nice bike!


I'm 1.87 cm tall, that's 6'1 or there about. I'm not 'big', I weigh about 75 kgs and like to run 'long' distances, now and then (think 25-60 kms). So I am not really fat.
Inseam: ... 87-88 cms so about 34 and-a-bit in inches.


To be honest, I think the bike would have fit me, or almost. But I just rode round on it to get a feel for it. I wouldnt have minded a slightly bigger frame, but that's just me.


So yeah, hope this helps! GL with your choice, post pics!
Millstone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 10:21 PM
  #12  
Bill Gem
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Hi,


Thanks for the comments!


1st: I want to ride something different. At the moment I ride a 7-speed, internal speed Batavus Lento.
It's ... kinda boring. Decent enough but I want to ride something different.


Not having a rear pannier or fenders isnt a problem, if I can fit something on a Peugeot 1983 carbolite 'race' bike, I can do that to either bike (Breezer or Fuji) also.


Weekend rides here is most of the time just with the kids from the town I live to the next one. They are 10 and 8, so it's a slow ride
Idf I want to go far, I'm probably on my own... I'll probably use my racingbike then. Also steel.


Wich brings me to both bikes. I've tested a 21" frame Fuji 1.1 absolute and I found it kinda boring. It didnt do it for me. No idea why, but if I bought an old MTB/ATB 'fixed' and put decent wheels on it, I'd think it would feel the same or perhaps better. Didnt feel (for me!) as a 'fun' bike to ride.


The Breezer... I've tested a Radar Expert in 'M', and while it's far from the same bike, the frameset is the same.
It looked very good, nice workmanship. I really do like steel I think the tires are too wide (45? come on..) though, but that's an easy fix.


Kinda curious how a 'flat bar' bike will feel/steer, but I think it'll be okay. Do like the brakes, havent had a discbrake bike before. Kinda nice, we do get a fair amount of rain here so rimbrakes on a daily commuter is possible, but this ( the discs) should be better.


BTW, I put battery-lights on my bike(s), they are recharable and I always have at least 1 spare set in my saddlebags. Even in The Netherlands, light on your bike is pretty essential.


I havent made up my mind completely yet, but I'll probably go for the Breezer. Nice 'classic' lines, nice (red!) colour, decent prize...


Anything out there in the same class that I am missing?


Again, thanks for all the comments! It does help, really!
And thanks for reading!


Best regards,


Jan
Priority Continuum Onyx

Last edited by Bill Gem; 03-29-18 at 08:51 AM.
Bill Gem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-18, 09:06 PM
  #13  
Da ve
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RTP North Carolina
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI - I am the proud new owner of a 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro; let me know if you have any questions at all.


Just a quick note about the geometry, as I'm sure this will be the first set of questions... I bought the 54 based on geometry research of similar bikes, and the 2017 model.


I am 5'10, with a 31" stand-over, bought the 54, and it's a perfect fit.

I am however someone that prefers to size-down VS. size-up due to being longer torso vs. longer legged and prefer a relaxed fit.
Da ve is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service