Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lost Another Rider

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lost Another Rider

Old 10-24-23, 07:26 PM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Lost Another Rider

Cycling rider was killed on Chicago's North Side today. Driver took off but traffic cameras enabled police to catch him quickly.
Wonder what punishment he will get?

gm
gringomojado is offline  
Old 10-25-23, 02:29 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,679

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 315 Posts
Sad to hear.

Anything from involuntary manslaughter to not even losing their driver's license.
tFUnK is offline  
Old 10-26-23, 07:27 AM
  #3  
Let's Ride!
 
RidingMatthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Triad, NC USA
Posts: 2,569

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
That is sad to hear.
RidingMatthew is offline  
Old 10-26-23, 09:18 AM
  #4  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Cycling rider was killed on Chicago's North Side today. Driver took off but traffic cameras enabled police to catch him quickly.
Wonder what punishment he will get?
Leaving the scene of a fatal accident in Illinois is a Class 1 felony, punishable by a minimum of four years in prison, and a maximum of fifteen years.

Further details on the crash.

Last edited by TC1; 10-26-23 at 09:25 AM.
TC1 is offline  
Old 11-02-23, 11:24 AM
  #5  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
And, as if we required any further evidence that the road safety problem in this country is due to cops and district attorneys who are flagrantly refusing to do their jobs, this drunk driver who killed a person and fled the scene was not charged with any crime at all.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/10...and-advocates/

It does not matter how much infrastructure we build nor how many laws we pass to regulate the usage of it. As long as our "law enforcement" is in complete dereliction of their duty, which has been the case for many years now, road user safety is not going to improve.
TC1 is offline  
Old 11-02-23, 12:18 PM
  #6  
I am potato.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,110

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
And, as if we required any further evidence that the road safety problem in this country is due to cops and district attorneys who are flagrantly refusing to do their jobs, this drunk driver who killed a person and fled the scene was not charged with any crime at all.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/10...and-advocates/

It does not matter how much infrastructure we build nor how many laws we pass to regulate the usage of it. As long as our "law enforcement" is in complete dereliction of their duty, which has been the case for many years now, road user safety is not going to improve.
Careful. Saying the driver won't be charged or held to account (even if true) will bring out some BF A&S/vehicular cycling forum driver apologist with a an unshakable steadfast belief in "the system" with pleas for more information, a boatload of excuses, & to make sure that you know it was only an "accident." For if only the cyclist were vigilant like they are with their 50 years experience that none of "this" would happen.

Of course the driver isn't charged. They won't be charged. They rarely if ever are! If they are, they are almost never held to account.

Why is this still acceptable. Why was this ever acceptable.

Last edited by base2; 11-02-23 at 12:23 PM.
base2 is offline  
Likes For base2:
Old 11-03-23, 09:45 PM
  #7  
Live not by lies.
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 1,306

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I think nothing changes until it begins to inconvenience the other way. Maybe every time this happens have a giant bike rally that radically slows down traffic. Especially around the prosecutors office, hopefully it’s close to city hall. Homeless people usually don’t have much going on. Pay them to help get in the way and slow things down. Coordinate with spouses or friends with cars, put those cars behind massive slow moving bike rally. Disguise that cars are in on it.

This is the actual way change happens. Be a PITA or have a lot of money or both. Voting is for suckers.
SkinGriz is offline  
Old 11-03-23, 09:47 PM
  #8  
Live not by lies.
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 1,306

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Careful. Saying the driver won't be charged or held to account (even if true) will bring out some BF A&S/vehicular cycling forum driver apologist with a an unshakable steadfast belief in "the system" with pleas for more information, a boatload of excuses, & to make sure that you know it was only an "accident." For if only the cyclist were vigilant like they are with their 50 years experience that none of "this" would happen.

Of course the driver isn't charged. They won't be charged. They rarely if ever are! If they are, they are almost never held to account.

Why is this still acceptable. Why was this ever acceptable.
“Why is this still acceptable.(?)”

Because there is no negative consequence suffered when it isn’t addressed.
SkinGriz is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 12:11 PM
  #9  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Somebody please explain to me how a drunk hit and run kills a person and is released.
fat biker is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 07:48 PM
  #10  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,498

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,457 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by fat biker
Somebody please explain to me how a drunk hit and run kills a person and is released.
Laws in the US are crazy. Stuff like this is considered to be unintentional and somehow unavoidable. Or it's considered the price we pay for our mobility. Or some other such garbage.

If you want to murder someone, the best way to get away with it is to run them over with a car.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 08:32 PM
  #11  
TC1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Illinois
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Laws in the US are crazy.
This is the wrong answer. The laws in this instance are perfectly fine. The problem is that the district attorney refused to apply them -- or, in fact, do any work at all.

It does not matter one bit which laws we write and pass so long as the people that we pay to enforce those laws -- cops and prosecutors -- continue to refuse to work. It is at their feet which the entire road safety problem lies, and they have the blood of thousands on their hands, and they do not care in the slightest.
TC1 is offline  
Old 11-22-23, 08:08 PM
  #12  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,498

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,457 Times in 1,430 Posts
You make good points, @TC1.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.