Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

hook, line, and sinker

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

hook, line, and sinker

Old 12-06-06, 08:04 AM
  #1  
same time
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hook, line, and sinker

Riding in today, I saw a car with a coffee on the roof stopped at a red light.

Being the good sucker that I am, I rolled up to the driver's window, said, "Hey, your coffee", and tried to hand it to him. But, it was stuck to the roof, and the guy said, "Thank you, happy holidays, would you like a free five dollar gift card to Starbucks...."

I got mad and rode away, but if anybody wants five bucks at Starbucks, look for a car with a coffee on the roof.
same time is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:10 AM
  #2  
thdave
Senior Member
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by same time
Riding in today, I saw a car with a coffee on the roof stopped at a red light.

Being the good sucker that I am, I rolled up to the driver's window, said, "Hey, your coffee", and tried to hand it to him. But, it was stuck to the roof, and the guy said, "Thank you, happy holidays, would you like a free five dollar gift card to Starbucks...."

I got mad and rode away, but if anybody wants five bucks at Starbucks, look for a car with a coffee on the roof.
thdave is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:10 AM
  #3  
nebben123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, that's actually kinda funny. Next thing you know, they'll be doing it with babies.
nebben123 is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:15 AM
  #4  
newbojeff
Commuter First
 
newbojeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny.

Can't remember if it was in San Francisco or Boston, but there was someone driving around a beat-up hearse with a leg sticking out of the back.
newbojeff is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:27 AM
  #5  
Critterpace
Have bike will travel.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 62

Bikes: Cannondale road and mtn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sonic (a fast food place) is doing a similar promotion here in the Kansas City area. One of the couriers that delivers to our office has a drink cup attached to his trunk. He has been stopped several times by police who wanted to let him know that he "forgot" his drink. Other drivers have followed him to deliveries to let him know. Man are they upset when they find out it is just a promotion. Often times, unfriendly gestures follow.

I believe marketers call this type of advertising "guerrilla marketing."
Critterpace is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:32 AM
  #6  
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 2,991

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what you're so angry about, I would've taken the gift card!
jeff-o is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 09:12 AM
  #7  
Flimflam
Raving looney
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,482

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome!
I read the same in the commute thread today - looks like it's a pretty clever marketing ploy. Good for you, free 'bucks!
Flimflam is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 09:24 AM
  #8  
same time
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff-o
I don't know what you're so angry about, I would've taken the gift card!
Yeah, you're right. I'm always grumpy in the morning, ironically, before my third cup of coffee. If I see him again tomorrow, I'll apologize for the name I called him.
same time is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 09:38 AM
  #9  
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 11,375

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
At least they're using it as a clever marketing ploy and handing out gift cards if you point it out.

The corner store up the street from my old apartment had a quarter glued to the floor in one of the aisles, and a CCTV cam at waist level hidden on a shelf. The feed ran to a monitor behind the counter so everyone in line could watch people try and pick/pry the thing up.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 10:05 AM
  #10  
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando
 
ax0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 2,400

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Critterpace
Sonic (a fast food place) is doing a similar promotion here in the Kansas City area. One of the couriers that delivers to our office has a drink cup attached to his trunk. He has been stopped several times by police who wanted to let him know that he "forgot" his drink. Other drivers have followed him to deliveries to let him know. Man are they upset when they find out it is just a promotion. Often times, unfriendly gestures follow.

I believe marketers call this type of advertising "guerrilla marketing."
Sonic delivers? what part of KC you in?
ax0n is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 12:54 PM
  #11  
Old_Fart
Senior Member
 
Old_Fart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In a cardboard box by Alki beach.
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
At least they're using it as a clever marketing ploy and handing out gift cards if you point it out.

The corner store up the street from my old apartment had a quarter glued to the floor in one of the aisles, and a CCTV cam at waist level hidden on a shelf. The feed ran to a monitor behind the counter so everyone in line could watch people try and pick/pry the thing up.
I worked at an amusement park for a few summers and this was a regular gag to fight boredom on the midway. Superglue and a few quarters provided hours of entertainment. People will go to amazing lengths to get twenty five cents.
Old_Fart is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 01:25 PM
  #12  
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB
 
pinkrobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cowtown, AB
Posts: 4,655

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Fart
I worked at an amusement park for a few summers and this was a regular gag to fight boredom on the midway. Superglue and a few quarters provided hours of entertainment. People will go to amazing lengths to get twenty five cents.
There's a lounge called Ming here in town that has epoxied various coins to the bathroom floor and in the urinals. Martinis might be pricey, but I'm not sticking my hand in there...
pinkrobe is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 03:56 PM
  #13  
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Upper Midwest USA
Posts: 2,319

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff-o
I don't know what you're so angry about, I would've taken the gift card!
Yes...$5 will buy like half a cup of coffee at Charbucks!
DogBoy is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 04:04 PM
  #14  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,706

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2879 Post(s)
Liked 2,876 Times in 1,323 Posts
Five bucks? Not enough. It'd cost you ten to get me to drink Starbucks.
caloso is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:19 PM
  #15  
Critterpace
Have bike will travel.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 62

Bikes: Cannondale road and mtn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n
Sonic delivers?
No. I just didn't make myself clear. The courier company that serves my office had a deal where it's drivers would allow Sonic to attach the cups.
Critterpace is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 08:36 PM
  #16  
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Secret mobile lair
Posts: 1,425

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should put a cup on the back of my Xtracycle!
__________________
Shameless plugs:
Work
Photography
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 10:13 PM
  #17  
newbojeff
Commuter First
 
newbojeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Fart
I worked at an amusement park for a few summers and this was a regular gag to fight boredom on the midway. Superglue and a few quarters provided hours of entertainment. People will go to amazing lengths to get twenty five cents.
Sounds like what they did at one of our local ski shops. They superglued a quarter to the base of a 25 cent candy machine. They watched kids try to pick up the quarter for over a year.

Doing that to kids is sick. Funny...but sick.
newbojeff is offline  
Old 12-06-06, 10:18 PM
  #18  
Critterpace
Have bike will travel.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 62

Bikes: Cannondale road and mtn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newbojeff
Sounds like what they did at one of our local ski shops. They superglued a quarter to the base of a 25 cent candy machine. They watched kids try to pick up the quarter for over a year.

Doing that to kids is sick. Funny...but sick.
There's a place in KC called Mike's that has placed coins on the bar under a glass top. It's fun to watch people who have had too much to drink try to pick up "their money." I'm sure I entertained a few people at one time or another.
Critterpace is offline  
Old 12-08-06, 01:04 PM
  #19  
slogo
this guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped into a country store once that had a quarter stuck to the counter. When the cashier gave you back your change, he would put it on top of the quarter so you'd think it was one of yours. It fooled me for a few seconds and gave all the old codgers that were sitting around a laugh. I should say ANOTHER laugh. Among other things, I was paying for a small plastic slot machine toy that I tried out while I was waiting in line. When I pulled the lever, it thoroughly soaked my face with water. They got me TWICE!

I keep the slot machine thing on my desk. It's amazing how many folks just have to pick it up and try it.
slogo is offline  
Old 12-09-06, 12:39 AM
  #20  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 7,397

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by same time
I saw a car with a coffee on the roof stopped at a red light...
I seen this once, except when I pointed it out to the driver he smacked himself in the head with his palm, got out of his car and grabbed the coffee cup and then thanked me. I'm not sure how long it was up there (the car was slowing to a stop when I first noticed it) but he must have been quite a smooth and steady driver!
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 02-06-07, 07:19 PM
  #21  
al-wagner
Happy old man
 
al-wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 621

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Five bucks? Not enough. It'd cost you ten to get me to drink Starbucks.
I cost me 1.25 to get my Thermos filled at Starbucks.
__________________
https://www.thegmbc.com/
https://www.gmaa.net/

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
al-wagner is offline  
Old 02-06-07, 07:31 PM
  #22  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,078

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 146 Posts
My daughter drove away with a drink on the roof. It spilled over the door locks and froze. When she got out to get gas the door was frozen and she was locked out. Then she broke the key.

Dad has lots of extra keys !
2manybikes is offline  
Old 02-06-07, 08:20 PM
  #23  
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness
 
deputyjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,190

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
My daughter drove away with a drink on the roof. It spilled over the door locks and froze. When she got out to get gas the door was frozen and she was locked out. Then she broke the key.

Dad has lots of extra keys !
She should have just called you to ride over and melt the coffee with your handlebar mounted HID ray-beams
deputyjones is offline  
Old 02-06-07, 08:51 PM
  #24  
SDRider
Cat None
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,508

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newbojeff
Funny.

Can't remember if it was in San Francisco or Boston, but there was someone driving around a beat-up hearse with a leg sticking out of the back.
Funny, there's a woman where I work who drives a Dodge Ram 4x4 with lift kit and big tires who has a leg hanging out from under the hood of her truck. I asked her if it scratches the paint on her truck...don't know why I did that actually...not like I really care.
SDRider is offline  
Old 02-07-07, 09:03 AM
  #25  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,078

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
She should have just called you to ride over and melt the coffee with your handlebar mounted HID ray-beams
2manybikes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.