Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Are Some Biking Headphones.

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What Are Some Biking Headphones.

Reply

Old 09-07-07, 08:15 PM
  #1  
I922sParkCir
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
I922sParkCir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vashon Island, Wa, US
Posts: 112

Bikes: Trek 520, Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What Are Some Biking Headphones.

I just can't use my Grado Labs SR-60's anymore because they slide off. So, what are good head phones to bike with? I'm a bit pickey and prefer good sound quality. With safety in mind, I would also prefer an open-air design so I can still hear surrounding noise.

Thank You,
- Jai
I922sParkCir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 10:03 PM
  #2  
Jarery
Senior Member
 
Jarery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 2,538
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never found any headphones that work well for cycling. I do have some winter earmuffs with built in speakers that are great for in the winter though.

http://www.180s.com/sub_category.asp...d=4&psku=70256

As for non winter riding, earbuds, or if you don't want anything in your ear, earbuds combined with slipstreamz

http://www.slipstreamz.com/
Jarery is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 10:07 PM
  #3  
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando
 
ax0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 2,400

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
None.

PAY.

ATTENTION.

TO.

THE.

ROAD.

FFS, please, pay attention. Bike paths are a little different story, but still. iPod Zombies for the lose.
ax0n is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 10:30 PM
  #4  
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trollol?
M_S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 10:55 PM
  #5  
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Posts: 1,480

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use these...

http://www.v-moda.com/
biffstephens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 11:05 PM
  #6  
paulwwalters
beatz down lo|seatz up hi
 
paulwwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 1,062

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say a basic pair of earbuds would be fine, since you'll only be using one of them.
paulwwalters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 11:21 PM
  #7  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
get some incanal headphones. The cheaper ones are sometimes normal ear buds with squishy bits attached on to them, but the good ones are truly designed for the purpose of insertion into your ear. Drowns out about 30 decibels of outside noise, meaning you can hear someone talk, or a car engine as long as you're not blasting it. Doesn't slide out easily. Used by pro and amature race drivers so they can hear the pit crew better, but still hear what is going on around them.

No point in open air I think, you'd barely be able to hear them with the wind buffeting.


iPod zombies suck, yes, but we'll give you a fair warning (so does the packaging) about use around machinery. So pay attention, put it at a reasonable volume and ride safe.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 11:38 PM
  #8  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,697

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
+1
I use sony in-ear(used to be called ex81's) headphones. Reduce wind noise but can still hear well...and they dont fall out or interfere with helmet straps.

DO NOT use isolation earphones that poke right in and work as ear plugs.
znomit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 12:09 AM
  #9  
biknbrian
Senior Member
 
biknbrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 352

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, It's just plain crazy to ride on the road with earphones. This is coming from a guy who commutes without a helmet. But hey, do what you want.
biknbrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 12:16 AM
  #10  
Hasselhof
Senior Member
 
Hasselhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 99

Bikes: Norco Nitro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ax0n View Post
None.

PAY.

ATTENTION.

TO.

THE.

ROAD.

FFS, please, pay attention. Bike paths are a little different story, but still. iPod Zombies for the lose.
You don't need to hear to have situational awareness. Riding and headphones can be done safely. To me, music makes exercise, commuting and life in general much more enjoyable, and as such I'll continue to enjoy it.

This thread may well be a troll, but responses like that are just as bad.
Hasselhof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 12:28 AM
  #11  
Tapeworm21
Senior Member
 
Tapeworm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 2,265

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noise canceling ear phones by Sony. Ever since I bought them, drivers quit yelling at me.... I think. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to ignore everyone! I bought some for $50 at Radioshack, no problems with them, and comfortable as hell! You can't hear cars coming up on you, but deaf people bike, right?
Tapeworm21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 03:28 AM
  #12  
Pepper Grinder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Portable speakers strapped to your handlebars.

I got the speakers; I still haven't figured out how to mount it effectively, but when I do, watch out!
Pepper Grinder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 07:36 AM
  #13  
freako
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ax0n View Post
None.

PAY.

ATTENTION.

TO.

THE.

ROAD.

FFS, please, pay attention. Bike paths are a little different story, but still. iPod Zombies for the lose.
AMEN!!!!!!

You cannot pay attention to the road in clear detail with headphones blasting your favorite rap or whatever you listen to. Even if you have the volumn way down you still can't hear details especially early signs of problems. A lot times cars will speed up just before you reach an intersection because they want to beat you to it and turn in front of you, if you can't hear that engine speed increase then your missing a clue that could save your life. That's just one example, and if you've been riding for any length of time I'm sure you could think of others that if your hearing was hindered you may have crashed and burned.

Situational awareness is important also as one poster mentioned, however to be as safe as possible you need reduntant senses and hearing is that. If situational awareness was the only thing you needed then the space shuttle wouldn't need 4 reduntant computers and a 5th as back up!!! (get the ideal? 5 computers 5 senses...hmmm). Sure a deaf person could ride a bike, but a deaf person as their other senses heightened to a degree ours are not; but you and I are not deaf so we need to use all of our senses to remain safe.

Last edited by freako; 09-08-07 at 07:42 AM.
freako is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 07:44 AM
  #14  
merckxy
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi taperworm, do your Sony headphones really cancel all the wind noise when you are cycling? What is the type?
merckxy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 07:46 AM
  #15  
I922sParkCir
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
I922sParkCir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vashon Island, Wa, US
Posts: 112

Bikes: Trek 520, Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your guys advice. I think I'm going to go with Sennheiser PMX70 Sport Line Stereo Neckband Headphones. In-ear headphones scare me because they block out to much noice. I'd rather not hear my music but hear the cars. I live in busy SoCal, to traffic is a huge concern.

What do you guys think?
-Jai
I922sParkCir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 08:40 AM
  #16  
freako
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I922sParkCir View Post
Thanks for your guys advice. I think I'm going to go with Sennheiser PMX70 Sport Line Stereo Neckband Headphones. In-ear headphones scare me because they block out to much noice. I'd rather not hear my music but hear the cars. I live in busy SoCal, to traffic is a huge concern.

What do you guys think?
-Jai
What?? you say you live in busy traffic area and in-ear headphones scare you yet your looking at those Sennheiser's? Where in the hell do you think those ear buds are going to go? THEIR GOING IN YOUR EARS! And if you have something in your ears and music being pumped into it then your blocking some of the sound you need to hear from traffic.

I give up, go get some headphones and blast away with out a care in world; I don't know you from Adam, so I don't care if you die or get maimed from not being able to hear well enough that could have prevented an accident; I won't shed a tear since we're not personally involved with each other.
freako is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 08:49 AM
  #17  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,313

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I922sParkCir View Post
Thanks for your guys advice. I think I'm going to go with Sennheiser PMX70 Sport Line Stereo Neckband Headphones. In-ear headphones scare me because they block out to much noice. I'd rather not hear my music but hear the cars. I live in busy SoCal, to traffic is a huge concern.

What do you guys think?
-Jai
I think that natural selection can likely take care of the issue, but what about others who, not guilty, will potentially die or will get physically and/or psychologically injured on the occasion.
2_i is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 08:55 AM
  #18  
evblazer
Thread Killer
 
evblazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
Posts: 1,845

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jarery View Post
As for non winter riding, earbuds, or if you don't want anything in your ear, earbuds combined with slipstreamz

http://www.slipstreamz.com/
I got a pair of these recently and they work well. I can listen with the volume pretty low because they actually cut down on wind noise alot. I can still hear and concentrate on vehicles. It isn't like I close my eyes and start singing to the music in a trance or something. It isn't any more distracting then a car stereo would be when you drive a car. I do have a nice pair of schure in the ear canal noise cancelling ear buds which I wouldnt' recommend. For me I'd get ear infections from using it because it would heat up my ear since it plugs it up plus it will make it so you can't hear anything until someone jams on the horn.

I've tried speakers on the bike and on the neck and the wind noise was horrible so over 10mph I couldn't hear at all and then when stopped it was blasting.
Maybe if you tried the spoiler from over at slipsteamz combined with speakers it would be ok.
evblazer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 09:43 AM
  #19  
I922sParkCir
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
I922sParkCir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vashon Island, Wa, US
Posts: 112

Bikes: Trek 520, Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by freako View Post
What?? you say you live in busy traffic area and in-ear headphones scare you yet your looking at those Sennheiser's? Where in the hell do you think those ear buds are going to go? THEIR GOING IN YOUR EARS! And if you have something in your ears and music being pumped into it then your blocking some of the sound you need to hear from traffic.
Ok, wow. First of all, those are not in-ear headphone those are banded earbuds. When I said in-ear headphones I meant ones that go inside the ear cannal. These don't entirely block out the noise of traffic.

Originally Posted by freako View Post
I don't care if you die or get maimed...
Stop being a troll. I joined this community because I liked how much people care, which is clearly not the case for you. Here's a lesson about forum etiquette, you don't need to tell people that you don't care if they die to get your point accross, facts and experiance work much better.

Than you,
-Jai
I922sParkCir is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 09:52 AM
  #20  
jmb
Member
 
jmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FingerLakes NYS
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sony MDR-ED21LP
About $20
I have small ears. Almost never fall out good sound.
Ignore the Trolls
jmb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 09:54 AM
  #21  
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!
 
chephy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 4,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I922sParkCir
Stop being a troll. I joined this community because I liked how much people care, which is clearly not the case for you. Here's a lesson about forum etiquette, you don't need to tell people that you don't care if they die to get your point accross, facts and experiance work much better.
+1. The fearmongering safety nannies who have no evidence to support their claim always resort to the intimidation techniques. "Okay, I give up, walk and chew gum at the same time and suffocate to death, what do I care?" Or "Ok, don't accept Jesus as your saviour and rot in hell, you filthy *******."

Last edited by chephy; 09-08-07 at 10:57 AM.
chephy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 10:42 AM
  #22  
Tapeworm21
Senior Member
 
Tapeworm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 2,265

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by merckxy View Post
Hi taperworm, do your Sony headphones really cancel all the wind noise when you are cycling? What is the type?
Yikes, I'm not sure what model they are. But you can't hear ANYTHING except for the music. And the sound is pretty damn good too. Again, they're made by Sony and they costed around $50... the more you pay the happier you'll be. Kinda the way it works.
Tapeworm21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 11:33 AM
  #23  
freako
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I922sParkCir View Post
Ok, wow. First of all, those are not in-ear headphone those are banded earbuds. When I said in-ear headphones I meant ones that go inside the ear cannal. These don't entirely block out the noise of traffic.
-Jai
It doesn't matter if their ear buds or phones, their still going into or over the ear thus eliminating noise just by that act alone without the introduction of music, add music to the mix and now your hearing is compromised.

Like I said before do whatever you want because you will anyway, and we all have self will to do whatever we want.
freako is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 11:53 AM
  #24  
gosmsgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah!!!

I am a member of the safety police too.

I once saw a deaf kid riding his bike and I PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE!!!!!!! It was harsh but it may have saved his life.

If someone rides VC then they do not need to hear. I listen to talk radio so its not like I am just blarring it but I have found that if anything it cuts wind noise and I can hear cars better.

The one persons example is the perfect reason why they should ride VC. A VC rider would have already taken the lane when approaching an intersection as to eliminate the possibility of a driver passing and left hooking them. Riding to the right in an intersection is bad form with or without headphones.

But some are right. If you ride like a NYC messenger then you probably should not wear headphones.

Deer do not live long around roads so I try not to act like one.
gosmsgo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 12:46 PM
  #25  
synergy
newbie clyde
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 49

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Frontier 18 spd MTB with 1.7" road tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instead of headphones or earphones in your ears, check this device out:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=340853
synergy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service