Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Playing good samaritan today

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Playing good samaritan today

Old 04-19-14, 09:12 PM
  #1  
FedericoMena
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FedericoMena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
Posts: 197

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Playing good samaritan today

I was walking to the bike parking after doing some errands and I hear RRRR RRRR RRRR. A girl was riding with the rest of her family, and her fender was rubbing badly on the wheel. Fixed it. Then, the brother was carrying his bike as he had a flat, and they were looking for a bike shop (none really close to that area). I patched the tube for him, taught him how to do it, and begged him for the love of all that is holy to clean that damn bike and oil the chain. It was dry dry dry!

Then I picked up my own bike at the parking, and went on my way. A beautiful afternoon, but then on the bike lane there were people standing up, bikes on the ground, and a VERY scared girl crying her eyes out. Turns out that she crashed onto another biker who braked hard in front of her without warning. She cut her middle finger pretty badly, close to the bone, and would need stitches. So I took out my emergency kit, disinfected the wound, bandaged it, and sent her off to the hospital.

So I'm feeling better about the added weight of carrying tools and a first-aid kit all the time
FedericoMena is offline  
Old 04-19-14, 09:13 PM
  #2  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bicycling Avenger!!!!
You have made the world a better place, too
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 04-19-14, 09:35 PM
  #3  
Archery_Queen
It's Queen to you!
 
Archery_Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 96

Bikes: Roadmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FedericoMena View Post
I was walking to the bike parking after doing some errands and I hear RRRR RRRR RRRR. A girl was riding with the rest of her family, and her fender was rubbing badly on the wheel. Fixed it. Then, the brother was carrying his bike as he had a flat, and they were looking for a bike shop (none really close to that area). I patched the tube for him, taught him how to do it, and begged him for the love of all that is holy to clean that damn bike and oil the chain. It was dry dry dry!

Then I picked up my own bike at the parking, and went on my way. A beautiful afternoon, but then on the bike lane there were people standing up, bikes on the ground, and a VERY scared girl crying her eyes out. Turns out that she crashed onto another biker who braked hard in front of her without warning. She cut her middle finger pretty badly, close to the bone, and would need stitches. So I took out my emergency kit, disinfected the wound, bandaged it, and sent her off to the hospital.

So I'm feeling better about the added weight of carrying tools and a first-aid kit all the time
wow!!! You really did save the day!! Good for you!! Behind all great knowledge there is a sensei(teacher) and that was you!
Archery_Queen is offline  
Old 04-19-14, 09:53 PM
  #4  
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 2,275

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


Good work!!

I think a first aid kit is due for myself...

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Old 04-19-14, 09:58 PM
  #5  
MEversbergII
Senior Member
 
MEversbergII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lexington Park, Maryland
Posts: 1,262

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Good deeds. Reminds me that I too need to start bringing a first aid kit.

M.
MEversbergII is offline  
Old 04-19-14, 11:57 PM
  #6  
Rudz
Senior Member
 
Rudz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fontana, California USA
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only time I had to use my first attempt kit is on myself. I carry one just in case.
Rudz is offline  
Old 04-22-14, 07:02 PM
  #7  
FedericoMena
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FedericoMena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
Posts: 197

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started carrying a first-aid kit when my daughter got to walking/running age It has come in handy a couple of times.

It's basically a small zippered bag with narrow and wide bandages, micropore tape, spray-on disinfectant, some band-aids, and a few aspirin. Haven't had the need for anything fancier than that. That little bag always goes in my backpack, wherever I go.
FedericoMena is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 07:43 AM
  #8  
ill.clyde
Senior Member
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brodhead, WI - south of Madison
Posts: 2,928

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kudos to you for paying it forward! very cool
ill.clyde is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 07:49 AM
  #9  
RaleighSport 
Hogosha Sekai
 
RaleighSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: STS
Posts: 6,663

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Firstly great job OP, as the others I am in awe over here.
Originally Posted by FedericoMena View Post
I started carrying a first-aid kit when my daughter got to walking/running age It has come in handy a couple of times.

It's basically a small zippered bag with narrow and wide bandages, micropore tape, spray-on disinfectant, some band-aids, and a few aspirin. Haven't had the need for anything fancier than that. That little bag always goes in my backpack, wherever I go.
Secondly.. thanks for that list guy that sounds small enough I could keep in a pocket easily even when not on the bike.
__________________
Progress not perfection.
RaleighSport is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 08:09 AM
  #10  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,170

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 88 Posts
First aid kits were discussed pretty extensively a while ago, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-aid-kits.html
no motor? is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 08:13 AM
  #11  
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job. It's good to have folks like you out and about!
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 10:53 AM
  #12  
FedericoMena
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FedericoMena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
Posts: 197

Bikes: Viruela, Piccola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
First aid kits were discussed pretty extensively a while ago, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-aid-kits.html
That's a great thread; thanks!
FedericoMena is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 12:37 PM
  #13  
Giant Doofus 
Senior Member
 
Giant Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for doing all of that. This thread really made me smile.
Giant Doofus is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 12:43 PM
  #14  
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Posts: 3,605

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell me that you left a silver bullet!!!
longbeachgary is offline  
Old 04-23-14, 01:23 PM
  #15  
Telly
What, me worry?
 
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,226

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on being a good Samaritan, FedericoMena!
It's nice to know that the real world isn't as dark and cold as the one portrayed on the evening news and that there are descent people going around!


On a funnier note, these stories of helpful cyclists always reminds me of the following clip from Monty Python. Enjoy!

Telly is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Nikon Fan
General Cycling Discussion
3
05-17-15 11:05 AM
Bikeforumuser0011
Commuting
5
05-18-13 08:03 AM
blknyt
Southern California
18
07-30-12 10:03 AM
Velo Dog
Road Cycling
32
05-08-12 10:25 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.