Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Please Recommend Tires?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Please Recommend Tires?

Old 10-11-14, 12:38 AM
  #1  
jyl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,643

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Liked 62 Times in 34 Posts
Please Recommend Tires?

It feels like time for new tires. This is my commute bike with 700C 25 mm tires. My wish list is: flat resistant, not too much rolling resistance, not too expensive, good in the wet, 23-25 mm, reflective sidewalls, not ridiculously hard to mount. Yes, I realize I may not get all of those wishes. What tires would you recommend?

I've used Paselas up to now. Was thinking about Gatorbacks but they are not reflective.
jyl is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:17 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Corben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 602

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another can of worms I bet.
Corben is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 01:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,033

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marathon Supremes

(I actually prefer my original Marathons, but the Supremes are better on wet pavement.)

Last edited by Jaywalk3r; 10-11-14 at 05:28 PM.
Jaywalk3r is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 07:40 AM
  #4  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,788

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,728 Times in 1,584 Posts
A friend of mine tried Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and was disgusted when they arrive and he felt the weight in his hands. Then he tried them and was super-impressed at how they felt better than tires that weigh half as much. I don't know how Schwalbe does it.

You should also consider some Continental tires such as the Super Sport. I believe that model has a reflective strip available. These companies have made some breakthroughs where puncture protection has a "cost" to performance so low that they actually perform better than tires with no puncture protection designed in.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 08:03 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaywalk3r
Marathon Supremes
Smallest is 28. But other than that requirement, I would recommend them as well. Love them.
Sullalto is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 09:02 AM
  #6  
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,944

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 353 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A friend of mine tried Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and was disgusted when they arrive and he felt the weight in his hands. Then he tried them and was super-impressed at how they felt better than tires that weigh half as much. I don't know how Schwalbe does it.

You should also consider some Continental tires such as the Super Sport. I believe that model has a reflective strip available. These companies have made some breakthroughs where puncture protection has a "cost" to performance so low that they actually perform better than tires with no puncture protection designed in.
I'm the friend...and they're very impressive. For disclosure - I have them at 35c on a tandem, so I'm not sure how much inference I can make for your use.

For 25c, I'd probably use Conti GP 4 seasons. I don't think they're reflective, but neither me nor my wife have flatted them (knock knock) and they have tremendous feel and grip to them. I am a fanatic about Conti GP 4000 and GP 4 seasons - they're just tremendous tires that feel great and resist flats well.

If you ever want an amazing feeling - tubular GP-4000s. Just...WOW.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 10-11-14, 04:37 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
scoatw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: central ohio
Posts: 1,536

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sometimes its cheaper to spend the money on something of higher quality that will last a lot longer. And unless you enjoy fixing flats through out the year, then you'd be better off taking the advice of the above posters. I've recently converted to Schwalbe Marathons from the Specialized Armadillos. The Armadillos are a good tire also as far as flat protection. I was getting over 5k on them and would get only one flat. Other people say they are too heavy, but I don't notice stuff like that. But I wanted to compare the Marathons to those.
scoatw is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 08:08 PM
  #8  
jyl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,643

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Liked 62 Times in 34 Posts
Well, the decision was made for me. On the way home, I stopped by a bike shop, pumped up my slightly soft front tire, then as I was browsing the store there was a BANG and that tire was flat. The wire bead had separated from the casing, the casing had ripped for 1/2", and there was ruptured tube sticking out. So I had to buy a new tire and Conti Gatorbacks were all they had, for a flat resistant tire in 25 mm. I replaced just the front, because I want to give my main LBS the business for the rear, and as a result I'm riding with mismatched tires, the horror.

I guess we'll see how the Gatorbacks do. They aren't reflective, but oh well.
By the way, why the heck does Park even make those self sticking tube patches? I used one of those to repair the tube, and five minutes later the tire was soft. Yup, self sticking patch didn't hold. It was a newish, dry, clean tube and I roughed it up with the bit of sandpaper. I had to pull the new tire off and patch the tube again with the old fashioned vulcanizing fluid and rubber patches. This is the third time I've tried the Park patches and the third time they have failed. I should throw the remaining couple away so I'm not tempted to use them.
jyl is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 08:36 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 4,267

Bikes: NA

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
Well, the decision was made for me. On the way home, I stopped by a bike shop, pumped up my slightly soft front tire, then as I was browsing the store there was a BANG and that tire was flat. The wire bead had separated from the casing, the casing had ripped for 1/2", and there was ruptured tube sticking out. So I had to buy a new tire and Conti Gatorbacks were all they had, for a flat resistant tire in 25 mm. I replaced just the front, because I want to give my main LBS the business for the rear, and as a result I'm riding with mismatched tires, the horror.

I guess we'll see how the Gatorbacks do. They aren't reflective, but oh well.
By the way, why the heck does Park even make those self sticking tube patches? I used one of those to repair the tube, and five minutes later the tire was soft. Yup, self sticking patch didn't hold. It was a newish, dry, clean tube and I roughed it up with the bit of sandpaper. I had to pull the new tire off and patch the tube again with the old fashioned vulcanizing fluid and rubber patches. This is the third time I've tried the Park patches and the third time they have failed. I should throw the remaining couple away so I'm not tempted to use them.
kevlar bead gatorskins are ok but most conti clinchers other than the 4000s/4seasons feel dead to me. i prefer rubino pros, michelin pros and tricomps/grandfondo.
spare_wheel is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 09:00 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
gregjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 2,828

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got 23 Gatorskin on the front, it came new with the wheelset. I bought a 25 GP4000II(Reflex) for the rear, I wanted 25's. It really works out great with the pressure calculator for a 15% ft/rr difference---set them both the same. They are better tires than I am a rider. I really like 'em. They haven't been off since new, I just hope they go on easier after having been mounted and ridden. Swap your new front to the rear this weekend and your mismatch shouldn't be a problem.

I think you'll be like yours just fine.

I've never tried the self-sticking patches. Most of the feedback is similar to yours. I just carry a small Rema Tip Top kit. You probably did well to toss the self-stickers.
gregjones is offline  
Old 10-16-14, 10:07 PM
  #11  
jyl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 7,643

Bikes: 61 Bianchi Specialissima 71 Peugeot G50 7? P'geot PX10 74 Raleigh GranSport 75 P'geot UO8 78? Raleigh Team Pro 82 P'geot PSV 86 P'geot PX 91 Bridgestone MB0 92 B'stone XO1 97 Rans VRex 92 Cannondale R1000 94 B'stone MB5 97 Vitus 997

Liked 62 Times in 34 Posts
Did I say Gatorback? I think I meant Gatorskin.

On my weekend bikes I ride tubulars. So I'm spoiled. But whatever, this bike is for getting to work and home and not flatting, much.
jyl is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 02:42 PM
  #12  
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,280

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Kenda Kwik? Ridden over glass numerous times with mine, not so much as a scratch. Reflective sidewalls to boot!

Kwick Trax

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 02:45 PM
  #13  
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,280

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Just noticed that one was not small enough, so here is a model that is 700x25

Kwick Tendril

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 05:30 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 684

Bikes: 50+/-

Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Panaracer T-Serv. Great combination of grip, flat resistance and decent performance. Not sure if they come in reflective sidewalls though.
trailmix is offline  
Old 10-17-14, 10:09 PM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 4,267

Bikes: NA

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
Did I say Gatorback? I think I meant Gatorskin.
On my weekend bikes I ride tubulars. So I'm spoiled. But whatever, this bike is for getting to work and home and not flatting, much.
heh...sealant makes my tubulars pretty darn flat resistant but they are too expensive for every day mileage.
spare_wheel is offline  
Old 10-19-14, 09:02 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
will be was's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 115
Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts
Vittoria Randonner Cross 700x28c
will be was is offline  
Old 10-19-14, 06:48 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast
Posts: 756

Bikes: cyclotank

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
For 25c, I'd probably use Conti GP 4 seasons. I don't think they're reflective, but neither me nor my wife have flatted them (knock knock) and they have tremendous feel and grip to them. I am a fanatic about Conti GP 4000 and GP 4 seasons - they're just tremendous tires that feel great and resist flats well.
And long-wearing too - I get about 3K out of the pair

SF
sci_femme is offline  
Old 10-19-14, 09:44 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
jgadamski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 220

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience as a commuter is reliability trumps everything else. You aren't gonna break any speed records getting to work. Nor should you try. Fixating about tire weight is missing the point: getting there without having to wrench on anything. This aint a race, its going to work. or school. or back home.
Relax
jgadamski is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 04:33 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast
Posts: 756

Bikes: cyclotank

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgadamski
My experience as a commuter is reliability trumps everything else. You aren't gonna break any speed records getting to work. Nor should you try. Fixating about tire weight is missing the point: getting there without having to wrench on anything. This aint a race, its going to work. or school. or back home.
Relax
Slight correction - at 30 mi RT ride quality comes close second, if not a priority. Punctures happen more often or less often, but a tire with bad feel sucks every time.
sci_femme is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 06:01 AM
  #20  
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,944

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 353 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jgadamski
My experience as a commuter is reliability trumps everything else. You aren't gonna break any speed records getting to work. Nor should you try. Fixating about tire weight is missing the point: getting there without having to wrench on anything. This aint a race, its going to work. or school. or back home.
Relax
Let me know how these work out for you.

Airless Bicycle Tires
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 07:34 AM
  #21  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,788

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,728 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Let me know how these work out for you.

Airless Bicycle Tires
Those are horrible. There's only so far you want to take things. There are always compromises.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 07:42 AM
  #22  
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,944

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 353 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Those are horrible. There's only so far you want to take things. There are always compromises.
That was the point.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 11:00 AM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,595

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,361 Times in 867 Posts
Schwalbe offers reflex side walls, But .. you have to scrub off your tires regularly

as the road dirt and aluminum coming off the rim dirties it to not be reflective much, before long.

being already worried about rim wear, the Wheel/Bike cleaning routine will benefit you there too.




Airless /captive air foam plastic tires may be suitable to the Trainer wheel since their higher rolling resistance will = a harder workout,
if that is why you ride the trainer.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-20-14 at 11:05 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 05:10 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
jgadamski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 220

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, with a slightly shorter commute.. about 20 RT, i run Armadillos knowing full well they are heavy, not the most comfortable tires out there. I work a little harder which I probably need to do. I don't worry about every piece of glass, metal shard or thorn on my very industrial commute. I don't suggest airless tires..that is pretty extreme. But most kevlar belted tires offer a lot of protection for a relatively small trade off. Its your call. I don't much like repairing flats, especially on the side of a highway. You are welcome to.
jgadamski is offline  
Old 10-20-14, 06:07 PM
  #25  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,788

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,728 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That was the point.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.