Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Anti-vaxxers

Old 12-10-20, 12:51 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,208 Times in 1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
I have quite a few allergies, all over the map, and I'd be very disappointed if my low point were to be taken as a standard for everyone else's safety. That's just not a reasonable position to take. I have to think that we know who we are, as do our doctors, and are capable of figuring this out without ruining everyone else's life.
Nevertheless, I am willing to be first in line for a vaccine, regardless of my allergies, unless someone shows with high probability that my particular allergy package is going to lead to my death from the vaccine.

The people we have to be careful of are the ones who believe that they are the exception, the "Special" ones whose politics dictate their medical needs and vulnerabilities.
The way I look at it is if you can't have a vaccine, that's all the more reason for me to get it so I can't give the disease to you. We're in an era where the idea of social responsibility seems laughable to a lot of people, but getting a vaccine doesn't seem like a major sacrifice on my part, especially when it also has the effect of making me safer.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-10-20, 12:59 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2707 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
I have quite a few allergies, all over the map, and I'd be very disappointed if my low point were to be taken as a standard for everyone else's safety. That's just not a reasonable position to take. I have to think that we know who we are, as do our doctors, and are capable of figuring this out without ruining everyone else's life.
Nevertheless, I am willing to be first in line for a vaccine, regardless of my allergies, unless someone shows with high probability that my particular allergy package is going to lead to my death from the vaccine.

The people we have to be careful of are the ones who believe that they are the exception, the "Special" ones whose politics dictate their medical needs and vulnerabilities.
There was an article in the NY Times yesterday about allergy reactions. The gist of it was that a few reactions are going to happen but if there is the proper precautions taken, the consequences of the reactions can be minimized; that the (edit: after a trip to the Mayp Clinic website) EpiPen dosages for severe reactions should be present and used promptly. So have yours on you or inquire beforehand as to whether that vaccine station has them.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-10-20 at 01:03 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-10-20, 01:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13376 Post(s)
Liked 4,667 Times in 2,618 Posts
It sounds like the expected reaction to the vaccine is very similar to a mild migraine. I've had one migraine headache in my life and it was something I never want to go through again. On the other hand, covid is a lot more terrible from all accounts. Maybe I'll get lucky and covid won't come to me, but I'm not going to count on it any more than I'm going to not wear my seatbelt and count on every driver I'm near being competent and sober.
Old 12-10-20, 02:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13376 Post(s)
Liked 4,667 Times in 2,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas View Post
if i was saying anything it would the companies making these " vaccines " have no liability and are interwoven in even bigger companies that will cover for their mistakes , like cigarettes back the days , like oxy not to long ago , these are i think called oligarchies , and will face no punishment for their mistakes , unlike the common man , who will be pushed for the tiniest thing , its a terrible system relying on mega corps and if we dont have an alternative way we will be enslaved to their multi-dimensional control matrix ,
If one of these vaccines is poison what do you think would happen to the company that made it? Do you think people and medical institutions would continue to buy their products at least when competing versions are available? Do you think it would be good for their brand?

More importantly, do you think any of these vaccines (or " vaccines " if you prefer) are poison? I mean I agree with you that the pharmaceutical industry isn't a bunch of angels, but that's besides the point. I can say a whole bunch of stuff that isn't related to the safety or effectiveness of this vaccine but it doesn't change anything about how well these shots work. You've got to keep your eye on the ball.