Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have a Juiced HyperScrambler 2?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Anyone here have a Juiced HyperScrambler 2?

Old 10-23-23, 12:33 PM
  #1  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Question Anyone here have a Juiced HyperScrambler 2?

I just ordered one; should ship next month. They're on closeout sale for $2500* including two battery packs. (instead of $3k with one and the 2nd one being $500, as they were a year ago) The "closeout" could be BS, but it felt like a good deal anyway.
* plus tax, but includes free shipping

Here's the high (+) and low (-) points:

+ 100 miles of range under ideal conditions. 40-50 at full throttle in Race mode. (33 mph) I figure I'll get 70-ish on both batts.
+ Full lighting, incl. turn signals
+ Full suspension
+ Street tread, puncture-resistant tires
+ Cast wheels
- 120 lbs.
- Got to be careful, legally speaking. An overzealous cop could ding me even if I have it restricted to Class 2 mode, since it's capable of motorcycle speeds.
- Not a great seat for longer rides
- Rack and fenders aren't included; I'm hoping for some kind of promotional offer from Juiced soon.
- Spendy. Battery replacements are going to be especially painful, when the time comes. One has to strongly consider a gas-powered scooter before buying one of these. They will go 100 miles on a tank at full throttle while getting at least 100 mpg, however, they require registration & insurance and can never be taken on multi-use paths.

Here are a couple of written reviews, with embedded videos that seem pretty down-to-earth:
https://electrek.co/2020/12/09/juice...bler-2-review/
https://www.theverge.com/22537406/ju...ed-price-specs
Smaug1 is offline  
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 10-23-23, 02:18 PM
  #2  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,105

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Liked 773 Times in 473 Posts
I had a Juiced Scorpion a few years back. It was a rock solid ebike.
Me weighing 175 lb. felt the suspension was a bit harsh, not so comfortable for long hours in the seat.
Since the seat height is not adjustable, pedaling on the Scrambler is not ideal for long distance neither.
Even after the seat raiser from Juiced, the height is still a bit low for me at 5' 10", 34" inseam.
For me the weight of the scramble makes it very stable at speed, but still a bit much more than I need it to be.
I rather have a lighter ebike,
Cast wheel are nice, fat tires can run at lower pressure to provide better comfort.


cat0020 is offline  
Likes For cat0020:
Old 10-23-23, 02:23 PM
  #3  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Thanks for the comments, cat0020.

That seems to be a Scorpion, not Hyper Scrambler 2. What I've read is that the Scorpion has the more comfortable seat for motor-only riding, but is wide for pedaling comfortably. The Hyper Scrambler 2 is taller to make room for the diamond frame with room for two batteries, which also makes it taller, for better leg extension.

Now, they make a "Hyper" version of the Scorpion that has the cast wheels.

This summer and fall, I slowed down on eBiking, mostly just using it to commute and do grocery runs, and have gotten a lot more serious about cycling. I'm riding dozens and dozens of miles per week now on my road bike. (I went 50 miles yesterday in hill country and 37 miles the day before) However, the desire for an eMoped hasn't left me.
Smaug1 is offline  
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 10-24-23, 10:01 AM
  #4  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 491

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Liked 382 Times in 169 Posts
I always wanted a Scorpion since they first came out. Finally, this summer I had one in my stable. Wasn't really impressed, never came close to 30 mph because it is extremely heavy. Anyhow, that's irrelevant to the post.

There are quite a few Scramblers and Hyperscramblers on FB marketplace after summer, they sell for half original price. I'd rather go that route than pay $2500 plus tax. I also see 3000w 72v bombers sell for under $2500. Almost bought one myself for $2k.
XxHaimBondxX is offline  
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-24-23, 01:17 PM
  #5  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Hmm, I wish I had thought to check FB MP first. I kind of assumed there would only be junkers available.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-2ca167634e63

Would've saved $1k, even with driving clear across the state to get it. I don't know how I'd get it in the car, though. I'd have to rent a truck while I was at it.
Smaug1 is offline  
Old 10-24-23, 04:06 PM
  #6  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 491

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Liked 382 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
Hmm, I wish I had thought to check FB MP first. I kind of assumed there would only be junkers available.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-2ca167634e63

Would've saved $1k, even with driving clear across the state to get it. I don't know how I'd get it in the car, though. I'd have to rent a truck while I was at it.
mine fit in a Kia Soul. It wasn't easy, since Scorpion is awfully heavy, all I had to fold handlebars, which was cake. Would've been much easier with Scrambler, plus you can remove the front wheel.

On second thought, hyperscrambler is also extremely heavy at 120 pounds. However, you can remove both batteries. If it was me I'd cancel the order and negotiate a bit with the FB dude.

Last edited by XxHaimBondxX; 10-25-23 at 06:14 AM.
XxHaimBondxX is offline  
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 11-14-23, 03:11 PM
  #7  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
mine fit in a Kia Soul. It wasn't easy, since Scorpion is awfully heavy, all I had to fold handlebars, which was cake. Would've been much easier with Scrambler, plus you can remove the front wheel.

On second thought, hyperscrambler is also extremely heavy at 120 pounds. However, you can remove both batteries. If it was me I'd cancel the order and negotiate a bit with the FB dude.
I don't think I could get it in my WRX and I don't think I could lift it into my wife's Crosstrek, either. (it may have a bit more room in back than your Soul, but it's higher) Batts are 12 lbs. each, I think, that will help, but the rear end is still going to be HEAVY.

I just checked again and it appears the one across the state is sold now as well.
Smaug1 is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 03:12 PM
  #8  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
I had a Juiced Scorpion a few years back. It was a rock solid ebike.
Me weighing 175 lb. felt the suspension was a bit harsh, not so comfortable for long hours in the seat.
Since the seat height is not adjustable, pedaling on the Scrambler is not ideal for long distance neither.
Even after the seat raiser from Juiced, the height is still a bit low for me at 5' 10", 34" inseam.
For me the weight of the scramble makes it very stable at speed, but still a bit much more than I need it to be.
I rather have a lighter ebike,
Cast wheel are nice, fat tires can run at lower pressure to provide better comfort.


cat, did yours have the dreaded Innova tires? How did you find them? I'm seeing several complaints of people wiping out on them, as they just suddenly slip at reasonable lean angles. No matter what tire they replace them with, the owners seem happier.

I'm wondering if they are just hard when cold, or ...?
Smaug1 is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 03:22 PM
  #9  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 491

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Liked 382 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I don't think I could get it in my WRX and I don't think I could lift it into my wife's Crosstrek, either. (it may have a bit more room in back than your Soul, but it's higher) Batts are 12 lbs. each, I think, that will help, but the rear end is still going to be HEAVY.

I just checked again and it appears the one across the state is sold now as well.
did you get yours yet? Not sure what your plans are with it, but I hear riding in Wisconsin can be brutal next 7-9 months 😂
XxHaimBondxX is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 06:46 PM
  #10  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,105

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Liked 773 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
cat, did yours have the dreaded Innova tires? How did you find them? I'm seeing several complaints of people wiping out on them, as they just suddenly slip at reasonable lean angles. No matter what tire they replace them with, the owners seem happier.

I'm wondering if they are just hard when cold, or ...?
Tires came with the bike.
Tire performance is highly dependent on tire pressure, rider weight & conditions.
It's hard to say how a tire would perform from one rider to another.
The cold temperature certainly affect the tire performance, on motorcycles I tend to ride conservatively for a few miles before pushing the limits.
I would imagine the same would apply to heavier ebike with heavier rider.
cat0020 is offline  
Old 11-14-23, 09:19 PM
  #11  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Tires came with the bike.
Tire performance is highly dependent on tire pressure, rider weight & conditions.
It's hard to say how a tire would perform from one rider to another.
The cold temperature certainly affect the tire performance, on motorcycles I tend to ride conservatively for a few miles before pushing the limits.
I would imagine the same would apply to heavier ebike with heavier rider.
That doesnt really help at all. Im obviously looking for anecdotal experience, not the official company position.
Smaug1 is offline  
Old 11-15-23, 07:19 AM
  #12  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,105

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Liked 773 Times in 473 Posts
My anecdotal experience may not apply to you, therefore I keep my reply in general.
Few psi pressure in tire makes big difference, too. 20x4" tires don't need much tire pressure to become slick & slippery.
I find Maxxis Hookworm type tires to be very nice for pavement; dense, fine knobs that offer low rolling resistance and better grip than slick tires with grooves.
I notice a trend of fat tire (20" x 4") ebikes using motorcycle tires, I think that robs top speed & battery range, not something I'm going to try.
cat0020 is offline  
Likes For cat0020:
Old 11-15-23, 11:25 AM
  #13  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
My anecdotal experience may not apply to you, therefore I keep my reply in general.
Few psi pressure in tire makes big difference, too. 20x4" tires don't need much tire pressure to become slick & slippery.
I find Maxxis Hookworm type tires to be very nice for pavement; dense, fine knobs that offer low rolling resistance and better grip than slick tires with grooves.
I notice a trend of fat tire (20" x 4") ebikes using motorcycle tires, I think that robs top speed & battery range, not something I'm going to try.
Thanks. I'm 5'8, 182 lbs, in a SE Wisconsin climate. I'm thinking the stock tires will be death traps in winter here, even with them deflated a bit.

Based on the anecdotal comments of those Innova tires that come on the HyperScrambler 2, I ordered a set of Mongoose (Chao Yang) knobbies from Amazon. I think they will stick fine, until we get ice and hard-packed snow. But they are not aerodynamic at all. I'm thinking maybe the people who are having them slip have them at the full 20 psi, cold tires on a cold day. Makes for a small contact patch, and if the tire is hard when cold, it's a bad formula. I've seen recommendations as low as 6 psi. That seems VERY low; low enough that it will really drop the range down. Better off with 15 psi in knobbies, if it comes to that.

I'm looking into quality road tread options for the spring, as I don't do much if any off-roading on this 120 lb. beast. I will look for the Maxxis ones you recommended.
Smaug1 is offline  
Old 11-22-23, 04:41 PM
  #14  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
I got the bike a couple days ago. First impressions:
  • Packaging was great; custom fit closed cell foam
  • Seat lives down to its reputation. It's a bit skinny (probably to facilitate pedaling) and a bit too firm. I ordered an aftermarket one from ebay, which I expect to be more comfortable for throttle mode, but less comfortable for pedal mode.
  • Battery range: I'll probably get 30 miles to a charge, as I'm going to be going 30 mph all the time. It's hard to regulate it down to go 25 or 28, as the throttle is quite touchy in RACE mode. Cruise control is disabled in RACE mode too, which is bogus. Unlike my Aventon Level.2, pedaling for more than a block or so is not really an attractive option on this bike. I knew that going in, which is why I sprung for the dual battery bike. This going to be the joyriding and quick shopping trip bike.
  • All the other modes are limited to 20 mph, and only change the throttle curves, they're not really adjustable, either. This is my biggest beef with the bike so far, as it is not fixable by me.
  • I got the rack and fenders; they were expensive but worth it I think
  • Headlight is off a bit to the right with no obvious way to aim it. I watched one YouTube video and someone had broken something trying to bend the brackets, so I'm going to ask Juiced about it. I don't feel like I should have to add lighting because the stock lighting is bad...
  • Pedals are good
  • Tires are good, but some places recommend inflation to 35 psi, which is WAY high. No wonder people are crashing on them. It feels good at 16-20.
  • I found a basket to zip tie to the rack at Lowe's for $12. Good size and all. Brand name is allen + roth, Item 3838881, Model 40170005, 12.5 x 10.5 x 8 in. Home Storage section.
  • The switches are kind of cheap; not motorcycle grade at all. They're too far from the left grip. This can be fixed by swapping positions with the mirror clamp.
  • The mirrors do show about 50% arm when adjusted to see behind oneself, but they're still usable.
  • In my medium sized city 30 mph is kind of an in-between speed: There are plenty of 25 and 30 mph roads, but people go 35-40 on the 30 mph roads. On 35 mph roads, people are going 40-45, so there's no hope of keeping up. I remember feeling the same way when I had the 49cc gas scooter. If I "upgrade" again, it won't be to a faster eBike, but either a smaller eMoto or a 125-160cc glass gas scooter.
  • Passenger foot rests just went out of stock again. I had them in my cart for a couple days, Juiced was kind enough to let me know that I "forgot" to check out and offered me free shipping, but when I went back, they were sold out again. That's annoying. I was hesitating because I felt like their $50 asking price is a proper gouge, and I've already been gouged for the rack and fenders.
That may sound like a lot of cons, but I really do like riding this thing.
Smaug1 is offline  
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 01-18-24, 01:07 PM
  #15  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2024 Hyper Scrambler 2 . Just git it. Very powwerful with lots of torque. Can "cath the pedal in every gear". great economy when pedaling 26 miles in Economy power Mode (used 1 bar on screen). Loving it. Rear of seat the best for power pedaling, twice as much speed and power through the torque sensor.
HyperJ is offline  
Likes For HyperJ:
Old 01-18-24, 03:09 PM
  #16  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by HyperJ
2024 Hyper Scrambler 2 . Just git it. Very powwerful with lots of torque. Can "cath the pedal in every gear". great economy when pedaling 26 miles in Economy power Mode (used 1 bar on screen). Loving it. Rear of seat the best for power pedaling, twice as much speed and power through the torque sensor.
I got it awhile ago, already put a few hundred miles on it. I decided to store it for the rest of the winter. The cold weather causes the battery voltage to drop, which really cuts into the range. Also, higher speed = higher windchill, so faster is not better in the winter.

I went back to my regular eBike for the remainder of the winter. Even here, I haven't been riding as it's been so cold here. (-10 F)

I changed to an aftermarket seat that is even wider and has squarer corners on the top, so pedaling is really uncomfortable now. The trade-off is that it's a lot more comfortable to ride like a moped. For pedaling, I'll ride one of my other bikes. The stock seat was better for pedaling, but still not great.

I saw one YouTube video where the rider got 85 miles range out of a pair of batteries while limited to 20 mph. That's plenty for me, I think.
Smaug1 is offline  
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 01-24-24, 05:23 PM
  #17  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
I just added a couple more accessories and made some very short videos showing how I mounted them and why I thought they were important.

Where and how to mount a Kryptonite U-lock:


Adding a "license plate" and extra tail light for safety: (my top box can block the view of the stock tail light for taller vehicles)
Smaug1 is offline  
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-04-24, 02:02 AM
  #18  
Newbie
 
CaptainMay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a very good deal, it must be said. Now I am looking at different off-road electric scooters. I've been advised several brands as well as online stores, but I look at the prices and realize that my previous requests and demands regarding price are completely irrelevant these days. So your $2500 purchase considering the whole kit is a great deal.

Last edited by CaptainMay; 04-08-24 at 11:33 AM.
CaptainMay is offline  
Old 04-04-24, 01:40 PM
  #19  
Commuter
Thread Starter
 
Smaug1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: SE Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 706

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Liked 460 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMay
I just got hyperscrambler 2 as well. I liked it when I've tried a friend's one. But yeah, it weighs a lot. Frankly, I can't get used to it.
I haven't been riding mine as much as I thought I would. It does what it says it'll do, but it's not fast enough for a 30 mph street (where motorists go 40+) much less a 35.
I'm thinking of selling it.
Smaug1 is offline  
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-04-24, 05:50 PM
  #20  
55+ Club,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in New York, NY
Posts: 4,407

Bikes: 9+,...

Liked 897 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
I haven't been riding mine as much as I thought I would. It does what it says it'll do, but it's not fast enough for a 30 mph street (where motorists go 40+) much less a 35.
I'm thinking of selling it.
Imagine how slow I feel riding my RipRacer. I only use it around areas that have less vehicles, or in the back areas with hard packed roads. It's not getting the attention I'd expected to be giving it. The weather hasn't been so good here on Long Island here, so that doesn't help either. Still, I might sell it.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Likes For tds101:
Old 04-05-24, 04:42 PM
  #21  
Ride more, eat less
 
cat0020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philla PA, Hoboken NJ, Brooklyn NY
Posts: 2,105

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Liked 773 Times in 473 Posts
I see majority of 20x4" tire eMopeds are used for delivery folks in NYC & Hoboken/Jersey City area where I commute during the weekdays. Likely they are used with throttle operation 95% of the time. The fat tire really soak up the potholes and poor roads in busy streets.
For commute among traffic flow that's mostly below 25-30 mph, eMopeds are great.
Easily filter through traffic that is often stop & go, rarely get room to cruise above 30 mph between traffic lights.
Speed limit in NYC is 25 mph anyway.
I gave my 20x4" fat tire eMopeds & cargo ebikes to my employees as prizes.
When the weather is nice they don't have to take public transport to commute, save them some time and get some outdoor time.
cat0020 is offline  
Likes For cat0020:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.