Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Old 06-27-17, 03:47 PM
  #1  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

I just picked one up yesterday. Setup was easy enough but I'm wondering if anyone has one? What's your experience with it? Would you buy it again or return it? Any hidden features I should try/know about?
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 04:41 PM
  #2  
TIroadie
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had one for a couple of months and really like it. Previously had a Garmin 500 and briefly tried a Garmin 800. Don't know about hidden features, but the setup with the app is great and like having email, text and call notifications on the Bolt (as long as you have your phone in your pocket), and the wireless data upload over wifi. I find the screen very crisp and easy to read. Definitely won't be returning it.
TIroadie is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 05:26 PM
  #3  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TIroadie View Post
I've had one for a couple of months and really like it. Previously had a Garmin 500 and briefly tried a Garmin 800. Don't know about hidden features, but the setup with the app is great and like having email, text and call notifications on the Bolt (as long as you have your phone in your pocket), and the wireless data upload over wifi. I find the screen very crisp and easy to read. Definitely won't be returning it.
When I upload a map from the app, do I get turn by turn directions? My understanding is that I won't if I use strava for a map.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 06-27-17, 06:47 PM
  #4  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also want to know if strava maps will now work with the turn by turn. I've read when the elemnt first came out, that it didn't. Has that been updated and fixed?
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 06-28-17, 01:16 PM
  #5  
TIroadie
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
When I upload a map from the app, do I get turn by turn directions? My understanding is that I won't if I use strava for a map.
My understanding it that turn by turn navigation is only available with routes from RideWithGPS or Komoot. I use RideWithGPS, find a ride, then click on Copy To My Routes on the website and my Bolt wireless syncs.
TIroadie is offline  
Old 06-29-17, 01:44 PM
  #6  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 1,514

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
I just picked one up yesterday. Setup was easy enough but I'm wondering if anyone has one? What's your experience with it? Would you buy it again or return it? Any hidden features I should try/know about?
I have one - I upgraded from the Wahoo RFLKT. So far I really like it - no real issues, it just works without having to fuss with it.

I haven't tried turn-by-turn.
ericy is offline  
Old 06-30-17, 09:51 AM
  #7  
Dreaded1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Latham NY
Posts: 77

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using a Bolt all season. Last week I was warming up for a ride and went to delete the short warmup lap I did. When I pushed the center button I heard a crack, and the screen when blank. I left it on the bike for the ride I was going on, but I was flying blind. No speed, distance, hr or cadence, had to keep asking the guys I was riding with what our distance and average speed was. It was weird after having all of that info readily available.

Before I left for the ride I took a picture of the screen and contacted Wahoo. They responded within a day or two, emailed me an RMA and once they received confirmation that from Fedex that I had shipped it back, they sent out a warranty replacement. I hope it is here by Monday because I have a few rides planned next week and really don't want to fly blind on them.

Dreaded1 is offline  
Old 07-03-17, 05:24 AM
  #8  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreaded1 View Post
I have been using a Bolt all season. Last week I was warming up for a ride and went to delete the short warmup lap I did. When I pushed the center button I heard a crack, and the screen when blank. I left it on the bike for the ride I was going on, but I was flying blind. No speed, distance, hr or cadence, had to keep asking the guys I was riding with what our distance and average speed was. It was weird after having all of that info readily available.

Before I left for the ride I took a picture of the screen and contacted Wahoo. They responded within a day or two, emailed me an RMA and once they received confirmation that from Fedex that I had shipped it back, they sent out a warranty replacement. I hope it is here by Monday because I have a few rides planned next week and really don't want to fly blind on them.

Obviously sucks that it broke but that's awesome they responded and got you fixed so quickly.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 07-05-17, 10:21 PM
  #9  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,395

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 98 Posts
I switched a few months ago from an Edge 1000 to the Elemnt. I like it especially the connectivity. It's a lot easier to get a route into it from multiple sources and it's still possible to sync it all back to Garmin Connect if you want.

I liked that so much that I got one for my wife. My daughter uses the Bolt - she likes the mount and that it can be locked down/to the bike for triathlons.

J.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Old 07-06-17, 05:57 PM
  #10  
green123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 58

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX 9 , Santa Cruz Blur cc, Canyon Inflite SLX 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I ordered the Bolt bundle after reading the positive reviews it gets here and elsewhere.
green123 is offline  
Old 07-07-17, 12:55 AM
  #11  
sstone
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, i will borrow this thread, is it normal that the Elemnt Bolt still counts zeros in the average cadence (from the Stages PM), both during workout and in the history the avg. cadence is including zeros. The companion app shows the "correct" avg. cadence (excluding zeros) in the history, during the workout I didn't check as of yet, will try later today.

I'm using the latest firmware WB09-1422 which supposedly fixes this (with settings to include or exclude zeros from avg.). So, even if I'm opting out of counting the zeros in avg. on the app, the Bolt still includes them in the avg.

All in all I quite like the Bolt (been on a Sigma before, never used a Garmin, so...), however apart from the cadence problem I would really lake to have the VAM option to be shown in m/min instead of m/hr (just a personal preference).
sstone is offline  
Old 07-09-17, 05:49 PM
  #12  
Greyhounds
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've had one for a few weeks now and really really like it. I have tried dozens of cyclocomputers and this one rates near the top. Easy, and JUST WORKS. Yes, I have turn-by-turn and am using RideWithGPS. I hardly use the GPS. There are literally like 70 options you can have on the screen, and.......you can customize the screen, and even make your own screen.

Nice product!!
Greyhounds is offline  
Old 07-09-17, 06:52 PM
  #13  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstone View Post
Hi, i will borrow this thread, is it normal that the Elemnt Bolt still counts zeros in the average cadence (from the Stages PM), both during workout and in the history the avg. cadence is including zeros. The companion app shows the "correct" avg. cadence (excluding zeros) in the history, during the workout I didn't check as of yet, will try later today.

I'm using the latest firmware WB09-1422 which supposedly fixes this (with settings to include or exclude zeros from avg.). So, even if I'm opting out of counting the zeros in avg. on the app, the Bolt still includes them in the avg.

All in all I quite like the Bolt (been on a Sigma before, never used a Garmin, so...), however apart from the cadence problem I would really lake to have the VAM option to be shown in m/min instead of m/hr (just a personal preference).

I don't have cadence sensors hooked to mine as of now, but from looking at the settings, there is an option to turn off and on as to whether you want zeros to show in your cadence. May check and make sure yours is setup correctly (to your liking). Or perhaps I'm wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 07-09-17, 06:55 PM
  #14  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using mine for about 2 weeks or so now, I don't have a anything to base my experience off of so take it for what it is but I absolutely love it. Accurate, super easy to set up and customize and I really like all the options you have. Once the accounts are linked, loading a route takes seconds. Great little device. Wish I'd have bought sooner.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 07-10-17, 07:17 AM
  #15  
sstone
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone has the same problem as me (see below quote). I received a message from Wahoo regarding the cadence issue. They are working on it:

"I am sorry you are having this issue. The developers indicate this issue is scheduled to be resolved in the update which will be released 7/10. If the issue continues after the update, please send the email associated with your Wahoo Fitness account (in the ELEMNT companion app)."


Originally Posted by sstone View Post
Hi, i will borrow this thread, is it normal that the Elemnt Bolt still counts zeros in the average cadence (from the Stages PM), both during workout and in the history the avg. cadence is including zeros. The companion app shows the "correct" avg. cadence (excluding zeros) in the history, during the workout I didn't check as of yet, will try later today.

I'm using the latest firmware WB09-1422 which supposedly fixes this (with settings to include or exclude zeros from avg.). So, even if I'm opting out of counting the zeros in avg. on the app, the Bolt still includes them in the avg.

All in all I quite like the Bolt (been on a Sigma before, never used a Garmin, so...), however apart from the cadence problem I would really lake to have the VAM option to be shown in m/min instead of m/hr (just a personal preference).
sstone is offline  
Old 07-10-17, 08:25 AM
  #16  
Dreaded1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Latham NY
Posts: 77

Bikes: 03 Marin Bear Valley, 1999 GT ZR2000, Raleigh M80(converted to single speed), 2017 Masi Gran Corsa disc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
Obviously sucks that it broke but that's awesome they responded and got you fixed so quickly.
It took a few days longer than expected (partly due to the holiday) but I received my replacement Bolt on Wed, July 5th, and I am very happy to have it back. After riding with all of that data at hand, it was odd riding "blind" with no data. I was returning home from a 58 mile ride when I found out the replacement had been delivered.

I recently found the "exclude 0s" in the cadence tracker, but forgot to look for a difference on my last ride.
Dreaded1 is offline  
Old 07-14-17, 01:46 PM
  #17  
CDS86
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
I've been using mine for about 2 weeks or so now, I don't have a anything to base my experience off of so take it for what it is but I absolutely love it. Accurate, super easy to set up and customize and I really like all the options you have. Once the accounts are linked, loading a route takes seconds. Great little device. Wish I'd have bought sooner.
Ditto, have had mine for about a month now and love it. Have nothing to compare it to aside from a smartphone w/ Endomondo & Strava running simultaneously, but can't imagine switching to anything else.

Hope they update the live tracking to show more than just a dot on a map, but otherwise... Great device.
CDS86 is offline  
Old 07-15-17, 04:11 PM
  #18  
wnl256
Fred
 
wnl256's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 220

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one back in April (shortly after they came out). I love it! I've been looking at computers for awhile and none of them looked like what I wanted. This one is pretty nearly perfect. Very easy to set up and use. I already use RideWithGPS, so loading routes in to the Bolt was very easy for me. I used it for turn-by-turn on BRAG Spring Tune-Up in April and it caught every turn. It has a different audible signal for left, right, and straight, which I find very useful. I finally have heart rate visible when I ride, and I find that to be very helpful.

The only problem I've encountered with it happened when I tried to resync routes from a hotel room. I couldn't get on wifi because it was a "guest" wifi and the Bolt has no way to handle the prompt screen for those. I tried syncing through my phone's hotspot, but was never able to get the Bolt to connect to it. I finally loaded the route in to the app on my phone and uploaded it to the Bolt from there.
wnl256 is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 10:44 AM
  #19  
Edo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a nice mount for Garmin, please tell me the Bolt is compatible?
Edo is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 11:22 AM
  #20  
Secret Squirrel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Garmin mount is 90 degree rotated as compared to Wahoo mount. The tabs are slightly different. I could not get my K-edge garmin mount to work with my wahoo without replacing the plastic insert. (wahoo=blue) Some people rotate the garmin mount and push hard. I wasn't willing to risk breakage.
Secret Squirrel is offline  
Old 07-30-17, 07:14 PM
  #21  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've recently added a speed and a cadence sensor to my product list. Got them both paired and my screen changed to show my cadence. My question, to those that can help, is does the speed sensor automatically take over your speed on the main screen or is there something that must be done to show the "sensor speed" vs the gps speed that is already showing?

By the way, have had this unit for a month and love it. TBT works flawlessly, battery life is awesome and live this features.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-01-17, 09:37 AM
  #22  
raqball
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,100

Bikes: BMC Alpenchallenge

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
IMy question, to those that can help, is does the speed sensor automatically take over your speed on the main screen or is there something that must be done to show the "sensor speed" vs the gps speed that is already showing?

By the way, have had this unit for a month and love it. TBT works flawlessly, battery life is awesome and live this features.
The speed sensor will take over.

I'm also diggin my Bolt. So glad to have ditched Garmin for good once and for all.
raqball is offline  
Old 08-02-17, 04:12 PM
  #23  
Bsgs87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kona, Hawaii
Posts: 54

Bikes: Jamis Zenith Comp, 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2008 Limited Edition Torelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine arrives today and I'm glad to see all the positive reviews. I'm replacing a Sigma Rox 5 which has been reliable but I wanted gps and more features. I really like that it is both bluetooth and Ant+.
Bsgs87 is offline  
Old 08-04-17, 02:51 PM
  #24  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,909

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 377 Posts
Question to the Bolt owners.

I saw a review that complained that the map cannot display in a North Up mode.

Did they fix this or is it true ?
Steve B. is offline  
Old 08-06-17, 05:38 PM
  #25  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 1,514

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Question to the Bolt owners.

I saw a review that complained that the map cannot display in a North Up mode.

Did they fix this or is it true ?
They must have - that's how mine was out of the box. I assume there is a place where one can change the setting.
ericy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.