Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Old 06-24-22, 08:02 AM
  #726  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Update 2:
Got the adapter back from Shapeways and there is an issue with the angle. I believe I know why Garmin designed it this way, even if I think it is excessive. I also know that the two screw posts that hold it together are parallel to the face but I don't want to design a hunk of plastic that just makes it a simple adapter. More plastic, more cost, more weight. It has to be good looking too! (relatively speaking)

I have another sub-section being printed by Shapeways, will see how that works.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 06-24-22 at 08:03 AM. Reason: horrible spelling
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 06-27-22, 12:57 PM
  #727  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Anyone looking for a mount for the MY22 Specialized Allez Sprint, the SL7 varia mount fits and here is a picture to prove it.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 06-30-22, 02:09 PM
  #728  
hhkbuser
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
Update: I have modeled an adapter to the disassembled RCT715 mount. I think in its current state I will likely only do mounts for the Shimano Pro Saddles and Specialized SWAT equipped saddles as well as the Trek under saddle integrated mount and the Bontrager Blendr mounting system. It is just big and bulky and the mounting holes are in an awkward spot to make it a clean model for all the different seat posts out there (unless I go back to the two bolt clamp design).
I found this thread from google as I am trying to find a good option for mounting the RCT715 on my aeroad. Do you think it would be possible to make something custom or would it be too complicated?
hhkbuser is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 10:34 AM
  #729  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hhkbuser View Post
I found this thread from google as I am trying to find a good option for mounting the RCT715 on my aeroad. Do you think it would be possible to make something custom or would it be too complicated?
My first test piece did not fit correctly. The second just shipped today to me from Shapeways. I will try my best to have solid mounting options by July 8th.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 07-05-22, 08:55 AM
  #730  
hhkbuser
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
My first test piece did not fit correctly. The second just shipped today to me from Shapeways. I will try my best to have solid mounting options by July 8th.
Gotcha, thank you for the reply! I look forward to hearing how the second piece goes.
hhkbuser is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 07:46 PM
  #731  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garmin RCT715 Mount Adapters

I now have a few mounts for the new Garmin Varia Camera, the RCT715. Because of the awkward size and angles of the mount for this new Garmin device, I am only offering a few mounts at the moment (all integrated saddle mounts). Please do not expect any seat post mounts at this particular time.

The three offerings are:

Specialized SWAT Garmin RCT715 Mount Adapter
Bontrager Blender RCT715 Mount Adapter
Trek Integrated Saddle Mount Varia RCT715 Adapter

Here are some guidelines on how to use the mount adapters:
  1. Remove the two Torx (Star) screws from the back side of Garmin's supplied mount using a T9 Torx (Star) bit or T9 Torx (Star) driver. Save these screws as they will be reused. Do not lose them, they are small.
  2. Separate the back from the front of the Garmin mount and set aside the rear portion, we no longer need this section of the mount.
  3. Attach the new compatible adapter module onto the back side of the remaining section of the RCT715 mount and secure with the two screws you set aside earlier.
  4. Attach the newly completed mount onto your saddle with two M-5 (5 mm) x 10 mm pan head socket screws or slide into place in the case of the Trek Integrated Seat Post Mount.
  5. You can use this arrangement exactly like the original Garmin RCT715 mount.

I will try to add pictures in the future unless one of you guys do it before I do.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 07-07-22 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Torx is a tradename.
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 07-06-22, 10:30 PM
  #732  
mschwett 
please no more flats
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 808

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 278 Posts
WheresWaldo .. have you ever considered a combined seatpost clamp / garmin mount? it would obviously need a little arm reaching up a bit for a device like the varia, and perhaps it would sit a tiny bit low, but it would be so clean! imagine that allez clamp flipped around, with the garmin mount projecting up from the closed/smooth side?

obviously it would have to be printed in aluminum or another metal, which is obviously expensive.
mschwett is offline  
Old 07-07-22, 05:14 AM
  #733  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett View Post
WheresWaldo .. have you ever considered a combined seatpost clamp / garmin mount? it would obviously need a little arm reaching up a bit for a device like the varia, and perhaps it would sit a tiny bit low, but it would be so clean! imagine that allez clamp flipped around, with the garmin mount projecting up from the closed/smooth side?

obviously it would have to be printed in aluminum or another metal, which is obviously expensive.
Too expensive, Almost anything 3D Printed in metal of any kind is cost prohibitive and should only be used in prototyping designs. There are much cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing. The issue with someone like myself doing this, is that the production is of insufficient quantities to have any savings that come with scale. Then on top of that you have bike manufacturers that believe their aero design profiles are better than everyone else's, so you have a different seat post clamp for almost every bike on the market. Longing for the days of old where all posts were round only helps a little as their are so many different sized round posts. Volumes need to be in orders of magnitude larger than anything I do, to make it a worthwhile venture. Even as a design exercise it is time spent that can never be recouped.

Just to give some example cost comparisons, if a nylon part costs $ X, a polished nylon part is usually $ 2X, an aluminum print of the same part is usually $ 5X - $ 8X, other metals costing more. I designed a computer case badge that was offered in 14K Gold, it turned out to be about 120X the cost of the same part in nylon plastic.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 07-07-22, 11:36 AM
  #734  
mschwett 
please no more flats
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 808

Bikes: aethos, creo, vanmoof, public ...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo View Post
Too expensive, Almost anything 3D Printed in metal of any kind is cost prohibitive and should only be used in prototyping designs. There are much cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing. The issue with someone like myself doing this, is that the production is of insufficient quantities to have any savings that come with scale. Then on top of that you have bike manufacturers that believe their aero design profiles are better than everyone else's, so you have a different seat post clamp for almost every bike on the market. Longing for the days of old where all posts were round only helps a little as their are so many different sized round posts. Volumes need to be in orders of magnitude larger than anything I do, to make it a worthwhile venture. Even as a design exercise it is time spent that can never be recouped.

Just to give some example cost comparisons, if a nylon part costs $ X, a polished nylon part is usually $ 2X, an aluminum print of the same part is usually $ 5X - $ 8X, other metals costing more. I designed a computer case badge that was offered in 14K Gold, it turned out to be about 120X the cost of the same part in nylon plastic.
definitely not cost-effective. but a fun project for sure, assuming 3d printed aluminum would actually be strong enough for the task around the fastener and post. obviously it would be best to print it with the layers horizontal in "plan" around the post. do you think a 3d printed aluminum part that was thin enough to flex enough to clamp the post would also be strong enough?
mschwett is offline  
Old 07-07-22, 12:22 PM
  #735  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett View Post
definitely not cost-effective. but a fun project for sure, assuming 3d printed aluminum would actually be strong enough for the task around the fastener and post. obviously it would be best to print it with the layers horizontal in "plan" around the post. do you think a 3d printed aluminum part that was thin enough to flex enough to clamp the post would also be strong enough?
Just my opinion is that I don't believe a part flexible enough to go around a seat post would be strong enough to hold everything in place.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 07-20-22, 12:31 PM
  #736  
Caesarrr
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMC Teammachine

Hi Guys,

I have the BMC Teammachine, but unfortunately I am from Europe.. so ordering such a part in times like these is about hard and shipping expensive…

Does anybody have a file, he could share for a Garmin Varia Mount?

Doesn‘t need to be the latest and best. At least having the digital seatpost profile would help a lot and I could play around…

Thanks a lot
Paul
Caesarrr is offline  
Old 08-11-22, 10:05 AM
  #737  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Going to play around a bit with a redesigned clamp to accommodate the new Varia RCT715. Don't actually know if it is going to work, but I have a few ideas. May have a lead on a cut off from a Pinarello Dogma F (non-number series).
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways
WheresWaldo is offline  
Old 08-16-22, 09:53 AM
  #738  
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it
Thread Starter
 
WheresWaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Union County, NC
Posts: 4,980

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Finally! https://shpws.me/TcWA
This is the Garmin Varia seat post mount for the Pinarello Dogma F (without the number). It took a while but it is finally available.

And, here is my first RCT715 Seat Post Mount Adapter, https://shpws.me/TcYx
It is specifically for the Pinarello Dogma F and provides a secure mount that is not the bulky rubber spacers and O-rings that Garmin provides in the box.
__________________
"Never use your face as a brake pad" - Jake Watson
The Reloutionaries @ Shapeways

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 08-16-22 at 10:13 PM.
WheresWaldo is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
edthesped
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
8
12-07-17 08:33 AM
WheresWaldo
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
2
12-10-15 10:41 PM
Buffalo Buff
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
5
03-02-15 02:02 PM
rjc100
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
0
01-17-10 03:06 PM
Cosmoline
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
5
01-12-10 07:10 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.