Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Fatbike Tires for Fall riding (roads and trails)

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Fatbike Tires for Fall riding (roads and trails)

Old 10-31-23, 06:13 AM
  #26  
I don't know.
 
RB1-luvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: South Meriden, CT
Posts: 2,061

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 462 Posts
that's a wicked bike. Hot. fwiw, I ride 3.8" knobbies as much on paved paths as on dirt and they roll fine. I can't remember what brand they are, but it's whatever comes stock on a Surly Wednesday (tank). I've ridden as far as 45 miles paved.
RB1-luvr is offline  
Old 10-31-23, 10:11 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,697
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
It's a medium. It seems I'm between a medium and large, but I got a longer stem and it fits perfect. For some reason, the bike shop needed to swap bars when I swapped the stem. But otherwise the rest of the bike is stock (for now).
Might have been different diameter bar. Bars are either 35mm or 31.8mm

That is a nice bike. I've been looking at a Beargrease to add to my asenal. Angry Catfish?
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-31-23, 07:31 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,787

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked 3,059 Times in 1,893 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Might have been different diameter bar. Bars are either 35mm or 31.8mm

That is a nice bike. I've been looking at a Beargrease to add to my asenal. Angry Catfish?
Yes, bars are different diameter. I didn't think about it at the time, but presumably with a little rummaging and patience, there could have been a different length stem that fit the OEM bars. Not that they charged me anything for the swap, but somehow having the OEM bars seems better.

NOW, in Arden Hills. they may still have more of the 2022s.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-02-23, 01:35 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver area (Ken Caryl Valley)
Posts: 1,803

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Terrenes are great and the Bontragers Barbegazis are great. We get a lot of warm days in Colorado so ice is an issue. I will swap to studded 45NRTH Wrathchild tires soon-ish. For just deeper snow the Bontrager Gnarwhal is amazing...even better than the Surly Bud/Lou or anything else. They can be studded too.

Last edited by Chandne; 11-02-23 at 01:44 PM.
Chandne is offline  
Old 11-29-23, 11:00 PM
  #30  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,249
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Mr Minnesota feller,
I'd second the recommendation of just sticking with the stock tires and super importantly--buy a 0-15psi pressure gauge.
I've ridden fat in winter now for two seasons, and cannot emphasize the importance of playing with pressures to see what works best for different snow.
I too am a rider who rides various bikes, but it's wild how low pressures you'll be riding on.
My bike has 26x4 inch tires, and it's amazing how just a bit too much psi ruins traction. It's super common to really notice 1 psi or half a psi.
Basically the softer, deeper the snow, I end up running down near 5 psi---you know the deal as a serious rider, ideal front and rear pressure makes all the difference with traction, and around here in my part of Canada, the trails we ride on are often quite steep and snow can be very soft, so I often end up near 5psi.

You'll see, playing with pressures is a big part of the fun and the difference between being able to keep pedalling or hike a biking through loose snow.
Fatbiking is a laugh, very slow, very different, and you get a hell of a workout.
​​​​​​ Planet bike makes an old school metal gauge with needle, others are battery and plastic. Whatever works, but pretty essential to get one.

Have fun
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:
Old 11-30-23, 04:14 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Mr Minnesota feller,
I'd second the recommendation of just sticking with the stock tires and super importantly--buy a 0-15psi pressure gauge.
I've ridden fat in winter now for two seasons, and cannot emphasize the importance of playing with pressures to see what works best for different snow.
I too am a rider who rides various bikes, but it's wild how low pressures you'll be riding on.
My bike has 26x4 inch tires, and it's amazing how just a bit too much psi ruins traction. It's super common to really notice 1 psi or half a psi.
Basically the softer, deeper the snow, I end up running down near 5 psi---you know the deal as a serious rider, ideal front and rear pressure makes all the difference with traction, and around here in my part of Canada, the trails we ride on are often quite steep and snow can be very soft, so I often end up near 5psi.

You'll see, playing with pressures is a big part of the fun and the difference between being able to keep pedalling or hike a biking through loose snow.
Fatbiking is a laugh, very slow, very different, and you get a hell of a workout.
​​​​​​ Planet bike makes an old school metal gauge with needle, others are battery and plastic. Whatever works, but pretty essential to get one.

Have fun
Absolutely true.
I bounce like a rabbit over 7 PSI.
Sure, the bouncing is a lot of fun but not always practical.... (or safe)
CrimsonEclipse is offline  
Old 11-30-23, 04:39 PM
  #32  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 13,249
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Absolutely true.
I bounce like a rabbit over 7 PSI.
Sure, the bouncing is a lot of fun but not always practical.... (or safe)
I generally follow the chart I have for what I "want" the pressure to be when I'm riding outside (ie if I want the tire to actually be 5psi at -17c or 0f, I set my pressure to 8 psi in my garage near to 20c, around 70f, and then it cools down when riding and will be 5psi after a while.
I usually err on too much pressure, and then "burb" out a bit using the valve, much easier to lower quickly than to have to get out the pump and pump it up a bit. Cold fingers and all that jazz.

I find you get the hang of it pretty quickly, but of course, conditions can be all over the place, so its like skiing and wax, you do develop a nose for how much to adjust etc and how much you just live with things.---but too high pressures suck and also mess up the trails by making big grooves, so one learns quickly.
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.