Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Which are faster -- red disc brakes or red caliper brakes?
Old 04-08-15, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Santa Cruz Superlight, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You all have it wrong. Pedal brakes are the way to go!! Just back pedal and whoa you can leave a wicked cool skid mark in the road!

I actually went from 10 yo Dur Ace brakes to Avid BB7 on my new brake. Yes the new brakes are better. How much better, don't know. Do I feel safer in wet weather yes. Will it keep me from crashing or make me more Happy? TBD Never crashed (knocking on head) before
Old 04-08-15, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8311 Post(s)
Liked 9,105 Times in 4,501 Posts
Originally Posted by coastalrider
You all have it wrong. Pedal brakes are the way to go!! Just back pedal and whoa you can leave a wicked cool skid mark in the road!)
There was actually a 5 race series here called the "Coaster Brake Challenge". It was off-road and you could run any bike, as long as the only brake was a coaster brake.
A friend of mine did it 2 years, said it was fun and challenging. One of the mtb magazines sent a guy to one of the races.
Old 04-09-15, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by big john
There was actually a 5 race series here called the "Coaster Brake Challenge".
Interesting. There's a hill on Mackinaw Island which is marked, "No Coaster Brakes." It's some ungodly grade. As I was climbing it on my upright, a horse and cart were going down. The horse basically had its feet out in front and was skidding slowly down the hill. I didn't make it to the top, at least not on the bike. I stripped the freewheel off the hub trying, though. One more reason to like cassettes.
Old 04-09-15, 11:09 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
IMO there have been 3 major advances in cycling in the last 40 years, click shifting, clipless pedals, and disc brakes.
I totally agree with this statement. But I can't speak with much personal experience since my road bikes are from the 80's and my mountain bikes are from the 90's, and like some of the others I don't use clipless (never have) and still run clips and straps (semi-rigid shoes w/o cleats) and just replaced my Simplex retro-friction with 7 speed DA index downtube shifters. I run platforms on my mountain bikes, which have v and cantilever brakes.

I am very content with everything except I don't like to have to replace a rim because of brake wear. This is obviously more prevalent with mountain bikes, but road bike rims wear. Even my old MA-40's are showing signs, although the anodizing is so stinking hard that you sacrifice braking for longevity.

For me that is the primary reason I see everything going to disc brakes. Being able to build a single great (expensive?) wheelset that just needs to be maintained and will not wear out is worth it.

John
Old 04-09-15, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,328 Posts
One more thing I would like to add...

I really do like friction shifting and in my younger years I could hit it everytime. In more recent times I have found myself missing the shift when going down and up where there is an underpass. Since I pre-shift before coming up the other side, I don't know the engagement because there is no load on the pedals (I don't want to have to back pedal each time) and I just don't want to be off and have the chain jump if I get out of the saddle. It also seems to be a little tougher to hit everything perfect after I installed a Sachs freewheel. I do have to admit that I am enjoying index shifting on my road bike for the first time since it was introduced 30 years ago.

As far as friction, Simplex shifters are great, but I actually prefer the old cheap Shimano L-422 spring loaded shifters. I modded some to work on my down tube bosses and removed the ratcheting ring and they were lights out for me.

John
Old 04-09-15, 01:42 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Interesting. There's a hill on Mackinaw Island which is marked, "No Coaster Brakes." It's some ungodly grade. As I was climbing it on my upright, a horse and cart were going down. The horse basically had its feet out in front and was skidding slowly down the hill. I didn't make it to the top, at least not on the bike. I stripped the freewheel off the hub trying, though. One more reason to like cassettes.
I'm an hour from the ferry docks and never been there for the tourists view (Sr Prom, only) but when I do, you can bet I'll look for that hill just to watch the horses.
Old 04-10-15, 12:14 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Well ... here is something you can't do with calipers:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/174233...ca52b6a9b71f6a

Old 04-10-15, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced SL 1, Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon, Scott Scale 710, Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have disc brakes on all of my four bikes because they work wonder. Honestly, I can't imagine not having them.
Old 04-10-15, 01:18 PM

I'd say discs are the new recumbents. Of those who have tried them, some love 'em, some see no point. Of those who haven't tried them, same thing. Not much middle ground.
Old 04-12-15, 10:29 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For the posters here that hate disc brakes---------------brace yourselves. It pretty much looks like you are peeing into the wind. Just look at ads for new wheels and bikes, most of them feature disc brakes.

Look at it this way-----------people did get over wooden rims.
Old 04-12-15, 10:35 AM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'd say discs are the new recumbents. Of those who have tried them, some love 'em, some see no point. Of those who haven't tried them, same thing. Not much middle ground.
Haha. Recumbents... Haha
Old 04-12-15, 12:00 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Well ... here is something you can't do with calipers:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/174233...ca52b6a9b71f6a
Good point! You'll get no argument from me.
Old 04-23-15, 06:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new here and already considering a second bike (upgrade over my cheap entry level hybrid). I have read this entire thread and don't want disc brakes OR rim brakes for fear of upsetting people. Can I retro fit a coaster brake onto my new carbon quick so everyone is happy? Oh wait, I live in northern MI. No coaster brakes allowed on Mackinaw Island.. Dang

Last edited by DBrown9383; 04-23-15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 03:06 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by DBrown9383
I am new here and already considering a second bike (upgrade over my cheap entry level hybrid). I have read this entire thread and don't want disc brakes OR rim brakes for fear of upsetting people. Can I retro fit a coaster brake onto my new carbon quick so everyone is happy? Oh wait, I live in northern MI. No coaster brakes allowed on Mackinaw Island.. Dang
Get a fixie. Your legs are the brakes. That's what my son did.
Old 04-23-15, 03:36 PM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Allowed on Mackinaw Island?
Old 04-23-15, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,359 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
A few years back, I remember innumerable posts about [...] proper technique when falling while clipless, etc. I learned a lot and loved the discussions.
???? Proper technique to fall? I thought the idea was to disconnect one's feet and NOT FALL.

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
My understanding is that disc brakes are terrific if one is riding in inclement weather, such as rain, snow, or when out on mountain trails crossing streams, etc. If one is riding almost exclusively in dry weather, it would seem to me that disc brakes are simply added weight and probably not worth it.

Am I missing something?
One of the issues is traction of the tires which also decrease when wet, perhaps more than the decrease in the (theoretical) gripping power of the brakes. So, unless one has super-grippy tires, it may not make much of an overall difference.
Old 04-23-15, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cale
Good question. It's worth a phone call.
Old 04-23-15, 05:11 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My recumbent has V brakes and stops fast enough to give you whiplash as does my XC mountain bike... XT dual pivot brakes with Kool Stops is more braking power than my 145 pound butt requires.

My Kona downhill bike has discs, it also stops on a dime and gives back a nickel change.

I tour with cantis and V brakes and ride cantis and V brakes all winter long.

My road bike has Ti centre pulls... it stops in a hurry and I can lock it up at any speed.

Upside to hub brakes of all kinds is reduced rim wear and consistent all weather performance, swapping the disc pads on my Kona cost less than replacing my V brakes on my XC bike.

Disc brakes are also very easy to service, after the initial set up and bleeding hydros are the easiest brake system to dial in.
Old 04-24-15, 12:41 AM

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Remember when bottle dynamos were a huge improvement********************???? LOL
And steel rims with teeth ruled with gum amber covers on the dymo wheel? I lusted for that set up!
Cheers,
David in Alaska
P.S. We didn't use lights on our bikes as kids. It didn't get dark till 2 A.M.
Old 04-24-15, 06:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What ever happened to elliptical front sprockets?.. Just curious.. Also I went down a pretty long steep hill today and my V brakes worked awesome. I think disc brakes look "cool" but I don't think I need them for the riding I do. Don't they weigh quite a bit more than rim brakes as well?
Old 04-27-15, 07:41 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Do some google work, there are several elliptical sprocket companies out. Rotor, and some others, are used by the pros in competition. Shimano's old Bio Pace rings are even sought after by the C&V guys sometimes. Not for everyone, they give a different feeling to the pedal stroke and the front derailleur has to be set up carefully, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-27-15, 06:59 PM
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Originally Posted by cale
Yes. Bicycles are handled on all the ferries -- for an extra charge. I took my road bike to the island last summer, and made it all the way 'round in 1/3 the time of every one else. Riding through town requires total focus (peds, horses, and road apples). There are quite an array of interior roads with hills to challenge any flatlander.
Old 04-27-15, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8311 Post(s)
Liked 9,105 Times in 4,501 Posts
Don't they weigh quite a bit more than rim brakes as well?
As the technology developes the weight of a disc equipped bike will come down more. I don't know what the difference can be now, but disc wheels can use a lighter rim with no brake track. People say the fork needs to be stronger but I don't really know about all that. I do know that the UCI has made an anouncement that discs will be legal in the pro peloton for at least one race, I think next season. This will be interesting.
I think the pro-tour bikes will still easily make minimum weight, even with the discs, which is around 15 pounds.
Old 04-28-15, 05:31 AM

Oh wait, I live in northern MI. No coaster brakes allowed on Mackinaw Island.. Dang
Just on that one hill. Everywhere else, you're golden. Nobody has discussed drum brakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.