Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mountain bike recommendation for an old man

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Trek Crossrip LTD, Fugi Nevada 29 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am too old and brittle for the true mountain bike environment. However, I believe a mountain bike would be a good choice for riding the extensive rails to trails paths in my area. Is there a "stand out" choice for a mountain bike costing $1000 or less. I don't believe this riding venue would require high tech suspension for a comfortable ride on these paths.

Go as hard as you can for as long as you can.
Old 07-16-15, 01:51 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
A little over your price range, but I'd get something like the surly troll. If you want a great bike for under your price range, find a quality used vintage mtb with a rigid fork. Used vintage mountain bikes make great all around bikes. I can't recommend them highly enough. I don't know how far you are from a REI but a novara safari would be an excellent choice as well and is right around your price range.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-16-15 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-16-15, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree a good rigid frame MTB works fine for light riding trails...I had a specialized rock hopper that I really liked but did not keep long because all of my riding was paved, but it was a 29'er and handled well...
you have a lot of good choices... go to as many lbs as you can and test ride bikes... then pick the one that feels best to you.
Old 07-16-15, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I've been partial to the Cannondale Trail SL 29er series - very nice geometry and ride. I also like some of the Scott Scales. Have fun looking!
Old 07-17-15, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
What are your trails like?

I rode quite a bit on the Katy trail in Missouri when I was there. Generally straight and flat, covered with a white, dusty pea gravel.

I rode my road bike on it which I thought performed well, although the gravel slowed me down a bit.

Anyway, if you can ride drops, then I'd look at cyclocross bikes.
If you want flat bars, look at hybrids.

Both have wide enough tires for most gravel paths without going overboard.

How is the "old man" engine? Is it still running like a locomotive? Or more like a rubberband wind-up toy?
Old 07-17-15, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As said above a rigid fork mtb from the 80's -90's.

That's what I use and I've a fancy modern mtb which doesn't get used. I tend to pick my bikes up from members of biking forums and ebay.

Plenty out there over here, although some of the quality makes such as Kona tend to be overpriced, but they are one of my favourites.

Check out the components, most of the steel frames were made in a small group of Eastern factories, but that's another long debatable story!

So don't get too hung up on having a top marquee.

Check the bottom bracket and look for chain suck and cracked welds.

If the bike still has the reflectors on it probably has not been off road and has lead an easy road life.

And .........go for steel

Last edited by Beic; 07-17-15 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 03:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What are your trails like?

I rode quite a bit on the Katy trail in Missouri when I was there. Generally straight and flat, covered with a white, dusty pea gravel.

I rode my road bike on it which I thought performed well, although the gravel slowed me down a bit.

Anyway, if you can ride drops, then I'd look at cyclocross bikes.
If you want flat bars, look at hybrids.

Both have wide enough tires for most gravel paths without going overboard.

How is the "old man" engine? Is it still running like a locomotive? Or more like a rubberband wind-up toy?
The trails are discontinued rail lines and their surfaces range from cow path (grassy) to compacted gravel with an occasional muddy track. Since these trails were rail lines there are no steep grades to navigate. Most are near rivers with scenic topography. I have a Treck cross bike and enjoy it on hard surface bikeways and light traffic streets. I effectively abandoned bicycles when I turned 16 and could legally drive a car. Now at 73, I have come full circle and enjoy riding more than driving. With my limited experience it seems to me that a mountain bike with flat bars and "cushy" tires would work well on the rail trails. My health is good, endurance passable, and enthusiasm is high. Like many of us old farts, dropping a few pounds might provide an energy boost. However, that would, no doubt, require me to forgo the second IPA each evening and that would be a sacrifice.
Thanks for your input, CliffordK. I am planning to visit two local bike stores in Athens, Ohio today and explore options.

Old 07-17-15, 04:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks to all who replied to my bike recommendation query. I have followed up on your suggestions by perusing the Internet and intend to visit other bike stores in the area. Trek and Fugi brands are available locally. The employees in these stores are helpful and maybe a little prejudiced toward their brands. I consider the honest opinions of the folks on this list to be more helpful.

Old 07-17-15, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
If you already have a good cross bike, then no reason to duplicate it.

It sounds like you are fairly strong. Personally, I suppose I just don't like lugging around real heavy bikes, although it may not make a big difference on relatively flat roads/trails.

MTBs will vary from about 20 pounds for the high end bikes to the mid 20's for a reasonable quality bike... and UP. I presume many of the department store quality bikes hit the mid 30's, and maybe even low 40's.

Steel used in bikes vary considerably. Most dept store quality steel bikes have a straight tube steel.
I recently picked up a used Jamis Coda Hybrid, and was a bit surprised by the double butted Reynolds steel, making a bike of similar weight to my Aluminum Specialized Tricross.

I suppose I tend a bit towards aluminum, mainly because there are so many bad steel bikes out there, but there certainly are many low quality aluminum bikes too, so either material is good.

There are probably quite a few good MTB deals hitting Craigslist, of good formerly very expensive bikes. But, so much junk to wade through too. Restoring a used bike, however, is always a good project.
Old 07-17-15, 05:13 AM

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really like riding my '93 Rockhopper that's was resurrected from some dumpster some fifteen years ago. It's sturdy as hell.