Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Bike Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Bike Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Bike Ride

Hi everybody! Thank you very much for the great replies to welcome me here. I look forward to being here to learn and be motivated. Thanks again. I post here and also in the Clydesdale section. So today, I went 6.16 miles in 39 minutes. I am feeling it now lol. I also went in the middle of the day which was hot. I know I over did it, should have started slower. My butt is sore, I need baggy bike shorts. I need gloves etc.

I was fine the first 2 miles but felt I struggled the rest of the ride. Felt like my back tire was flat, of course it was not. I lowered my gear and kept on. Am happy what I did today. A great start for me. I was good on my food intake too, but was told I need to eat more. Why eat if I am not hungry? Am sure I will be once I get more exercise in. Thanks!
Old 09-23-15, 06:19 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Diet can be altered. You really dont have to be concerned with eating more until ride times increase. In fact, you can ride and still gain weight if you arent watching the diet. Just be careful of what you eat in terms of having a balanced diet. Good job on the ride! What you describe is pretty much normal for the firstie. Keep at, slowly increase time and mileage.
Old 09-23-15, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Good job! It does take some time to get your bottom toughened up
Old 09-23-15, 07:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good ride for the first one. I usually try to ride slow the first mile or so, to warm up. Remember you just started and ride at a comfortable pace for the first few weeks.
Old 09-23-15, 10:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What pressure are your tires?

I don't remember what type of bike you have, but I keep my road bike at about 110 - 120 psi, my mtn bike at 60-80 psi and the same with my wife's hybrid - 60 - 80 psi.

The "thumb press" way of measuring pressure is woefully inadequate and generally yields much lower pressures. One needs a pump with a real gauge.

I weigh just under 200 lbs. For folks with more weight, the psi might be increased a bit more, but no higher than the max printed on the side of the tire.

Great that you rode your miles today. You will be amazed at how fast you improve. Keep it up.
Old 09-23-15, 11:10 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Living in the Phx area it was probably near 100 degrees in the shade (and there is NO shade!).
Ride early morning if you can; cooler/easier. Do take bottle of water.
You are doing fine . . .
Pedal on!
Old 09-24-15, 03:41 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReptileBoy
I was good on my food intake too, but was told I need to eat more. Why eat if I am not hungry?
Whoever told you to eat on a 40-minute ride doesn't know what they're talking about. Worry about on-bike nutrition when you're riding for a couple of hours at a time. Until then, water is fine.

Well done for starting. Now keep doing it.
Old 09-24-15, 04:30 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Whoever told you to eat on a 40-minute ride doesn't know what they're talking about.
Exactly.
Old 09-24-15, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Whoever told you to eat on a 40-minute ride doesn't know what they're talking about. Worry about on-bike nutrition when you're riding for a couple of hours at a time. Until then, water is fine.

Well done for starting. Now keep doing it.
My bad. I was talking about my food intake for my new lifestyle change, eating habits. Started eating healthy two days ago when I started riding. Only ate around 700 calories each day. A friend told me I need to eat more than that, but why eat if I am not hungry? It will just be added calories. He said I will lose more weight if I ate more instead of less. Have lost 7 pounds in two days now. Thanks. I need to research more on here about nutrition etc.
Old 09-24-15, 07:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My bad. I was talking about my food intake for my new lifestyle change, eating habits. Started eating healthy two days ago when I started riding. Only ate around 700 calories each day. A friend told me I need to eat more than that, but why eat if I am not hungry? It will just be added calories. He said I will lose more weight if I ate more instead of less. Have lost 7 pounds in two days now. Thanks. I need to research more on here about nutrition etc.
You need to find a good guide on the internet or a book about how to lose weight. A 700 calorie diet is the absolute wrong way to attack your weight situation, and may be dangerous.

Here are some basic suggestions for long-term weight loss - 1 - 2 lbs per week

How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely - WebMD - Exercise, Counting Calories, and More

Others on the forum will have better suggestions. Just wait for their responses.

Last edited by nobodyhere; 09-24-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If I lived on 700 calories, in less than a week I'm sure I'd eat a large pizza on one day along with snacks and all those calories would pack on as extra fat.
Old 09-24-15, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That was a decent start. I don't know how old you are, but at 67, the secret to covering long
distances for me is to take my time. it gives my body time to replace used up oxygen &
blood sugar. Depending on the terrain, I take short breaks every 15/20 minutes or 3 to 6
miles just to shake out my arms, regain sensation in my butt, and maybe hydrate for a moment
while watching the clouds. Speed is not important. If you can average 8 to 10 mph over
a series of easy stages you'll soon be covering 30/40 miles a day, which isn't bad for a
gimped up,old geezer like me.
One thing that'll will help a lot is pre-ride stretching. I make it a discipline for every ride. It
removes lactic acid & tightness from the muscles. It also helps prevent injuries and reduces
severity. Sooner or later, you will get dumped. being prepared & focused will save a lot of pain.
Always do a preflight check on the bike, tires, brakes, mirrors, no loose ends.

Last edited by rawly old; 09-25-15 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 01:13 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're probably better off asking in the Clydesdale forum. Lots of experience there about strategies - some successful, some not - for weight loss. But you can't sustain a 700 kcal per day diet, it'll end - quite soon - with you binge eating.