Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 07:24 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unplugged

I stopped wearing my heart rate monitor a couple weeks back. Enjoying my rides has become a little easier not checking to see if I am "in the right zone" on every hill and flat. I consider myself a "recreational rider." Not sure if I'll go back to wearing it next year. I am not training to race or anything, just riding for fitness and recreation.

After growing up riding a bike everywhere until I got my first car at 18, I resumed cycling in '03 because I had ballooned to 235#. (I graduated high school at less than 165#) I am now holding fast around 190#, give or take a couple. So now, I am just enjoying the ride!
Old 09-30-15, 08:44 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
You will probably do just as well without the monitor. Before we had all of the technology toys, we used the "conversation test" -- push yourself to the point at which you are just barely able to hold a conversation with someone. If you are breathing so hard you can't talk, you have broken into the anaerobic zone.

Congratulations on the weight loss, which has probably added a few years to your life. You are more than halfway back toward your high school weight.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-30-15, 08:44 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I sometimes leave the Garmin at home when riding. I do the same when running about once a week. It does feel different!
Old 09-30-15, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I've never used a heart rate monitor, and stopped worrying about my average speed while I ride (I commute). I still keep the weight off and I still feel great!
Old 09-30-15, 10:34 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I see one great use for heart monitors as a non-competitive rider - to ensure I don'[t go to hard on the early hills of say a century with a mountain pass. I did this years ago on the Barlow Century. I had ridden that winter on the trainer and mapped out my zones. For the century, I made it a point to not go over 155 on the early hills, then 164 on the biggie. I had to let a lot of riders go on the early hills. Settled into the 164 for the biggie and held it to the top. After that, I was tired and never looked at it again, But I did pass a bunch of those riders who left me hours before and were now cooked.

I would do this more (wearing the monitor for long, hard rides to keep HR in check) but for the fact that I have never met a monitor that liked being put away and pulled out for a ride 18 months later. I don't know if it is dead batteries, the units not talking to each other or what, but it almost a given that I will not be able to get it to work. I now have a box of dead ones. At $75 per and one use only, it's not worth it. Now if I could get a reliable $20 unit that just read heartrate, nothing else, I'd love it.

Ben
Old 09-30-15, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
There's a time and place for HR monitoring. I used mine with the Garmin almost without fail for two years, and initially while riding the trainer with training videos. I've come to have a pretty good sense of where my heart rate is at, and now pay more attention to recovery time than actual heart rate. Similar to the OP, l've ridden more without it this year, and lucky for me when I have pulled it out of the drawer it works as good as it ever has.
Old 09-30-15, 10:35 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Sometimes it's a fine line we walk between the joy of cycling and feeding the desire to improve. Cyclocomputers and GPS and HRM and power meters can help us in our quest to improve (or not get lost), but can also rub the joy right out of cycling. Heck, sometimes getting lost can enhance the enjoyment of a leisurely day on the bike. On the other hand, setting, working toward, and achieving a goal can be extremely rewarding. Electronics can help that happen.

I think unplugged rides are great fun. Instrumented rides can be fun, in a different way.
Old 10-01-15, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Unplugged

Originally Posted by dannwilliams
I stopped wearing my heart rate monitor a couple weeks back. Enjoying my rides has become a little easier not checking to see if I am "in the right zone" on every hill and flat. I consider myself a "recreational rider." Not sure if I'll go back to wearing it next year. I am not training to race or anything, just riding for fitness and recreation.

… So now, I am just enjoying the ride!
Originally Posted by John E
You will probably do just as well without the monitor. Before we had all of the technology toys, we used the "conversation test" -- push yourself to the point at which you are just barely able to hold a conversation with someone. If you are breathing so hard you can't talk, you have broken into the anaerobic zone….

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I see one great use for heart monitors as a non-competitive rider - to ensure I don't go to hard on the early hills of say a century with a mountain pass…

Originally Posted by downtube42
Sometimes it's a fine line we walk between the joy of cycling and feeding the desire to improve. Cyclocomputers and GPS and HRM and power meters can help us in our quest to improve (or not get lost), but can also rub the joy right out of cycling. Heck, sometimes getting lost can enhance the enjoyment of a leisurely day on the bike. On the other hand, setting, working toward, and achieving a goal can be extremely rewarding. Electronics can help that happen.

I think unplugged rides are great fun. Instrumented rides can be fun, in a different way.
Dittoes to all the above congratulations for your weight loss. I have never used a HRM or power meter, but I pretty much ride to train for general fitness and weight management, mostly by mileage. This year I made great strides by emphasizing intensity/speed. Rather than heart rate, I monitor myself with Relative Perceived Exertion as described in my:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...“Time-restricted, Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine.”… My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program…

…this summer after years of mileage-based training I decided to emphasize intensity/speed, partly based on intervals…[so a stopwatch is another important feature]
I do check resting HR for overall assessment; currently about 48 bpm. Regarding technology while riding, I previously posted to this thread on the commuting Forum, ” Commuting with bike computer.”

In the past, I have posted in reply to the free spirits who ride for the simple joy and disdain computers, “Riding without a computer reminds me of those who say they are ‘Spiritual, but not religious.’.” Recording mileage and speed data is very motivating for me to train...
Though IMO continuously monitoring real time HR is TMI, I do also use cadence as a training tool.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-01-15 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-01-15, 04:56 AM

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I ride the same way -- unplugged, and enjoy my rides more.
Old 10-01-15, 06:20 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, almost 3 years post cardiac bypass surgery, wearing a heart monitor is a safety feature and I have used it consistently to improve my fitness steadily without suffering any setbacks. On October 11th I'll be riding my first "competitive" event in probably 30 years - a 50 mile gravel race, so I've been pushing toward that goal all summer. Since the RPE (rate of perceived exertion) lags a bit behind the heart rate, the monitor is still useful to get into the zone I know I can sustain over a long distance, and then RPE for hills etc. I do agree, however, that most of the time RPE is a perfectly good indicator of effort and heart rate.

One of the interesting things to me is that even within the natural limits of age (almost 67) and with a damaged heart, the principles of training for cardio, strength and endurance are exactly the same as for any other athlete. If I had trained as consistently and carefully with planned periods of rest when I was a young bike racer in the late 1960's and early 70's I think I would have seen much better results. Of course, we didn't have heart monitors, cadence sensors, or GPS - we just rode hard and often and hoped for a good result. I now know that I was often over-trained to the point of forced layoffs due to illness etc. Oh well, now my goals for the big race are 1) to finish and 2) not finish last!
Old 10-01-15, 06:39 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Shoot, I thought you were going to tell us you had done an acoustical set, rather than your usual hard edge, amplified and fuzzy stuff.

Actually, I think you are smart to do the simpler riding thing. Too many distractions are creeping into just riding and enjoying things, using a HRM, or a power meter, GPS, etc, can be helpful, and for some entertaining, while riding. I am riding to get away from all the electronics and stuff that adds stress to the workday, and to simply get more fit and feel better about things, in general. I think its from having been hooked up to monitors and such, for a long period of time with my past decade of serious health issues. If they help you to ride, by all means use them, not looking to be a Luddite proselytizer. I still have my wireless computer on the stem for the time, mileage and speed information.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-01-15, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The HR monitor is a tool that is useful when you want to make your training very specific. It has its place. Sometimes it is a nice break just to ride with a perceived effort regime. We cycle as a form of play. Not every ride has to be "training".
Old 10-01-15, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
I always wear one, but have recently removed HR from the display on my Garmin. It's nice to be able to track avg heart rate over time to assess fitness, yet not be distracted or influenced by HR while riding. I also like/need the max hr alarm to keep my HR from climbing too high.
Old 10-01-15, 10:18 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I wear my heart rate monitor whenever I ride; commuting, club rides, mountain rides, whatever (well, okay, not on rides to Trader Joe's and back!).

Not that I'm always checking my heart rate but after my (fake) heart attack my cardiologist advised me to limit my heart rate to 165 bpm based (mostly) on my age (65) so the heart rate display on my Garmin is good for keeping an eye on that.

Contrary to posters above, I don't think it detracts at all from my enjoyment of the rides. I still look at the scenery (traffic conditions, etc.), converse with other riders and enjoy all the aspects of the cycling experience in general far more than I ever look at my heart rate display.

Rick / OCRR

Shoot, I thought you were going to tell us you had done an acoustical set, rather than your usual hard edge, amplified and fuzzy stuff.
Funny; I thought the same thing at first!
Old 10-01-15, 10:38 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you ride just for fun, and aren't using HR either for health reasons or to train specifically, then it's just data and there really isn't any point in having it.

When I'm touring I don't bother with the Garmin. I don't care if I get lost for a while, and I'm certainly not riding to a HR target. And frankly, if you're spending 30 hours per week on the bike you're going to get fitter whether or not you are monitoring your zones.

When I'm at home, and spending maybe 10 hours per week on the road bike, I've gone back to having the chest strap on. I find that I need structure if I'm going to be as fit as I want to be - a few months of just riding around saw me lose a lot of fitness. So training with HR zones keeps me honest.

And it doesn't detract from my enjoyment. Actually, I rather like the additional focus it brings.
Old 10-01-15, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
If you ride just for fun, and aren't using HR either for health reasons or to train specifically, then it's just data and there really isn't any point in having it...

When I'm at home, and spending maybe 10 hours per week on the road bike, I've gone back to having the chest strap on. I find that I need structure if I'm going to be as fit as I want to be - a few months of just riding around saw me lose a lot of fitness. So training with HR zones keeps me honest.

And it doesn't detract from my enjoyment. Actually, I rather like the additional focus it brings
Same here. For my training regimen based on Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE):

…Another unintended benefit is mental. I find that to honestly maintain my 60% RPE pace I must concentrate on keeping it up. At 50% RPE I don’t think about pace. One detraction from training for mileage is sometimes the lack of novelty (boredom) from riding well-trod routes. I find that the mental concentration and enjoyment of keeping on pace occupies my mind enough to displace any thoughts of boredom.

That intensity after the warm up is pretty comfortable, and actually exhilarating to maintain as a noticeably faster pace. When I get to a hill, there’s no dread about accelerating to 70%. and maintain for the length of the upgrade, usually for about two minutes (as I might also work in as a two minute interval on the flats if the route has no hills).

I readily know I’m in the 70% phase because within about 30 seconds I’m automatically breathing hard, but not gasping…
Old 10-01-15, 05:49 PM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On vacation (like I am on currently) I take my Bike Friday. I can't read my rpms on my Garmin with the Bike Friday, and I also don't wear my heart rate monitor (never thought about why I don't). So I have only speed, ave. speed and distance showing on the Garmin. But it's a fun ride.

My average speed on vacation is about two mph less than when riding the same bike at home, but again it's an enjoyable ride.
Old 10-01-15, 05:59 PM
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42

Aint' that the truth. I started out halfway through last August just wanting to get out and get some sun and was so proud of myself for finding that I did 'almost a mile' on my mapmyride app.

I'm a fairly competitive person in general and have found myself pushing and pushing for more mileage. Now I get home and jump up and down because I did 20 miles, then 30 miles, and lately a 40 mile ride. I do try to remember to stop and enjoy the scenery though.

Yes, I am now completely addicted.

To the OP, awesome that you dropped the weight!
Old 10-04-15, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My cardiologist (heart attack last summer) wants me to keep my HR<=140 so I monitor somewhat reluctantly when I jog and ride. For me it is difficult to run at all with that limit so I usually do a bit of a jog and walk. I guess it's for the best but I often feel I can easily go higher without much bother. Next visit I'll get a stress test so maybe I can renegotiate that limit. Anyway, I've come a long way since the attack and that's good.
Old 10-04-15, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also think heart rate monitoring has it's place. I still use one with my recumbent fitness trainer 'cause the system interacts to adjust resistance to my preferred settings. Also probably useful for "learning" on a bike, but I'm active/experienced enough to be able to just listen to my body.
Old 10-04-15, 06:01 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by c.miller64
I always wear one, but have recently removed HR from the display on my Garmin. It's nice to be able to track avg heart rate over time to assess fitness, yet not be distracted or influenced by HR while riding. I also like/need the max hr alarm to keep my HR from climbing too high.
Yeah - this. I want the data in the long run, but looking at it whilst riding can take away some of the enjoyment.

Also, there have been times when even having a basic spedometer has lessened my enjoyment - coming back from a long layoff or injury, when I'm not that fit, it's dispiriting to look down and see how slow I am going even though I am working hard. When that happens, I may leave the garmin at home entirely. However, someone once suggested taking it and putting a piece of masking tape over it. This has some value - you can't see it whilst riding, but a few weeks later you can look at the data and see the improvement.

Also, repeating what others have said, the HRM is actually of most use on easy/recovery rides- helping me make sure not to work too hard.
Old 10-05-15, 03:37 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I don't use a HR monitor, power meter or computer. Recently at a group ride I was asked how I know my mileage, I replied that I ride as often as I like. When asked how I know my speed; "I ride as fast as I am comfortable riding." There are better things to think about while riding a bike.

Marc
Old 10-05-15, 01:39 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I quit wearing the "BRA" a few years ago. I ride hard in events. When I am breathing very hard and very tired, I slow down. Have not found I really needed electronics to tell me that.
Old 10-05-15, 01:44 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I always use my heart rate monitor function on my Garmin Edge. It alerted me when I developed A Fib which was "burned out" and something called polymorphic ventricular tachycardia which can end in a "below ground" result. So I won't ride without it. So I ride with antiarrhythmic drugs and ICD now but still do my intervals on hills and ride weekends with the "fast guys" for awhile at least. I love the data and will add one of the left crank arm power meters which can be read by and downloaded from the Garmin. I don't see the conflict between Heart Rate and enjoying the country side. Personally I like riding mid week when I don't have to focus on the rear wheel ahead of me.
Old 10-05-15, 02:08 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
So I ride with antiarrhythmic drugs and ICD now but still do my intervals on hills and ride weekends with the "fast guys" for awhile at least. .
Well another one with an ICD (also Downeastter on icd board as you are). I think for most people a hrm is just an extra. Great for those that like to monitor HR or love tech stuff. But for people like fastcarbon and myself knowing the rate can accelerate anywhere near our ICD max setting is knowledge we would like to have access to. So far I haven't been on the receiving end of an ICD shock and would like to keep it that way. So I monitor on my edge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.