Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The dark side of having a passion for cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1037594-dark-side-having-passion-cycling.html)

h2oxtc 11-07-15 08:12 PM

The dark side of having a passion for cycling

This morning we received a Christmas dinner invitation by email. I assume that it was sent to the entire extended family. You know how they say that sometimes there's a message behind the message? I'm wondering if this isn't one of them. The email partially copied below was written by the wife of my nephew Kyle. I'm Paul.

We're really excited to be hosting everyone this year in our new home! With any luck, we'll have most of the renovations complete by the time you arrive...and if not, blame Kyle for spending too much time (and money!) on his bike this summer. Or actually, blame Paul for getting him obsessed with biking in the first place :) Kidding! (kinda)

I will graciously respond to her email in acceptance of their invitiation to join them for Christmas dinner. If I lived close enough I'd offer to come and help Kyle finish any of their renovations, but lucky for me we don't live that close. In the mean time I'll keep looking for the perfect second bike for him since I've already convinced him of the benefit of having a "winter" bike. :)

RobertL 11-08-15 12:33 AM

A polite and playful note is in order saying that you'll also take some of the blame for Kyle's good health and fitness.

freedomrider1 11-08-15 04:30 AM

Looks like you two will be riding on Christmas day, and returning just in time for dinner. Then open all your bike related gifts. Maybe a nap. Then eat some more.She don't know the half of it.Kyle is a lucky fellow to have a uncle and mentor like you. Keep up the good work.:giver:

Garfield Cat 11-08-15 06:20 AM

Tell Kyle that the renovation takes priority to bike riding for now. Kyle has a lot of years to ride. A couple of months won't hurt him.

RonH 11-08-15 06:45 AM

Take your bike with you and then you can ride with Kyle either before or after the meal -- or maybe before and after. ;)

Retro Grouch 11-08-15 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 18302885)
Tell Kyle that the renovation takes priority to bike riding for now. Kyle has a lot of years to ride. A couple of months won't hurt him.

I can tell that you're from sunny California so every day's the same. It isn't Kyle's fault they're having a drought so he hasn't had enough rainy days to finish the renovations. Besides, doesn't Kyle have lots of years to finish those projects? A couple of more months won't hurt.

freedomrider1 11-08-15 06:57 AM

:thumb:

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 18302902)
I can tell that you're from sunny California so every day's the same. It isn't Kyle's fault they're having a drought so he hasn't had enough rainy days to finish the renovations. Besides, doesn't Kyle have lots of years to finish those projects? A couple of more months won't hurt.

OldsCOOL 11-08-15 08:36 AM

Kyle is being brought up right. His wife's dismay is a good sign of this.

Garfield Cat 11-08-15 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 18302902)

Depends on the stage of renovation and who is doing it. If he has sub contractors doing some of it and the rest by himself, its going to be a long dragged out thing. Subs like to get things done in quick order so they can go onto the next job. When things are interrupted, it means the entire renovation takes on a rather unpleasant living condition for the family. His Uncle would know how its going.

Bike riding and house renovation are very different and distinct things. I don't see them as being comparable.

smoore 11-08-15 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 18303050)
Kyle is being brought up right. His wife's dismay is a good sign of this.

However, a wife's dismay if not addressed...will not lead to anything good. I'd suggest given the makeup of this section, most of us here have figured that out.

BobbyG 11-08-15 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RobertL (Post 18302748)
A polite and playful note is in order saying that you'll also take some of the blame for Kyle's good health and fitness.

Touche!

OldsCOOL 11-08-15 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by smoore (Post 18303092)
However, a wife's dismay if not addressed...will not lead to anything good. I'd suggest given the makeup of this section, most of us here have figured that out.

She must be in a desperate situation assuming she has tried to reconcile this issue before expanding the audience via email.

freedomrider1 11-08-15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 18303361)
She must be in a desperate situation assuming she has tried to reconcile this issue before expanding the audience via email.

:lol::lol:

qcpmsame 11-08-15 04:34 PM

As said, he is fortunate to have you as an uncle, getting anyone into cycling is a plus, in my book. I doubt that its more than a friendly jab, just roll with it, and I agree with suggesting a ride for the two of you later in the day. All they can say is No, its good intents on your part.

Bill

h2oxtc 11-08-15 05:13 PM

The comments are hilarious. I'm undecided whether I should share the "groups consensus" with Kyles wife. :)

Unfortunately Kyle lives in the Pacific NW so it rains a lot during the winter - so yes, he'll have lots of days to finish the renovations (later). Have to ride when you can.

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18302901)
Take your bike with you and then you can ride with Kyle either before or after the meal -- or maybe before and after. ;)

Ron, funny you should say this. Last summer my wife's parents moved out of their house into a condo. They live in another city near Kyle and his wife. I had no interest in the pandemonium that was to ensue during their move so I left my wife to help them and took my bike and went for a ride with Kyle. :) :) I know, I'm going to get lots of negative comments on that, abandoning the in-laws. The fact is that the situation was likely better off without me making comments on how things could be better organized, etc. Best I went for a (long) ride.

We'll see what the weather is forecast to be for the dinner weekend - we can ride from his door, lots of great roads. Maybe a short one?

skye 11-08-15 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 18303062)
Subs like to get things done in quick order so they can go onto the next job.

lol. Subs like to collect half the money, do half the job, then move on to the next because they can't schedule for **** and the second half is where all the work is. I've waited months for subs to finish; I'm more than pleased to pass my experience to others.

Garfield Cat 11-09-15 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by skye (Post 18303920)
lol. Subs like to collect half the money, do half the job, then move on to the next because they can't schedule for **** and the second half is where all the work is. I've waited months for subs to finish; I'm more than pleased to pass my experience to others.

A lot like students doing a term paper. Give a student an entire semester and most of it will be done at the very end of the time. Not all students are like this. Depends on how many Advanced Placement classes they take and other extracurricular activities are on the plate. Sub contractors on the other hand probably have a different set of priorities.

rydabent 11-09-15 07:53 AM

You can never get back a good day that would have been a good riding day.

Wildwood 11-09-15 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by h2oxtc (Post 18303894)
. Unfortunately Kyle lives in the Pacific NW so it rains a lot during the winter - so yes, he'll have lots of days to finish the renovations (later). Have to ride when you can.

If Kyle lives in the western parts of the PNW he needs to be introduced to fenders. Those of us near sea level ride year round. There is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing.

70sSanO 11-09-15 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by h2oxtc (Post 18302429)
This morning we received a Christmas dinner invitation by email. I assume that it was sent to the entire extended family. You know how they say that sometimes there's a message behind the message? :)

So basically she is telling everyone who shows up to to give you a ration if the renovations are not done because your nephew wants more play days.

It does sound like she has a legitimate complaint. Tell Kyle to man-up and get the work done and then he can ride.

John

Oldguyonoldbike 11-09-15 07:47 PM

Good on you for getting Kyle into cycling. One day his wife may understand, or maybe not. In the meantime it seems he's enjoying it.

Baldy1953 11-09-15 08:10 PM

I would think Kyle could get the reno's done and still ride. Just prioritize his time wisely. Been retired for just over a year and have gotten in the habit of going to ride for 1-3 hours in the AM, just after breakfast. That gives me all afternoon to do the necessary "chores" around the house to keep wife happy. If needed, I will skip a day of riding to get the extra work done. It is possible.

rydabent 11-09-15 09:01 PM

Wives need to look on the bright side. Having a husband that cycles instead of cheating is a good thing!!!!

skye 11-10-15 09:17 AM

Honestly, some women will find anything to complain about. Odds are, if it weren't his cycling, it would be his gaming, or his hunting, or his whatever. The real problem is that she doesn't like his activities outside of her purview.

Daspydyr 11-10-15 11:06 AM

It is not an obsession, it is something that we were born with. A hidden time bomb waiting to explode. W can't be held responsible for this malady! or The devil made me do it!