Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT - Other Fitness not Directly Bicycling Related

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OT - Other Fitness not Directly Bicycling Related

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 10:35 AM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Getting ready to head off to the gym to do an after Thanksgiving strength workout. I'd rather go riding, but I need to get another day of weights in this week before spending the afternoon with the daughter.
Old 11-28-15, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love biking more than anything except basketball, and my knees put that one to rest 25 yrs/ago. I've gotten back into Triathlon in the last 20 months and probably feel better overall than anytime in the last 25 years. Biking, running, hiking, swimming, weights, eliptical,specific core work, rowing and yoga are all in the mix for me. Recently adding plymetrics into the mix with success. At 61, one of the best things I did was to NOT listen to the Docs recommendations to not run anymore . . .
Old 11-28-15, 06:17 PM

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Needles
I've done Tae Kwon Do since 1974. ...
Nice, we should talk "hyungs", pre-arranged, and technique application stuff....
Old 12-01-15, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
This is definitely not possible for most people. IMHO the 2 best lifetime sports are cycling and surfing. You get a full body workout, great cardio, and just as important... maintaining balance. It's been a little more than a year since I was out in the water and I haven't tried since I screwed up my rotator cuff, but I hope to get out and see if I can still paddle in the spring.

John
Old 12-03-15, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I do a lot of walking in addition to cycling. I try to get by the gym once a week to lift weights, and I focus on upper body and core muscles when lifting. Although various experts proclaim the virtues of weight lifting, I hate it and the results have been disappointing. I do it because they say it's important for older people, not because I like it. My muscles are the type that do not bulk up, so I don't look any more muscular after lifting weights for the past two years, but my tone is better, particularly in the stomach area. I thought that I would start to like lifting more after I got used to it, but I can honestly say that I dislike it as much now as I did when I started two years ago.

BTW, thanks for posting the link to that article about weight lifting. I'm definitely in the camp that goes for more reps and lighter weights rather and few reps and higher weights. By doing more reps, I figure that I'm working out longer and getting some cardio benefit as well. I also enjoy it more because I really, really hate lifting heavy weights.

Last edited by tarwheel; 12-03-15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-03-15, 08:14 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I do a lot of walking in addition to cycling. I try to get by the gym once a week to lift weights, and I focus on upper body and core muscles when lifting. Although various experts proclaim the virtues of weight lifting, I hate it and the results have been disappointing. I do it because they say it's important for older people, not because I like it. My muscles are the type that do not bulk up, so I don't look any more muscular after lifting weights for the past two years, but my tone is better, particularly in the stomach area. I thought that I would start to like lifting more after I got used to it, but I can honestly say that I dislike it as much now as I did when I started two years ago.

BTW, thanks for posting the link to that article about weight lifting. I'm definitely in the camp that goes for more reps and lighter weights rather and few reps and higher weights. By doing more reps, I figure that I'm working out longer and getting some cardio benefit as well. I also enjoy it more because I really, really hate lifting heavy weights.
There are lots of options besides lifting heavy weights, which I stopped a couple of years ago.

I now use TRX - using your own body weight, and have a DVD which I follow. It uses a lot of muscles and isn't necessarily to get bulky.

Also, other body weight exercises - traditional but good - pushups, planks, pullups, chinups. I have gotten my planks up to 150 seconds at times, I always do at least 90 seconds.

And, I use bands for a variety of activities.