Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Been Thinking About Commuting

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

If I commuted to work, I would have to build up something to commute on. Just thinking on the keyboard. The worst part of this is my wife is enabling me. She even had me move the repair stand into her sewing room so we could work on things at the same time. Right now, an almost finished tri bike is on it.
Old 12-11-15, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats great, how far is the commute?
Old 12-11-15, 04:13 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Which bike will you be commuting on?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-11-15, 05:01 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I love commuting. Do it!

Old 12-11-15, 05:04 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Commuting is a Fun Challenge.

Old 12-12-15, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure. I was hoping some of you would give me ideas. I was thinking of getting a steel frame and building up a 1x10. It's a flat 8 mile one way trip.
Old 12-12-15, 05:47 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just started commuting this year and love it! I built up a Huffy MTB as my commuter and it does well!
Old 12-12-15, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16
I'm not sure. I was hoping some of you would give me ideas. I was thinking of getting a steel frame and building up a 1x10. It's a flat 8 mile one way trip.
8 miles isn't bad. I was going to say to start commuting in the summer, not the winter. But the south may be just the opposite.

The choice of a "commuter" can be very personal. I like the skinny tire road bikes. I've commuted on my Colnago Super for years, and wouldn't have done anything else... except my "new" winter bike is Titanium.
Old 12-12-15, 07:02 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Just go for it!

Great excuse for another bike. I am very happy with my Specialized Sirrus for commuting.
Old 12-12-15, 08:02 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
With recreational cycling, I can choose my routes and times to maximize my safety on the road. (No tricky intersections, no fast heavy traffic, no rising or setting sun in my eyes, no fog, etc.) Commuting adds constraints which may or may not work out well in your particular case.

When I was a car-free grad student, I did a 15-mile daily commuting loop, from home to work to campus to home, which worked out pretty nicely.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-12-15, 08:37 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Commuting huh, look at some aluminum or steel frames, and think about using disk brakes, especially if its a wet area where you live. Fenders and racks are big pluses for most any commuter ride, but not absolutely "required", if you aren't so inclined. Maybe some wider wheels than usual, ride quality will be improved, say 32 or 38, even a good 650B would work nicely, and 36h hubs and rims. Some like to use a cyclo-cross frame as the basis for a commuter, that is totally up to you.

I'd check out the commuting forum here, too. Several of the 50+ people are frequent posters there, and this forum has some good people that will have some great input.

I like the fact your wife is on-board, and as long as you are compatible her moving her sewing machine in the work place will be good for her staying abreast of what your sport means to you. You will get some blow back about this, though, but not from me. Best wishes on the project, if you decide to build the commuter, N+1 is usually a good thing.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-12-15, 10:45 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
In nine years and nine months of commuting, and as a participant in the Commuting Forum, what I've found works best is a bike you love, that makes you want to use it instead of the car, then rewards you for doing so.

No one can tell you what that bike will be for you. But the place to start is looking at what you already like to ride. If you have a tri bike in the work stand, then I wouldn't suggest an MTB, for instance.

For commuting, as in touring, it depends on you're going fully loaded or not. A credit-card tourer doesn't need the things a fully-loaded one does. No point in looking at racks and fenders for your commuter if you intend to drive your clothes and week's worth of lunches to work on Mondays.

Personally, I love roadies. But I also don't own a car, so I need something to tote my stuff too.

The solution I've settled on is a bike that's the bastard child of a cross bike and light tourer for hauling stuff to work on Mondays and bringing home the laundry on Thursdays (four-day work-week). Then on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I can ride any bike I like.

Eight miles each way is a nice little commute. Long enough to work out the morning kinks and work out the stress on the way home, but not so long that you can't ride just about anything.

So rather than try to take someone else's idea (even my own) of what constitutes a "commuter" bike, then making it fit you and your nature, think more about yourself and what would give you a fun ride twice a day, then fit that to commuting.

That said, looking at your stable, something from the current crop of "gravel grinder" bikes might be just the ticket--28s under fenders, maybe rack eyelets. Gets the job done, rewards taking the long way home, and not a pig by any means.

Last edited by tsl; 12-12-15 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Typoze
Old 12-13-15, 12:42 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
You already have a (or several) bikes, correct? Just do it! You will not regret it.
Old 12-13-15, 05:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread, but when we talk commuting,what is the higher end for mileage in a commute.The o.p. says hes going 8, to me thats very do able. I have been thinking about commuting myself,
Old 12-13-15, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If I commuted to work, I would have to build up something to commute on. Just thinking on the keyboard. The worst part of this is my wife is enabling me. She even had me move the repair stand into her sewing room so we could work on things at the same time. Right now, an almost finished tri bike is on it.
The spirit of +1 lives on. Well done.
Old 12-13-15, 07:26 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like being able to run a fatter tire on my commuter than on my road bike. It adds some comfort and it can add (depending on the kind of tires you get) a lot of flat protection. Plus I like eyelets for a rack and fender.

I think it's tough to beat a vintage bike you pick up from CL for a commuter.

There's a heck of a lot to choose from (road or vintage mtb) and the price is right. Your best bet price wise tends to be a vintage mtb. They're cheap, well made, and ride pretty well once you throw on slicks. I like vintage road bikes as well but they tend to be more expensive than mtbs.

The point is that it's a lot of fun personalizing your commuter and the build process will get you motivated to get out there and commute.

I grew up in New Orleans. The weather certainly won't stop you from commuting in terms of the cold. There is some great riding in the Feliciana Parishes.
Old 12-13-15, 07:36 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For a flat 8 miles, how about a steel frame single speed that can take 28 to 32's, fenders and a rack.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 12-13-15, 09:49 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Don't want to hijack the thread, but when we talk commuting,what is the higher end for mileage in a commute.The o.p. says hes going 8, to me thats very do able. I have been thinking about commuting myself,
Mine is about 35 miles round trip, but very flat, with long stretches without lights or stop signs. Kinda nice, because I can dog it or TT it, depending on my mood.

Old 12-13-15, 10:52 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
I ride my flat, 8 mile one way commute on a vintage British 3-speed.
Old 12-13-15, 11:26 AM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My commute is only 5 miles each way and I wish it was longer so sometimes I take the long way
Old 12-13-15, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Mine is about 35 miles round trip, but very flat, with long stretches without lights or stop signs. Kinda nice, because I can dog it or TT it, depending on my mood.
Thats about what i would have. One problem i have is i would have to leave the bike outside which does not thrill me.
Old 12-13-15, 12:22 PM
Seat Sniffer

Thats about what i would have. One problem i have is i would have to leave the bike outside which does not thrill me.
Yea, I would have a problem with that too. I'm permitted to roll my bike into my office (via the freight elevator).

I'd still commute to work, but having to remove the lights and lock it up would be a PITA.

I'm flippin lucky ... my commute is a dream.

Old 12-13-15, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is nice when you can use an existing bike for a while to find out what works and what sucks.
What made me switch from an occasional commuter to daily were dyno lights, fenders, and a handlebar bag.

Dyno lights make it a hop-on and go affair, always ready, no worries about going ninja part way home.
Fenders simply keep maintenance down and my shorts dry.
Handlebar bag keeps the stuff I need handy without forgetting, and holds just enough clothes and stuff for the usual routine.
Also nice to have larger tires, which don't need air every day, and float over less than perfect pavement.

So my rando bike made the perfect commuter. N minus 1.
Old 12-13-15, 01:16 PM

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mine is 15 hilly miles each way I'm not a dedicated, year round commuter, but I try to ride twice a week when the weather is above 40 and I have enough daylight to get home before dark. I'm not really comfortable in the afternoon when it gets dark early, even with good lighting. Drivers seem to be much more aggressive on the way home for some reason.
Old 12-13-15, 03:42 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
When the topic comes up over in Commuting Forum, it seems that daily commuters tend to peter out after around an hour each way. Beyond that is doable, but due to time and fatigue constraints, most people drop off to 2-3 times a week.

With a four-day workweek, I do a hour each way most days in the three-seasons. That's my long loop, 17 miles.

Through the winter, enjoyment falls off for me with the temperature and snow depth. In the dead of winter 20-25 minutes each way is about all I want to do. Just enough to keep with the recommendations for aerobic exercise. Fortunately, I live only 4.5 miles from work, which works out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.