Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good time to stop by LBS and build a relationship

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-20-16, 04:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked 1,871 Times in 957 Posts

I have a few shops that I deal with and all are very slow this time of the year. The staff is pretty board since there are no repairs or sales going on. So it's a good time to stop in say hello and build a relationship with the staff. In the end you'll get some good information and quite possibly some better prices since when you do buy... after all, you're now "friends".

Many times, i've gotten "sale" prices when there's no sale or discounts off the list price without asking.
Old 01-20-16, 04:23 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 45 Posts
Good advice. It's also a good time to ask them to straighten out any repairs that I've botched.
Old 01-20-16, 04:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked 1,871 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike View Post
It's also a good time to ask them to straighten out any repairs that I've botched.
Actually, its best to do as close to the original repair. Or maybe find a different mechanic.

I do most of my own mechanical work and for what I don't do, I only let one of the mechanics work on my bike.

Most of those that do repairs are "parts assemblers" and not real mechanics. I've been around enough to see some sloppy work, so when you find a mechanic that really knows what they're doing.. .stick with them.
Old 01-20-16, 05:06 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 56 Posts
It's a good time to stop by with a box of donuts, and ask if the coffee pot is still on.
Old 01-20-16, 05:24 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 153 Posts
Good thoughts, Oldnslow, I dropped by our LBS this morning, I was nearby for a pre-bid meeting, so I stopped in just to shoot the bull with the owners. These guys have been very supportive of my return to cycling, and are great men, all round. I left one of them a pair of Speedplay pedals that I used twice, and didn't feel comfortable with them. At least the pedals are in use by someone that appreciates them. I feel comfortable that it will come back, in the long run, and if not, its no big deal with me. I like to take them a plate of Monica's home baked goodies during Christmas, that always goes over well.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-21-16 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 08:09 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Figgered I'd do that sometime in the couple of weeks. Remind them we're friends. In the process of seasonal winter maintenance stripping down, cleaning, lubing, and adjusting my road bike. Plus upgrading my front der and replacing not quite worn out chain. After screwing something up I'm gonna need to go visit them anyway.
Old 01-20-16, 08:11 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I can't speak for all bike shops, but at the one where I work, dropping by with a 6 pack of good craft brew will move you rapidly toward the front of the line for good deals and prompt service.
Old 01-21-16, 05:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I can't speak for all bike shops, but at the one where I work, dropping by with a 6 pack of good craft brew will move you rapidly toward the front of the line for good deals and prompt service.
I previously posted about my relationship with my LBS on this Road Cycling Forum, ”Do You Work / Maintain Your Own Bikes?.”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
…My first adult bike was a Schwinn Suburban, and as a college student I did a lot of work on it, including cleaning bearings. Time eventually became too much of a premium, so now my LBS does it all.

Besides time, I have never had good facilities to work easily. Even now we live in a relatively small, but elegant condo, and my wife would frown on a room with a bike stand. Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal. The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective. I tip well, not, “To Insure Prompt Service,” but because I am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
So when I needed to buy a new road bike to replace my totaled beloved Bridgestone RB-1,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
…The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off….

I’m not that conversant with the technical specifics, nor may anyone asking the price, so the price becomes a common reference to tell what a fine piece of machinery it is. But I would nonetheless admit the price only to a close acquaintance in serious conversation.

That's Jim's bike on the left.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
attachment[3].jpg (99.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-21-16 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-21-16, 08:28 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 259 Posts
There is only one bike shop in town that will take time to talk classic bikes. I've tried the other place and he is helpful if I ask but I chose to get to know the other guy. He is a framebuilder, a wealth of vintage parts and supplies. I love taking my classic racers to him and watch his reaction. If I want to travel 15 miles I can visit the Cannondale shop where I found a young MTBer that rides a Criterium Series like mine. That impressed me. I do all my own work and will visit a shop if only for a quick chain or accessory.
Old 01-21-16, 09:15 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately there's only 1 shop in town that's a "Bike only" shop. Every other shop around here turns into a ski shop during the winter, and is often more busy because of it. (More young kids ski than bike, so there are more customers.)

Wow I used "shop" a lot in those sentences.
Old 01-21-16, 01:30 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I have a couple of true "LBS" that I support. I take a bag of bagels and cream cheese in a couple times a year. Everyone will visit if you have a fresh bagel in hand.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-21-16, 01:31 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Bagels or beer, this is often welcome!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-21-16, 01:37 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last time I was heading for my LBS, I thought about bringing in some pizza for lunch. I've heard all these stories about "slow times" and "shooting the breeze 'cause they're bored". They had three mechanics working and at least 15 bikes in line to be serviced. Plus they had three customers talking about new bikes. I guess that's the price you pay for living in an area that doesn't get 10 feet of snow a year. They're busy all year long. I know having pretty good riding weather all year long is great, but my point is we don't get the "snow sales".