Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Early morning rides - a vicious cycle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 06:15 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

During the summer I love getting up early for my bike rides, before the trails/roads get busy.

This winter it's a whole different matter. I've always suffered a bit from the SAD syndrome but this year it's been much worse, exacerbated by family health issues, plus the much duller/damper than normal weather. I'm taking vitamin D tablets, and they've helped a bit, but I still struggle to get out of bed before 8.00 a.m.

Hence the vicious cycle - I'm feeling down so I'm not cycling so much, and I'm not cycling so much so I'm feeling down. We had a bright day yesterday so I went for a ride in the morning, but I was so knackered I didn't really enjoy it.

I am a member of a gym, but don't even go there much.

You fellers in the the northern States and Canada must have even greater problems with winter weather so what are your ways of keeping motivation through the darker months - or is it just a case of me needing to shake myself and follow Rule Five?
Old 01-31-16, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I can totally relate to what you are going through - been there done that too many times.

There isn't one specific solution - may take a combination of things - part psychology, pep talks and motivation to yourself to make small changes to break the cycle; part environmental - consider trying one of the lights sold to treat SAD; if nothing else, ask your PCP about a prescription for Prozac or Paxil generic equivalent to get you over the hump - or try St Johnswort or SAMe - no shame in that in this day and age.

one thing that motivated me in the past was to sign up for a challenging event - long charity rides or competitive events / having a deadline helps me.
Old 01-31-16, 06:56 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
.... I've always suffered a bit from the SAD syndrome but this year it's been much worse.....
We had a bright day yesterday so I went for a ride in the morning, but I was so knackered I didn't really enjoy it.

You fellers in the the northern States and Canada must have even greater problems with winter weather so what are your ways of keeping motivation through the darker months - or is it just a case of me needing to shake myself and follow Rule Five?
I don't know what doctors are offering for SAD now-a-days... but your doctor is the one to discuss this with. Home remedies, and telling yourself to Harden the "F" up... may be a waste of time. I don't get to ride much in winter either... but I love and enjoy every ride I can get in. See your doctor... then count the days till spring.

It is hard to stay motivated in winter. Particularly here in the snow belt. I watch (stream) cycling videos and read about cycling (on ebooks). I make a point of getting outside. Even if for just a neighborhood walk... getting outside is good.
Old 01-31-16, 07:56 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5233 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
maybe a meetup group would help

https://www.meetup.com/find/
Old 01-31-16, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Do you have a local riding buddy?
Old 01-31-16, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Model Railroading gets me thru the winter months.
Old 01-31-16, 08:24 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'll admit that I can struggle with motivation. I try to remind myself that maintaining good fitness makes everything else easier.

We all have a vey limited time while we are alive. I remind myself that some cold and steady winds are to be expected during most of the year. I keep a bike with fenders for riding in damp weather. I try to reduce the amount of time needed to prepare by keeping my gear organized.

I keep a bucket list that includes a few hilly century rides every summer. These require a healthy level of fitness. Now, if I could just lose those extra pounds.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-31-16, 08:32 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
See signature line. Experience tells me that riding=better and not riding=worse.
Old 01-31-16, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I don't ride much in the winter either. Yesterday was an exception. It got up near 50, and the sun was out too. The club ride was short but it was great for attitude adjustment. Not so much for conditioning, but then I've decided that the infrequent winter rides do squat for my overall fitness; it's best to just enjoy them for what they are.
Old 01-31-16, 12:30 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
People and activities!
Old 01-31-16, 12:56 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
During the summer I love getting up early for my bike rides, before the trails/roads get busy.

This winter it's a whole different matter. I've always suffered a bit from the SAD syndrome but this year it's been much worse, exacerbated by family health issues, plus the much duller/damper than normal weather. I'm taking vitamin D tablets, and they've helped a bit, but I still struggle to get out of bed before 8.00 a.m.

Hence the vicious cycle - I'm feeling down so I'm not cycling so much, and I'm not cycling so much so I'm feeling down. We had a bright day yesterday so I went for a ride in the morning, but I was so knackered I didn't really enjoy it.

I am a member of a gym, but don't even go there much.

I live in the buckle of the snow belt. This is my first year of snow riding. It has given me strength I've not experienced in riding. I only intended on keeping a portion of summer conditioning and keeping the Iron Maiden (trainer) in storage. What I didnt realize was how much fun it is. The physical and mental intensity of riding in the snow storms is indescribable. I may be even stronger than last summer.
Old 01-31-16, 12:58 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you find the magic motivation button, please let me know. Even though we're having a milder than usual winter, I'm struggling this year to get out and about (walking, not biking), especially if it's damp and cold. And riding the trainer is even worse. Ten minutes of that, and I'm done.

Sad. I didn't ride much of last season because of injury, and I can't plan for this season, for the same reason. It's going to be a very, very slow start once I do get back on the bike.
Old 01-31-16, 01:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
If you find the magic motivation button, please let me know. Even though we're having a milder than usual winter, I'm struggling this year to get out and about (walking, not biking), especially if it's damp and cold. And riding the trainer is even worse. Ten minutes of that, and I'm done.

Sad. I didn't ride much of last season because of injury, and I can't plan for this season, for the same reason. It's going to be a very, very slow start once I do get back on the bike.
Seriously, if you wait for motivation, you may wait forever. People don't wait for motivation to clean the house, or cook the dinner, or take out the trash. It's their obligation to themselves. If you choose to see exercise in a similar light, you'll do it despite not feeling motivated, and motivation will return because you'll enjoy it and your mood will improve. What is it the Catholics say? "Behave as if you have faith, and faith will come". This is the same.
Old 01-31-16, 01:20 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Seriously, if you wait for motivation, you may wait forever. People don't wait for motivation to clean the house, or cook the dinner, or take out the trash. It's their obligation to themselves. If you choose to see exercise in a similar light, you'll do it despite not feeling motivated, and motivation will return because you'll enjoy it and your mood will improve. What is it the Catholics say? "Behave as if you have faith, and faith will come". This is the same.
I stand duly corrected and chastised. There is no magic button.

But I still hate riding the trainer.
Old 01-31-16, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Norco Revolver 7.3 FS, Trek Silque, Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have a tendency towards SAD. A light box has been very helpful for me. You can get a small light box that fits on a desk. Good luck!
Old 01-31-16, 01:25 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. As I said in the op it's partly the weather and partly other issues that have made the general feeling of ennui that I normally experience in winter, but which hasn't stopped me cycling or going for long walks in other winters, much worse than normal.

The vicious cycle has not been easy to break out of, but I am determined to get out on the bike more often the rest of the winter, although I suppose that I have to get my priorities right and eventually the cycling, which is a bit lower down the pecking order, will sort itself out.

P.s. I quite successfully used a light box for a couple of winters, but following two ops for torn retinas and a condition called epiretinal membrane in one eye the optician recommended that it was no longer a good idea. I don't want to mess with my eyesight.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 01-31-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 01:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
I stand duly corrected and chastised. There is no magic button.

But I still hate riding the trainer.
LOL. So do I. In fact I hate it so much I gave it away. Rollers are more tolerable to me, if only because they need concentration. But if I couldn't ride outdoors, I'd take up running. I do, sometimes...
Old 01-31-16, 02:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Our winters are mild by comparison to most parts of Canada. Winter largely consists of 3 months of low cloud, a little bit of snow, and brief moments of sunshine every couple of weeks. East of the Rockies there's a lot more sunshine, but much colder temperatures to match.

For me, the motivation comes from a humiliating experience about 8 years ago now, but in my mind it was like last week. I was on vacation in AZ and went for a ride with a snow bird friend. After five miles I was exhausted, and only too glad to have had a flat tire. I think the total ride wasn't more than 15 miles - which 8 years later seems short - but I still remember the feeling of exhaustion. If I don't ride the trainer through the winter, even a little bit, I'm destined to the same fate as that ride 8 years ago. I don't want to experience that again.

Riding the trainer is for me is an investment in the enjoyment to be experienced in just a few short weeks when winter fades away with the clouds and the sun comes back to make the sunny Okanagan, sunny again.
Old 01-31-16, 02:40 PM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We don't get much of snow up here this winter . What I have done since November 2015 is to run 45 to 60 minutes every other day . I know this is not the same as cycling but it will have to do till May .
Old 01-31-16, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
LOL. So do I. In fact I hate it so much I gave it away. Rollers are more tolerable to me, if only because they need concentration. But if I couldn't ride outdoors, I'd take up running. I do, sometimes...
I still have my trainer, but haven't used it in a couple of years. I ride the rollers occasionally. Even during the summer, my schedule makes it difficult for me to get a decent ride in during the week, so I run during the week (get up at 4:15 and do 5-8 miles, to be at work for 7) and ride on weekends (in the winter I run on weekends as well if I don't go skiing). Once I got in the habit, I find that I really miss it if I don't do something.
Old 01-31-16, 07:51 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I make a point of getting outside. Even if for just a neighborhood walk... getting outside is good.
Winter may also be the time to get away from the bike some. I enjoy a good hike, or snow shoe trek if there is enough snow on the ground. I take advantage of the nice days to get in a ride. Then when the spring warmth arrives, I am ready mentally to get out and ride!
Old 01-31-16, 07:57 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I've never been much of a morning person and may have ridden two or three times before 9 am the past few months. Usually I prefer late afternoon, which often results in getting home after dark if I'm feeling like riding a little farther, or stopping more often to take photos.

The main problem is finding time to get away at all. If I can manage an hour or so two or three times a week I'm doing well.
Old 01-31-16, 09:22 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Winter may also be the time to get away from the bike some.
That too! I weight train year around.... but more so in the colder months when cycling isn't as attractive an option. It's important to keep active.
Old 02-01-16, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have real problems getting motivated to ride for its own sake, even though once I am riding, I enjoy it.

However, if I'm riding SOMEWHERE for a specific purpose I have no problem.

Case in point, I live just two miles from my workplace, however I have different "commuting" routes I can take to and from work that are up to 25 miles long. Hey, two hours on the bike on my way to work, no problem. Two hours to nowhere particular on weekends...... doesn't seem to happen much.

Likewise, the REI store is about a 40 mile round trip from where I am, if I need something from there I actually enjoy the opportunity to take the bike. Otherwise 40 miles for its own sake prob'ly ain't gonna happen.

Is there a far-away Starbucks or something that you could ride to? And reward yourself with something you like when you get there.

I would ride a 40 mile round trip for a grande chai tea latte.

..and when you DO start out on the bike, if'n your feeling crappy, remember speed is irrelevant, go as slow as you like. Fifteen minutes later you'll feel a whole lot better and can resume your target pace.

Mike

Last edited by Sharpshin; 02-01-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 03:05 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3601 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveCorgis
I also have a tendency towards SAD. A light box has been very helpful for me. You can get a small light box that fits on a desk. Good luck!
+1 this. Light therapy is proven to be effective and in most cases (see gerryattrick's post above) has no adverse side effects.

Seasonal affective disorder treatment: Choosing a light box - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 02-01-16 at 03:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.