Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Excellent deal on a 28mm tire

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 12:11 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm always looking out for a good deal on tires that are between 27 and 29mm wide. The Michelin PRO4 Service Course in the 700x25 is actually 28mm wide on many rims. It's a faster all-around tire that is flat resistant, light, fast rolling and smooth riding. The Michelin Pro4 Service Course is a tire I will install on a bike I'll use as a daily rider. If you get a lot of flats, you should consider the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course as it's the most puncture resistant tire that still has a relatively low rolling resistance. It's not a ultra fast race-day tire, but it's ideal for regular cyclist looking for a balance of qualities. The 700x25 might not fit many road bikes with short reach brakes, check if you have ample room at the brake, chainstay, and seat-stays.

Here is the reviews;

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/T...view_3748.html

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance....ce-course-2014

Here is the deal, today only : https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ce-course-tire
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-04-16 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 12:38 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
These are awesome tires. I have them on my Cannondale SuperSix EVO Team bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-04-16, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Michelin has started labeling their tires more accurately with regards to width. I used to run their 25s on my bikes and, as you stated, they measured closer to 28s. However, Michelin has started selling tires now labeled as 28s, and I've heard that they run close to the nominal size.

That is a great deal on the Michelin Service Course tires and I'm tempted to order a set. BTW, I've been running Panaracer Gravel King 28s for the past six months on my commuter bike and they measure an honest 28 mm wide on Open Pro rims and 30 mm wide on Velocity Dyads. They are reasonably light weight (270 g), roll nicely and usually costs $30-35 each.
Old 03-04-16, 01:03 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Michelin has started labeling their tires more accurately with regards to width. I used to run their 25s on my bikes and, as you stated, they measured closer to 28s. However, Michelin has started selling tires now labeled as 28s, and I've heard that they run close to the nominal size.

That is a great deal on the Michelin Service Course tires and I'm tempted to order a set. BTW, I've been running Panaracer Gravel King 28s for the past six months on my commuter bike and they measure an honest 28 mm wide on Open Pro rims and 30 mm wide on Velocity Dyads. They are reasonably light weight (270 g), roll nicely and usually costs $30-35 each.
Hi, Both reviews cover the current tire and both reviewers measure the 700x25 tire at 28mm.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-04-16 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
I recently switched to 28mm Schwalbe One clinchers on my main road bike.
I thought this was a very good price for a vendor just 7 miles from my home.
$38.95 (free shipping if you buy 2):
Schwalbe One OneStar V-Guard Clincher Black 700x28c - Road Clincher - Tires - Components
Old 03-04-16, 01:21 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Interesting the pro4 endurance comes in a 700 x28c
Old 03-04-16, 01:32 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I recently switched to 28mm Schwalbe One clinchers on my main road bike.
I thought this was a very good price for a vendor just 7 miles from my home.
$38.95 (free shipping if you buy 2):
Schwalbe One OneStar V-Guard Clincher Black 700x28c - Road Clincher - Tires - Components
Yes, that's another fast 28mm wide tire. I would expect the Michelin to be slightly more flat resistant, but that the Schwalbe is faster rolling.

see;

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance....-clincher-2014

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-04-16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 04:18 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Interesting the pro4 endurance comes in a 700 x28c
Actually what the OP was saying is that the Pro4 25 measures 28mm wide on 'most rims'. FWIW the 700cx25 Pro2 tire had the same measurement,
the nominal 25mm wide was a true 28mm wide. These (Pro2) were stock on our tandem in 2007 and the road caliper brakes did not like the 28mm,
tire had to be forced past the pads.
Old 03-04-16, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Open Pro, and I suppose the Velocity A23, are both fairly narrow rims, at about 19.5mm across the brake tracks. A slightly wider rim would give a 'shorter' tire measurement. Rather than say the tires run big, it might be more accurate to say they're meant for wider rims.

That looks like a good deal on the Schwalbe One.
Old 03-04-16, 10:29 PM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Open Pro, and I suppose the Velocity A23, are both fairly narrow rims, at about 19.5mm across the brake tracks. A slightly wider rim would give a 'shorter' tire measurement. Rather than say the tires run big, it might be more accurate to say they're meant for wider rims.

That looks like a good deal on the Schwalbe One.
The A23 is far wider than the 19.5 mm wide Open Pro, I have both. The A23 is 23 mm wide and really adds width and, yes, reduces the overall diameter slightly compared to a narrower rim. The wider rim increases air volume and the addition air volume provides for a better ride and handling.
Old 03-04-16, 11:41 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Michelins seem like really good values. I'm not sure why, maybe they don't get as much online buzz as Schwalbe, so the Michelins are discounted more. I've been running a set of Protek Cross Max all terrain tires for a few months and like 'em well enough I'd consider other Michelins for road bikes.
Old 03-05-16, 09:12 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by canklecat
Michelins seem like really good values. I'm not sure why, maybe they don't get as much online buzz as Schwalbe, so the Michelins are discounted more. I've been running a set of Protek Cross Max all terrain tires for a few months and like 'em well enough I'd consider other Michelins for road bikes.
Often the lightest and fastest rolling tires get all the buzz. That's fine in competition, but meaningless for recreational riding or race training. I have the prior generation Vittoria Corsa tires on several of my bikes, these were among the top race tires up until recently. I enjoy the performance and don't have flats with them, but they are far more specialized and I limit them to ideal conditions. Would I ever use them on gravel or on damp, gritty pavement, no way.

Tires like the Michelin PRO4 Service Course, Vittoria Rubino Pro III and the Schwalbe One Star V Guard offer very low weight and low rolling resistance while offering flat protection and improved durability compared to an ultra race tire. It's a rational trade-off that works for me. The fact that these can be purchased for less than $40 makes it a no-brainer.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-06-16 at 05:52 PM.