Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

light headedness

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

light headedness

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 07:55 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 215 Posts
light headedness

Well into my ride last Thursday I had to stop due to a sudden dizzy spell. The pace was moderate but well within my limits. Anyone else ever had this experience? I'm due for a physical anyway and I'll be sure to mention it.
Old 04-04-16, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,473 Posts
Dehydration, bonking, generall lack of nutrican, anxiety, cold/sinus/inner ear conjestion, and hyperventilation are some of the benign reasons. Unless it occurs again, I wouldn't worry.

Did you see Jason Day in the golf tournament fall over with vertigo? Doctors couldn't find the cause. He's gone on to win many tournaments since.

But it's good to see the doctor about it.
Old 04-05-16, 01:54 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Could be all kinds of things, so do consult with a doctor.

My dizzy spells can come from a variety of problems, but I'm familiar with all of 'em and can usually recognize the causes:
  • Pinched nerve and artery in my neck from a damaged C2 vertebrae. No mistaking this one, because it's usually accompanied by severe pain and, if ignored, a spike in blood pressure. That's why I'll probably never be able to ride drop handlebars again, but can manage fairly upright bars.
    The last time it happened was while riding was on a narrow bridge as another cyclist was approaching quickly. I turned my head too quickly to check traffic around me and pinched that nerve. As soon as I felt dizzy I swerved right to avoid colliding with the oncoming cyclist, and bumped along the bridge fence until I flopped into the grass on the other side. Embarrassing, but nobody was injured. I just laughed at myself for being a klutz.
  • Migraine onset -- it's part of the aura the precedes a migraine. Not usually severe, but combined with the visual cues and other symptoms I know the drill. These happen infrequently as I've learned to avoid the triggers.
  • Low blood sugar. As long as I eat properly and don't overdo it with sugary stuff I'm fine. I always take bananas to snack on during rides in case I bonk from blood sugar. These are predictable because I know when I haven't eaten properly.
Old 04-05-16, 04:33 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I've had that happen to me in the past. In my case, it was due to dehydration. I've since upped my fluid intake to a 24 oz. bottle every 45 minutes to an hour and it hasn't happened since. I drink water until the weather turns warm, then add electrolyte tabs. It's warming up in Louisiana, so I'll be going to the Nuun tablets soon.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-05-16, 06:24 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Could be all kinds of things, so do consult with a doctor.

• Low blood sugar. As long as I eat properly and don't overdo it with sugary stuff I'm fine. I always take bananas to snack on during rides in case I bonk from blood sugar. These are predictable because I know when I haven't eaten properly.
Absolutely! Talk to the expert. In my case, low blood sugar is usually the cause of dizziness/light headedness. Something us diabetics need to watch out for. On a long ride, eat about at least a hundred calories every hour.
Old 04-05-16, 11:40 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Go see your doctor--there is none here to give you advice!
Old 04-11-16, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had the same experience my last ride. I was on my way back from where i started and had to get off the bike. I was lightheaded and nauseous. I realized while i was sitting down that i had neglected to eat all day, it had got a little warmer, and I hadn't drank much water. Over heated, dehydrated, and an empty stomach, plus pushing it a little harder than usual, it was a wonder i got as far as i did. I had also neglected to take along something to snack on during the ride. The worst part is , like most of us, I know better than that. That was a feeling I won't want to experience again.
Old 04-12-16, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
missed a day of work this year due to what I self diagnosed as vertigo. got up one morning and went about my mornign routine, breakfast shower, chores, got dressed, etc. felt dizzy, it didn't go away. stayed in bed or the couch all day. felt better later on. never happened before and hasn't happened again. thanks for reminding me about it - got a physical coming up in a few weeks
Old 04-15-16, 01:02 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
With dehydration comes loss of important minerals in your system. I used to have a serious post ride problem with dizziness. I had a number of doctor ordered tests. Inner ear, heart, lungs the whole system. At our age it is always good to look these things over. COSTCO came out with a Product that I have been using that has helped a TON.

It is called FitBiz. It is loaded with B vitamins and minerals. It ha helped me immensely. I think it is worth a look.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-15-16, 08:39 PM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get checked. I was having issues starting a couple years ago. First focus was hydration. Follow up discovered I have a left bundle branch block. That has resulted in lowered heart function. I'm now scheduled for a pacemaker in a month. Long term should be no restrictions. Listen to your body.
Old 04-15-16, 11:21 PM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are times when my blood pressure meds cause a little dizziness.
Old 04-16-16, 08:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Had you just reached down for your water bottle and raised back up by chance?
Old 04-18-16, 12:04 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I've got no helpful suggestions, just an anomaly in my own slight inner-ear/vertigo problem.

When walking or running I frequently get slight dizzy or out-of-balance feelings, nothing to make me overly concerned, and not worth going to the doc about, but definitely noticeable.

When on the bike, whether short or long distances, fast or slow, I never get these feelings at all. Perhaps it is because of the jarring effect of taking steps, which we obviously don't get while cycling.

As the saying goes: old age doesn't come by itself.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 04-18-16 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-18-16, 12:07 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 3,005 Times in 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
Go see your doctor--there is none here to give you advice!
I did this. They gave me a brain scan, a cardiogram, and a cardio-monitor thing I wore for a week... didn't find anything strange and it's mostly gone now but not zero.
Old 04-18-16, 05:51 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had the same problem, however my rides kept getting worse and worse. On a day I didn't go ride I started with angina went to the hospital and was told it was unstable angina . I was transferred to the VA, had a catherization done and was told I have micro vascular heart disease. So now I'm on Lipitor and increase in my bp mess. All is good now
Old 04-18-16, 10:06 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3911 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,398 Posts
Besides the stuff mentioned above, a very good possibility for the OP and other dizzy posters is BPPV: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) | Vestibular Disorders Association
Diagnosis: https://www.thebsa.org.uk/wp-content/...2014/04/HM.pdf
Treatment: https://www.activator.com/wp-content...20Handouts.pdf

If you happen to assist a sufferer with the Hallpike test, nystagmus is pretty funny the first time you see it. Reminded me of Mr. Toad's eyes in the old Disney Wind in the Willows film. Nystagmus
Old 04-19-16, 01:39 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Well into my ride last Thursday I had to stop due to a sudden dizzy spell. The pace was moderate but well within my limits. Anyone else ever had this experience? I'm due for a physical anyway and I'll be sure to mention it.
Low blood pressure is another possibility. Are you taking medications? Get on the phone and mention this, do not wait for an appointment as there are a lot of things it could be, none of which are normal.
Old 04-19-16, 05:55 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Its far off, and probably not what you are dealing with, but the orthostatic hypotension (extreme low blood pressure dizziness) was one of the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease that led me to seek a neurologist for conclusive evaluation and diagnosis. That, along with the swallowing issues, are for me, the most annoying and troubling symptoms I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-19-16, 01:21 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 215 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions. My doc has left for parts unknown but I have an appointment with my new doc in a few weeks. The clinic informed me I haven't been in for six years.

It's been in the back of my mind that I'm not really sure what caused a crash I had two years ago. I suppose it's possible it was a similar event.