Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No riding for a while again!!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-10-16, 04:45 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Took the Litespeed out for my last ride for about a month. My prostate surgery left my abdominal muscles weak and I have developed a hernia, just to left of my navel. It looks like I swallowed a large grapefruit - whole. I'm having the surgery May 12. The surgeon said it will be outpatient so I'll be home early afternoon. Then I get to look at the bikes hanging in the garage for at least 3 weeks. He said we'll discuss riding at my followup visit on May 31. Got my fingers crossed.
This would happen just when I finally got all the parts to repair my worn out 9-speed drivetrain. I won't be able to lift anything heavier than 10# so my wife will have to get the Litespeed off the bike holder so I can replace the chainrings, cassette and chain. Or maybe I'll wait until the doc says I can get back to "normal" activities. And my new wheels for the Cannondale from PSIMet.com (Bike Forums member @Psimet2001) should be here in another week to 10 days. They too will have to sit in the garage waiting for that first ride.

I have 5 small scars from the prostate surgery. The surgeon said he will make 3 or maybe 4 small incisions to do the repair. My wife said she's going to play "connect the dots" on my abdomen after I heal up and with 8 or 9 "dots" she'll have lots of fun.

Just when I was beginning to come back "strong" from the prostate surgery I get to sit on the sidelines again.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-10-16, 05:22 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 225 Posts
I'm feeling your pain! Had emergency appendectomy at age 45 (huge scar), and a total prostatectomy at 52. If I tried to do sit-ups, the abdominal muscles would go berserk! I had to have another surgery to remove the scar tissue from those two prior surgeries.... Have been taking it easy (cycling-related) ever since. Of course, since I have been off the bike(s), I've packed on the pounds. Other heather-related matters come as a result. Now I've got to lose a bunch. My goal for this Summer (by the end of September) is to lose 30 pounds, and then another 30 in the following year just to get myself to where I was before that first surgery...
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Old 05-10-16, 06:13 PM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
^^^
Good luck with the weight loss.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-10-16, 06:54 PM
Shamrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The good news is you will be riding again!
Old 05-10-16, 07:09 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Sorry to hear that the EVO will be sitting on the sidelines ... but glad to hear that it's only temporary. Best wishes.
Old 05-10-16, 07:37 PM
stardognine

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 223 Posts
Have a speedy recovery. Let the bike stuff wait, there's no sense rushing that. The anticipation will make you enjoy wrenching a bit more, I bet.
Old 05-10-16, 07:59 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Heck Ron - It must drive you nuts to be laid up just when you're getting fit again and the weather is nice. Here's hoping it heals quickly!
Old 05-10-16, 08:06 PM
FBinNY

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post

I have 5 small scars from the prostate surgery. The surgeon said he will make 3 or maybe 4 small incisions to do the repair. My wife said she's going to play "connect the dots" on my abdomen after I heal up and with 8 or 9 "dots" she'll have lots of fun.
Maybe you can number them in a sequence so that when connected, they draw something interesting, like a bicycle.
Old 05-10-16, 08:27 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 498 Posts
I would grab a pen and add a few more dots that lead to somewhere more interesting. I wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 05-10-16, 11:56 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
So sorry to read about your health troubles--hope you get back on the bike quickly!
Health is everything and becomes so much more important as we age!
Good luck!
Old 05-11-16, 06:19 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 315 Posts
True words for you..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPePk3kGZk.....and so you will!!!
Old 05-11-16, 06:41 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
getting old is not for weaklings.
Old 05-11-16, 11:22 AM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
True words for you..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPePk3kGZk.....and so you will!!!
I like it.

Originally Posted by obed7 View Post
getting old is not for weaklings.
I'm not old yet. I'm only 71.

Old 05-11-16, 02:38 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I'm slowly back riding after hernia repair surgery, though mine was an inguinal hernia so recovery rates may be very different. In fact, I suspect (and hope) you'll get back to "normal" much quicker than it's taking me!

In my case, my surgeon warned me to not try riding for 2 to 3 months post surgery

I admit, I thought that was kind of a ridiculously long time to wait, but I did wait three months and tried a very gentle ride. It didn't go very well - well, actually, I thought it was fine while I was riding, but in the middle of that night I had some pretty serious pain around my surgery area. So I waited for that to go down, then after several days when I felt ready I tried riding again, this time into work which is a mere 4 km. Halfway through that I realized that I wasn't ready for this. I got myself into work, then had to phone my wife to pick me (and my bike) up after work.

Slowly, I was able to get back to gentle riding. And I mean gentle! No Cat 6 racing, no cranking up hills, no pursuing a rider who's passed me, nothing but slowly riding my ride and resting whenever it seemed like a good idea. I literally rode like that for almost two months. Funny thing though: I found myself loving it, not being in any sort of hurry, just gently getting around on my bike at my pace and not caring at all about what anybody else was doing.

I'm getting close to my third month of riding, and now I'm feeling pretty good and I'm able to increase my distance and intensity gradually without causing problems. I'm still quite a long way from my "normal", but I'm able to do most things on a bike that I like to do and I'm incredibly thankful for that.

From what little I know, I think you'll probably get back much quicker from your surgery simply because of where your hernia is located. And I certainly hope you do!

Edit: just read your post again, and it seems pretty clear to me that you're going to have laparoscopic hernia repair (which wasn't a good option for mine) That just about guarantees you'll have a quicker recovery than me.

Last edited by winston63; 05-11-16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 10:52 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Darn Ron! Sorry to hear that. Hope the surgery goes well and you're on the back on the bike sooner than expected.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-12-16, 11:23 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 170 Posts
You're certain you didn't actually swallow a whole grapefruit??? Of course, a grapefruitectomy would keep you off the bike for a while, too............................................
Old 05-13-16, 07:39 AM
RonH
Life is good

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Had the surgery yesterday. Got home about 3:30PM. I have a wide (~18") compression band wrapped around my waist. The doc said no showering until Sunday morning so a sponge bath will have to do.
Tried getting in the bed last night but it was too painful so "slept" in the chair. Maybe tonight I'll be able to get in the recliner.
Getting old is not for sissies.

Old 05-13-16, 09:51 AM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 225 Posts
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!
Old 05-13-16, 12:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 170 Posts
Maybe sleeping on a bike would be better. Just no riding till approved.
Old 05-14-16, 04:19 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
At the age of 68 (in June) and having been a Type 1 diabetic for 52 years the wear and tear is starting to negatively impact my bicycling. But, only temporarly

A couple of months ago I chaffed my right foot (while walking 20K steps a day in a month-long team event) and developed a pressure ulcer that is still taking it's time to heal - another week or 2 and it will finally close. It was complicated by getting infected and after several swabs and different anti-biotics that issue ended. Now healing normally with Manuka honey, high tech dressings and simply off loading weight with crutches. Back on the bike by June, I thought...

Then 3 weeks ago was diagnosed with a blood clot/hemorrhage (macular degeneration)in my left eye and a cataract as well. Emergency operation here in Doha and a 7 day hospital stay to make sure there were no complications. Amazing recovery but I notice some degeneration in the left center of the vision field. Back to work this coming week.

No matter, going travelling in July and August with my lovely. She and I will be taking 2 Bromptons for short jaunts in Eastern Canada, the UK and maybe France.

Life is good. Excellent fact , as I just heard an old friend from HS days died of stomach cancer. Moral of the story is: pedal as often as your body allows you to do so - and listen to your body so it will treat you well Reciprocity is rewarding.