Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride Of Silence 2016

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride Of Silence 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 08:24 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Ride Of Silence 2016

Do you have a group in your area riding tonight? Are you participating? I havent rode our local 10mi RoS since 2012 and very much looking forward to this evening. I'll get back with a report later on.
Old 05-18-16, 10:39 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
We have one scheduled for tonight but I don't know that I'm going to ride in it. It's going to depend on which of my cycling buddies are going because it's a bit of a distance for me to drive to the ride just for a 10-12 mile ride.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-18-16, 10:46 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,987 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
We have one scheduled for tonight but I don't know that I'm going to ride in it. It's going to depend on which of my cycling buddies are going because it's a bit of a distance for me to drive to the ride just for a 10-12 mile ride.
Same here. The closest group is 10 miles away, and I'd be riding with people I've never met.

Had I had known of it earlier, I'd have tried to organize my own.

Old 05-18-16, 06:24 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

We had 12 riders, all were 50+ in age. For some reason they cut the ride short from 10mi to 6mi. It was nice to meet a few folks and enjoy a pleasant 60deg evening.
Old 05-18-16, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I did one, once. Never again. Virtually all motorists who see the procession don't know what it is. The one I went on used all quiet neighborhood streets, so nobody even saw us. To make matters more confusing, in my club, the only ride allowed today is the Ride of Silence, which is not a club ride, is not organized by a club member, starts from a location that's impractical for most club members to use, and starts late enough that it requires lights (which most members don't have.)

In my mind, it's a nice, but ultimately a useless concept.
Old 05-18-16, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We do, I did. Ours was 4 miles on very busy 6 lane streets. We had a bike cop with us tonight amongst 16 other riders. He was in full dress on his trek and wasn't there only because he was assigned.
Old 05-18-16, 11:40 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I did it tonight in Irvine, CA. Maybe 75-100 riders, one police officer riding a bike, a couple of motor officers and SUVs controlling intersections. Nice evening, ride went well. It started about 10 mi from my house, so I rode to the start, did the 10 mi ride, then rode home for 30 total.

I think the idea is good. I agree that it would be better if there was someway to communicate what is going on to motorists.
Old 05-19-16, 02:12 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I rode with the Fort Worth group Wednesday evening, my first time. Very enlightening experience, which I'll try to summarize. I won't succeed at summarizing. But I'll try.

I'd guesstimate we started with close to 100 riders, including some kids who were good steady riders and well coached and encouraged by their parents. There were several safety monitors and cat herders among the group, who blocked intersections to herd us through safely. And we were accompanied by a bicycle mounted Fort Worth police officer, which was a big morale booster, and added credibility to the overall mission. We rode a looping 12 mile route around downtown, toward the Fairmount/Magnolia Near Southside district, etc. This is a high profile route, along the business districts that have revitalized downtown Fort Worth over the past 20 years and boosted the overall economy.

I rode toward the back of the pack, partly to observe the whole thing, partly because I'm a bit wobbly when I'm tired and I'd already ridden a fast 12 miles to get to the ride and didn't have much of a rest break before the ride. Fortunately the ride was only 8-9 mph, so I kept up easily. The wobbliest riders were a few adults taking photos, so while I'm a longtime shutterbug and street photographer I put my camera away after a couple of snaps and concentrated on the ride. If it hadn't rained (just sprinkles) I'd have mounted a camera on the handlebar and snapped a few pix along the way.

Before the ride one of the organizers commented -- and I hope I'm not misrepresenting his statements -- that cycling on public roads is more dangerous than ever. I disagree, and said so -- quietly -- to a couple of fellows nearby, which probably didn't win me any friends. But I don't share the persecution complex some (far from most) riders have about sharing the road with motorists. I cycle commuted for years in the 1970s-'80s in Southern California and the Washington DC area while I was in the Navy. Overall it was a great experience and I usually preferred it to driving. When I returned to Texas I gave up cycling within a few months. In SoCal and Wash DC, I encountered a few careless drivers and was struck a few times, usually from behind at very slow speeds at stop sign intersections. I encountered only a couple of somewhat hostile or aggressive drivers.

But Texas in the early 1980s was a rude awakening. Never before had I experienced so many drivers deliberately trying to run me off the road for sport, hooting and hollering like the rednecks in Easy Rider. And I actually knew some of these folks, from my small rural home town. But they didn't recognize me on the bike, and didn't regard me as a neighbor or friend once I was on the bicycle. I was just an object to be run down for sport, like an unlucky possum or tarantula. I gave up cycle commuting and soon after quit riding completely for 30 years.

This part of Texas is far, far friendlier and safer toward cyclists now.

Yes, there are still risks. Yes, there are still a few hostile drivers. During the Wednesday evening Ride for Silence a couple of drivers honked at us impatiently -- herding dozens of riders through intersections did take a few minutes longer than drivers were accustomed to. The worst was a young lady, who sounded drunk, who hollered at us to "Get the f**k off the road!", but didn't actually act on her belligerence. The only inconsiderate act I witnessed personally was after the ride in the parking lot, when a driver who wasn't associated with the cycling group seemed a mite impatient to weave through the group and get a parking spot.

To me, none of these was a big deal. But I'll admit that I have pretty thick skin, and shrug off most inconsiderate and rude behavior. I'm only concerned about overt acts of aggression. However I can understand the slippery slope argument, that tolerating carelessness and rudeness may escalate to aggression and violence.

After the ride a fellow posted a rant on the RoS Facebook group (since deleted) saying he was ashamed to be a bicyclist because of the way the group behaved. He was referring to the cat herders blocking intersections to allow the entire group of riders to stay together, which occasionally meant riding through some red lights and stop signs. I'd hope to engage in some dialog and asked whether he'd have the same reaction if we were a funeral procession in hearses or on foot. Because, effectively, that's what the Ride of Silence is. I asked whether he could suggest any ways to make such a large group ride function better. But the entire post was deleted. Probably just as well, although it would be useful to engage the public in dialog about sharing the road. Perhaps some consensus could be reached on some common areas of conflict.

One particular point on which I'd differ from some cyclists is in the notion of a "community of bicyclists". Where sharing the public roads are concerned I don't see cyclists as a separate and distinct community. We're part of the whole community of people using public thoroughfares. Putting too much emphasis on a separate and distinct community runs the risk of alienating the very people we're trying to reach -- motorists. For better or worse, this is the wrong cultural and political climate for creating yet another special interest group that gives the impression of causing disadvantages and inconveniences for the larger middle class. I think it would be more politically expedient to emphasize commonalities rather than differences.

I'd like to see a public service announcement campaign to emphasize sharing the road, including more signs, and reminding us all that we're not "the other" or separate groups and classes of special interest groups each competing for scarce resources.

Without publicity leading up to the Ride of Silence, I'm afraid the entire effort failed to win any converts among motorists. That's a shame.

An example...

Near the start of the ride, before we'd left Trinity Park, a stopped motorist rolled down his window to ask what the large group ride was about. Several riders rode right by him. They were observing the "silence" part of the ride (personally I consider it an unnecessary conceit -- some oral communication is essential for expediency and safety). But to the driver we probably appeared aloof, even arrogant. I saw an opportunity. And being a bit of a chatterbug, I stopped and chatted. Besides, I was already at the back of the pack and not holding up anyone. I explained the Ride of Silence concept (as best I understood it), and thanked him for stopping and for asking. Just then a cat herder stopped and quietly handed me a few slips of paper explaining the Ride of Silence. I gave one to the driver and slipped the rest in my pocket.

I saw several opportunities along the route to engage the public -- motorists stopped by our group, pedestrians -- but we didn't really take advantage of those opportunities. Because... "silence". Okay, I get it. A rider with the Dallas RoS group told a TV reporter it made a dramatic statement, to witness so many cyclists riding by silently. But to the public at large, it's just cryptic. It's an interesting conceit that fails to communicate the primary mission to motorists.

Just my take. Hopefully this comes across as a glass-half-full critique, and not mere sniping that might discourage these commendable efforts.

But it was a very positive experience overall and I enjoyed meeting some new folks and revisiting some other cyclists I've ridden with before in the local Critical Mass group rides.

Best part of the evening? A few miles from home I encountered a cyclist walking her bike uphill, and barely saw her. No reflectors or lights. I usually carry extra reflectors -- the coiled springy wraparound types for ankles or arms. And I recently began carrying some of those little 2-LED "frog" blinkies -- those little things that wrap around seat posts, seat stays or handlebars. I bought 'em for a buck apiece at the nearby Dollartree, figuring I'd eventually have an opportunity to give some away. Sure enough, the young woman was happy to have them. And I was happy to find a new home for 'em. Fortunately, I'm noticing other folks who have only bicycles for transportation using these inexpensive lights and reflectors too. That's a big deal for folks who collect cans and recyclables for cash, and some dollar stores are carrying more safety items for cyclists and joggers.
Attached Images
Old 05-19-16, 03:50 AM

We ride courteously in single file and to the right of the fogline. Some groups may regard the ride as a protest but for us it is in memory and honor of our friends. Our ride is fairly well promoted and conveniently located downtown. This is the least I can do to help.
Old 05-19-16, 06:18 AM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done! Great summary with lots of food for thought. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 05-19-16, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I rode last evening with 17 people in Racine, Wi. It was a respectful, well managed ride. We had a bike-cop volunteer ride the rear. We took the right lane on four lane city streets. We obeyed traffic lights. If the group was split at a light, the lead people stopped and waited for the light to change and the back group to rejoin.

With respect to "..it starts so late that lights are needed.." Nonsense. Factually incorrect.

The report above where the group assumed the rights of a funeral procession..that needs to stop. The whole point is "same rights and responsibilities.." Riding through red lights and stopping traffic is completely counterproductive.

I had a friend run down by a kid-driver that dropped his cell phone, he leaned down to pick it up, swerved right in the process & broken my friend's neck at 50mph. ...for those looking for ways to run the ride down..that's like tossing popcorn from the cheap seats..we are what we DO..do something to make it better.
Old 05-19-16, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just kind of got back into bike riding after a long (30+ years) break, so hadn't heard of the RoS until a few days ago. Our local one is about 30 miles from me, 8 miles down some very deserted bike trails off the road, will never be in view of motorists, and has had no promotion other than some word-of-mouth among bikers. They are planning on 20 people maybe. I may or may not go, really would rather ride in my own neighborhood and driving over an hour for a 8 mile ride is kind of . . . silly?

i hope next year, when I will be retired I can do something to promote this ride and the reasons behind it, maybe do a new one closer to town where it can get some media attention. Good cause, just poorly planned locally, so next year I hope to help some with the planning and execution of this. Those of you going out this year, thanks!
Old 05-19-16, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by wished
I just kind of got back into bike riding after a long (30+ years) break, so hadn't heard of the RoS until a few days ago. Our local one is about 30 miles from me, 8 miles down some very deserted bike trails off the road, will never be in view of motorists, and has had no promotion other than some word-of-mouth among bikers. They are planning on 20 people maybe. I may or may not go, really would rather ride in my own neighborhood and driving over an hour for a 8 mile ride is kind of . . . silly?

i hope next year, when I will be retired I can do something to promote this ride and the reasons behind it, maybe do a new one closer to town where it can get some media attention. Good cause, just poorly planned locally, so next year I hope to help some with the planning and execution of this. Those of you going out this year, thanks!
+1

Yeah..riding in a quiet neighborhood or on a off-road trail..whoever is leading the ride is sort of missing the point. It isn't that a group goes out and obstructs traffic..just that they are visible in traffic. We had info-signs on our backs about safety and equal rights/responsibilities. We had a fair amount of traffic around us. Drivers were respectful & we got a number of "thumbs up" as they drove by.

As for the "25 miles away & only 8-10 miles ride.." well.. it falls under a memorial / informing public / public safety umbrella so the general ride-logic on miles may not apply. The guy I rode with & I parked 8-10 miles away from the RoS start, rode to the RoS start, did the ride, and rode back to the truck. We got 25 miles in..reasonable for a later-evening ride...limited by sunset at 8:10 and daylight until 8:40.
Old 05-19-16, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
+1

Yeah..riding in a quiet neighborhood or on a off-road trail..whoever is leading the ride is sort of missing the point. It isn't that a group goes out and obstructs traffic..just that they are visible in traffic. We had info-signs on our backs about safety and equal rights/responsibilities. We had a fair amount of traffic around us. Drivers were respectful & we got a number of "thumbs up" as they drove by.

As for the "25 miles away & only 8-10 miles ride.." well.. it falls under a memorial / informing public / public safety umbrella so the general ride-logic on miles may not apply. The guy I rode with & I parked 8-10 miles away from the RoS start, rode to the RoS start, did the ride, and rode back to the truck. We got 25 miles in..reasonable for a later-evening ride...limited by sunset at 8:10 and daylight until 8:40.
What part of Racine? Ours started from the mall on hwy 31.
Old 05-19-16, 08:04 AM

I live in rural N Michigan (redundant, I know). In our area we have 3 in neighboring towns. I believe this to be very well done especially if we up here on the 45th have widespread participation. We have had newspaper and TV coverage through the years.
Old 05-19-16, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts
This is the first I've heard about the Ride of Silence, a day late. How come you're discussing it in the Fifty Plus forum? It seems relevant to all cyclists.
Old 05-19-16, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice write-up, canklecat. I agree with your points about the publicity. Had I not read of it here yesterday morning, I would not have even heard of it. And I totally agree with the part about speaking to the motorist.
Old 05-19-16, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RichSPK
This is the first I've heard about the Ride of Silence, a day late. How come you're discussing it in the Fifty Plus forum? It seems relevant to all cyclists.
Because I dont communicate on other forums as much. I didnt want to cross post.
Old 05-19-16, 07:16 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by fishboat
With respect to "..it starts so late that lights are needed.." Nonsense. Factually incorrect.

The report above where the group assumed the rights of a funeral procession..that needs to stop. The whole point is "same rights and responsibilities.." Riding through red lights and stopping traffic is completely counterproductive.
The Fort Worth ride was organized and coordinated with the city and a uniformed bicycle mounted police officer accompanied us. The ride was conducted as any motorcade, funeral procession of hearses or pedestrian parade would be done, which includes blocking intersections to allow the procession or group to remain together. It's safer all around for everyone, including drivers who don't need to worry about improvising.

The only problem was insufficient publicity and very visible notices during the ride so that drivers and pedestrians could tell at a glance what the massed group of cyclists was about. People can tell at a glance what a funeral procession or parade is, but not a group of cyclists. I'll offer a few suggestions for future group rides but I'm only a first time participant and don't have any real influence beyond just another guy with an opinion.

While your comment regarding lights was directed toward another poster, most of us did consider lights necessary for this year's Fort Worth ride. Besides starting 90 minutes before dark and finishing at twilight, it was a very murky, gray and drizzly evening so it seemed much darker than usual. I rode toward the back, usually nearest the edge of our lane closer to traffic (I'm actually more comfortable riding near vehicles than other cyclists -- inexperienced cyclists are much less predictable than most drivers) and had at least five taillights running, including one on the back of my helmet.

Last edited by canklecat; 05-19-16 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 08:09 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

One of the Fort Worth participants, Eugene Mazzurana, posted a short video showing the ride from various perspectives. You can see for yourself how well it was conducted by the various organizers and cat herders, and the city police officer who accompanied the group.

Video of Fort Worth's 2016 Ride of Silence.

At least one other Bike Forums member posted a bunch of photos to Facebook, so he may be willing to share a few here to show how the cat herders handled traffic stops.

I think it was handled pretty well. But a little more advance publicity and some clearly marked signs to wear on backs or bikes might have helped. I saw only one rider wearing a homemade sign describing the Ride of Silence.

And I saw at least one commemorate jersey for Megan Babb, the Fort Worth cyclist and Olympic hopeful who was killed while training in 2011.

According to that 2014 newspaper article:
Cycling fatalities in 2012 totaled 552, according to a report released Wednesday by the League of American Bicyclists. Of the riders, 40 percent were rear-ended, 10 percent were T-boned and 8 percent were hit head-on. Only 2 percent of deaths resulted from a cyclist’s failure to yield the right of way.
That pretty well matches my own experience with close calls and being struck by vehicles. Most were from behind, usually rear-ended at intersections -- four-way stop sign intersections were the worst.
Old 05-21-16, 09:39 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Late to the thread, but I was the ride leader for my small town club's 8th annual participation in the Ride of Silence. Partly due to my being so wrapped up in other things lately, I didn't do as much planning and promotion as I'd like to have and we only had 8 riders participating. But, as always, it was a moving and worthwhile way to honor and remember our fellow cyclists who have been injured or killed in collisions with cars while cycling. I was the only one in our group who was a veteran of such an injury, having been struck from behind by a distracted driver in 2010. Another rider in our group was the widow of a club member who was killed by a drunk driver while riding across the USA several years ago. The riders' ages covered a range from middle school student, college student, young adult to geezers like myself.

Our 5 mile route took us through the main streets of downtown, through a cemetery and through the Emergency Room entrance at the local hospital. I think everyone got something from the experience. I know I did. I'll be back next year and hopefully will do more to promote it.
Old 05-21-16, 07:41 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

If I participate next year I'll chat with the organizers about ways to promote the event better, before and during the ride. It wasn't publicized outside the cycling oriented social media groups. And I saw only one rider wearing anything that might explain the event -- but the sign on her back probably was lost amid the dozens of colorful jerseys emblazoned with logos.

Since I prefer to hang at the back of group rides and play caboose, I could carry full sized flyers and hand them out as I encounter stopped drivers or pedestrians. The group moved slowly enough that even I could sprint to catch up again. And if I'm at the back of the pack again, a sign on my back, and possibly stretched between the frame diamond, might offer a bit more of a clue about the group ride's intent.

A few pix from this year's event in Fort Worth. So many other folks were snapping pix and videos I put my camera away for a change. Usually I take hundreds of photos at any event, but occasionally it's nice to just be there and not experience everything through a lens.

In the above photo, the fellow in the pink jersey (and riding an all-pink bike) at the far end, top, slightly above the crowd, was Chris Babb (an organizer, speaking just before the ride), father of Megan Babb who was struck and killed by a vehicle in 2011 while training. Looking at photos taken by other folks I can see maybe half a dozen cyclists wearing those same pink commemorative jerseys with Megan's photo. So this is a very personal event for some folks.
_______

Last edited by canklecat; 05-21-16 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 05-22-16, 06:22 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here in Lincoln Ne. we had about 100 riders of all ages.
Old 05-22-16, 06:41 AM

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by nashvillebill
Nice write-up, canklecat. I agree with your points about the publicity. Had I not read of it here yesterday morning, I would not have even heard of it. And I totally agree with the part about speaking to the motorist.
Agreed on publicity. Bike to work week/day seemed to be in my face for weeks including maps for refuelling stations etc. I just saw Ride of Silence catching an update to this thread this morning.