Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Here we go, it's going to be 112 on Sunday.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts

That means a 4am get up, so I can be out the door at sunrise to hopefully get in 30-40 mile ride before it gets too hot for man or beast.

This time of year is our equivalent of winter here in Az. A lot of people here do night rides during the summer, but I don't ride in the dark, so it's interval time at the gym for me.
Old 06-02-16, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
It’s “only” going to be 100+- here this weekend. 60’s and rain today.Good thing I have a cold so I won’t be tempted to go out riding in the heat.

SP
OC, OR

Old 06-02-16, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine lives in Tempe and told me stories about the soft rubber parts of his car melting in the heat out there. I know "it's a dry heat" and you can adapt, but I can't imagine even walking around in the sun when it's that hot.

It's hovering around 100 in parts of California this week. I'll be at the gym!
Old 06-02-16, 12:14 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
High 80s in Seattle this weekend.
Gonna be another hot summer in the PNW (my guess), even with La Niña taking over.
Old 06-02-16, 12:24 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
I rather like the heat. Much preferable to cold or wet, IMHO. Drink lots of water, keep your electrolytes in check, and go for it. Gotta be careful when it gets above 110, though.

I found myself riding up East Fork (a climb up here in the San Gabriel Mountains) in 116 degree weather a few years ago. The road temperature on my VDO registered 122 degrees.

Oy. Lovin the heat or not, I'll not do that again. That was stupid.

Old 06-02-16, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's almost worth the cold winters to pay for the moderate summers here in Michigan. Mid-Michigan gets an average of 6 days per year where it gets 90F or above. For the most part, summer is perfect riding weather. Many years ago, my (former) employer sent me to S. California for training -- every August. In the upper valleys east of LA it got 112-115F every day. I hated it, but I learned to deal with it.
Old 06-02-16, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
As they say, "it's a dry heat" but in reality, I can dress for the cold here in the Catskills of NYS, but you just can't dress for that kind of hot.
Old 06-02-16, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yeah, "dry heat" is what's in my oven. Lack of humidity does not make it better, it just prevents things from being even worse.
Old 06-02-16, 02:28 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I kinda like the heat, but you still have to be smart about it. I slow down a bit, break rule #52 and take a break in the shade if feel like I need it.
Old 06-02-16, 02:34 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yeah, "dry heat" is what's in my oven. Lack of humidity does not make it better, it just prevents things from being even worse.
I dunno. At least your sweat can evaporate in "dry heat."
Old 06-02-16, 02:34 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Vegas Valley will stay a moderate 105. Dang I hate this heat.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-02-16, 02:35 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
As they say, "it's a dry heat" but in reality, I can dress for the cold here in the Catskills of NYS, but you just can't dress for that kind of hot.
Yea, you need a permit t ride naked!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-02-16, 03:24 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Finished today's ride about 1pm, Apple Weather showed 95º, the thermometer on the patio giving 101º. It's still early-season heat, so it doesn't have that persistence of the real summer heat yet. Next two days are both forecast for 104º, I'm shooting to have my rides in the books before 10am.
Old 06-02-16, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
I've lived in high, dry Central Oregon (4000', ~10% humidity) and now in the Portland area (sea level-ish 50+% humidity).

Say what you will, but the highs and lows are more tolerable over there than they are here. Guess I'm just a "thin, dry air" kind of guy.

SP
OC,OR
Old 06-02-16, 05:51 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I guess we west central Florida folks are "lucky". On Sunday it's only going to be 72F with 99% humidity at sunrise and 81F with 85% humidity at 9AM. The high for the day will be a balmy 89F with a chance of showers. Today was hotter. it got up to 95F at 4:30PM for the "after work" rides. That's why in the hot months we get out early.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-03-16, 07:41 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I rather like the heat. Much preferable to cold or wet, IMHO. Drink lots of water, keep your electrolytes in check, and go for it. Gotta be careful when it gets above 110, though.

I found myself riding up East Fork (a climb up here in the San Gabriel Mountains) in 116 degree weather a few years ago. The road temperature on my VDO registered 122 degrees.

Oy. Lovin the heat or not, I'll not do that again. That was stupid.
Yeah. I learned my lesson two summers ago. Headed out for a century from Palmdale up to Tehachapi and half way up the grade by the windmills, I started feeling pretty awful. Water in the bottles was hot enough to make tea! After a few more miles, I decided that 'something was not right' and turned around to head back home. I ended up limping the whole way home, stopping at every convenience store to purchase cold water and try to recover.

Even had a postal lady in her little truck coming up the road toward me stop and say, "hey, do you want some cold water". I must have look 'that' bad. When I finally got home, the thermometer read 105º. Pretty sure I was suffering from heat exhaustion, and getting close to heat stroke. Now, if the forecast shows it is going to be more than 95º or so, I'll pack up the bike and drive out to Ventura and ride along the ocean. Going from the Pacific View Mall in Ventura to the pier in Santa Barbara makes for a nice metric century, especially since we don't have to ride on the freeway anymore.

Folks, this is serious. When it is hot, don't push yourselves so much and be sure to stay hydrated. (In low-humidity regions, you won't realize how much you are sweating because it evaporates as soon as it exits your skin.)
Old 06-03-16, 07:43 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
If the local witch doctors, weather forecasters, are right we got ya beat. Supposedly up to 117F in parts of PHX.
Old 06-03-16, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
If the local witch doctors, weather forecasters, are right we got ya beat. Supposedly up to 117F in parts of PHX.
Yep, WeatherUnderground is showing 118 in Ahwatukee. And my grandson might have a baseball game tomorrow afternoon. Yikes! 6 year old kids standing in the sun!
Old 06-03-16, 09:21 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Yeah. I learned my lesson two summers ago. Headed out for a century from Palmdale up to Tehachapi and half way up the grade by the windmills, I started feeling pretty awful. Water in the bottles was hot enough to make tea! After a few more miles, I decided that 'something was not right' and turned around to head back home. I ended up limping the whole way home, stopping at every convenience store to purchase cold water and try to recover.

Even had a postal lady in her little truck coming up the road toward me stop and say, "hey, do you want some cold water". I must have look 'that' bad. When I finally got home, the thermometer read 105º. Pretty sure I was suffering from heat exhaustion, and getting close to heat stroke. Now, if the forecast shows it is going to be more than 95º or so, I'll pack up the bike and drive out to Ventura and ride along the ocean. Going from the Pacific View Mall in Ventura to the pier in Santa Barbara makes for a nice metric century, especially since we don't have to ride on the freeway anymore.

Folks, this is serious. When it is hot, don't push yourselves so much and be sure to stay hydrated. (In low-humidity regions, you won't realize how much you are sweating because it evaporates as soon as it exits your skin.)
Good advice.

I actually did OK. It wasn't until I got home and looked at a selfie I took that I realized how hot I really was. My face was BEET red, and that is not normal for me. While I was on the climb, my thought was that if I started to overheat, I could just head down the mountain and take an easier way back. Problem is, once you get heat stroke, your body really the capability to cool off, and it can spiral out of control very quickly.

Hey, next time you feel like riding on the coast, give me a holler. I'll give you the Tour de PV.

Old 06-03-16, 10:17 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in a conflict with heat since I really like heat better than cold yet I seem to ride better (stronger/faster) in cold than in heat. End of last year we had two double centuries (Bass Lake Powerhouse and Oceanside / Borrego) with the same high temp: 108 Deg.F.

Both doubles were well supported so plenty of water and ice available, so no problem for me, even with the heat. At the base of Montezuma Grade in Borrego Springs it was 108 but by the time we hit the summit it was a much cooler 88! If I remember correctly, that climb is 12 miles and it took a bit over an hour and a half.

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-03-16, 01:42 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Supposed to be 76F for a couple days here, which is nice. May was weird as heck, we had a bit of snow halfways through the month, then it hit 90F 2 weeks later, with about a week in the 80s. So this 70s weather actually feels pretty darned good. This weekend is ribfest, too, so I'll probably get fat & lazy.
Old 06-03-16, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Seven Alaris custom road bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
Good advice.

I actually did OK. It wasn't until I got home and looked at a selfie I took that I realized how hot I really was. My face was BEET red, and that is not normal for me. While I was on the climb, my thought was that if I started to overheat, I could just head down the mountain and take an easier way back. Problem is, once you get heat stroke, your body really the capability to cool off, and it can spiral out of control very quickly.
Heat sickness is pretty serious. When I had it, the first think I noticed was no sweat on my arms. I started a little headache. This was half-way through a century, and I was almost at the lunch rest stop. A few minutes later when I arrived at the stop, I felt so bad all I could do was lie down. I had a raging headache and felt nauseous. This lasted the rest of the day. Almost worse was the fact that I was extremely sensitive to heat for a couple of years after that.

So I watch for that sweat on my arms. :-) But I find that no matter how much water I drink or how many electrolyte pills I take, at some point I can't take it any more. 80 degrees to start a climb is borderline, given the heat that radiates from the road.
Old 06-03-16, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My weather app indicates we should ( near Seattle ) see 95 on Sunday . Guess I'll be riding early morning then .
Old 06-03-16, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I may finally get to ride without tights and five top layers tomorrow as we get what is known as a heat wave here in the PNW (95F, but don't blink or you'll miss it). Since we like to roll out on the tandem as soon as the drunks land, about 3:00 AM, I'm still looking at multiple layers for the ~50F sunrise temperatures in the coast range, but at least I get to shed them for the homeward portion of our morning century.
Old 06-03-16, 10:27 PM

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Volpe and 15 Yr Old Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It reached 85 today here in the Willamette Valley and I rode early in the morning while it was cool. It's supposed to hit 100 tomorrow. I'll wait till early Sunday morning to ride again. It's only supposed to hit 96 on that day. With the days being long and me being an early riser I can go out as early as need be and take a nap later in the day. I don't miss the humid summers of NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.