Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally-Oregon to Boston starting this weekend!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Finally-Oregon to Boston starting this weekend!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Whatever you do,enjoy the trip and don't worry too much about 'schedule'.

Don't be afraid to deviate from your 'US20 coast-to-coast' route. Some portions may have better alternatives - like for scenery, less traffic, access tocampgrounds, interesting things to do, etc.

Most importantly -- ENJOY THE RIDE!!! Good luck!!
As a former cycle tourist including a cross-country ride, your advice reminds me of a favorite quote I had bookmarked years ago, that expresses IMO the essence of cycle-touring:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A thought or two, based on personal experience....

Also, what's the hurry? One of the joys of touring is the singleness of purpose and absence of demands. All you have to do is get there: you don't have to get there fast or get their first - and if you are touring with camping gear, odds are you can be incredibly flexible about what "getting there" means on any given day. Embrace that. Don't let your tour become an exercise in trading one rat-race for another.
As a corollary, I recently discussed on a thread about Centuries:
Originally Posted by Biker395
… I think it's human nature to be goal oriented. And at the end of a long ride,you find yourself counting off the miles as if there is some kind of goal to be achieved. Mentally, that negatively affects your enjoyment.

One day, I got to thinking: I love cycling. I think about it when I should be thinking about other things (e.g. work). I sit around and look at pictures of my friends and I on our cycling adventures. Given all that WHY am I ticking off the last few miles as if I'm glad to be done with it?
So instead, I try to focus on being in the moment and enjoying what I'm doing.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I’m a mileage junkie and I like to think of the century as five 20-mile rides …Nonetheless, @Biker395, your comment about being in the moment is well said. I can remember being on long tours thinking to myself that when I get back to work, sitting at a desk, how I’ll wish I was back out here on the Road.
Not to be premature, but regarding the end of this cross-country trip, I consider Rte 20 an OK route into Boston for the last few miles, but outside the Rte 128 beltway, it’s not a favorite. Rather, about five miles north of it is a premier route that includes such sites as Walden Pond, Lexington and Concord, and the popular 11 mile long Minuteman Bikepath that would take you into Harvard Square in Cambridge, past MIT, and into Boston's elegant Back Bay.

So we'll all stay tuned for further details.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-16-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 03:24 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Anybody got a good bike route through Chicago???
I would avoid the western suburbs of Chicago, there are few safe roads in the western suburbs. I would also avoid crossing most of Chicago from west to east, it's impossible due to traffic and a general lack of safety. The lakefront is better all around. Travel along the Illinois-Wisconsin border and use these two Mapmyride routes.

This is a safe and scenic route from Wisconsin to Indiana that I've ridden on my bike many times: 70 miles Wisconsin to the Indiana Border in Pleasant Prairie, WI, United States | MapMyRide

And this map takes you from Chicago to Michigan across Northern Indiana, I've also ridden most of this route: 67 miles Illinois to Michigan in Whiting, IN, United States | MapMyRide

I would also recommend avoiding Chicago. Either ride along the Wisconsin-Illinois border and use the Milwaukee to Michigan ferry, see: LAKE EXPRESS - LAKE MICHIGAN'S HIGH SPEED FERRY - Lake Express - Lake Michigan's high speed ferry

...or cross central Illinois and Indiana, but it will be flat and boring.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-20-16 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-19-16, 05:12 PM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 377 Posts
If you start in Newport, OR, I suggest finishing in, or at least riding through, Newport, RI. Then go on to Boston.

I wish you the best of luck on your trip - great health, great weather, and great reliability from your bikes and car.

And congratulations on your grandchild! Grandkids are among the few things in life which are even better than biking.
Old 08-19-16, 05:35 PM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Great Epic. Forty years ago to nearly today I'd just returned from a 4000 mile Seattle to New York ride mostly through Canada with a slight diversion south of the Great Lakes. Ride safe!
Old 08-19-16, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
Great Epic. Forty years ago to nearly today I'd just returned from a 4000 mile Seattle to New York ride mostly through Canada with a slight diversion south of the Great Lakes. Ride safe!
Epic (life epic) is a good word for a cross-country bike ride. Back in 1977 my long-term GF, now new wife and I rode our honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington DC. It was the start of a new life and careers for us in Boston. Now on our anniversary of April 30, I start to recall, almost daily, where we were we on the Road on that particular day, up to July 1.