Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mental block or just lazy RE NOT riding nearly enough.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mental block or just lazy RE NOT riding nearly enough.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 08:24 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I go through phases when I bike less and hike more, and phases when I bike a ton and hike a little. Sounds like you are still getting good exercise. Be proud of yourself for that, relax, and do what you are enjoying. If biking is a passion n, the joy will return.
Old 02-10-17, 05:40 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've always used winter to change it up a bit, by hiking, xc skiing, snow shoeing... For me, it renews and refreshes me, and gets me ready for spring. I still get in an occasional ride outside, but not a priority in the winter months. Works for me!
Old 02-10-17, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys. I have been doing extra swim workouts, which is nice. But I'm going to make a real effort to go home tonight, get my gear and clothes around, and ride early in the morning tomorrow, even if it's just 10-15 miles (less than 10 isn't worth it, IMHO, takes longer to get ready to ride <=10 than it does to ride <=10). Hopefully I can do 20 - that is about my limit for the next few weeks on Saturdays only because I am taking my dog to a training class on Saturday mornings at the local middle school.
Old 02-10-17, 09:48 AM
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
upNyrs

OLD people on 2 wheels are curiosities to cagers ... i'm OLD ... i still ride ( tour ) a Z1000 moto and bike as much as possible ... it doesn't get easier but what was once taken for granted now gives Xtra satisfaction
Old 02-10-17, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Every spring I have to force myself to start riding again in the evenings. After a long winter of not riding, I have to change my whole evening routine. But after a few weeks, it gets easier and pretty soon I feel antsy if I can't do them.
Old 02-10-17, 12:50 PM

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I've created a goal (2 really) by signing up for two double centuries this year, Feb. 18th and Mar. 18th. So to prepare I've ridden four centuries so far in 2017, but bundled up pretty well on all of them. After riding zero doubles in '16 this could be challenging; I'll have to see how it goes.

The point is; sign up for an event that you're not totally sure you can do and the training bug will get you out on the bike a lot more often. Well, works for me anyway. May work for you!

Rick / OCRR
I'm with Rick on this one, 2015 was a big year for me and after having a lingering sickness for too long in 2016, I had a very slow start until I signed up for the local Cool Breeze Century climbing ride. It was a pretty stout step up for me especially in elevation so I got super motivated to get out and ride. I had a couple of goals for the beginning of this year that would have dragged me out, but family stuff thwarted one of them and I'm again getting a slow start. A potential opportunity to do a 300km brevet in early April may be just what I need to push me out there!

I'm still wanting to get out midweek for an evening ride but it's been cold (for us!) and wet and it's just too easy to say "next week".

A riding partner is often huge as well. I know a few years ago I had one and when one was on the fence the other was gung ho, so I rode more than not just because I didn't want to be "that guy" to back out.

Good luck. I think your battle is one we all face, often. The fix is getting on the bike. Once I'm on I'm so glad I'm on! Like many things, it's the mental not physical battles that are the toughest.
Old 02-10-17, 01:13 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@Rick@OCRR - had the same thought, I'll probably sign up for the Tour de Cure again in early June, and at least one or two other events for the summer. Thought about signing up for a May Tri close to my house, but I can't deal with extremely cold lake water, and they are predicting a colder, later spring than normal.

@HBCruiser1 - I would love to find a riding partner, but unfortunately, my schedule just never meshes with anyone else's. But never say never.
Old 02-13-17, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Burn out. I went through burn out when I was doing a lot of touring, endurance and some competitive riding. I didn't feel bad or sad, just, all of a sudden, not very interested. I was riding a bunch and no longer truly enjoying it.

One day, from a curb, I picked up an abandoned, old, Schwinn frame and spent some time making a working bicycle from it. When finished, I realized that I just wanted to ride casually, running errands, to and from work, through the neighborhood, to the pub, visiting friends, to church etc. I eventually donated that old Varsity, but, just last week found an exact copy of that frame and turned it into the old bike's doppelgänger.

My "tastebuds" just changed. I needed to change my "type" of riding as I now am practically glued to my legion of bicycle seats/pedals/handlebars casually riding around my city, rain, snow, sun, cold or hot. Weather has never been a deterrent, except, tornadoes and ice/sleet. I don't regret the change, but, I know, everyone has their own situation.

Long story short: I was burned out, lost interest, and needed a change. Nothing wrong with change. There are no life rules that say you have to keep doing the same thing.
Old 02-13-17, 05:18 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm trying to resist that antsy feeling from not riding. Now that I've gotten into the habit it's harder to take a couple of days off even when I need to.

After falling and banging up my ribs on the 5th I've ridden three times -- 4, 10 and 20 miles -- and while the pain wasn't too bad during the rides it was excruciating that night and the next day.

Probably overdoing it when I should rest. And I'm going to the clinic tomorrow. Usually I wouldn't bother since there isn't much they can do about bruised or broken ribs, but the pain should have subsided a bit by now, more than a week later.
Old 02-13-17, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargeon
So stop riding. Why fight yourself? Sell the bike, buy some beer, potochips and a new couch.
Yep, this

Sounds like you are just mentally beat down or bored with the riding thing. You are doing plenty of other exercise, riding is not the end all be all. Exercise ought to be something you enjoy and look forward to and is half the equation. The other half might just be accepting where you are, is...where you are, adjust and move on.

That said
My experience has been mental fatigue is head and shoulders more complicated and difficult to overcome then physical fatigue. Physical fatigue feels good, replenishes the soul while the body repairs itself. Mental fatigue is a thief in the night, robbing you of motivation and inspiration to challenge your physical self. Acceptance and distance may reignite your desire to ride again.
Old 02-14-17, 06:07 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
When spring weather arrives the childhood passions to ride are reignited. How about making your rides less strenuous? Do it for fun. Ride to outlying towns to rediscover the interest of exploring new places? Change up the routes. Plan a trip, toss in a new bike, trim the routine.
Old 02-14-17, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
With temps in the mid-40s and the sun out, I rushed home, threw on my bike duds, and did a quick... 5 miles. The sun was just going behind the trees when I rolled back in the driveway. I hate winter.
Old 02-14-17, 09:02 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I agree with the people who say don't fight it.

Maybe take up trail running or something else that interests.

I took off cycling for a few years and took Salsa dancing lessons.

-Tim-
Old 02-14-17, 09:37 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stoplight
Yep, this

Sounds like you are just mentally beat down or bored with the riding thing. You are doing plenty of other exercise, riding is not the end all be all. Exercise ought to be something you enjoy and look forward to and is half the equation. The other half might just be accepting where you are, is...where you are, adjust and move on.

That said
My experience has been mental fatigue is head and shoulders more complicated and difficult to overcome then physical fatigue. Physical fatigue feels good, replenishes the soul while the body repairs itself. Mental fatigue is a thief in the night, robbing you of motivation and inspiration to challenge your physical self. Acceptance and distance may reignite your desire to ride again.
Thanks for this, I appreciate it. You are right, it is a mental more than physical thing. I had a Dr's appt yesterday with a lot of routine labs plus some more specific ones they run to monitor my anemia,, when results come I believe everything will be in acceptable levels. And controlling that is simple - remember to take iron, get regular B12 shots, take other oral B vitamins. No big deal there.

So it's really not physical other than ... aging??? Yikes ... maybe I'm just at a point where I can't handle the pace as well as I did.

That being said, exercise has been a big thing in my life for a lot of years, because it's really the only effective way I control my weight and blow off a lot of stress. And I really do love doing it, it's a godsend, and I'm definitely not bored with it - in fact, been really enjoying pushing myself in the pool lately, which is something else I've neglected for a while.

So this -- I'm going to sign up for a few events - charity rides or races - so I have a reason why I need to get back out there. And try to plan a good Saturday ride this weekend, weather here is going to unbelievable for February, more like early April, so they say.
Old 02-14-17, 05:54 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
This is a very ILLOGICAL thing - because I have a great selection of bikes to ride, all of the gear I need, and have been passionate about this sport for a very long time. What gives, and why can't I break this?
Really? It seems entirely logical, genuine to me.

I am having a blast riding a ridiculous crank forward cruiser now on 20 miles r/ts, (and running 3-4 times a week). I have six nice bikes that are perma-parked, and I used to be an avid day and nighttime rider, at least a metric century every week. Hey, preferences change; we are not computers apps. I am getting a better core and upper thigh workout on that cruiser, sipping a Starbuck flat white on the way to the gym, maximizing fun and not miles.

And...there is something wrong, illogical with this because it breaks with past practices?

Maybe you're finding cold riding to be boorish & unpleasant. Most do....