Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Looking for comfy gloves

Old 03-06-17, 04:50 PM
goingdownhill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for comfy gloves

Hi Everyone, new guy here. Years ago I bought a pair of Trico Sports gel pad gloves and have loved them. Apparently loved them too much, they are in bad shape. Anyone have suggestions for gloves with lots of gel padding? I have arthritis in my hands and simply cannot ride with regular or lightly padded gloves. Can't locate any Trico dealers. Thanks!
Old 03-06-17, 05:40 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I got my favorite pair of gloves at........sit down for this one........ oh you probably are sitting at your computer...........

Walmart, $10. If you are in Canada, then my second favorite pair of gloves are from MEC. Good luck, and welcome to the Forum!
Old 03-06-17, 07:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
I always found that stiff padding was more helpful than soft or gel padding. But then I got into recumbents and only wear gloves to protect my palms on the off-chance that I end up on the pavement.
Old 03-06-17, 09:03 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Try adding mole skin to the inside of the gloves over the areas already padded. I did that to my Giro gels and really like the results.
Old 03-06-17, 10:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Bontrager RXL Gel, long my favorite glove.
Old 03-06-17, 10:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7755 Post(s)
For winter riding, I just ride using the most waterproof, high visibility ski gloves I can find.

For summer riding, I'm generally gloveless.

I ride drop bars, and have found flat top aero bars nice for riding (too much time on the tops), as well as the new ergo brake levers. Fizik is supposed to have 3mm thick bar tape, although haven't tried it yet. And, it looks like there is a 3.2mm LizardSkin tape.
Old 03-07-17, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
I'm still satisfied with Louis Garneau Biogel RX summer weight gloves. Plenty of gel foam type pads over pressure spots, and the pads seem to be in good shape after nearly a year of use. Comfortable around my skinny achy wrist bones, tough and durable leatherette palms and wear points, cool mesh fabric tops. They wash easily too -- I was 'em every few uses, depending on weather and how much I sweat. I'll probably buy another pair this year to switch off with the older pair.

I'm also going to get some ergo palm shelf grips for my mountain bike. I've had ergo grips on the comfort hybrid all along and they're really comfortable on long rides and bumpy roads. The mountain bike has stiff foam rubber grips with similar feeling "give", but lacking the palm shelf ergo support I usually have some minor aching after 10 mile or longer rides on rough roads.
Old 03-07-17, 12:54 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
I don't know if these gloves will work for you or not. I have arthritis in my thumbs and pressure in that area, after riding in the hoods for a long time, really hurts. Over the last 3-4 years, I have been using Specialized BG Gel or BG Pro gloves and they have done wonders for my riding. The main difference in the two is that the Pro has a different type of material in the palm area and costs around $5.00 more.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress