Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New knee and new bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New knee and new bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New knee and new bike

Hi folks. I'm happy to find a community of cyclists that are "very seasoned" like me. I'm 54 years old, and used to ride a lot in younger years. But a terrible left knee pulled me out of cycling and hiking for several years. I'm now 10 weeks TKR post op and have a new, left knee. I'm excited about getting back on the bike, losing 15 pounds, and getting serious again about senior cycling. I have started to ride my old beater 1995 Trek (I gave my nice carbon road bike to my son last year). Very weak quads etc that need rehab- but Im pushing the pedals around and did 5 miles Sunday. Im also using my old Lemond stationary trainer every day for range of motion.

But last night, I went to my LBS and pulled the trigger on a new Specialized Diverge Elite DSW. Wow what a bike! I needed that new shiny object to help keep up the motivation I plan on using it for a little of everything- rehab, road, centuries, gravel trips, even light touring.

Glad I found this forum and look forward to learning a lot, since I had almost given up on my cycling prospects the past few years. Any other TKRs out there?
Old 03-29-17, 02:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I bet the knee cost more than the bike.
Old 03-29-17, 02:38 PM

Bikes: FX 2 Disc Stagger, jamis divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had both knees replaced 3 years apart and got a new bike after each one.
Old 03-29-17, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes- the knee cost more But it's got good components! Hey civic04, how have the new knees done on the bike for you?
Old 03-30-17, 03:02 PM

Bikes: FX 2 Disc Stagger, jamis divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a problem with either knee, Dr. tells me to ride as much as i want, the last knee i had done 3 years ago would swell up after a 10-15 mile ride but that only lasted a month or so.
Old 03-30-17, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im 9 weeks out of surgery and still working on my range of motion. The bike helps a bunch. Also started by using a set of orthopedals, which mount to cranks, and give you 4 shorter mm pedal options. Really cool product. orthopedal.com
Old 03-30-17, 08:25 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Congratulations on the new ... whatever

Seriously, it is a good story to hear and I am sure you will enjoy the Diverge immensely.
Old 03-30-17, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well I guess I'm a future patient - had not so much pain as weakness, instability and a sense it would "catch" and then break lose - in my left knee. So I went to see an ortho guy last August - kinda shocked when he said there is no cartilage left to speak of, so eventually probably under the knife unless there is some miracle cure announced first.

So, @ironknee, which color did you get, the black/redor tbe orange?
Old 03-30-17, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Congratulations on the new hardware! And welcome to the forum.
Old 03-30-17, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Well I guess I'm a future patient - had not so much pain as weakness, instability and a sense it would "catch" and then break lose - in my left knee. So I went to see an ortho guy last August - kinda shocked when he said there is no cartilage left to speak of, so eventually probably under the knife unless there is some miracle cure announced first.

So, @ironknee, which color did you get, the black/redor tbe orange?
I went wth the Moto Orange. Probably would have done black- but this was the last 2016 they had- it fit, and they had it marked down 20%. They also agreed to swap Tiagra cranks out for me- from stock 172.5mm down to 165mm Tiagra cranks- good for spinning that knee!

So now Ive got to tone down my helmet- my canary yellow lid combined with the Orange is too hard on the eyes for even me!
Old 03-31-17, 12:04 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice! Hey, you got a good deal and it definitely ups the visibility on the road. Personally I love orange bikes. I have a 2015 Sp. CruX Expert which has a similar orange with red accents frame but more red. I was drooling over the 2016 Tarmac Comp limited edition Torch they put out to promote the Rio Olympics but I didn't need it - also "Moto Orange" just like yours.

That will definitely give you incentive to work out the new knee. Well done, sir!
Old 03-31-17, 04:39 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
New MATH

new knee = new bike

2 new knees = 2 new bikes
Old 03-31-17, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There are more than a few folks here who have had knee replacements and continue to cycle at whatever level works for them. My only disappointment with my 2 TKRs is that I expected the protheses to be titanium so they would match my bike, but instead I received cobalt-chromium replacement joints. Life is tough......
Old 03-31-17, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have been getting minor pain after almost every bike ride. Taking Turmeric supplements and they have really helped a lot. I was about ready to see an Ortho about my knee pain.
At what point does one seriously consider TKR? I'm glad to read that those that have had it done can still ride. Has it hindered anyone in any way, on or off the bike (once recovered)?
Old 03-31-17, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
I have been getting minor pain after almost every bike ride. Taking Turmeric supplements and they have really helped a lot. I was about ready to see an Ortho about my knee pain.
At what point does one seriously consider TKR? I'm glad to read that those that have had it done can still ride. Has it hindered anyone in any way, on or off the bike (once recovered)?
Thanks everyone for the support. Didn't get to ride today as it has rained maybe 2 inches here. And my new bike is still at the LBS getting refined. I did get a fitting today for it- pretty cool computerized stuff they used. New shoes and pedals too. Went with mountain bike shoes and a pedal thats flat on one side and that you can click into on the other- very cool. New more upright stem (for my creaky neck), a different saddle, putting on 165mm cranks, and also a 36 cassette on back for major granny gear- I live in some big mountains.

About the knee:

I've been told by my OS that I really cant hurt this new joint unless I get into stuff like basketball or tennis- quick lateral pounding = bad for new knee's life expectancy. Cycling is supposed to be the absolute best- except for maybe swimming- but who the hell wants to do that?? And I hate jogging too.

My knee got really bad. I had bone on bone, lots of bone spur formations, and my leg started to bow out and deform. It was old football injuries from high school and college that started the whole thing. I got to where I only had about 95 degrees of bend. Now only 10 weeks out of surgery I have 107 and will get more in the next few months.

If you are bone on bone, and having big pain doing things you love, its time. Don't give up what you love. I gave up a lot of activities in my forties because of my knee. But now- I'm ready to take them up again.

I've read that guys with new knees- some on here too- aren't really limited at all cycling- if anything they are better than pre op. So I'm counting on that!

Last edited by ironknee; 03-31-17 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-31-17, 04:15 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ironknee
Thanks everyone for the support.
If you are bone on bone, and having big pain doing things you love, its time. Don't give up what you love. I gave up a lot of activities in my forties because of my knee. But now- I'm ready to take them up again.
A close friend of mine had his cartridge replaced with a cadavers and he is feeling like a kid again. Did you have this option or was the damage to your joint past this stage?
I think the Turmeric is helping a lot but maybe I should still see my Orthopedic for his opinion.
Thanks
Old 03-31-17, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
There are more than a few folks here who have had knee replacements and continue to cycle at whatever level works for them. My only disappointment with my 2 TKRs is that I expected the protheses to be titanium so they would match my bike, but instead I received cobalt-chromium replacement joints. Life is tough......
@metalheart I have the cobalt chromium too! And some new fangled spacer made out of vitamin E infused polyethylene. Titanium would have been lighter for cycling weight
Old 03-31-17, 04:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
A close friend of mine had his cartridge replaced with a cadavers and he is feeling like a kid again. Did you have this option or was the damage to your joint past this stage?
I think the Turmeric is helping a lot but maybe I should still see my Orthopedic for his opinion.
Thanks
My joint didn't even look like a joint anymore I'll try to post an Xray pic. Not sure if Im smart enough too, but will try - pretty interesting.
Old 03-31-17, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before and after- can you tell which is which?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170228_133436_resized.jpg (96.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-31-17, 04:47 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5858 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,507 Posts
The simple truth is that your weak quads may be your best friend. Don't focus on getting stronger, instead focus on getting faster with higher cadence at lower pedal force.

You don't have to be strong to ride a bike. That's what gears are for, so work on that cadence, and don't overmuscle the knees, which may be how you got into trouble the first time around.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-31-17, 05:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The simple truth is that your weak quads may be your best friend. Don't focus on getting stronger, instead focus on getting faster with higher cadence at lower pedal force.

You don't have to be strong to ride a bike. That's what gears are for, so work on that cadence, and don't overmuscle the knees, which may be how you got into trouble the first time around.
How I got in trouble the first time was being a 200 pound strong safety in college, and taking on 260 pound pulling guards on the gridiron- and being crazy enough (or dumb enough) to keep doing it

Cadence is king from now on!
Old 04-01-17, 07:54 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
One of my old buddies is speedskating on his new 'triathlon' knee.
Old 04-01-17, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its amazing what people are doing with their new hardware. I know a guy who went back to competing in TRIs after his TKR. I'm going to use it as an new lease on life and try to get serious about training again- I'd like to do a lot of cycling and mix in plenty of hiking and light backpacking. I also compete in archery and want to do some HIIT training with body weight exercises and hill climbs. I'm terrible on skates- and would probably end up with another orthopedic train wreck if I strapped some on