Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cyclemeter App

Old 05-11-18, 11:04 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Cyclemeter App

Just curious if anyone else uses this handy app? I got hooked on it about 5 years ago and use it for everything from track history, distance, elevation, calories burned, time, etc. It's a great app for cycling and is free. I upgraded to the Elite version and use it each time I ride.
Old 05-11-18, 12:04 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
I use it as well but I'm not serious about tracking everything and don't have HR or Cadence sensors. Haven't even set up an online account for storing all the data. Mostly use to see how far I've gone when trying a new route or how many miles per week or YTD.
Old 05-11-18, 05:41 PM
rm512

Bikes: 2015 Lynskey

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Use it, like it
Old 05-11-18, 06:09 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
I used it for cycling for about five years and before my RFLKT died on me. My wife also uses it with her RFLKT. I now use a Wahoo Bolt for a bike computer but continue to use Cyclemeter to store all my rides.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-11-18, 07:50 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Not heard of it. Tell us about it, please.
Old 05-12-18, 10:16 AM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I've been using it about 5 years too. Lots of functionality. Customizable display, and you can set up the voice prompt for intervals or to help stay in a HR range. On repeats of routes there are icons that show fastest, and slowest pace you've done on the map display so you can race yourself if you want to. If you use it on an IPhone cloud backup of the data is automatic. GPS based speed seems to be about as accurate as with a wheel based device but that's probably also dependent on which phone it's running on. It works well for hiking and other activities too.

There are two things I'd like to see them improve. Much of the time I'll leave the house with no fixed plan or change my mind and end up doing a previous route. It doesn't give you the ability to rename a "new route" to an existing route name.
it does have the capability to have multiple bikes selectable and keeps track of the mileage for each, but having a way to keep maintenance notes for each would be a handy feature.
Old 05-12-18, 07:13 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
When I started cycling again last year, I started with MapMyRide. Then I dug up my old Garmin 500 and I've been using that with Garmin Connect. I didn't want to use a phone app on my bar because it rains all the time here in the summer and I've cooked a few iPhones in the Florida rain. From the reviews, I kind of wish I had started up using this app.
Old 05-12-18, 07:51 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
I think it's the best of the iPhone as bike computer apps but it's not as good as a real bike computer tied into Strava. My big gripe was the calorie burn number was about 2X all the others.

So now, I use whatever device makes sense for my workout (skiing, cycling, etc...) and make sure that they upload into Apple Health and other apps that make sense (Strava for cycling). Then the apps that need that data can use it. I think there are now much better ways of doing this than an phone bike app. I used to be an evangelist for Cyclemeter too.

J.
Old 05-12-18, 10:34 PM
Wheever 

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I've been using cyclemeter for years. It's a great app. Has everything I want and uploads to Strava. It configures well with my wahoo thingy that displays speed and other pertinent data. (I can't remember what the darn thing is called right now. Lol.)
Old 05-13-18, 12:37 PM
John_V 

Originally Posted by TGT1 View Post
I've been using it about 5 years too. Lots of functionality. Customizable display, and you can set up the voice prompt for intervals or to help stay in a HR range. On repeats of routes there are icons that show fastest, and slowest pace you've done on the map display so you can race yourself if you want to. If you use it on an IPhone cloud backup of the data is automatic. GPS based speed seems to be about as accurate as with a wheel based device but that's probably also dependent on which phone it's running on. It works well for hiking and other activities too.

There are two things I'd like to see them improve. Much of the time I'll leave the house with no fixed plan or change my mind and end up doing a previous route. It doesn't give you the ability to rename a "new route" to an existing route name.
it does have the capability to have multiple bikes selectable and keeps track of the mileage for each, but having a way to keep maintenance notes for each would be a handy feature.
On the Stopwatch page (main page), you should see a route name on the top left corner of the screen. It defaults to "New Route" if you don't have it set to use a previous route as the default route. Tap on it to display all your routes and then select the route name for the existing route you plan on doing. If you do a specific route the majority of the time, you can to into Settings>Stopwatch and set a default route of your choosing. Each time you do a route, the default route you selected will show up on the top of the Stopwatch page.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-13-18, 07:29 PM
Russ1409

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the Runmeter app, which is by the same company, and it has cycling options in it. Does anyone know if the Cyclemeter app is just the Runmeter app with a yellow skin instead of red? I'm real happy with the Runmeter app on my bike, but I would change over if there's a reason.
Old 05-17-18, 10:26 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by Russ1409 View Post
I have the Runmeter app, which is by the same company, and it has cycling options in it. Does anyone know if the Cyclemeter app is just the Runmeter app with a yellow skin instead of red? I'm real happy with the Runmeter app on my bike, but I would change over if there's a reason.
I haven't seen any of the options that Runmeter has but the difference between the two apps could be the pairing of speed, cadence and power meter sensors. If you are currently connecting any of those sensors to Runmeter and you like the app, I don't see any major reason to go to Cyclemeter. Cyclemeter also allows you to connect and configure the Wahoo RFLKT(+) bike computer but those are no longer in production and probably not even available.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-19-18, 03:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
I used the Cyclemeter free version for a few months in 2016 and liked it well enough to pay for the premium version throughout 2017. Lots of good features including the user customizable voice prompts.

I got busy with a family health issue from December through February and during that time my premium version of Cyclemeter lapsed. I decided to download all of my 2017 rides for the data... and couldn't. I would need to renew my subscription to access my old data.

That was annoying enough that I didn't renew my subscription. I gave the free version a try on my new Android phone but the ads are now too intrusive. One too many annoyances.

Fortunately I'd already uploaded most of my rides recorded with Cyclemeter to Strava. So I had access to Strava's version of the same rides, although Strava's data always differs slightly from other apps. It's close enough that it doesn't really matter.

I only use Strava now. The free version does most of what I need and I have full access to my own data.