Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy? (N+1)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Am I crazy? (N+1)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Any bike is good, so long as it fits. There is something better about a bike that is "yours." A better-fitting bike, with good shorts, seats, and shoes, will be more comfortable for longer rides, and a bit faster.

If you think you are riding too slow, add some "intervals" to your ride. If you are using a cycle computer, you have a pretty good idea what your average speed is in a given area. Raise your speed by 5 mph (or 8 kph), for 30 seconds. Then slow down to your usual speed. Do this a few times, and after a week or so, increase the time to 1 minute. If you do this for a few weeks, you'll find that you can lift your average speed significantly.

Another thing I recommend is joining a group ride. It's fun to ride with others, the speed is higher, and you can drop out at any time. Faster riders tend to group together and ride away, average riders group together and ride at a moderate pace, new and lower riders group together and ride at an easier pace. Group rides are a good way to meet people and make friends, and to motivate you to get out and ride on weekend mornings.
Old 07-24-18, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I to old and inflexible to ride dropbars ? I bought a dropbar bike last winter at 55 that and a diet has me touching my toes with my thumbs more flexible than i've been in quite a while.It's really one of those get out what you put in deals.
Old 07-24-18, 08:19 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Would it be crazy to go with some sort of road bike (at age 50) rather than another hybrid?
Absolutely not.

Many much older than that ride road bikes. It is not crazy at all.

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
The day after I passed him on a hill, he went out and bought a new bike.
LoL'd at this.

-Tim-
Old 07-27-18, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I'm 60. Started cycling earnestly at age 53. Since then I have purchased 5 new bikes. Looks like you had better get started!
Old 07-29-18, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Why that's a simple question but the answer might be complicated.

It has to do with whether you are a left brain or a right brain dominate thinker:
Pure left brain people are logical thinkers. The bike that you have is good enough so why would you buy a different one?
Pure right brain people go with their hearts. You deserve not to have to ride a borrowed bike.

Here's the toss up question: If you spend the money to buy yourself a brand new bike of your own choosing, what will you be giving up?
Old 07-29-18, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT CRAZY TO GET YOUR FIRST SERIOUS ROAD BIKE AT FIFTY YEARS OLD!

ok, I got the caps out of my system. While I did some riding much of my life, I consider myself having gotten my first "serious" road bike at age 56 (prior to that I was riding an inexpensive hybrid). The only caveat is finances ... as long as you can still afford to eat a meal every day or two and can afford a tarp to cover your body for shelter, I'd recommend trying out bikes at your LBS's and find one that is comfortable and you fall in love with

Last edited by dennis336; 07-29-18 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 04:57 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Here's the toss up question: If you spend the money to buy yourself a brand new bike of your own choosing, what will you be giving up?
Give up your husband and ride his bike.
Old 09-26-18, 11:26 PM

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A nicer bike that fits you well is a real treat. I did find that in my 50’s I developed a bit of neck and shoulder pain. I sought out road and touring bikes that (1) put the handlebars above the saddle and (2) had room for fatter, more supple tires. I also gave up drop bars for more mustache-style bars which enable a lowered position as well as a more upright one. There are lots of niche bikes to check out these days. My Rivendell is more of a light touring/road bike. My sister in law recently bought an adventure bike which gave her room for slightly wider tires and also more standover. You may want to also look at cyclocross bikes which are racey but also a little more upright than an aggressive road bike. Any of these bikes might remain more comfortable as you move through your 50’s and beyond.

john
Old 09-26-18, 11:52 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My wife has ridden a road bike for a number of years. She is not a great rider, and doesn't do a lot of miles, but she doesn't have a problem with riding drop bars.

Setup is the key. Her drop bars are raised up higher than her saddle. She also has interrupter brake levers on the top bar so she can ride more upright at times and still have the brakes close by. You don't have to always ride in the drops or the hoods. This lets you ride more upright when you want and more aerodynamic when you want. It really works well for her. She is 10 years older than you are.

For comfort, ride a minimum of 25mm wide tires. And pick a woman specific saddle. My wife likes the Serfas RX, but you need to find one you like.

You need to figure out the gearing you want. Are there hills that you struggle riding? Are you pushing a big gear all out? It is important to understand what faster for you will be. If you are at 10/12 mph average, you may never be pushing a 50-11 gear ratio at 30mph. My wife rarely gets into her top gear of 46-12, but she does use her 30-34 on some hills. You need to find a shop that will work with you to fit your current cycling needs with some growth for the future... within realistic goals and not wishful thinking. Because if you outgrow the gearing, you have probably moved beyond the bike.

John
Old 09-27-18, 12:25 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
One more thing... I converted my wife's old road bike to a flat bar urban/commuter/hybrid or whatever you want to call it. It is a great around town/neighborhood/beach bike. It is set up as a 3x8 so she can cruise around anywhere on it.

But, when she wants to ride faster, she takes her road bike, or fast bike for her. Even at her level there is a difference; just because the bike setup is more performance and aerodynamic. And even then it is far from how I would set it up for me. But it is where it should be for her.

if you want to ride longer and faster, get a road bike. You will be amazed at being just a little more aerodynamic helps to ride further and faster. One last point. I swapped out the wheels on her road bike. The ones that came with the bike is where they cut cost and weighed an unbelievable 2600 grams (over 5 lbs). Even though the new wheels are not light (1700 grams) those 2 lbs really made a big difference for her.

John
Old 09-27-18, 02:09 AM
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT CRAZY TO GET YOUR FIRST SERIOUS ROAD BIKE AT FIFTY YEARS OLD!
+1 to that.

I'd add; if you're talking about getting your first serious bike, it might be time to go for your first serious bike fit.

My wife and I are having the same conversation.

Given a sheer lack of female input in general, I'd love to hear your input here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/recreational-family/1151257-ladies-new-bike-wife.html

here are some of the links for (pretty cool) bikes designed for women mentioned in the thread above:
https://www.liv-cycling.com/us
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/collections/womens-bikes/c/B504/
Old 09-27-18, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bang0Bang00
+1 to that.

I'd add; if you're talking about getting your first serious bike, it might be time to go for your first serious bike fit.

My wife and I are having the same conversation.

Given a sheer lack of female input in general, I'd love to hear your input here:
Ladies? New bike for wife.

here are some of the links for (pretty cool) bikes designed for women mentioned in the thread above:
https://www.liv-cycling.com/us
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B504/
Hey, it sounded like your question was to me with a quote from my earlier post and you. If it was, fyi, I'm not a woman so can't help with personal experience. Having said that, a trip to the LBS to try a few bikes seems like the best alternative. If you think she wouldn't have the interest in doing a lot of shopping around, maybe you can do the research, select a few options to show her then open the door to looking around for others if she'd like to explore more.
Old 09-27-18, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58 and plan on riding a drop bar road bike when I'm 70+
Old 09-27-18, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I began riding a road bike at my young 70s (almost 80 now). At 50 you are still a sweet young thang with a bright future ahead of you. There is quite a bit of adjustment on bike fit. The stem can be had in different length to support the bar further forward or closer to the cyclist. Also, they are available in different angles to support the bar higher or lower by flipping it over. This all means that any bike that is about right can be further adjusted to accommodate a higher or lower position. I would add that as you get up to riding 50 miles, your original position will change to something somewhat longer and lower.
Old 09-27-18, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
As someone that got their first road bike at age 60, I would say you definitely are not too old. Granted there may be some other reason that a drop bar bike is not for you, but it's not age.

I also transitioned from a flat bar bike. Initially I spent maybe 20% of the ride in the drops and gradually increased that as I became more used to it. I also gradually increased the miles and now at 62 regularly do 50-60 mile rides on the weekends.

Go try out a few and see how it feels.
Old 09-27-18, 11:26 PM
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Hey, it sounded like your question was to me with a quote from my earlier post and you. If it was, fyi, I'm not a woman so can't help with personal experience. Having said that, a trip to the LBS to try a few bikes seems like the best alternative. If you think she wouldn't have the interest in doing a lot of shopping around, maybe you can do the research, select a few options to show her then open the door to looking around for others if she'd like to explore more.
Sorry, Dennis, I was addressing the original poster. Hence the female oriented gist of the post.
Old 09-28-18, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bang0Bang00
Sorry, Dennis, I was addressing the original poster. Hence the female oriented gist of the post.
Thought so, just wanted to be sure. Good luck with the shopping!
Old 09-29-18, 09:08 AM

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For comfort, ride a minimum of 25mm wide tires. And pick a woman specific saddle. My wife likes the Serfas RX, but you need to find one you like.

+1 to 25mm tires or larger. Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly did some testing and found no speed loss on larger tires. Even racers have been moving to larger tires lately. I’ve found my Compass 38mm extralight tires to be smooth, fast and, due to the lower pressures, resist flats without adding weight. It appears that some of the new “adventure bikes” or “gravel grinders” are pretty much road bikes that can handle larger tires (some up to 40mm maybe?).

john
Old 09-30-18, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I got meself a road bike, smaller frame size, swapped the drops for straightish ones, fitted decent sized bar ends which would comfortably accept my drop bar brake/gear levers.
I now have a bike which is supremely comfortable up and down hills, and am able to operate the brakes instantly when needed.
That last facility has probably saved me from serious injury many times.
Old 10-01-18, 04:06 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
I got meself a road bike, smaller frame size, swapped the drops for straightish ones, fitted decent sized bar ends which would comfortably accept my drop bar brake/gear levers.
I now have a bike which is supremely comfortable up and down hills, and am able to operate the brakes instantly when needed.
That last facility has probably saved me from serious injury many times.
Not sure what the benefit of going with a flat bar here would be .... the tops of a properly placed drop bar could be in exactly the same space as the flat bar is now, And you would still have the drops and several hand positions on the curves of the drop bar ....

But if you like it and it seems to work for you... end of story.
Old 10-04-18, 01:31 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
My wife has an FX3, too. Actually, it's a 7.3FX, the previous name. It's a terrific bike. I call it semi-upright. It's right in between bent over and upright. If you like it, get one for yourself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-18, 12:34 PM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Allot of us crazies here.
Have Similar story as you.
Started at 60, Torker Skukoom mt bike.
Best bike ever had.
Now a Sirrus Carbon,
& a custom Kona Rove .

IMO,
time to find a good bike shop ,
get measured,
Build a bike around you.
You’re worth it &
got many years to enjoy it
Old 10-16-18, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You should absolutely try all different kinds of bikes you can, including a recumbent or two. Ya never know unless you try them all. With a road bike, you'll have more hand positions available vs a hybrid. If you like the flat bars, you can get skinny-tired bikes that way, too. CX, Gravel, Endurance, they're all slightly different variations of a theme, but sometimes the variations are what triggers that "just right" reaction.
Old 10-16-18, 07:09 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
50, is that all? Wish I was only 50. I started riding seriously again at 50 back in 2000. Almost 19 years later, I've bought 7 bikes. Still have 6, one was killed by a car - while I was riding it. Better get started, you have a lot of catching up to do. My bikes are all road bikes, 3 vintage steel, 2 modern carbon, one in between aluminum. Never had a hybrid or a mountain bike. Just do it.