Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

News Flash: Sun makes an appearance in Chicago!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-19, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

I usually take a break at this point on the Greenbay Trail in north suburban Chicago. In summer its dense shade, a place to get out of the sun. Yesterday it was bright sunshine and...35 degrees. Felt really good though. Actually pushed it a little bit on the way home. And OMG the sun is out again this morning!
Likes For big chainring:
Old 12-04-19, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
You obviously need to take the rest of the day off (or as long as the sun is visible) to go for a sunny bike ride!
Old 12-04-19, 11:37 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I spent 6 years in Ann Arbor. When asked about the weather in winter on long distance phone calls, I would say cold and grey or just one cloud in the sky depending on the call. (That one cloud runs from west of Chicago to east of Buffalo, Lake Superior to southern Ohio. I've flown over it many times flying the Pacific northwest to Boston.)

My sophomore year in Ann Arbor, the record was set for fewest days of sun appearances for the month of January. 3. Nobody noticed until we heard it on the news.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-05-19, 06:59 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Whazzup with having both barcons and downtube shift levers, and what looks like a spare cable taped to the handlebar? Preparing to convert from DT to barcons?

OK -- back to the original subject. San Diego got more rain than Seattle in November 2019.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-05-19, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
Sunlight is a foreign concept here in Michigan. Haven't seen it in weeks. Lucky you!
Old 12-05-19, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
OK, I'll bite. Whazzup with having both barcons and downtube shift levers, and what looks like a spare cable taped to the handlebar? Preparing to convert from DT to barcons?
Yep. Swapped bars and stem. Making sure I liked the set up before commiting to them. Today I got the barcons going and removed downtube shifters.
Old 12-07-19, 10:48 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
If done with the Sun could you send it our way, please. And ask it to rise further in the sky so its' rays have more strength.

For the record, a whole lot of cities in the lower48 get more rain and rainy days than Seattle.
Albeit, few (if any) get more overcast and misty days.
Old 12-09-19, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I usually take a break at this point on the Greenbay Trail in north suburban Chicago. In summer its dense shade, a place to get out of the sun. Yesterday it was bright sunshine and...35 degrees.

Felt really good though. Actually pushed it a little bit on the way home. And OMG the sun is out again this morning!
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Sunlight is a foreign concept here in Michigan. Haven't seen it in weeks. Lucky you!
Originally Posted by Wildwood
If done with the Sun could you send it our way, please. And ask it to rise further in the sky so its' rays have more strength.

For the record, a whole lot of cities in the lower48 get more rain and rainy days than Seattle.
Albeit, few (if any) get more overcast and misty days.
Shade and overcast (without rain) are certainly preferable to incessant sunshine on a hot summer day. I have previously posted about winter sunshine here in metro Boston.

One problem is that in the Winter the glaring low level sun occurs at more frequently inconvenient riding times.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In particular though, I rode about 4 miles this morning (2/27) at 13 ͦ F without discomfort. On my ride, I noted these two seemingly February-specific phenomena that I might consider harbingers of Spring:
…this morning [2/5/18, and 7:30 AM, 2/27/19] at about 7:30 to 7:45 AM on my southbound commute, the bright, low-lying Winter morning sun was directly at the level of my left hand rearview mirror, and the sun glare made it difficult to get a fix on that mirror
On a northbound ride at 6:30 AM July 28, the glare of the low sun similarly obstructed my right hand mirror [I wear left and right]
Originally Posted by velopig
Two mirrors and a fluorescent jacket. You win.
+10 to overcast, especially in the AM, or PM around sunrise / sunset with the sun directly at about eye level.

It seems that sometime in early February though, I start to notice some welcome radiant heat from the sun.
For sun glare,
I don't like them [photochromic prescription lenses], and I wear my non-tinted glasses when riding in bright sunlight. I never wore sunglasses anyways before I got them.

I find they diminish contrast on bright days. In particular when riding into the sun, I especially lose contrast when looking into my rearview mirror. I think it's because my pupils constrict even with the photochromes on, yet the lenses are already darkened.

My preference is for a billed baseball cap under my helmet.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-09-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
George lassos the sun! Hands it over to Michigan.