Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks B17 Saddle Ordered! :)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks B17 Saddle Ordered! :)

Old 05-22-20, 09:26 AM
  #51  
Jinkster
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jinkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posts: 409

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Man falls in love with, and marries a saddle.
Film at 11:00
downhillmaster...a quick review of your recent postings exhibits a steady pattern of some rather negative commentary and responses towards others...I hope and pray whatever is troubling you gets resolved and that you have a better day.
Jinkster is offline  
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-22-20, 12:02 PM
  #52  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
downhillmaster...a quick review of your recent postings exhibits a steady pattern of some rather negative commentary and responses towards others...I hope and pray whatever is troubling you gets resolved and that you have a better day.
Does this mean that I am not getting invited to the wedding between you and your well oiled saddle?
I am glad that you and that other poster worked that oil thing out btw. You were pretty negative towards his point of view there for a bit
downhillmaster is offline  
Old 05-22-20, 03:14 PM
  #53  
Jinkster
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Jinkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Posts: 409

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Does this mean that I am not getting invited to the wedding between you and your well oiled saddle?
I am glad that you and that other poster worked that oil thing out btw. You were pretty negative towards his point of view there for a bit
That is true which is why I apologized.
Jinkster is offline  
Likes For Jinkster:
Old 05-22-20, 04:38 PM
  #54  
Bluesfrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Downhillmaster. Really? Maybe you didn't listen when you were told if you can't say something good just don't say anything? Or maybe you are just a Troll. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Bluesfrog is offline  
Likes For Bluesfrog:
Old 05-24-20, 01:18 PM
  #55  
momoman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 112

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
on

I now have slightly over 200 miles on my B17 Imperial. I've only used proofhide when the saddle was new and applied 2 coats. I'll probably re-apply every 6 months. At most I'll be putting in 25-30 miles/ride on my Trek 760 with the Brooks. Usually at the 20-25 mile point of my rides I want to stand up and pedal a few strokes to give my butt a rest. With the Brooks B17 I don't feel the soreness at the 20-25 mark. I would say the saddle still causes some discomfort but no pain. I had a few racing type saddles that were painful on longer rides. I'm guessing it'll take another 200-300 miles to get my saddle to the point where it will be discomfort-free, and it may be my saddle of choice if I decide to do a century or an eroica event.
momoman is offline  
Likes For momoman:
Old 06-01-20, 01:04 PM
  #56  
jleeg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Dauphin, PA
Posts: 69

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 28 Posts
I don't recall my Brooks causing me any pain, but that may be due to the fact that I've had it 40 years and can't remember! I know, however, that i really like (and almost treasure) it.
Best. j
jleeg is offline  
Old 06-01-20, 02:28 PM
  #57  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 816 Posts
have a team pro bought in 1977,. . they only came in black-brown then..

after a decade they are part of you and you , they..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-20 at 02:53 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 04:53 PM
  #58  
Surubi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still riding my Ideale 88 from the 1990's. Perfect fit to my anatomy.
Surubi is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 08:32 PM
  #59  
Captain Paul
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just awaiting delivery on a World Voyageur. Think I might switch my Brooks Imperial from my carbon road bike to the Schwinn and replace it with a carbon framed C13 Carved. Anybody tried one?
Captain Paul is offline  
Old 06-17-20, 07:09 AM
  #60  
camjr
Senior Member
 
camjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 645

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
I've only put about 125 miles on mine, but it's already very comfortable. My 225 pounds is apparently speeding the break-in process along.




Cheers!
camjr is offline  
Likes For camjr:
Old 06-17-20, 07:48 PM
  #61  
Captain Paul
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, my Imperial is awesome. Anyone know anything about the carbon C13?
Captain Paul is offline  
Old 11-28-20, 12:48 PM
  #62  
cfbiker
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4

Bikes: Vintage Gios Torino Super Record, 2018 Fuji Touring, Brooks B17 Special

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Brooks B17

My 30+ year old B17 was very comfortable until a few weeks back when one of the rails snapped while I was out on the trail! I'm only 5' 10", 175!

Although the saddle was awesome the leather is cracking and additional proofide isn't helping so I ordered a new one... (Actually I placed 3 different orders, but I have no confidence that the Amazon partner nor web bike shop will be able to deliver!). Even BrooksEngland claims many of the seats models are 'out of stock'. My B17 Special shipped today from from eBay!

I did try the Brooks Cambian C17 but it was just too hard, just like the saddle that came on my Fuji. Ugh! Even the Concor S Marco on my Gios isn't 'touring' comfortable.

I should have stopped looking after I placed the order because I then came across the Rivet Loveland... looks like a viable alternative!

Since I'm a new member I can't post the pictures of the leather condition. Maybe I'll consider fixing it myself in the future if I can order the parts. I'd like to upgrade to black rails and copper rivets but I don't think its worth paying someone $90+ to repair it for me.
cfbiker is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 09:02 PM
  #63  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,584

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 516 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by cfbiker View Post
My 30+ year old B17 was very comfortable until a few weeks back when one of the rails snapped while I was out on the trail! I'm only 5' 10", 175!

Although the saddle was awesome the leather is cracking and additional proofide isn't helping so I ordered a new one... (Actually I placed 3 different orders, but I have no confidence that the Amazon partner nor web bike shop will be able to deliver!). Even BrooksEngland claims many of the seats models are 'out of stock'. My B17 Special shipped today from from eBay!

I did try the Brooks Cambian C17 but it was just too hard, just like the saddle that came on my Fuji. Ugh! Even the Concor S Marco on my Gios isn't 'touring' comfortable.

I should have stopped looking after I placed the order because I then came across the Rivet Loveland... looks like a viable alternative!

Since I'm a new member I can't post the pictures of the leather condition. Maybe I'll consider fixing it myself in the future if I can order the parts. I'd like to upgrade to black rails and copper rivets but I don't think its worth paying someone $90+ to repair it for me.
I have used Brooks frames, rivets, etc. Let me know if I can help.
__________________
www.rhmsaddles.com.
rhm is offline  
Old 11-30-20, 09:18 PM
  #64  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,584

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 516 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ View Post
I did find an online reference on Facebook from a bike shop that includes the following, in its FAQ on Brooks and Proofide. I have no idea if they're up in the night on this or not, but here's what they said:
"HOWEVER, in both of these two cases, it is very important to be mindful of the irreversible damage that can result from excessive application of Proofide. There is a risk that the leather will over soften and then no longer be able to support the rider’s weight."

Whether this is a statement supportable by evidence of it actually irreversibly damaging saddles by over-softening or not, I have no idea. This could just be some of that infamous Internet conventional wisdom for all I know.
I know this is an old post, but I only just saw it.

First of all, regarding the idea of "irreversible damage" bear in mind that (1) pretty much ANYthing you do to leather is irreversible, and (2) what's "damage" is a matter of opinion.

What effect Proofide will have on leather depends a great deal on the condition of the leather before you start. I had a couple Brooks saddles I bought new 10-15 years ago, that I believe I ruined with too much Proofide. And it wasn't even very much Proofide. It could be the Proofide did thi damage, or it could be these were just dud saddles, the leather not treated properly at the factory... I don't know. But I connected the failure of the leather to the Proofide. Did the leather really fail? No, but it sure got too soft for my taste. I also have some older Brooks saddles that are hard as plywood, and Proofide has done nothing to them at all.

My advice, re any saddle, is figure out how to make it comfortable by adjusting the position of the saddle and the rider. Once it's properly set up, the rest will follow. There are ways to soften the leather, and there are ways to make it harder, and all of them will 'damage' the leather in some way.
__________________
www.rhmsaddles.com.
rhm is offline  
Old 12-02-20, 04:31 PM
  #65  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,243

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
I just got back from a casual evening ride to my daughters house and back with the above comments in mind and had to chuckle thinking about how many times I adjusted this current Toupe saddle until I got it to the highly refined position it's currently at where my seat angle is steep enough to be just shy of bobbling my boys yet shallow enough to support my sit bones without the sliding forward feeling.

Now mind you I'm on a Crosstrail Hybrid where my upper torso is only in the 25-30deg range...nose of my seat is tipped down maybe 3-5 degs and while tolerable?...it still rings of a rock with a thin layer of foam between.
Sounds like you've done a good job on that Toupe! I would say, don't circular it until you are convinced about the Brooks.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 12-05-20, 04:22 AM
  #66  
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central FL/ DownEast ME
Posts: 75

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Best advice I’ve seen on Brooks saddles:

Brooks Pro

I followed it on my second Brooks and it works.

Cliff notes version: no proofhide, no oil, seal the underside, shoe polish the top
Mmassey338 is offline  
Old 12-05-20, 12:57 PM
  #67  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,243

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 167 Posts
That's pretty unique, first time I've seen it, I think.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 12-05-20, 07:45 PM
  #68  
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central FL/ DownEast ME
Posts: 75

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
That's pretty unique, first time I've seen it, I think.
Yes, but I think it makes sense. Why add oil which breaks down the leather? Adding the damp rag to temporarily soften the saddle so it molds faster is also a great idea.
My newer saddle is about 18 months old, with 6,000+ miles on it and it looks brand new except for the dents for my sit bones. I also like that the polish keeps it slick.
YMMV
Mmassey338 is offline  
Old 12-06-20, 03:28 PM
  #69  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,243

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmassey338 View Post
Yes, but I think it makes sense. Why add oil which breaks down the leather? Adding the damp rag to temporarily soften the saddle so it molds faster is also a great idea.
My newer saddle is about 18 months old, with 6,000+ miles on it and it looks brand new except for the dents for my sit bones. I also like that the polish keeps it slick.
YMMV
I agree it makes sense, but I'm reluctant to soak a new Brooks saddle in water. I have added oil to them - Proofide many years ago, other materials later, and now back to Proofide. That does not mean I am against the note from Bill Boston's site. So "YMMV" does not apply. But several experts on leather restoration and maintenance say leather needs its oils maintaned. The recommended amounts for a bike saddle are only clarified by Brooks, as far as I can see. At least one such experts is @rhm, here on BF and other forums.

On BF in the past we've had MANY discussions on "Brooks! What do I do?" and I have seen many people say they ruined their saddle. I have not seen that procedure before. I have not ruined one, so I think there is something wrong with the "anti-oil" point of view. Which is why I think if the corporate continuity of Brooks endorses a specific product, even if it's sold under their branding, I think it's most likely worth stucking with their product AND their recommended procedure. But I don't think it's the only good way, since quite few others have not had major problems. I've had used ones that sagged deeply as soon as I bmounted them and started riding, and I have two Team Pro selects of which one is too soft and the other too hard. Buying off ebay or even from List members can be a crap shoot. What I like are the older Brooks B17 Select for my wife's bikes, and a Brooks Swallow Select for trainer-riding. The Swallow started out hard as a rock due to its thickness (the Select leather) and its folding (the Swallow design), but it has a good shape and is starting to be a little resilient.

For my riding the biggest problems with a Brooks Pro and the B17s is the limited capability for setback, unless the seat tube is laid back at least to 70 degrees. The Swallow has the widest portion a few cm closer to the cantle compared to the others.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 12-06-20, 03:49 PM
  #70  
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Central FL/ DownEast ME
Posts: 75

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
I agree it makes sense, but I'm reluctant to soak a new Brooks saddle in water. I have added oil to them - Proofide many years ago, other materials later, and now back to Proofide. That does not mean I am against the note from Bill Boston's site. So "YMMV" does not apply. But several experts on leather restoration and maintenance say leather needs its oils maintaned. The recommended amounts for a bike saddle are only clarified by Brooks, as far as I can see. At least one such experts is @rhm, here on BF and other forums.

On BF in the past we've had MANY discussions on "Brooks! What do I do?" and I have seen many people say they ruined their saddle. I have not seen that procedure before. I have not ruined one, so I think there is something wrong with the "anti-oil" point of view. Which is why I think if the corporate continuity of Brooks endorses a specific product, even if it's sold under their branding, I think it's most likely worth stucking with their product AND their recommended procedure. But I don't think it's the only good way, since quite few others have not had major problems. I've had used ones that sagged deeply as soon as I bmounted them and started riding, and I have two Team Pro selects of which one is too soft and the other too hard. Buying off ebay or even from List members can be a crap shoot. What I like are the older Brooks B17 Select for my wife's bikes, and a Brooks Swallow Select for trainer-riding. The Swallow started out hard as a rock due to its thickness (the Select leather) and its folding (the Swallow design), but it has a good shape and is starting to be a little resilient.

For my riding the biggest problems with a Brooks Pro and the B17s is the limited capability for setback, unless the seat tube is laid back at least to 70 degrees. The Swallow has the widest portion a few cm closer to the cantle compared to the others.

It does not say to soak it.
The cloth should be damp but not so soaking wet that it drenches your bike. Then, just before you ride, take your thumbs and knead the area where your ischial bones will hit in order to start softening the leather. Ride an hour or two, with the washcloth OFF.
The saddle will get oils from your body, and like a nice pair of shoes, you just polish it
Mmassey338 is offline  
Old 12-08-20, 12:53 PM
  #71  
dmanthree
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,170

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957 View Post
I have never understood the appeal of Brooks. I have heard they can take 500 miles to break in and are absolute torture during that time. Why? There are other choices that just work.
If those other choices work for you, great! But trust me, they don't work for me. And no, they don't take 500 miles to break in. I find them comfortable at mile 0.
dmanthree is offline  
Old 12-08-20, 01:26 PM
  #72  
probe1957
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central IL
Posts: 410

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
If those other choices work for you, great! But trust me, they don't work for me. And no, they don't take 500 miles to break in. I find them comfortable at mile 0.
It would seem like you are the exception rather than the rule then.
probe1957 is offline  
Old 12-08-20, 01:37 PM
  #73  
Rage
Space Ghost
 
Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,216

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 173 Posts
I also find them comfortable without any break-in.
They get more comfy as time goes by but I have never had an issue with them out of the box.
But not everyone is built the same way so...
Rage is offline  
Old 12-08-20, 03:07 PM
  #74  
dmanthree
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,170

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957 View Post
It would seem like you are the exception rather than the rule then.
Honestly, I doubt it. I've read quite a few posts and spoken to lots of riders who find them comfortable from day one. I realize this is a *highly* personal decision so there's likely to be a ton of riders who might refer to them as "ass hatchets."

:-)
dmanthree is offline  
Old 12-12-20, 06:56 PM
  #75  
257 roberts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lakeland,Fl
Posts: 303

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 151 Posts
I have a B17 and it's my 3rd Brooks saddle, all have been good from the beginning
never an issue
257 roberts is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.