Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How fast do you ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How fast do you ride?

Old 12-28-20, 11:33 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,739 Times in 3,658 Posts
While racing in my early-30s, I topped 60mph on a long wide-open downhill, and would regularly hit 40mph in sprints at the end of a race. After 15 years off the bike, I got back to riding at the end of 2019. I've been regaining my comfort at speed, but it's been very slow to return. Approaching 40mph makes me nervous.
Old 12-28-20, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 7,163 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I go as fast as the WIND let's me. Same as for any bike. The second last day of my last tour, I was cruising on the flat freeway/ highway at 25 to 32 mph, with a 120 lb bike. When I stopped for lunch at the A+W, 3 drivers came over and commented > you was flying. LOL. The second day going, I had a 30+ mph direct headwind, I got 23 miles at 3.5 mph. LOL.
My SA XL-RD5w is my speed machine. 9 mph wind + 9% slope = near 46 mph on a less than 1/2 mile hill near here.
I have 2 videos to prove it. The first was my maiden voyage for my tour bike custom. The second was after I added a whole bunch of CF addons, frame bag and weight. LOL.
Let's talk about those stop signs ...
Old 12-28-20, 02:17 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Keep posting these childish posts and you might live to 100. Makes me happy to see this attitude. Can't wait until a 70 year old posts " I did 70 mph."
Originally Posted by alo

The real question is how fast do you go when you are on a flat road? Again I am slower than many here. When I am just taking it easy, and not in a hurry, I used to cruise at around 15 kph. However, I have lost some fat, and gained some fitness. I now cruise at around 20 kph when I am just taking it easy, and not in a hurry. I am strong enough to go fast, but only for a short time. I am not as fit as some.

To all the other fat challenged people out there. Don't worry if you are not as fast as others. Just work on getting fitter.
The real question is: Does enjoyment of bicycling require obsessing over or boasting about speed, mileage and/or so-called fitness ?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-28-20, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8148 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The real question is: Does enjoyment of bicycling require obsessing over or boasting about speed, mileage and/or so-called fitness ?
Yes. For some, apparently, it does.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-28-20, 03:16 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
I think I hit 50mph ONCE in my life... yeah, it was fun.

I used to hit 45mph pretty regularly on my regular ride; now I generally keep it below 40mph in that same section.
I don't enjoy going fast anymore.
The last couple times I crashed and broke bones, I wasn't going fast - but it certainly gave me a better awareness of my own fragility.

​​​​​​​
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-28-20, 05:07 PM
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I don’t think we’re obsessing over it, I was just curious. I like speed but at the same time not trying to hurt myself especially with the local ICU beds all full.

I am clearly not the only one here who likes to go fast and also clearly not the fastest here and that’s cool. I notice on my rides that very rarely do I see people pushing going downhill they’re usually just coasting and riding the brakes so I was wondering who else likes to go fast is all. If you don’t like to go fast there’s nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-28-20, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Given how common multi-path errors are, I take any GPS-only numbers with a grain of salt. Add a speed sensor, and you're golden.
Fair enough.
Old 12-28-20, 09:04 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,119 Posts
As fast as I can... but my bike always gets there before me!

I haven't figured out the tandem magic though: I always get there before my wife but she always goes just as fast as me.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-29-20, 12:35 AM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 238 Posts
With all the BS that gets passed around about "SLOW" IGH bikes, someone >> ME>> has to prove it's 99% malarkey NONSENSE.... It sure as hell isn't a SA 5w hub.
Just yesterday there's yet another N+1000 geezer wanting mountain climbing gears on a 3 speed. LOL.
Sorry if I ruffled your rocking chairs and old wives tales.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 12-29-20 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 12-29-20, 04:33 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
No, but it helps.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-29-20, 04:54 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,739 Times in 3,658 Posts
Sharing of experiences isn't necessarily "obsessing" or "boasting". People who enjoy riding bikes also tend to like talking about riding bikes. How far, how, fast, or how often is just another topic of discussion.
Old 12-29-20, 07:25 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Speed going downhill is some kind of achievement?
The real question is why you feel compelled to post on a thread about speed if it’s not your thing?

Old 12-29-20, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
With all the BS that gets passed around about "SLOW" IGH bikes, someone >> ME>> has to prove it's 99% malarkey NONSENSE.... It sure as hell isn't a SA 5w hub.
Just yesterday there's yet another N+1000 geezer wanting mountain climbing gears on a 3 speed. LOL.
Sorry if I ruffled your rocking chairs and old wives tales.
I wonder what all of this means?
Likes For big john:
Old 12-29-20, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
Sharing of experiences isn't necessarily "obsessing" or "boasting". People who enjoy riding bikes also tend to like talking about riding bikes. How far, how, fast, or how often is just another topic of discussion.
These things have been topics throughout the time I've been here. Probably always will be.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-29-20, 07:39 PM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The real question is why you feel compelled to post on a thread about speed if it’s not your thing?
I enjoy reading about others' perceptions. I try to understand different cultures. I browse new posts to sample various interests, think about the implications of unfamiliar concepts, ask a question when I don't understand. If my question offended, you probably care too much about what other people think.

Edit: I read on one thread somewhere that fishing was mentioned (especially because it was "catch and release"), and I asked for someone to explain the attraction to the activity. I actually got a pretty good explanation.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 12-29-20 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 12-29-20, 07:51 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
These things have been topics throughout the time I've been here. Probably always will be.
Man, I’ll say.

Some years back I posted a speed thread very similar to this...and got the same and similar mixed results.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 12-29-20, 08:25 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I enjoy reading about others' perceptions. I try to understand different cultures. I browse new posts to sample various interests, think about the implications of unfamiliar concepts, ask a question when I don't understand. If my question offended, you probably care too much about what other people think.

Edit: I read on one thread somewhere that fishing was mentioned (especially because it was "catch and release"), and I asked for someone to explain the attraction to the activity. I actually got a pretty good explanation.
Intellectual curiosity is always a good thing and always applaud those who seek to understand subjects or concepts which are foreign even if it makes no sense to them.

I do find it interesting however that your curiosity is punctuated at the end by a negative comment. There are many things I would not consider doing, like sky diving or free climbing, but certainly don’t register my negativity towards those who do. Different strokes, and evidently different attitudes towards civil conversation.

If I need your assessment of my mental state or attitude, I will kindly let you know. Since I sincerely doubt you are licensed to make such determinations, you may want to stay within your depth unless otherwise requested. Have a nice evening and keep learning.

Old 01-02-21, 12:56 PM
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I am much more interested in how fast I can ascend, rather than descend.
Same here. I'm a smaller guy in stature and have always gone up much better than many I ride with. It's a challenge for me and I love going up. The bigger riders always catch me on the downhill (I won't say I don't mind fast downhills as I've topped 50+ mph several times). On the flats and when in shape I tend to be in the 18-20 mph range which is mentally rewarding too. I almost always ride by myself.

Likes For scozim:
Old 01-02-21, 07:40 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,589 Posts
The answer is 21.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-03-21, 12:00 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've missed the solo 5-hour-century three times-- my closest was averaging 3m1s per mile, so I missed it by less than 2 minutes. Not quite fast enough.

I don't obsess much over downhill speed, as that's just a combo of willingness and luck. I've averaged 35mph for half an hour before. Thanks, gravity! Aside from once having a 100%-not-awesome speed wobble @ 45mph due to an over-tightened headset, I've not really had much drama descending (knock wood.).

My "best day out there," for avg. speed that is, came at the close of the Rapha Festive in 2018-- I let +20mph winds from the north push me from the IE all the way to the Pacific Ocean, covering 75 miles in 3h10m, averaging 23.7mph. I set something like 140 PRs that day, and most of them are untouched still.
Old 01-03-21, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I could descent OK back when I was racing, but now I take it REALLY easy. People have died.
Especially after 2020 & time off, my average speed is way off. Lately I've ridden nothing by my chunky gravel bike, even on pavement (with 28mm road tires). I average about 15.5 mph for hilly endurance rides.
I probably won't get back on to my old race bike until sometime in April - I would imagine it's going to feel a LOT quicker.
Likes For IronM:
Old 01-03-21, 04:02 PM

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I live in Florida, No long hills near me. I get a sense of achievement and satisfaction doing 27-31 mph in a Paceline for miles. Lots of guys faster, but that’s pretty good for me.
Likes For BCAC:
Old 01-03-21, 10:46 PM
Grupetto Bob

Different strokes for different folks. Some people get a kick jumping out of planes or jumping off cliffs on skis, and that’s just fine for them but I don’t belittle them because they don’t abide by my definition of what’s satisfying or fun. Some people are goal attainment oriented and some just love to cruise and enjoy the ride, but who am I, or you, to judge which is right as long as it makes them happy?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-03-21, 10:53 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by BCAC
I live in Florida, No long hills near me. I get a sense of achievement and satisfaction doing 27-31 mph in a Paceline for miles. Lots of guys faster, but that’s pretty good for me.

That is impressive speed even pace-lining. In my late 40s I was working pretty darned hard to work with a group doing 23-25 and really didn’t enjoy it because I was on the ragged edge and just waiting to detonate and drop off and never catch them again, while watching them disappear ahead.

You should be be very proud to ride at such a high level with such an accomplished group.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-03-21, 11:12 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I've missed the solo 5-hour-century three times-- my closest was averaging 3m1s per mile, so I missed it by less than 2 minutes. Not quite fast enough.

I don't obsess much over downhill speed, as that's just a combo of willingness and luck. I've averaged 35mph for half an hour before. Thanks, gravity! Aside from once having a 100%-not-awesome speed wobble @ 45mph due to an over-tightened headset, I've not really had much drama descending (knock wood.).

My "best day out there," for avg. speed that is, came at the close of the Rapha Festive in 2018-- I let +20mph winds from the north push me from the IE all the way to the Pacific Ocean, covering 75 miles in 3h10m, averaging 23.7mph. I set something like 140 PRs that day, and most of them are untouched still.

So close on your century! What a heartbreaker.

I got close once once but missed by 10 mins which really pissed me off since that was my goal. I did grab a couple of pacelines along the way but still wasn’t enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.