Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Old 11-04-23, 06:59 PM
  #26  
Henderson, NV
 
Desert Ryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Henderson/Las Vegas NV
Posts: 514

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 263 Posts
My chocolate keeps me in shape...










Desert Ryder is offline  
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 11-04-23, 07:10 PM
  #27  
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 21,718

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 801 Posts
I used to eat Lindt 95%, but I switched to my wife's brand, Ghirardelli 92%, after reading the respective Cadmium assays.
If it's not over 90%, it's not real chocolate.
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Old 11-04-23, 09:36 PM
  #28  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,867

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 5,199 Times in 2,717 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I used to eat Lindt 95%, but I switched to my wife's brand, Ghirardelli 92%, after reading the respective Cadmium assays.
If it's not over 90%, it's not real chocolate.
Ghirardelli has one of the lowest levels of heavy metals according to CR.
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 05:21 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 11,798
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 545 Posts
I love chocolate and eat a little daily. Unfortunately I prefer milk chocolate so probably not much/any health benefit
staehpj1 is online now  
Old 11-05-23, 06:48 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I love chocolate and eat a little daily. Unfortunately I prefer milk chocolate so probably not much/any health benefit
I generally prefer milk chocolate too, but over the past few years I’ve discovered all kinds of interesting, tasty and relatively healthy chocolate beyond the usual mass market sugary crap.

I figure that anything I eat on a daily basis should be reasonably healthy and chocolate is on my daily list.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-05-23 at 06:52 AM.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 08:06 AM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,678

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Cocolate, plus four other ingredients. A personal favorite.
dmanthree is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 08:06 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,678

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
The way CR reported it, one would think that high lead and cadmium come from one brand and not another. But the source isn't the manufacturing process - it's that cocoa plants leach heavy metals from the soil from which they are grown. Assuming that a particular "brand" sources cocoa beans from an array of places, the "bad" brands likely had recently purchased beans from places with more metals in the soil. It doesn't mean that that brand is always high in metals, or that the "good" ones (low lead, low cadmium in the CR tests) stay "good".

so it's hard to know which brand is "better". It's also hard to know whether the levels of lead and cadmium outweigh the benefits of dark chocolate. For older people, the risks are probably less than for children or for women of reproductive age..
Why would dark chocolate have higher concentrations of heavy metals than milk chocolate?
dmanthree is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 08:18 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Why would dark chocolate have higher concentrations of heavy metals than milk chocolate?
I’m guessing it’s because of the different cocoa content. Assuming the metals are in the cocoa.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 08:33 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
I have tried and liked quite a few of the products on this list below, but I doubt most of them are available in NA. I generally stay well clear of the traditional junk “chocolate” from Mars, Cadbury etc. But I do still enjoy the odd Snickers bar as a treat.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/t...e-tried-tested
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 09:42 AM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4189 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Why would dark chocolate have higher concentrations of heavy metals than milk chocolate?
Dilution.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 09:44 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4189 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I have tried and liked quite a few of the products on this list below, but I doubt most of them are available in NA. I generally stay well clear of the traditional junk “chocolate” from Mars, Cadbury etc. But I do still enjoy the odd Snickers bar as a treat.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/t...e-tried-tested
Well, in terms of added junk, the prestige brands are likely superior to the traditional mass market brands. On the other hand, for heavy metals, the prestige brands such as Lindt were no better than Hersheys.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 12:10 PM
  #37  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Coffee, chocolate ... always a win in marketing ;-)

No need really for these "miracles", simply Think chocolate, say cheese and go (bananas)!
Of course, nothing wrong with doing a little experiment every now and then:
Bikewolf is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 01:49 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Well, in terms of added junk, the prestige brands are likely superior to the traditional mass market brands. On the other hand, for heavy metals, the prestige brands such as Lindt were no better than Hersheys.
I think of Lindt as mass market too. I don’t think any of their products made this list. Regarding Hersheys etc I guess chocolate containing minimal amounts of actual cocoa avoids the heavy metal issue.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 06:35 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,678

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
crap I have always thought it was Indulgence is the key to moderation...no wonder I can get rid of my gut...
Well, you do have to moderate your moderation. Only makes sense.
dmanthree is offline  
Old 11-05-23, 06:58 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
'02 nrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: se MIch.
Posts: 2,816

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked 2,706 Times in 1,396 Posts
chockaholic?

not so good if you have acid reflex or GERD.
'02 nrs is offline  
Old 11-06-23, 02:29 PM
  #41  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,867

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 5,199 Times in 2,717 Posts
The amount of heavy metals depends on their concentration in the soil the beans are grown. The majority of chocolate, which I dearly love, is grown in those conditions.

The title of the thread may need to be rewritten: Did you know that chocolate is not actually good for you? It was thought that drinking red wine was good for you too (antioxidants) but that was disproven along with all alcohol consumption. I hate it when all the ‘good’ stuff is bad for you.

(I still have left over Snickers and Reese’s Peanut Butter cups I am slowly polishing off from Halloween and several bottles of red wine which I am now very slowly drinking.)
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-06-23, 03:30 PM
  #42  
Junior Member
 
rowerek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Treasure Coast/Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 120

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The amount of heavy metals depends on their concentration in the soil the beans are grown. The majority of chocolate, which I dearly love, is grown in those conditions.

The title of the thread may need to be rewritten: Did you know that chocolate is not actually good for you? It was thought that drinking red wine was good for you too (antioxidants) but that was disproven along with all alcohol consumption. I hate it when all the ‘good’ stuff is bad for you.

(I still have left over Snickers and Reese’s Peanut Butter cups I am slowly polishing off from Halloween and several bottles of red wine which I am now very slowly drinking.)
There was a time when muffins were considered healthy food and promoted mindlessly in Main Stream Media, eventually, somehow it came up to the surface that most muffins have high fat, sugar and calories, especially those that taste good.

Regarding red wine and heavy metals:
"Yes, there can be heavy metals in red wine. Heavy metals are naturally occurring elements that can be toxic to humans in high doses. Some common heavy metals found in red wine include:
  • Arsenic
  • Cadmium
  • Lead
  • Copper
  • Iron
  • Manganese
  • Nickel
  • Zinc
These metals can enter wine from a variety of sources, including the soil where the grapes are grown, the processing equipment used at the winery, and the type of packaging used to store and transport the wine."
rowerek is offline  
Old 11-06-23, 03:45 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4189 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
The issue with chocolate and heavy metals seems to be a combination of the composition of the soil and the propensity of the cocoa plant to concentrate those metals. That may be similar for red wine, though I know less about it.

I don't think we should get too worked up about these issues of contamination, though. There is no such thing as an environment (or a diet) wholly free of (heavy metals/radiation/biotoxins). (As you all surely know, bananas are radioactive). It's better to find the chocolates with low Pb and Cd (though as I noted above, I'm not sure that the CR report is the best guide for this), but unless you are eating many bars/day, I doubt that the consequences would be measurable.
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-06-23, 07:10 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
There was a time when muffins were considered healthy food and promoted mindlessly in Main Stream Media,
How long ago was that and I presume it was in the US?
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-06-23, 07:20 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

It was thought that drinking red wine was good for you too (antioxidants) but that was disproven along with all alcohol consumption. I hate it when all the ‘good’ stuff is bad for you.
I remember when the mainstream media picked up on the fact that red wine has traces of reservatrol which had proven to be effective in mouse longevity studies. Except they missed that the equivalent effective dose in humans would require drinking several hundred bottles of wine!
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-06-23, 08:06 PM
  #46  
Junior Member
 
rowerek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Treasure Coast/Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 120

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
How long ago was that and I presume it was in the US?
My guess was that the change in attitude was in 1990's, just in case I asked google:
"
Muffins became popular as a health food in the United States in the 1970s and 1980s.
...Muffins were marketed as a healthy breakfast food for all ages. They were often advertised as being low in fat and calories and high in fiber. Muffins were also seen as a good way to get children to eat their fruits and vegetables, as they could be made with a variety of fillings, such as blueberries, bananas, and carrots.

The popularity of muffins as a health food began to decline in the late 1980s and early 1990s. This was due to a number of factors ..."

About the same time, 1993, there was Seinfeld episode about "non-fat yogurt" that tasted to good to be true.
rowerek is offline  
Old 11-06-23, 08:13 PM
  #47  
Full Member
 
SW84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Pasco,WA
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
What scientists say is bad now, they will claim is good in 10-20 years. It happens in every aspect of life: food, climate, politics, etc.
SW84 is offline  
Likes For SW84:
Old 11-06-23, 08:33 PM
  #48  
Junior Member
 
rowerek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Treasure Coast/Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 120

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
What scientists say is bad now, they will claim is good in 10-20 years. It happens in every aspect of life: food, climate, politics, etc.
The scientists said in 1940's that cigarettes are causing cancer, and they are still saying the same today. Similar with many other harmful chemicals, food. But, sometimes it takes time to figure out what is going on, push back against forces of power and money, good example was DDT catastrophe (see Silent Spring).

However, as late as 1990's the tobacco industry was in denial:
"In 1994, seven CEOs of major tobacco companies testified before the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health and the Environment. They were all asked whether or not they believed that nicotine was addictive, and all seven of them said no.
One of the CEOs,
James W. Johnston of R.J. Reynolds, even went so far as to say that cigarettes and nicotine "clearly do not meet the classic definitions of addiction." He also said that he did not believe that smoking caused cancer or other diseases."
rowerek is offline  
Old 11-06-23, 08:55 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4189 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I remember when the mainstream media picked up on the fact that red wine has traces of reservatrol which had proven to be effective in mouse longevity studies. Except they missed that the equivalent effective dose in humans would require drinking several hundred bottles of wine!
Um, I must have missed something here. Is there something wrong with that? I mean, the day is long, isn't it?
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-06-23, 09:35 PM
  #50  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,867

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 5,199 Times in 2,717 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek
My guess was that the change in attitude was in 1990's, just in case I asked google:
"
Muffins became popular as a health food in the United States in the 1970s and 1980s.
...Muffins were marketed as a healthy breakfast food for all ages. They were often advertised as being low in fat and calories and high in fiber. Muffins were also seen as a good way to get children to eat their fruits and vegetables, as they could be made with a variety of fillings, such as blueberries, bananas, and carrots.

The popularity of muffins as a health food began to decline in the late 1980s and early 1990s. This was due to a number of factors ..."

About the same time, 1993, there was Seinfeld episode about "non-fat yogurt" that tasted to good to be true.
You sure chocolate muffins were not included as being healthy?

Then there are the chemicals in Red Vines. Red Dye #2?
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.