Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Old 11-17-23, 04:08 PM
  #101  
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,678

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Wtf is A-1 sauce?
Something you put on cube steak to make it taste like, well, something. Truthfully, the stuff is garbage.
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 11-17-23, 05:38 PM
  #102  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,602

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 1,917 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Something you put on cube steak to make it taste like, well, something. Truthfully, the stuff is garbage.
It has an interesting history.

https://www.mashed.com/243666/the-un...-of-a-1-sauce/
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-17-23, 05:54 PM
  #103  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 6,787

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 3,238 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's far safer and a lot healthier to eat meat than to take artificial supplements and eat fake foods.
Sounds like something a meat eater would say.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

Zwift: Terry Morse [OldAF]
ROUVY: terrymorse





terrymorse is offline  
Old 11-17-23, 06:11 PM
  #104  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Sounds like something a meat eater would say.
And he or she would be correct! 😉
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-17-23, 11:48 PM
  #105  
Grupetto Bob
 
rsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 5,867

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 5,198 Times in 2,716 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Sounds like something a meat eater would say.
Like total baloney? Or other processed meats?
__________________
Road 🚴🏾‍♂️ & Mountain 🚵🏾‍♂️







rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-18-23, 06:12 AM
  #106  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Simple solution for the simple minded seeking out "what is good for them" as recommended by a favorite or trendiest scientist, fitness guru or Internet/TV personality:
Every day for breakfast have a bowl full of the latest recommended vitamin pills or dietary supplements covered with A-1 Sauce. It will taste just like steak or fish and chips (covered in A-1 sauce.)
How about paying attention to real science? I would say that someone with a Masters degree in nutritional science would give better advice on nutrition than a YouTuber, TV presenter or even Wolfchild.
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 09:50 AM
  #107  
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,748
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 4,416 Times in 2,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Ah, ok that explains why I have never heard of it (phased out of UK market in the 70s).
PeteHski is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 10:55 AM
  #108  
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,602

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 1,917 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ah, ok that explains why I have never heard of it (phased out of UK market in the 70s).
Still in shelves here in the US, though I have no idea why. Ugh.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 11:35 AM
  #109  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Like total baloney? Or other processed meats?
That would be no different that eating a veggie burger… processed veggies!

Not every meat eater cares to eat processed meat. Here’s my dinner from last night after a nice ~18 mile ride:




A single lamb chop grilled to perfection, with grilled vegetables and a plate of salad (not in the photo) with fresh squeezed lime juice (no goopy junk from bottles that are found in most grocery stores). 😋

And no, we do not eat meat everyday, about 2-3 meals a week is average and always in moderation.
Alan K is offline  
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-18-23, 12:04 PM
  #110  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
I didn’t mean to turn this thread into food thread… come to think of it, it is a food thread. 😉
Some times pictures do better job than words.
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 01:05 PM
  #111  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 6,787

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 3,238 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
That would be no different that eating a veggie burger… processed veggies!

Not every meat eater cares to eat processed meat.
Comparing processed meats to "processed" veggies? When it comes to health, there's no comparison.

Red meat is associated with increased health risks, full stop. Processed meat is worse.

A simple "make at home" recipe for veggie burgers, from Johns Hopkins Medicine:

Ingredients

  • 5 cups rolled oats
  • 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp canned diced jalapeno peppers
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • ¾ tsp Spanish paprika
  • ⅛ tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 hamburger buns

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a food processor, place all the ingredients except the black beans. Pulse for 20 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary until the ingredients are finely chopped but still have some texture.
  4. Add all but 1 cup of beans and continue to pulse for 30–60 seconds until the beans start to break down and the ingredients begin to hold together. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
  5. Add remaining beans, and stir by hand. Form mixture into 7-ounce patties, and place on prepared baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until edges become crisp and patties start to hold together. Allow patties to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
Nutrition facts per one 200-gram patty: 230 calories, 36 grams of carbohydrates (including 11 grams of fiber), 10 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

Zwift: Terry Morse [OldAF]
ROUVY: terrymorse





terrymorse is offline  
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 11-18-23, 01:49 PM
  #112  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4188 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
If nature evolved man (or woman with the entire current battery of pronouns) to be vegan, it wouldn’t have him (add the rest of the corresponding descriptors so as to not feel offended) canines.

Being a vegan is an interesting evolutionary anomaly; a century ago without the knowledge of chemical synthesis or isolation procedures, it would be lethal and therefore, a dead end.
Still not sure how vegans get around the B-12 deficiency problem. I think they have decided that it's ok to consume yeast, as it's not actually in the Animal kingdom?
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 01:52 PM
  #113  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4188 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Personally, I manage the chore of taking a daily multivitamin. I figure it's a decent trade-off to the health risks of a meat-based diet (cardiovascular disease, colorectal cancer, type 2 diabetes).
If it works for you, so be it, but keep track of potential vitamin deficiencies (e.g., vitamin D, B-12, etc.) when you have your annual blood work done. As compared to naturally vitamin-rich foods, the absorption of vitamins from pills is very inefficient, and just swallowing the recommended daily allowances (or even multiples thereof) doesn't guarantee that you are getting the needed benefit.
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-18-23, 03:01 PM
  #114  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
If it works for you, so be it, but keep track of potential vitamin deficiencies (e.g., vitamin D, B-12, etc.) when you have your annual blood work done. As compared to naturally vitamin-rich foods, the absorption of vitamins from pills is very inefficient, and just swallowing the recommended daily allowances (or even multiples thereof) doesn't guarantee that you are getting the needed benefit.
Most vegans who start the practice under the influence of one of their friends or a bout with a life-altering episode of illness, and if they last longer than a year on vegan diet, they learn that chemistry isn’t after all their enemy. They start taking vitamin supplements… it’s just that I personally enjoy the very tasty bounty nature provides. As you can imagine, a multivitamin pill or a vitamin B12 pill isn’t going to taste nearly as delicious as a piece of meat straight out of charcoal grill. 😋😉
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 03:30 PM
  #115  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Comparing processed meats to "processed" veggies? When it comes to health, there's no comparison.

Red meat is associated with increased health risks, full stop. Processed meat is worse.

A simple "make at home" recipe for veggie burgers, from Johns Hopkins Medicine:

Ingredients

  • 5 cups rolled oats
  • 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp canned diced jalapeno peppers
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • ¾ tsp Spanish paprika
  • ⅛ tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 hamburger buns

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a food processor, place all the ingredients except the black beans. Pulse for 20 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary until the ingredients are finely chopped but still have some texture.
  4. Add all but 1 cup of beans and continue to pulse for 30–60 seconds until the beans start to break down and the ingredients begin to hold together. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
  5. Add remaining beans, and stir by hand. Form mixture into 7-ounce patties, and place on prepared baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until edges become crisp and patties start to hold together. Allow patties to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
Nutrition facts per one 200-gram patty: 230 calories, 36 grams of carbohydrates (including 11 grams of fiber), 10 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat.
Interesting recipe!
I will probably like it, and love it if I am famished (everything tastes good when you are hungry).

Now for a bit of very simple math on nutrition.

A healthy and active person consumes about 2500 calories per day, at least. Let’s for the sake of simplicity in calculations, say 2,300 calories would suffice. A person consuming a diet based on your recipe will need to eat equivalent of 2 kg of this material (we are not ruminants or nature would structure our jaws and teeth differently. This 2 kg would contain 260 gm of digestible carbohydrates and 60 gm of fat. Compare these numbers with my dinner, about 5-6 oz of meat with bone, prior to grilling, with no visible fat. Grilled vegetables, green salad with herbs and lime. Who would be at a higher risk of diabetes, clogged arteries etc.
And not to mention the all important obvious difference in deliciousness. 😉
[I do eat a lot of veggies, lentils/legumes, beans and grains but never had the inclination to delude myself that they are meatloaf or hamburgers. 😁]
By the way, I’m not trying to convince you to start eating meat, just so you know. I have many vegan and vegetarian friends, it is either like a religion to them or literally part of their religion. No counterpoint will ever be enough, regardless of rationale.
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 03:44 PM
  #116  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4188 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Most vegans who start the practice under the influence of one of their friends or a bout with a life-altering episode of illness, and if they last longer than a year on vegan diet, they learn that chemistry isn’t after all their enemy. They start taking vitamin supplements… it’s just that I personally enjoy the very tasty bounty nature provides. As you can imagine, a multivitamin pill or a vitamin B12 pill isn’t going to taste nearly as delicious as a piece of meat straight out of charcoal grill. 😋😉
It's not so simple. The vitamin B12 (cobolamin) in vitamin supplements (as well as in fortified foods) is not synthesized from inorganic reagents. Rather, it generally comes from various sources, including potentially animal products. Consequently, not all vitamin supplements are necessarily vegan. However, "vegan" vitamins (and many others) typically get their B12 from nutritional yeast. As yeast belongs to the Fungus kingdom, rather than Animal, I believe that vegans have decided that it is OK.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 04:10 PM
  #117  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 8,721

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,284 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
It's not so simple. The vitamin B12 (cobolamin) in vitamin supplements (as well as in fortified foods) is not synthesized from inorganic reagents. Rather, it generally comes from various sources, including potentially animal products. Consequently, not all vitamin supplements are necessarily vegan. However, "vegan" vitamins (and many others) typically get their B12 from nutritional yeast. As yeast belongs to the Fungus kingdom, rather than Animal, I believe that vegans have decided that it is OK.
In order for nutritional yeast to have vitamin B12 it has to fortified with artificial vitamin B12.... personally I prefer getting my daily dose of B12 from foods such as meat, kefir, yogurt, eggs and milk.
wolfchild is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 04:32 PM
  #118  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
It's not so simple. The vitamin B12 (cobolamin) in vitamin supplements (as well as in fortified foods) is not synthesized from inorganic reagents. Rather, it generally comes from various sources, including potentially animal products. Consequently, not all vitamin supplements are necessarily vegan. However, "vegan" vitamins (and many others) typically get their B12 from nutritional yeast. As yeast belongs to the Fungus kingdom, rather than Animal, I believe that vegans have decided that it is OK.
If you start looking at things objectively, you often encounter inconsistencies in most things that are based on a belief system. Yeast, bacteria and fungi are all living, as far as the biology goes, and so are plants. Virus lie in a questionable realm of their own - their life cycle relies on another living cell. Some consider them as living, others do not.
I do not know where the line is set by our contemporary vegans at this point. But I fully understand personal choices made by others for themselves. For example, my wife has a relatively limited things she would eat in the seafood category compared to I.

There are, if I recall correctly, a couple of varieties of bacteria in our own guts that make Vitamin B12 but nature being trickster some times, these bacteria inhabit out lower gut. The absorption of vitamins and most nutrients occurs in small intestine. But there is symbiotic relationship with bacteria in our gut and they do a lot of good for us - hence, killing them via broad spectrum antibiotics with every minor ailment has never been in our best interest. But Pharma has been fine with the practice. 😉
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 05:09 PM
  #119  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
[QUOTE] It's not so simple. The vitamin B12 (cobolamin) in vitamin supplements (as well as in fortified foods) is not synthesized from inorganic reagents. [/QUOTE]

Non of the complex organic molecules are synthesized from inorganic compounds, which is true for cyanocobalamin as well.

Depending on the structure of organic compound, one begins with a precursor compound either already present in nature (plant, bacteria, fungi etc) or produced synthetically, and make suitable alterations in its structure to produce the final product. Preference is given to the method that does the job simply and cheaply.
Cost considerations have led our chemical industry, like all other US industries, to become entirely dependent on China to provide all precursor compounds for pharmaceuticals - a self-destructive and very short-sighted policy from the perspective of whole society but a small segment of it benefits greatly so it goes on…
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 05:18 PM
  #120  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4188 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
If you start looking at things objectively, you often encounter inconsistencies in most things that are based on a belief system. Yeast, bacteria and fungi are all living, as far as the biology goes, and so are plants. Virus lie in a questionable realm of their own - their life cycle relies on another living cell. Some consider them as living, others do not.
I do not know where the line is set by our contemporary vegans at this point. But I fully understand personal choices made by others for themselves. For example, my wife has a relatively limited things she would eat in the seafood category compared to I.
I agree. The purely vegan idea gets kind of murky if examined very closely. Even plants themselves might be grown from soil fertilized with animal products (bone meal, manure).
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 05:21 PM
  #121  
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,673

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4188 Post(s)
Liked 2,884 Times in 1,773 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
In order for nutritional yeast to have vitamin B12 it has to fortified with artificial vitamin B12....
This is an interesting point. And the original source of "artificial" B12 could be an animal product.

OK, we are pretty far from chocolate now, aren't we....
MinnMan is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 06:18 PM
  #122  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
I have known many vegetarians and some vegans, including one of my sister-in-laws. They all seem to draw their own lines. In my opinion, bulk of it has little to do sound logic or science. My sister-in-law became a vegan several years ago and she based her living practices on some enlightened person who had written a few books and one her own close friends. When I was spoke to her, I couldn’t help but point out a few things to monitor but human nature being what it is, she carried on with her vegan practices. I saw her about six months later and she was truly puzzled that lately, she is loosing a lot of hair and many expensive concoctions that are for rubbing or spraying on her scalp aren’t working for her. I was finally able to have her reevaluate her strategy and correct the root (no pun intended) cause of the problem. It took her about 3-4 months after adding eggs to her vegan diet to see obvious improvements. [If a diet is limited in one or more essential amino acids, hair follicles would start failing to synthesize hair at normal pace and start becoming dormant, and finally dying. There would be numerous systemic issues not so overtly obvious but present.

Decades ago scientists learned that it is not easy to a create an animal model for vitamin Vitamin B12 research, usually mice and rats. I knew this scientist from Japan who said that even after giving entirely Vitamin B12 free diet for several months, his animals became slightly low but never deficient in Vitamin B12. Then he learned that the instinct to eat their droppings kicks in as a consequence of reduced level of B12, which is excreted in feces. He placed these animals in cages with wire mash at the bottom and problem was solved. Thankfully for our vegan friends, such measures would never apply. No one is studying B12 deficiency in humans…. unless, being a vegan is a fiendish plot of some scientists, and a study is already in progress. 😉
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 06:37 PM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Red meat is associated with increased health risks, full stop. Processed meat is worse.

A simple "make at home" recipe for veggie burgers, from Johns Hopkins Medicine:

Ingredients

  • 5 cups rolled oats
  • 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp canned diced jalapeno peppers
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • ¾ tsp Spanish paprika
  • ⅛ tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 6 hamburger buns

Please provide a link to a scientific publication you consider sufficiently credible to support your assertion with full stop.

Interesting thing about science is that there is rarely, if ever a full stop. A scientist must always test and re-test previous hypothesis for their validity as and when new methods for assessment become available.

I do understand your comment, a product of our times… we have seen a good bit of it from our own Mr. Science during the Corona virus fiasco.

As for Johns Hopkins or any institute for that matter, which advocates you eat canned food - I would think again! Remember all cans are lined with Bisphenol A (BPA), which isn’t fit for human consumption. If you do not have time to cook beans, make them in large quantity on free day and freeze them in meal size portions. If canning is important, use glass jars - never metal cans lined with plastic of any sort.
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 06:42 PM
  #124  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
This is an interesting point. And the original source of "artificial" B12 could be an animal product.

OK, we are pretty far from chocolate now, aren't we....
Yes, true enough!

Teuscher chocolate, here I come. 😋
Alan K is offline  
Old 11-18-23, 06:49 PM
  #125  
climber has-been
 
terrymorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 6,787

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 3,238 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K

Please provide a link to a scientific publication you consider sufficiently credible to support your assertion with full stop.
When conclusions of multiple studies are inconsistent, a review and meta-analysis is often useful:

Consumption of red meat and processed meat and cancer incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies

"...This comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis study showed that high red meat intake was positively associated with risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer, colorectal cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, lung cancer, and hepatocellular carcinoma, and high processed meat intake was positively associated with risk of breast, colorectal, colon, rectal, and lung cancers."

-- Farvid MS, Sidahmed E, Spence ND, Mante Angua K, Rosner BA, Barnett JB. Consumption of red meat and processed meat and cancer incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Eur J Epidemiol. 2021 Sep;36(9):937-951. doi: 10.1007/s10654-021-00741-9. Epub 2021 Aug 29. PMID: 34455534.
__________________
Ride, Rest, Repeat

Zwift: Terry Morse [OldAF]
ROUVY: terrymorse





terrymorse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.