Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your cadence?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your cadence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
85-95 on flat terrain. 75-80 on climbs.
I assume you're sitting on climbs? I do a lot of standing on climbs just to change things up and my cadence is in the 50's then.
I have made a concerted effort over the last couple of years to increase my cadence on other terrain. Best way has been to do a lot of zone 2 training rides on an indoor bike where I can simulate flat terrain and ride a steady 90 rpms for an hour plus. Was 80 rpm's when I started.
Old 04-18-24, 11:21 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3448 Post(s)
Liked 3,591 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey
I assume you're sitting on climbs? I do a lot of standing on climbs just to change things up and my cadence is in the 50's then.
When climbing in the saddle, my cadence is 75-85.

Climbing out of the saddle, I’ll click up 1-2 gears and maintain a cadence in the high 60s or low 70s.

Old 04-19-24, 05:34 AM

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
My happy spot cadence-wise is 85. But I had to work up to that, as I was a low rpm masher type. I find it much easier on my knees, and I like that I can spin faster if I need or want to dial things up a bit. I may have put too much emphasis on cadence, so now I work too on putting out power instead of always dropping gears to spin.
Old 04-20-24, 07:38 AM
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I ride single speed so I reckon the range is about 40-150. Back calculated from a typical speed on a flat trail, I spend a lot of time in the low 90s with a 42/17. It would be upper 80s with 42/16.

Otto
Old 04-21-24, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 366 Posts
I was doing a Zwift workout yesterday that called for 110 cadence at a low wattage and it made it feel easy. At higher wattage it didn't specify cadence but I kept it 90-100. Only during recovery intervals did it drop to 80. But when I ride outside I generally have no idea about cadence even though I have it displayed on my computer. I just never give it much thought anymore.