Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Friend, the Bikini Man

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My Friend, the Bikini Man

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 10:39 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have mentioned him in previous posts this last year, but I had another encounter with him the last couple of days.

The bikini man is 72, almost 73. In the summer he wears absolutely nothing but a good pair of shoes and a bikini brief. No padding, not chamois, no lubricant, no cow udder salve. Just a bikini. Following from behind it is VERY EASY to verify what he wears (and doesn't).

He generally rides 40 mile rides daily in my riding area. He used to be a bike racer in England, and moved to the US of A 50 years ago. He is very slight, and has the typical build of a bike racer. He goes fast - I can't keep up with him. He rides a retro fifties 10 speed classic bike with downtube shifters, and a classic ring-a-ding bell.

He rebuilds older bikes, doing a lot of internet research and bidding to get the parts he needs.

About 3 months ago, a horse and rider crossed suddenly in front of him, and the horse kicked him, breaking 5 ribs and his shoulder blade. As he lay prostrate on the grass, the horse rider asked if he was injured, and he replied he "Hurt like hell" at which time the horse and rider trotted off.

Another bicyclist (whom he had just assisted fixing a flat) came by and assisted him to help and his wife took him to the hospital, and he has been off the bike 2.5 months. The last couple of days were his first back on the bicycle, and he still had a big lump on his shoulder blade of fluid that he was going to see the doc about today.

We have had several friendly chats. He lives a bit south of me, and has more hills to climb than I do. He always rides solo.

Isn't it fun meeting individuals who enrich our lives so much with their experiences?

That is one of the best aspects of bicycling - all the varied folks you can meet if you take your time.

By the way, I have never asked him why he wears only the bikini and shoes. Never had the courage!

So, what about the "characters" the rest of you meet? Tell us about them!
Old 09-20-05, 11:39 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=DnvrFox]

By the way, I have never asked him why he wears only the bikini and shoes. Never had the courage!
QUOTE]

Some questions are best left unasked.
Old 09-21-05, 07:06 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't meet the same caliber of character that the fox bumps into, but there is one. On my morning excersize rides (in the dark) I routinely see an old man. He is African American and riding a classic single speed bike. The bike has a nice headlamp, plus one of those high visability pennants in the back. In addition, the man wears a dayglo vision vest like a roadway contractor. I say hi to just about everyone I meet at that hour and he is no exception. He always waves in return and smiles. I don't see him everyday, but we now cross paths routinely and I find I look forward to seeing him. I believe he is riding to work somewhere. A real gentleman!
Old 09-21-05, 07:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Now that the LBS employees know me by name, I often see them (in full spandex & road racer garb) while I'm out exercising. They always greet me by name as they blow by... I'm amused at their kit and often speed up to their pace for a while just to see if I can.

The biggest character I encounter is a bald headed guy that's my weight, but about a foot shorter than I. He rides an OLD and HEAVY MTB on the paved roads & bicycle paths around the lakes. His average speed is about 25-30 mph! He speaks to nobody, won't reply to greetings, and leaves everybody else in his dust. I don't know how he does it, but I see him regularly. Wish I could match his speed even with my red racer!
Old 09-21-05, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without doubt, we should all dress in bikini bottoms on our birthday rides. Bare chested and all. Closest thing to a birthday suit that we could have. Then, we'd recognise a fellow over 50 forum member and could all join in singing "Happy birthday to you...Happy birthday to you..."
Old 09-21-05, 08:00 PM
Banned.

I've mentioned "Bob" before, but I will give it a go again, as there are a lot of new folks here.

Bob is 67, and rides the EXACT same route of 40 miles every day. He has it measured to the exact foot. In fact, since he doesn't have an odometer, he has had me measure the distances for him.

Bob wears no helmet, instead sporting a brown baseball cap. He wears a bright flourescent green vest for visibility. There is no way I can keep up with him - except one time going up a hill, he had a mtn bike and I had a roadie, and I did manage for a short time to keep his pace. He now rides a roadie exclusively.

Bob used to do marathons, and he trained for a marathon the exact same way he trains on his bicycle now.

A few weeks back, Bob wanted to ride his age on his birthday, and he was all set, and about half way through, when he had a flat. Evidently he carries no extra tubes or flat fixing equipment as he had to limp back and failed to ride the 67 miles.

So, the next week he tried again, and had another flat. I came across him at the trailhead where he was attempting to fix the flat, to no avail. I lent him an extra tube, and a lady in a car at the trailhead had a high pressure presta 12V pump, and he was on his way, and finished his 67 miles.

The next day he waved me down and wanted to know where I lived so he could replace the tube. I told him not to worry about it, be he truly INSISTED. So, the next day he rode through our circuitous heighborhood, found my house and placed a new tube on my porch.

For the longest time, I tried to get Bob to return my "hello" and wave on the trail, with no success. Finally, one day, he did, and when we measured the exact 40 miles, we talked a bit.

I later found out that all the girls know Bob, but I didn't. Seems he has an eye for the young ladies riding on the trail. I was just the wrong sex!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-21-05 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 08:07 PM
Banned.

Then there is a lady rider whom we call, "The lady who looks like a man."

Truly, she does.

She rides regularly, and at times I talk with her. This year she hired a "trainer" to help her increase her speed. She is NOT very fast, but rides an expensive litespeed and has two different of the very best poseur lycra matching outfits.

She started riding with a lady friend, sort of giving me a clue about her sexual preferences. One day I talked to her "friend" and the friend told me all about her husband, once again blowing my stupid assumptions out of the water!

And, this year I discovered that the lady who looks like a man smokes. A lot. So, here she is spending money to hire a trainer to go faster, and then lighting up at the end of a run!!

And her lady friend told me that she and her husband had tried their very best to get her to stop, to no avail. And I tried, again with no success.

Well, anyway, we have a pretty interesting trail system!
Old 09-21-05, 08:22 PM
Banned.

And then there is this guy who sometimes dresses all up in lycra, riding a fancy Lemond with SPD riding sandals, and says "Hi" to everyone. But sometimes he rides a less expensive roadie with a rack and a pannier, wearing shorts or levis and tennies, still saying "Hi" to everyone and ringing his bell and stopping when there are kids who might cross the trail or dogs near the trail.

Folks get to know him and anticipate his bell, and many say "Thanks" after he rings the bell to warn them he is passing.

And sometimes he rides a beat up old mtn bike - Specialized HR - also with a rack and pannier and wedge - again dressed to the nines in levis and tennies and an old sweatshirt.

Oops!

That guy is ME!
Old 09-21-05, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'd be cool if he joined our forum. I'm always amazed when someone his age can ride circles around most 20 year olds.
Old 09-21-05, 09:29 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's not really a rider....he's more of a cycling camp follower, hanger on type. Not knowing his name, I call him Miguelito for Miguel Indurain, though he is far shorter but equally fierce of spirit. Nearly human, he is mostly chihuahua. Early this year, while passing a farm house, I sensed motion near my foot and saw him racing beside my ankle trying to take nips. He tripped and fell and rolled in the dirt. I was charmed instantly so I stopped, but he wouldn't come near. Because he lives on an access road I use frequently, I began to see him almost daily. I would always stop, and each time he came a bit closer. One day we did finger to nose contact. And went on to become friends. Because I had a regular riding time, he worked me into his schedule, waiting daily at the road-side mailbox. One day I got caught in the rain...but Miguelito was faithfully sitting by the box soaking wet. I broke my rule and offered him a piece of Clif bar. About a month ago, I came by like usual, but no Miguelito. Kid toys were absent from the driveway and it looked like the migrant family living there had moved. Me and Mig. A kind of sweet summer romance that ended too soon. I do miss him.
Old 09-24-05, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport, Schwinn Mesa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
He's not really a rider....he's more of a cycling camp follower, hanger on type. Not knowing his name, I call him Miguelito for Miguel Indurain, though he is far shorter but equally fierce of spirit. Nearly human, he is mostly chihuahua. Early this year, while passing a farm house, I sensed motion near my foot and saw him racing beside my ankle trying to take nips. He tripped and fell and rolled in the dirt. I was charmed instantly so I stopped, but he wouldn't come near. Because he lives on an access road I use frequently, I began to see him almost daily. I would always stop, and each time he came a bit closer. One day we did finger to nose contact. And went on to become friends. Because I had a regular riding time, he worked me into his schedule, waiting daily at the road-side mailbox. One day I got caught in the rain...but Miguelito was faithfully sitting by the box soaking wet. I broke my rule and offered him a piece of Clif bar. About a month ago, I came by like usual, but no Miguelito. Kid toys were absent from the driveway and it looked like the migrant family living there had moved. Me and Mig. A kind of sweet summer romance that ended too soon. I do miss him.
This is silly, but I am sitting here with damp eyes after reading this...but then I AM a dog lover.

I hope to become the "character" in someone elses story.
"Every morning, as I'm waiting at the school bus stop, this old bald guy on a Schwinn goes by and yells 'GOOD MORNING KIDS...HAVE A GREAT DAY AT SCHOOL!' It always seems to help."
Some where some one is telling that story...I hope.