Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Acid Reflux and aloe vera

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 02:52 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts

I'm posting this here and not in the training and nutrition thread. I checked out acid reflux but I didn't find my remedy: aloe vera juice.

I have been using aloe vera juice for a few years and it seems to help. I drink a few ounces just before bedtime. Do any of you use this? If so, I am interested in the different brands. I go to a health food store and use "Lilly of the Desert" brand. Its expensive but does not taste watered down like some other brands.
Old 12-09-05, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I have no experience with Aloe but OTC Prilosec works great for me...even when I break the tablet in two. That saves a lot of money over the course of a year.
Old 12-09-05, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, my remedy for years has been Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar, with the "mother". I use about a teaspoon or two in 6-8 oz. of water. This is a "live" vinegar. It's actually still living and breathing.

Paul Bragg (founder) was the influence behind Jack Lalanne. Jack was a pretty sick kid when he visited one of Pauls health revivals that traveled around the country. Paul took Jack under his wing, and the rest is history (still unfolding). Paul was one the originators of the natural health lifestyle. He died at the age of 90 . . . while participating in a surfing championship off the coast of Hawaii.
Old 12-09-05, 09:17 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 769 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by oldcrank
FWIW, my remedy for years has been Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar, with the "mother". I use about a teaspoon or two in 6-8 oz. of water. This is a "live" vinegar. It's actually still living and breathing.

Paul Bragg (founder) was the influence behind Jack Lalanne. Jack was a pretty sick kid when he visited one of Pauls health revivals that traveled around the country. Paul took Jack under his wing, and the rest is history (still unfolding). Paul was one the originators of the natural health lifestyle. He died at the age of 90 . . . while participating in a surfing championship off the coast of Hawaii.

crazy world, coincidence... I work here at Bragg Live Foods...
Vinegar Drink - the guys here in the tech/graphics/marketing side do a 'drink' thing every day at 2pm.
I have lots of good stories about ACV - but its not for everyone, some people have yeast problems which this might exascerbate. visit the website for a bit more info - www.bragg.com
works great for settling a lot of systemtic pH issues - my son is a believer, his acne was 'tamed' by regular use of it. He's prolly more regular on it than I am...
this is not health advice - consult your health advisor - yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 12-09-05, 09:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My best "cure" for acid reflux is to not eat a large meal before bedtime. That seems to work most of the time.
Old 12-09-05, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
crazy world, coincidence... I work here at Bragg Live Foods...
Vinegar Drink - the guys here in the tech/graphics/marketing side do a 'drink' thing every day at 2pm.
I have lots of good stories about ACV - but its not for everyone, some people have yeast problems which this might exascerbate. visit the website for a bit more info - www.bragg.com
works great for settling a lot of systemtic pH issues - my son is a believer, his acne was 'tamed' by regular use of it. He's prolly more regular on it than I am...
this is not health advice - consult your health advisor - yadda, yadda, yadda
It most certainly is . . . especially since I worked in the tech/graphics/marketing dept. at Rodale for 15 years -- which Bragg advertised with back then (Prevention magazine).

You mentioned T-town velodrome in a previous post. I'm wondering if perhaps we actually know one another -- or at least crossed paths at one time. Wouldn't that be something?

I was raised under the philosophies of Bragg and Rodale. Actually, this was considered pretty "weird" by the general population back in those days (60's/70's) . . . homemade yogurts, whole grain breads, vitamins, exercise, fresh air, sunshine, health & vitality, etc.

Funny how times change.

As for ACV, the correct body and blood pH levels are of utmost importance -- and is primarily the reason for my own personal usage. Throw a tropical fish into water with the wrong pH and one will quickly see how important it is.We carry our own oceans around with us internally.

Nice to "meet" someone working at Bragg. I have all of their publications, and swear by them.

FarHorizon, your advice certainly is the best of all . . . an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 12-10-05, 12:02 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 769 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by oldcrank
It most certainly is . . . especially since I worked in the tech/graphics/marketing dept. at Rodale for 15 years -- which Bragg advertised with back then (Prevention magazine).

You mentioned T-town velodrome in a previous post. I'm wondering if perhaps we actually know one another -- or at least crossed paths at one time. Wouldn't that be something?

I was raised under the philosophies of Bragg and Rodale. Actually, this was considered pretty "weird" by the general population back in those days (60's/70's) . . . homemade yogurts, whole grain breads, vitamins, exercise, fresh air, sunshine, health & vitality, etc.

Funny how times change.
Possible we might have rubbed elbows at the snack bar waiting for our velo-wedges
I started riding back when it 1st opened, before there were even boards up. When that went up, then spectator stands and the walkover bridge, it became truly a great facility. I rode regularly until about 83, when I moved down to MD, near annapolis, the haul up was done a few times before I finally had to abandon that. I did ride Vet nationals there, the two times held there, in 84 and some time early 90s.

Also a great fan of Bob's and the whole Rodale pubs and company. Read the stuff regularly for many years. My mother still gets a Prevention gift subscription from us regularly - for me its a little too 'supplements' oriented these days...

I make it back east once a year these days, for the month of June to spend time with my parents. I'd love to do a 50+ day out there in Lehigh County. I remember it as all open farmlands and woods - some of the finest cycling days I've ever had. Maybe do a day ride, have some eats and then go spend the evening watching the action at T-town... would be great fun combine 50+ and T-town.

my sincerest apologies to Garfield Cat for the 'hijack', now back to your regularly scheduled 'thread'...
Old 12-13-05, 06:36 PM

Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Acid reflux treatments in the USA are so typically American. They treat the symptom (excess acidity) and not the cause. I had a yeast problem and the acidity was the old body's way of trying to get rid of it. Acud reducers encouraged yeast growth, making the problem worse. Once I began treating the problem, the reflux went away.
Oh yeah, I know "yeast" problems don't actually exist, according to some doctors. Having lived with and through it,it is clear these doctors just don't know about it.
Bottom line; figure out the cause and treat that.
Old 12-13-05, 07:21 PM

Bikes: 1981 schwinn cross road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesn't work for everyone... but it does for a lot of folks. do not drink anything when you eat until at least 1/2 hour after the meal. 1 hour is even better, then drink all you want. do this for a few days and see what happens.

medical rationale is... the excess fluids will dilute the stomach acids and prevent proper digestion.

al