Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Was Anyone Else a Paperboy?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Was Anyone Else a Paperboy?

Old 09-05-21, 10:29 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I wasnít ever a paper boy but I was a bike messenger in Baltimore back in the late 80ís for a while
Old 09-06-21, 05:22 AM
'02 nrs
royaloaker

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 299 Posts
For sure.

Early '60's , collecting $$$ was the hard part.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 09-06-21, 01:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite View Post
Hey! Today (September 4) is National Newspaper Carrier Day!
I salute all you other hard-working brothers and sisters of yesteryear.
If you haven't already posted previously in this thread, or even if you have, let's hear your story.
And if you still have it, show us your bag!
I last delivered the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin in 1962 and no longer have my bag, but my cousin gave me her late brother's bag about a decade ago. John was at lest six years older than me so I assume this bag was last used in the late 50's.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-06-21, 01:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD View Post
I was a paperboy for a long time. The Philadelphia Daily News in the late 70s was one of two afternoon papers. The Bulletin ent under and I doubled my route. As the small kids quit I juts took the routes ans expanded I had a post war early 50s Schwiinn Cruiser with a springer and a giant Wald basket.<it was an absolute beast to pedal but every say after school I was grinding the neighborhood. I took out a loan from the older paperboy that was quitting for $15 and paid over 3 weeks for it. I later bought an early 70s Schwinn Varsity 10 spd and used a bag until I got a Motorcycle a 1981 Yamaha DT 250 Enduro. The paper route kept me in gas, oil and tires. Those were the days.
I don't know what kind of bicycle I used back then to deliver papers, but it had a big basket in front in which I placed the paper bag with some of papers already folded for a fling off the bike while still moving. Handling was always touchy and I remember once dumping a load of papers into the street when I got fouled up in the 52 trolley's tracks at a location near where this photo was taken. The 52 trolley line was converted to bus service in 1956 but the tracks were still there for many years waiting to trap careless or unwary bike riders. I remember squashing pennies on the tracks via the 52 trolley wheels prior to 1956 as I lived nearby.
Old 09-06-21, 02:18 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite View Post
From Bicycling! magazine, December 1977.
I just wanted to give these two kids some recognition.

Interesting, almost hard to believe, knowing how heavy stacks of paper can be.

I was recently moving comparable amount of National Geographic and the estimated weight was a few hundred pounds (300-400lb?). My car, minivan Honda Odyssey was visibly overloaded in the back, and the real suspension sagging, and yet this bike rear tire is barely giving in. I do not even want to discuss the stability of such an arrangement.

Well, after all the photo is from the Internet.
Old 09-06-21, 02:57 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (6); Specialized (2); Kestrel (2); Centurion (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Cannondale (1); Fuji (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek View Post
In 1977? Not likely.
I scanned it in directly from the Bicycling! Dec 1977 issue.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 09-06-21, 03:18 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by rowerek View Post
Interesting, almost hard to believe, knowing how heavy stacks of paper can be.

I was recently moving comparable amount of National Geographic and the estimated weight was a few hundred pounds (300-400lb?). My car, minivan Honda Odyssey was visibly overloaded in the back, and the real suspension sagging, and yet this bike rear tire is barely giving in. I do not even want to discuss the stability of such an arrangement.

I was wondering the same thing. My best guess is this was a publicity shot with everything being specially prepped, including tire pressure?
Old 09-06-21, 05:41 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
The other rather confusing features of this photo are the shadows, one can see the bike's front wheel shadow somewhat recognizable, the rest is a smudge with the shadow of the boy sitting on the pile missing (~8ft), and car shadows either missing or pointing to different light/sun direction.
Old 09-07-21, 02:25 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 380 Posts
My first job in junior high was delivering The Dallas Morning News. I actually hated it. Did that for 6 months then jot a job at our dollar movie theater. But the other day I was thinking.... I've got a paycheck every month of my life since I was 14 years old haha. I rarely see teenagers with jobs anymore, even the few paper deliveries I see are adults in cars. It seems like it's all adults working the minimum wage jobs now but of course they think they deserve to get paid big bucks as if those jobs are intended to support families which they aren't.