Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I too slow for a century

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 08:51 AM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am waiting till the very last minute to sign up for the Santa Fe Century coming up on May 21, because I can't decide what to do. I've been riding for fun and training, and all I can manage is 10.5 miles an hour average. That's doing long rides with hills and rollers and flats, which is what the Santa Fe will involve. It's not a race, and I want to enjoy it, but the math tells me that is going to be one loooong day.

Watching my computer, I average 6-7 mph going uphill, and 22-26 going down. I am not comfortable going faster than that on the downhill. I don't stand when I climb or push it; I spin in low gears and plug along.

The Santa Fe also has 50, 75 mile and other routes. I had planned to do the 100.

Whenever I ride, people just blow by me all the time, but they tend to be racer-types and it doesn't bother me. But now I'm wondering if I'm just too pokey to ride this whole thing.
Old 05-07-06, 11:51 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
I am waiting till the very last minute to sign up for the Santa Fe Century coming up on May 21, because I can't decide what to do. I've been riding for fun and training, and all I can manage is 10.5 miles an hour average. That's doing long rides with hills and rollers and flats, which is what the Santa Fe will involve. It's not a race, and I want to enjoy it, but the math tells me that is going to be one loooong day.

Watching my computer, I average 6-7 mph going uphill, and 22-26 going down. I am not comfortable going faster than that on the downhill. I don't stand when I climb or push it; I spin in low gears and plug along.

The Santa Fe also has 50, 75 mile and other routes. I had planned to do the 100.

Whenever I ride, people just blow by me all the time, but they tend to be racer-types and it doesn't bother me. But now I'm wondering if I'm just too pokey to ride this whole thing.
Two weeks time (MAY 20TH) and I will up against 399 spotty infants- with all the latest gear, all the fitness training it is possible to get and a sense of humour that I do not enjoy. I do get annoyed when someone calls me grandad. First hour and I will find the ones that are down to my level- 2nd hour and I will find the ones that did not prepare well enough. THEN I start working. After a stop at the 2 hour mark to change clothing (Hopefully) from a cool 6 am start, but the sun will be warming everything up considerably (Still Hoping) we start to hit the hills. At 35 miles we stop for coffee and snack- around 12ish we will have our pasta bake and coffee. Then we hit the 65 mile mark where most of the ones behind us will be stopping. 20 miles from home and the first of the last 3 big hills- and lots take one look and abandon here. Then in that last twenty miles we try to encourage the walkers up the hills. Get to the end (Hopefully) to find that at least 50% have already abandoned.

The winners on this ride are the ones that do it. It is obvious who the losers are. But Even I have abandoned on this ride. This is a hard ride- but how did I know that I could do it when I first attempted it in 94. I still don't know if I can do it this year- but unless I attempt it- I will never know.

Think you can do the 100? even if it takes a long time GO FOR IT and don't be ashamed if you don't do it- Count it as experience for next year. As a guide- The fastest I have done this ride in is 9.2 mph.--- But I finished.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-07-06, 12:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1. The SFC has hardly any long down hills. So you don't need to worry about that.

2. I like to leave early in the morning. I am out by 5 am, with just a few other riders. That way I have lots of time to finish, and I just take my time. I stay at a motel on the route, and just leave the motel directly without going to "headquarters." A lot of folks do that. Stay somewhere on Cerrillos and you can go right out the door, assuming you checked in and got your stuff the evening before.

This is how many other riders were out when I left!

3. It is your choice as to what is "fun" for you. Riding so you reach a goal you have set, or riding for the enjoyment of the ride. My wife does the 25 mile ride on the SFC because that is what she enjoys. IOW, how important is it to you to have completed a "Century?"

Certainly, if you get out early, and if you average 10 mph, you will finish at a decent hour. And, yes, there will be hotshots streaming by you who finish in less than 6 hours. Ignore them!

But mostly, have fun (whatever that is to you).

FWIW, I have never been impressed with the "sagging" process on the SFC.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-07-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-07-06, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the average much. My first double century was a laugh in many ways. I did some light training and I was pumped for the ride and that seemed to be enough to keep me going.

The first day (century one) was very similar to the ride you are expecting. I saw the same thing you fear... You riding along and peolple just zooming by you. The funny part is, you take a quick stop at the breakpoint, or even ride right by them and next thing you know, a half hour later, the same little club riders are zooming by you again. This went on all day.

Day two, the ride started with a headwind and 30 miles of climbing. The sag-rate was close to 40%! yes, 40%! Climbing stamina is a virtue, even slow. A lot of the sprinters simply cannot tolerate the trudgery. They're not happy unless their line of sight is almost a virtigo haze with white stripes streaming by.

I was riding a steel framed Norco with mountian slicks. Very stable and a good roller. If speed scares you, take a look at why... Is your bike strong enough to avoid wheel wobble at, say 30-40mph? Does it feel tight in corners? If not, you may want to get a better ride. I've aways liked mountain bikes for this reason, they seem a lot more stable than most road bikes especially if your not that stable yourself (the becoming one with the machine~ thing eludes me).

10-12 hours on a century is not shabby. You won't be the last across the line and why do you need to be first anyway. Century rides are for the ride, not the speed.
Old 05-07-06, 06:20 PM

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in New Mexico and used to do the SF Century regularly. I don't think you're too slow, but that is going to be one hard day in the saddle for someone with the fitness that your average speed might indicate. For one thing, it's between 4000 and 5000 feet of climbing. The wind generally kicks up at the end of the day and it's going to be hot (already in the mid-80s here today.)

If I were in your shoes, I might consider the 50. Long way to drive for less than 100, but at least you'll enjoy yourself. The shorter route includes one of the big 3 climbs and adds another long uphill crawl that the 100 milers will be heading down.

It's a personal choice of course - I've seen people doing it on cruisers and Stingrays. But, I think you might be in for a bit of a struggle.
Old 05-07-06, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
The winners on this ride are the ones that do it. It is obvious who the losers are. Think you can do the 100? even if it takes a long time GO FOR IT and don't be ashamed if you don't do it- Count it as experience for next year.
+1 on this.

Remember to start tapering the week before the ride.
Old 05-07-06, 08:35 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody. A friend of mine who has done this also leaves very early and advised that. I think I'll head out early, and have a great day no matter what. If I bail, I have two options: My husband will be reachable via cellphone, and /or we have some good friends who live about 70 miles into the 100 route. But I'm really encouraged by Stapfam, who finished averaging 9.2 mph. Dnvr Fox, you always have a great attitude. Shaman sez 10-12 hours is not shabby, and Trogon is giving me stuff to think about. One thing: I can climb all day long. I live at 7,880 feet and go up and up for hours and hours. I'm just the turtle and not the hare.
Old 05-07-06, 09:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Blue-you'll go a little faster because there are others out there plus the adrenaline affect. Hey-if you can play golf all day you can pedal a bike all day!!

Just a thought but is the route such that if you see the ride "has stopped being fun" you can make it a shorter ride than 100 by chance?
Old 05-07-06, 10:01 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Blue,

I've already signed up for this one as my first century. While I've been averaging a blistering 14-15mph on my long rides , I still have doubts about my ability to do 4500ft of vertical in one day. If you really can "climb all day", get an early start and you'll be fine.

Denver,

If you get going at 5am , are the aid stations even open when you show up there? Leaving early does seem like a good plan.

Nick
Old 05-07-06, 10:03 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good stuff above. Start early so you don't feel rushed and can Stop whenever you like. Set a conservative pace for yourself and don't, lemming like, pick up more speed than you want because a paceline flies by. If possible, find a like-minded/like-paced group or partner. Non hammerheads can be very supportive on long, organized rides. Things go better when you can converse at times. You're riding for fun and to explore this new notion of "century". Any finish, even if you come in at dusk...or in the back of the SAG wagon after 75 miles....is an achievement well beyond 90% of your peers.

You already know your butt will hurt, your back grow stiff, etc. so smile when it happens...most everyone else is probably feeling the same to some degree. Sometimes your attitude and confidence begin to wear out sooner than your body. Stay as positive as possible. You know the usual stuff about eating, hydrating, stretching on & off the bike. You'll go a long way and, finish the 100 or not, you'll be soaked in endorphins as well as sweat, perhaps have a new goal in cycling-- or at least a clearer sense of your style of riding for now.